AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2017-10-18, 09:18   Link #301
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

I just recently heard that North Korea support Scottish independence. That just shows another proof that North Korea recognizes any partially recognized country not supported by USA (Palestine, Western Sahara, Crimea) while not recognizing Kosovo as they're pro-Belgrade.
Old 2017-10-18, 09:36   Link #302
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

They are following the lead of their friends in the Kremlin. Russia has supported separatist movements across the globe including crazies in Texas and California. Putin organized a world-wide summit for such movements in Moscow last year. It's largely an effort to stir chaos in Western democracies. I'd imagine that is the goal being pursued by the DPRK as well.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=42395066

Some of the phony Facebook sites created by Russian agents also pushed this theme, like the "Heart of Texas" site which was at one point the most popular Texas succession site on Facebook. "[A]t one point in 2016, [Heart of Texas] boasted more followers than the official Texas Democrat and Republican Facebook pages combined."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...believed-them/

North Korean hacking skills have vastly improved over the past few years. One primary purpose is stealing money from financial institutions world-wide. It is estimated that the DPRK steals $1 billion annually via hacking, a third of its entire revenue gained from exports. This has supplanted counterfeiting as a means of financing the regime. However, they are also engaged in more direct attacks in anticipation of a war on the Peninsula. "There is evidence Pyongyang has planted so-called digital sleeper cells in the South’s critical infrastructure, and its Defense Ministry, that could be activated to paralyze power supplies and military command and control networks."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/w...yber-sony.html

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-10-18 at 09:58.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-18, 11:08   Link #303
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

North Korea is more China-friendly than Russia-friendly despite the fact that the latter (and USA) are responsible for the division of Korea. Hell North Korea supported the Khmer Rouge for God's sake (while not recognizing Cambodia under Vietnamese annexation), are friends with Milosevic and Burma under military regimes and well, you get the picture. North Korea supports any state or non-state actor with radical ideologies.
Old 2017-10-18, 14:17   Link #304
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

See https://thediplomat.com/2017/02/russ...h-north-korea/ for a somewhat contrary view. They argue that Kim Jong-un has reoriented the DPRK away from China and toward Russia since his father died.

Quote:
Kim’s placement of Russia at the top of North Korea’s symbolic hierarchy of allies for the third consecutive year is a considerable break from Kim Jong-Il’s public emphasis on the DPRK’s alliances with China and Cuba. Pyongyang’s symbolic show of solidarity with the Kremlin has also been accompanied by a string of economic deals with Russia.

The expansion of Russian investment in the North Korean economy has entrenched Moscow’s role as a guarantor (along with China) of the Kim regime’s survival. Although Russia’s ability to benefit economically from closer links with North Korea is limited, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s willingness to deepen its alliance with Pyongyang highlights Moscow’s desire to expand its role as a stakeholder in the preservation of long-term peace in the Korean peninsula.
Old 2017-10-18, 23:50   Link #305
AnimeFan188

North Korean missile alert manga produced
by Hokkaido government office:

"To help educate residents about the precautions they should take when the J-Alert
warning system sounds, the Hokkaido Prefectural Government recently created a
colourful manga, which has been released to the public as a digital pamphlet on their
official website."

See:

https://japantoday.com/category/nati...ernment-office
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-22, 07:52   Link #306
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

I'm interested to see how will mainland China react to the eventual Korean reunification.
Old 2017-10-22, 08:28   Link #307
Key Board
Carbon

depends on whether it becomes another US base proxy or not
and how much foothold and presence/infiltration China can get in the new Korea

The theoretical unification itself is not going to be an easy process.
I suspect Korea's theoretical unification will be harder than Germany's reunification
unlike East Germany, North Korea's government has more success in indoctrinating its citizens

Last edited by Key Board; 2017-10-22 at 08:44.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 08:38   Link #308
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
The theoretical unification itself is not going to be an easy process.
I suspect Korea's theoretical unification will be harder than Germany's reunification
unlike East Germany, North Korea's government has more success in indoctrinating its citizens
Does it partly have to do that the Korean culture revolve around collective rights like the rest of East Asia?
Is the reunification possible if it's achieved under third party (neutral)?
Old 2017-10-23, 10:06   Link #309
Key Board
Carbon

East Germany was seen but its own people as a puppet state of the Soviets and had no real identity of its own

North Korea consolidated its power using Nationalism and so called Juche ideals.
It's an idea that North Korea is strong and powerful and does not need to rely on anyone
and they've been mostly successful in indoctrinating their people for 30+ years
but Juche isn't just Nationalism it's also Ethno Nationalism, meaning that it believes the North Koreans to be purer than South Koreans

if there's anything that can make things smoother it's reuniting the separate families
but that generation is getting old
The younger generation, however? hmm.. It would probably take more to convince them that South Koreans aren't a lesser species
There's going to be more than just a culture shock if the two Korea's try to merge
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-24, 13:00   Link #310
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

US Joins Japan, South Korea in Condemning ‘Provocative Actions’ by Pyongyang
Old 2017-10-24, 21:42   Link #311
Akuma Kousaka
The iDOL(ove Live!)M@STER

Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kousaka
You would have to excuse me as this thread seems the most relevant to post this
Quote:
Trump signs executive order to draft retired pilots back into military service

Citing emergency powers, President Donald Trump signed an executive order late in the day on Friday that would allow retired military pilots to be recalled to active duty.

But the broad wording of the executive order seemed to imply that the executive branch would have the power to call up retired military officers and force them back into service for any reason, as the “emergency” Trump used to justify the executive order was extremely vague: “the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks on the United States.”

This executive order is officially an amendment to Executive Order 13223, signed by George W. Bush in September 2001 in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Trump’s executive order claimed to be “in furtherance of the objectives of Proclamation 7463… which declared a national emergency by reason of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.”

Stay with me, because this gets confusing. So Trump basically wrote an amendment to Bush’s 2001 executive order. All Bush’s executive order really said, though, was that an emergency existed and the president had authorization to use a variety of statutes in the federal code. It then listed those statutes, of which there are many; let’s just say they mostly involve the executive abilities to send the military around the world and limit troops’ ability to retire.
The interventions added by Barack Obama to the declaration of war signed for Iraq continue to escalate, as does the imprecise wording granting excessive liberty for the military to be subject to its commander's impulses

May I also inquire what Trump had espoused about respect for the military? This does not square with the 40k homeless veterans in the United States on any given night, this executive order, or the troops already deployed in unnecessary military action
GANBARIMASU
Akuma Kousaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-25, 02:49   Link #312
Ithekro
The Comet has Come

Looks more like a gear up for an actual war, rather than the actions we've been in for since post-2003.

And to be fair, if something snaps on the Korean Peninsula, there will be a war (or rather the return to a hot war as oppose to a now almost 65 year long cease fire).
Old 2017-10-31, 06:48   Link #313
shadow1296

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/480608...t-updates/amp/
Old 2017-10-31, 09:31   Link #314
shadow1296

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/480153...g-un-soar/amp/
It looks like the US and Russia can agree on something
edit: excuse the double post
Old 2017-11-01, 11:57   Link #315
Archon_Wing
Plotting....
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...58a75a4faeee41

Welp, guess China's head in the sand policy is working. Now they can have the radiation seeping through the border.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-01, 13:08   Link #316
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

China's Rapprochement with South Korea

After efforts to boycott South Korean imports in China in response to the THAAD deployments, Xi Jinpiang has decided to look the other way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/w...rea-thaad.html

Quote:
Even under the new liberal president in South Korea, Moon Jae-in, whose outlook toward China had been more favorable than his predecessor’s and who has called for a more balanced diplomacy between Beijing and Washington, Mr. Xi made no headway in achieving his stated goal of stopping the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, or Thaad.

A second phase of the missile defense system, intended to defend South Korea from the escalating nuclear and missile threats from North Korea, was installed despite China’s protests in September, just four months after Mr. Moon took office. China had insisted it would not tolerate Thaad’s powerful radar so close to its own missile systems.

In agreeing to restore cordial relations, South Korea pledged not to accept additional Thaad launchers, and agreed not to join a regional missile defense system with the United States and Japan. The agreement not to accept any more Thaad deployments had been a longstanding policy stance of Mr. Moon anyway, a South Korean government official said on Wednesday.

South Korea also promised not to join a trilateral military alliance with the United States and Japan. Mr. Moon, like his predecessors, had shown no interest in expanding military relations with Japan, its former colonial master.
Old 2017-11-01, 14:52   Link #317
Ithekro
The Comet has Come

That's an easy work around. South Korea works with the US Military. The US Military works with Japan. The US brings both to a location at the same time and does the talking for them. Defenses ready without the Koreans and Japanese having to talk to each other.
Old 2017-11-02, 08:22   Link #318
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That's a far cry from "a trilateral military alliance." Putting pen to paper actually does matter in international relations.

On another note,

DPRK Defector: K-Dramas will bring down Kim Jong-un

Quote:
Kim Jong Un’s iron grip on the North Korean people is weakening, and an information campaign rooted in soap operas and dramas could help advance a civilian uprising, a prominent defector [Thae Yong-ho, a former diplomat in North Korea’s Embassy in London] told a congressional panel Wednesday.

In Thae’s view, free markets are increasingly popular. The state welfare system has collapsed under stiff sanctions, making civil servants and military officers dependent on bribes and embezzlement. State propaganda is shunned as more people watch South Korean television programs, forcing the government to allow the sale of DVDs of Soviet-era films and even American animation like Tom and Jerry, “The Lion King” and “Beauty and the Beast.”
Old 2017-11-02, 10:11   Link #319
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

That reminded me how the Romanians grew fed up with the communist régime because they were watching Dallas and wanted That way of life instead of Stalinian miserabilism.
Old 2017-11-02, 13:46   Link #320
Archon_Wing
Plotting....
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol Korean Soap Operas.

I guess when they're all on the floor laughing, they'll be defenseless!
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote