AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2011-06-04, 08:50   Link #1301
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Awesome read but not the expected impression from Misaki after looking into Touma. Well she did see the memory.

Now onto the mind thing. Isn't ars magna a field type of spell? like field ritual spell? it did distorts your view of reality by making the thoughts of the user true but isn't that diffeernt from what Misaki is doing? plus if mind attacks or mind reading works on Touma then the telepathy girl in vol 6 should be able to go through to him by telephathy.
I was trying to say something about that issue, but can't recall enough of the source material to properly say so.

What I can recall is that Ars Magna works in effect of the user's thoughts, and will stay in effect until Touma dispelled the affected object of Aurreolus (sp?)'s words. It affects the target physically although the extent of its effect is limited to his imagination, which can be severely affected as how Touma has shown.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 09:44   Link #1302
tsunade666

his warm was really cut off in that fight, if that is not enough to mess up with reality in some way.

Though that bugs me. When the thoughts of Izzard was getting messed up. Styl manage to return to normal but the physical damage to Touma have become permanent.
Old 2011-06-04, 14:43   Link #1303
Drifting Wolf

Here's my two cents: Stiyl was directly affected by Ars Magna. Izzard simply said "Die" and Stiyl was struck by Ars Magna and the 'Die' effect was slapped onto him. When Izzard lost his faith in Ars Magna, Stiyl reverted because Ars Magna lost it's hold over him.

Touma's right arm, however, was not blown off directly by Ars Magna. It was an indirect effect. Izzard summoned a weapon and used the weapon as a physical source to shoot Touma's arm off. Thus, the arm really came off because it was due to a physical effect rather than Ars Magna.
Drifting Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 16:46   Link #1304
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Er one thing, I'm pretty sure Izzard was rather specific when he ripped Stiyl into shreds rather than just calling him to 'die'...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 17:03   Link #1305
Drifting Wolf

That's true. But it was still a direct effect so...

Do I really have to say whatever Izzard said in full? >.<
Old 2011-06-04, 17:20   Link #1306
Ashaman

Wolf's explaination seems sound, but if you don't like it, here's another.

Fixing Touma invoves moving Touma's right hand. IB has been shown to continue to exist for at least a short time after severing. IB could have affected magical reattachment/reconning.
Old 2011-06-04, 20:31   Link #1307
Flere821
Lurker

I was referring to when Aureolus told Touma 'Forget everything that happened here tonight and leave' in my author's notes that Ars Magna can influence Touma's mind. Touma forgot everything, left the building and when he touched his head with his right hand everything came back to him. Both Ars Magna and Mental Out can go directly to his brain to influence his mind, (like teleport, point A straight to point B?), but the girl in Vol6 had to use a line to contact Touma and that line was cut off when Touma accidently touched it in the novel.

Also, the ["Explode from the inside out, magician of runes!"] was directly translated from the Chinese version of the novels (as Eng is not available on Bakatsuki). Aureolus didn't tell Stiyl to 'die' per se, and thus Stiyl was alive even when blown apart and watched the fight from the ceiling.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 23:01   Link #1308
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
... Looks like I've found a source to refer to, in order to continue where I had planned. Accelerator calling Kyuubey out on his explanation of entropy, oh yeah.

I didn't really quite follow the anime so please excuse me deeply on that >_>

But that'll have to wait until I come back from a few formalities today (Geez, I really don't like going to them, kills a lot of productivity time).

Old 2011-06-05, 07:57   Link #1309
Drifting Wolf

Yeah, well. If your innards exploded you'd be dead anyway...

Haha. ^^

In any case, I personally doubt that Mental Out would work on Touma. But I like the way your fic's Misaki works. Still, we don't know exactly how her powers work, so for all I know it probably does.

Still, I'm looking forward to more. Hopefully, this will become a mess of epic proportions! (Or should I say three-way love?)
Old 2011-06-05, 08:25   Link #1310
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Wolf View Post
Still, I'm looking forward to more. Hopefully, this will become a mess of epic proportions! (Or should I say three-way love?)
There's nothing wrong with a three-way romance.
It’s OK to put them in a three-way...
Old 2011-06-05, 09:37   Link #1311
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
There's nothing wrong with a three-way romance.
It’s OK to put them in a three-way...
Heed the words of this man, everyone. He speaks the truth.

By the way, I'm some way into writing what I had promised earlier today.

Spoiler for Accelerator: "You fail Physics forever, ALIEN!":

Someone please correct me as I go in terms of my "counter-statements" to Kyuubey regarding entropy stuff.

