AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2013-09-29, 17:46   Link #9581
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
nagi needs to grow up.... she thinks hayate belongs to her and he will remain forever with her like that becosue she is she and that hayate will only look on her... who was lazy as s..t for whole series... giving hayate the hard time

she never really did anything for hayate except paying that pocket money of 150milion yen when she was so rich...
And, you know, that time she renounced all that fortune for him. So he could help his ex. Yes, she's been plenty selfish. But she's been plenty generous, too.

And her present problem is precisely because she's thinking of Hayate. If she was 100% selfish, she'd draw to force him to stay and not have a problem with it.

Quote:
she was allways the one in demand while she never really cared about what hayate wants and what he feels

nagi needs to finally understand that the guy wont be allways her buttler and sooner or later he will leave and start his own family and life with person he has feelings for be it athena, ruka or hina

nagi is selfish like all girls... but she just started to see that she cant draw her manga with half-assed feelings.... doing manga in order to have hayate do her laundry,food and do her stuff and become again lazy is just no good.... she should realize that she should draw not for others but generally for herself.... if it was her long dream she should focus on that

personaly I want ruka to win... only for her to drop the idea of forced marriage with hayate... if he will love her like that he will marry with her not becouse of a promise but becouse he really loves her.... ruka is kinda in rush thinking she might lose him... but understands that he is the first person who trully understands her pain
But she's shown few signs of understanding him.

Quote:
nagi needs to grow up becouse she never felt pain as she was surrounded by money and had everything... to the poin she belived she can even buy someones feelings...
She knows damn well she can't, and that's why Hayate is so precious to her.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 18:19   Link #9582
MCAL

In my opinion, this arc has been nothing short of fantastic and is real proof that Hata-sensei isn't just good at comedy. Ruka has literally shot up to be my favorite character in the manga.

This chapter... And I can't believe I am saying this... actually had tension. I didn't know Hata-sensei had it in him. I even went back and read it again... Which is the highest praise I can give a manga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
nagi needs to grow up becouse she never felt pain as she was surrounded by money and had everything... to the poin she belived she can even buy someones feelings...
More importantly... What made you think she thought that?
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 18:21   Link #9583
madmac

Quote:
Spoiler alert: This series is actually about Nagi's harem, not Hayate's. :P
Haha. In a way it's true. After Mykonos there's been much more focus on Nagi's complicated web of friendships then Hayate's. It's almost as much the Everybody loves Nagi show as it is Everybody Loves Hayate.

I mean seriously, I went back and started re-reading and already I've got awkward bath walk-ins, jealous Onee-sans, and more.

Quote:
This chapter... And I can't believe I am saying this... actually had tension. I didn't know Hata-sensei had it in him. I even went back and read it again... Which is the highest praise I can give a manga...
Same here. This chapter caught me of guard with how tense it was.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-29 at 19:03.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 21:52   Link #9584
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
It's actually from Chapter 268, the color preview of what was to come right after Mykonos ended. That's kinda awesome.
Coolio! That explains the coloring of the hair in the flashback -- grayscale of the color images. Thanks for finding that. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
About the apple: I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the Apple of Discord also in Greek mythology. Both feature a guy all the girls want with no luck to save their lives, and both feature goddesses vying for him.
Hmmm, interesting.

I guess that means we will get a Trojan War of sorts after Hayate chooses a girl, eh? ^_~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
In my opinion, this arc has been nothing short of fantastic and is real proof that Hata-sensei isn't just good at comedy. Ruka has literally shot up to be my favorite character in the manga.
For me, that was confirmed back in the Ah-tan/Athena flashback arc. However, for this chapter, I do appreciate that Hata-sensei didn't feel compelled to force jokes in here.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 04:06   Link #9585
cheongzewei

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Maestro View Post
Chapter 410 came true in chapter 423

Hahaha .... Nagi spilling ink on her manuscript, Looks like Nagi's fortune on the previous chapters hit the mark she really is a loser.

damn...
cheongzewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 05:52   Link #9586
GDB

Hata needs to officially come out and say whether the anime is supposed to be canon now or not. It really kills potential drama.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 08:09   Link #9587
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hata needs to officially come out and say whether the anime is supposed to be canon now or not. It really kills potential drama.
Wouldn't it kill potential drama even worse for it to be declared canon?

Re: the fortune: I can't help but notice it only came true after she had pretty much given up. Kind of a self-fulfilling there, perhaps?

Re: apple: Looking at the dialogue/narration in that panel, I wonder if it isn't tied to some other time in Nagi's past where she tried her best and got nothing for it, or similar. Something somehow involving an apple. It still leaves the question of "why an apple", but at least it has something concrete behind it rather than being a symbol floating in the void.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 09:33   Link #9588
Shadow5YA

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he already did on the 400th chapter.

You know, the one where Nagi wants to show her manga in the manga,
but then Hayate says "but what about the competition?"
and then Nagi says "who cares, the anime already showed a bunch of stuff after that so everyone already knows what happens"?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 09:54   Link #9589
GlassesLady
dat apple

Another suggestion I've seen for the meaning of the apple: knowledge. Would connect it well with Nagi's big realisation here, I guess.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 11:21   Link #9590
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
For me, that was confirmed back in the Ah-tan/Athena flashback arc. However, for this chapter, I do appreciate that Hata-sensei didn't feel compelled to force jokes in here.
Oh, I agree there. Just saying that this chapter was more real proof of the fact, since many people just write it off as a silly gag comedy.
Old 2013-09-30, 13:28   Link #9591
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
I can certainly understand your point, and indeed, Hata-sensei made an in-joke about this issue. However, I think that the drama is still here. Assuming CTMEOY is canon as believed, then all we know is as follows:
  1. Ruka remained an idol (now completed in the manga)
  2. Ruka did not marry Hayate
  3. Nagi returned to the mansion and resides there
  4. Hayate is Nagi's butler
  5. Nagi completed a good doujinshi
  6. Many of the girls still live at Yukari-chan House

Though we know the outcomes, we don't know how we arrived at those endpoints. Take Ruka remaining an idol. After CTMEOY aired, I assumed that Ruka would come to that decision to be an idol AFTER the doujinshi contest concluded. However, the manga had her come to that endpoint in a manner I never expected.

So, I don't think the drama is removed. Yes, we know the destination, but we don't know the route to get there. That's where the drama lies.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2013-09-30, 13:43   Link #9592
madmac

To expand on another point, moving back to the mansion is kind of a big deal, as it implies they were able to find a new stone. When? How? Where is it now? What happens after that?

There's a lot we don't know about the conclusion of this arc, which becomes more clear with every reversal. At this point Hata is reversing expectations like every other chapter so I'm pretty darn confident he knows where he's going with all this.
Old 2013-09-30, 13:48   Link #9593
MCAL

Quote:
In another way, you can look at it the way you would look at a Greek tragedy. You know a specific something is going to happen, yet you still love what you are reading, because the way it gets there is well thought out and compelling.
Old 2013-09-30, 20:36   Link #9594
Shadow5YA

Ruka is an interesting character, but I'm not quite sure what Nagi is supposed to take away from all of this.

I can say I was honestly surprised that Ruka doesn't like her job and didn't succumb to the clichéd development of suddenly liking it as her reason for continuing, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary for Nagi. She lost her motivation to work? Shocking.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 20:55   Link #9595
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
now watch hata reset everything back to the status quo so he and his editor can continue to milk this story for everything it is worth.
Old 2013-09-30, 21:15   Link #9596
madmac

Quote:
I can say I was honestly surprised that Ruka doesn't like her job and didn't succumb to the clichéd development of suddenly liking it as her reason for continuing, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary for Nagi. She lost her motivation to work? Shocking.
I think we're well past the point where you can accuse Nagi of not being willing to work hard. Well, well past.

Besides that, there's a lot going on with her. She's having a crisis of confidence in herself and her own abilities and it's exacerbated by her uncertainty about Hayate at the moment. The idea that he might be in love with Ruka is bothering her a lot more then she wants to admit. She tried powering through it and saying it doesn't matter and she just has to draw non-stop when she's already sick and beat up from not sleeping and walking to the point of collapse et all but the more tired she gets the more she can't ignore it. She's attempting to draw an amazing doujin under severe stress knowing damn well she's never succeeded at making anything memorable.

Trying to blow off something that's bothering you and not being able to let it go is a real thing. Feeling inadequate and like she's never succeeded at anything is a real thing and something she's struggled with since meeting Ashibashi and realizing she didn't measure up at all. Her slamming the table near the end represents finally letting all that repressed emotion out, which is ultimately a good thing for her.

You have to keep in mind that Nagi has never had to seriously consider the possibility of someone stealing Hayate away before Ruka confronted her. She never took Hamster seriously and no one else ever took her seriously enough to let her know they were after her butler. She's torn between wanting to hang on to him or letting him go if that's what he really wants, while at the same time struggling with a deadline and difficult work she's betting everything on. She needs some emotional validation badly.

All of this is new ground for Nagi as a character. It really is. Ruka is a great character in her own right and she's providing Nagi with a type of rival she's never had to deal with before.

Besides, you're assuming that Nagi's last outburst means she's giving up, and I'm not nearly so confident of that.

Quote:
now watch hata reset everything back to the status quo so he and his editor can continue to milk this story for everything it is worth.
It's funny, because everything I've seen in the last two years or so from Hata, the manga, and the anime gives me the opposite impression. I think he's actively moving towards ending the series and it probably won't last even another five years.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-30 at 22:40.
Old 2013-09-30, 22:33   Link #9597
ChronoReverse

Remember the hamster and her 40 degree fever? Magic may have to go to the hospital.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 14:29   Link #9598
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
To expand on another point, moving back to the mansion is kind of a big deal, as it implies they were able to find a new stone. When? How? Where is it now? What happens after that?
We know of at least two people of have stones, and no doubt that Mikado has more.

Quote:
There's a lot we don't know about the conclusion of this arc, which becomes more clear with every reversal. At this point Hata is reversing expectations like every other chapter so I'm pretty darn confident he knows where he's going with all this.
I am confident as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Nagi will still be Nagi, but at the same time, I do think she'll be a bit more mature than she was. Look at the progress she's made since the first doujinshi contest.

Quote:
Besides, you're assuming that Nagi's last outburst means she's giving up, and I'm not nearly so confident of that.
I don't think Nagi is giving up. The destroyed pages give Nagi a reason to start over, something she would not have done given the time problem. The question is, if she's starting over, how does she get it done?

Old 2013-10-01, 14:55   Link #9599
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
It's funny, because everything I've seen in the last two years or so from Hata, the manga, and the anime gives me the opposite impression. I think he's actively moving towards ending the series and it probably won't last even another five years.
since the anime is a continuation of the manga after summer, was there anything in the anime that said this is ending soon?

Quote:

I don't think Nagi is giving up. The destroyed pages give Nagi a reason to start over, something she would not have done given the time problem. The question is, if she's starting over, how does she get it done?
I will amend what i said,

Hata will reset everyone but Nagi's relationship with Hayate after the arc is over to the status quote.
Old 2013-10-01, 14:59   Link #9600
GDB

Quote:
So, I don't think the drama is removed. Yes, we know the destination, but we don't know the route to get there. That's where the drama lies.
But the drama is being built up that Nagi might lose Hayate, and that it's a very real risk at this point. Except if we already know the conclusion, which is that she doesn't, then how is there any drama? It's merely a conflict of which we need resolution, but there's no drama.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen