AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2010-11-22, 08:57   Link #21
sho87
Banned

She's the feisty, oversexxed, token main female seen in every popular manga. Just as generic and boring as Natsu. Rips off Nami, Bulma and Sakura.

She's supposed to be the main lead.
sho87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 12:58   Link #22
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho87 View Post
She's the feisty, oversexxed, token main female seen in every popular manga. Just as generic and boring as Natsu. Rips off Nami, Bulma and Sakura.

She's supposed to be the main lead.
I'd argue Erza is more oversexed; playboy bunny outfit anyone? But even then, compared to other series I've seen, Fairy Tail is far from oversexed. Once you get around for awhile, you'll see that Fairy Tail is very tame in that regard. There is occasional fanservice, but it's isolated and doesn't overtake the plot.

And believe me, I generally hate fanservice and have nitpicked where it's popped up before.

Still, I'll agree that I'd like to see her upfront more and doing stuff, having multiple serious fights rather than just one an arc. She is one of the main female leads after all. But it's not too bad, so this is only a nitpick.

However, I'd take issue that she rips off Nami and Bulma; the latter two never fought. In shounen series, it's mainly the guys fighting, so it's a large reason why I like Fairy Tail, because the girl's can kick as much ass; Erza especially. And Lucy is being foreshadowed as being just as strong once she reaches her full potential.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 14:23   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I'd argue Erza is more oversexed; playboy bunny outfit anyone? But even then, compared to other series I've seen, Fairy Tail is far from oversexed. Once you get around for awhile, you'll see that Fairy Tail is very tame in that regard. There is occasional fanservice, but it's isolated and doesn't overtake the plot.

And believe me, I generally hate fanservice and have nitpicked where it's popped up before.

Still, I'll agree that I'd like to see her upfront more and doing stuff, having multiple serious fights rather than just one an arc. She is one of the main female leads after all. But it's not too bad, so this is only a nitpick.

However, I'd take issue that she rips off Nami and Bulma; the latter two never fought. In shounen series, it's mainly the guys fighting, so it's a large reason why I like Fairy Tail, because the girl's can kick as much ass; Erza especially. And Lucy is being foreshadowed as being just as strong once she reaches her full potential.
To be fair out of Nami, Lucy, and Bulma, it's Bulma that's the only one that doesn't fight. Nami might not be much of a melee fighter, but she's hardly not fighting in the arcs.

Would be nice to see Lucy get into more fights and get as involved as the others. Still she does get her moments like fighting the members of that dark guild on her own. Think in part it's because of Lucy not recognizing her own strengths. Has all these strong characters surrounding her and doesn't see how useful she is. She pretty much said in it the last few episodes in not seeing herself as being the least useful in a fight. Think it will require some more confidence before we see Lucy fighting even more within each arc.
Old 2010-11-23, 00:27   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

While it's perfectly fun to see Lucy fight, I'm more than happy to see her stress over rent, stress over never having a boyfriend (despite being drop-dead gorgeous) and generally be a neurotic mess.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 10:08   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm more than happy to see her stress over rent, stress over never having a boyfriend (despite being drop-dead gorgeous) and generally be a neurotic mess.
Gotta agree with this. Personally i find that Lucy is the source of all the funny jokes that we've seen in Fairy Tail, and as long as she keeps on delivering, then i'll forever love her.

Sure she doesn't fight as much as compared to Natsu, Gray or Erza, though that's totally understandable.
Old 2010-11-23, 13:57   Link #26
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
While it's perfectly fun to see Lucy fight, I'm more than happy to see her stress over rent, stress over never having a boyfriend (despite being drop-dead gorgeous) and generally be a neurotic mess.
True she does bring the comedy and freaking out over things is fun. Really they hit it in the Phantom arc with saying those qualities are Lucy. Some more fights would be good, but can't lose those hilarious qualities.
Old 2010-11-29, 19:07   Link #27
kitten320

I do hope to see Lucy develope in power eventually, we saw her potential back in Loke arc.
Old 2011-01-10, 22:02   Link #28
Naiwen

I am a huge, LokeXLucy fan... though I can see it's more one-sided. But yeah, I agree that some of her spirits just seem pretty useless (Lyra).
Old 2011-01-10, 22:04   Link #29
Kaijo
Banned

To be fair, Lyra is only a silver key, not a zodiac. She's a spirit with a specific purpose, singing. Would be nice to see her more, but I can understand her not being so powerful.
Old 2011-01-10, 22:14   Link #30
Berlin

Lucy is def. a funny character on the show but I really don't find her all that special. I think the celestial wizard thing is kinda lame with her having to use the celestial key things and what not. I also think that the celestial beings she has are lame as well except for Leo of course. In the end she is hilariously funny but no where near being a bad a** as her team members are.
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 22:24   Link #31
Naiwen

Quote:
To be fair, Lyra is only a silver key, not a zodiac. She's a spirit with a specific purpose, singing. Would be nice to see her more, but I can understand her not being so powerful.
What I mean by "not useful" is that she doesn't have any fighting abilities like Virgo, Leo or Aquarius.
Old 2011-01-11, 00:56   Link #32
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiwen View Post
What I mean by "not useful" is that she doesn't have any fighting abilities like Virgo, Leo or Aquarius.
I understand. It's just that she's not meant to, anymore than that dog-like thing she got in the first episode who functions more as a mascot. He doesn't do anything, whereas at least Lyra sings well. I'd actually like to see more of the old spirit dude who is a spirit information source. I think we only ever see him once.
Old 2011-01-11, 07:01   Link #33
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiwen View Post
except the fact that she's got a LOT of magic, enough to execute that huge spell that the guy inserted into her head (see Nivana arc).

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 07:14   Link #34
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ I think the post you quoted was referring to Lyra, who has only appeared once or twice and knows stuff about magic (Happy style) and sings. In any case, Lyra and Plue (snowman-dog) are luxury keys, even when Lucy bought Plue's key in the first episode, the owner told her it's nothing special. Still, more keys is never bad, maybe Lucy's got so much magic because she's always keeping a spirit out most of the time.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 21:44   Link #35
Acadia

Here's something I found interesting on the HuffPo today.

"New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign?"

Your zodiac sign may not actually be your zodiac sign anymore.

Astronomer Parke Kunkle says that due to changes in the Earth's alignment the dates of many zodiac signs have changed, according to NBC. In addition, there may be a 13th Zodiac sign: Ophiuchus.

Kunkle says that as the Earth and Sun slowly move the signs gradually change, as expected.

The change didn't happen over night either. The 12 signs were designated to different periods of the year almost 3,000 years ago, when astrology began, and since then the Earth's position in relation to the sun has changed.

While the sign many people were born under may now be different, it shouldn't affect horoscope readings, according to NBC.

See if your Zodiac sign has changed below.

The New Dates:
Capricorn: Jan. 20 - Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 - March 11
Pisces: March 11- April 18
Aries: April 18 - May 13
Taurus: May 13 - June 21
Gemini: June 21 - July 20
Cancer: July 20 - Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10 - Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16 - Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30 - Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23 - Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29 - Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17 - Jan. 20

link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...=kristin_leigh

Looks like Lucy might be stuck chasing one more key than originally thought.
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 10:24   Link #36
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Astronomer Parke Kunkle says that due to changes in the Earth's alignment the dates of many zodiac signs have changed, according to NBC. In addition, there may be a 13th Zodiac sign: Ophiuchus.
Quote:
One particular thing I thought recently, is that there is technically a 13th zodiac sign: Ophiuchus, also known as Serpentarius. It might be an interesting trick to pull, having Lucy discover the 13th key after she gets the other 12.
Second quote is from Kaijo, his post is a page back
Still, since we got more than one person wondering, here's my take on it: if it ever happens, it will need to be inserted into the plot as either someone the old zodiacs don't know or as the spirit king himself. Doubt the latter though, since the word brings to mind a snake and a pot.
Old 2011-01-14, 12:20   Link #37
Kaijo
Banned

And ironically, I only remembered the 13th one after remembering the old Final Fantasy Tactics, which had the Zodiac Braves, heh. The 13th one was at the bottom of an optional dungeon.

If anything, I bet the 13th one (if there is one), will be some kind of fallen spirit. Perhaps almost as strong as the Spirit King.
Old 2011-01-28, 12:46   Link #38
Serperior

Quote:
This is the reason why I like Lucy. I'm actually quite sick and tired of lead girls in shounen series that just whines and be useless (SAKURA!!!). I'm glad that she's atleast be able to fight and stand up for her right (Like when she's getting beaten up by Gajeel in the Phantom lord arc and being beaten by Edolas!Erza).

There's a foreshadowing of Lucy being strong? Actually, if there was, I didn't get it. On her fight against Angel, Angel says that she's pretty much done herself in for summoning 4 golden keys consecutively with a low magic power to support it.

Well, whatever. Lucy's still one of my favorite character. (I have to admit, on the first few episodes of FT, I was annoyed at Lucy, but that's mainly because of Aya Hirano. :<)
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 13:37   Link #39
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
There's a foreshadowing of Lucy being strong? Actually, if there was, I didn't get it. On her fight against Angel, Angel says that she's pretty much done herself in for summoning 4 golden keys consecutively with a low magic power to support it.
It also showed that Lucy's magic power is growing. Before, she wouldn't have been able to summon so much. My guess is that the more a mage uses their magic, the more their max MP grows. Also, Lucy's strength is that she really cares about her spirits, and thus they go above and beyond for her.

Lastly, as Hibiki said, she was capable of using the Una Metria(sp?) spell, which is supposed to be a really high level celestial mage spell.

All those things foreshadow Lucy as being strong. In the light of some other FT mages, she can appear a bit weak, but she's fairly strong already compared to most other mages. Also, smart use of her spirits would make her incredibly strong, so it's partly her not being smart but "lucky" that keeps her back. I kinda dislike this aspect, but am hoping she does get smarter instead of relying on her luck.
Old 2011-01-30, 07:52   Link #40
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Don't forget that Lucy beat up a dark guild team all by herself when she was looking for her dad...

Tags
character discussion