Old 2011-06-05, 23:36   Link #1312
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Heed the words of this man, everyone. He speaks the truth.

By the way, I'm some way into writing what I had promised earlier today.

Spoiler for Accelerator: "You fail Physics forever, ALIEN!":

Someone please correct me as I go in terms of my "counter-statements" to Kyuubey regarding entropy stuff.
Hmm... any thoughts on if the argument "It's magic. We don't care how it works, as long as it does. The law of thermal dynamics does not apply to emotional energy" could be used here? (I suck at physics so...)
And what about other things like mana or telesma? Would those even fit the laws of science?

On another note, next chapter of 'Minds, Memories, and Misfortune' is about half done.
Old 2011-06-05, 23:54   Link #1313
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post

On another note, next chapter of 'Minds, Memories, and Misfortune' is about half done.
can't wait for more
Old 2011-06-05, 23:59   Link #1314
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Hmm... any thoughts on if the argument "It's magic. We don't care how it works, as long as it does. The law of thermal dynamics does not apply to emotional energy" could be used here? (I suck at physics so...)
And what about other things like mana or telesma? Would those even fit the laws of science?
Heh, I was just discussing this law with Kuroi Hadou a few days ago, but the setting is in Nanohaverse.

Touma had said that Magic clearly defiles the laws of physics often, case in point he noted that Floris's wings seems to ignore the law of conservation of mass. But in other cases, magic still operates in the physical world so they still follow some rules. Aka Vento's air hammer follow fluid dynamics.

You know, real life Dark matter is something that has a presence in the Universe (via gravity), but completely doesn't interact with anything. And it's not only a one off; more than 75% of the Universe is made up of unknown matter and energy, who's to say one of them isn't AIM, Telesma, or magic?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 00:00   Link #1315
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:

The only grip of Physics I had was on elementary level back in school, which I have left for four years now >_>

But at least even with that the energy in human emotions do follow the laws of thermodynamics, and that'll dwell into Biology talks for that matter. Taking into the factors that lead a human to express emotions, the energy required to generate strong electrical signals in the brain, energy required for the body to release the bodily chemicals that lead into changes in human emotion such as adrenaline etc, and the work the body does to make a human express an emotion... I can't say these does not require 'energy that ignores the law of thermodynamics'?

Well, at least, in my own interpretations. Actually, one of the reasons that motivate me to write that chapter was based off on a blog entry that calls out Kyuubey's explanation on entropy (of the universe)...

The argument was "If Kyuubey just outright says 'Magic please' then it would've not been such a trivial matter in thinking about it but since his race chooses to just say something that doesn't follow the conventional (as in, one as we know it) laws of physics, I don't think I can ignore this."

If we follow that rule then Magic and Telesma and all the other sciences in Indexverse wouldn't make much sense either, but I don't want to argue about that because the point of the whole chapter was 'to slam Kyuubey.'

And also for the sake of preserving the "Rule of Cool."

... And like the others, I'm also patiently waiting for your new chapter

Old 2011-06-07, 22:02   Link #1316
Tsukino Kage Spectre
Enraged and Suicidal

Here's an interesting one, a crossover between the Heaven's Failure Fate Stay Night Doujins and Index written by Windraider: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7059291/1/Intertwine

On another note, Minds, Memories, and Misfortune, definitely an improvement from your previous work.
Tsukino Kage Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-08, 01:48   Link #1317
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukino Kage Spectre View Post
On another note, Minds, Memories, and Misfortune, definitely an improvement from your previous work.
Thanks, I try to improve

The chapter is about 80% done, but I've got RL work recently so this might take a while. Worse case scenario it'll hopefully be out by the end of this week at the latest.
Old 2011-06-08, 04:37   Link #1318
Breidaluk

a idea for a fanfic: Touma meets the most powerful "normal" woman in to aru series and falls in love with her.Yes! I'm talking about TOKIWADAI DORM MANAGER!!!
Breidaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-08, 05:25   Link #1319
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breidaluk View Post
a idea for a fanfic: Touma meets the most powerful "normal" woman in to aru series and falls in love with her.Yes! I'm talking about TOKIWADAI DORM MANAGER!!!
-Spits out drink!-

OMG! That's major crack pairing! lol
Old 2011-06-08, 05:31   Link #1320
Drifting Wolf

Now all we need to do is wait for Mr. Kyon to take up the challenge

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction