AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2014-09-14, 04:15   Link #81
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I said they're moving away from Windows 8, not throwing everything about it away, just as they didn't throw away everything about Windows Vista when they moved away from it to Windows 7.
But Vista didn't have the annoying Metro. It's quite the difference. Vista didn't work well with broken stuff and such. The interface remained the same with 7. Even with Win8 working better than Win7 if the interface hard to use then product will be shun away by the ppl.
Old 2014-09-14, 04:38   Link #82
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
But Vista didn't have the annoying Metro. It's quite the difference. Vista didn't work well with broken stuff and such. The interface remained the same with 7. Even with Win8 working better than Win7 if the interface hard to use then product will be shun away by the ppl.
Metro is not an interface. It's a design language. In fact, it's official name is now the Microsoft Design Language. The interface is a start screen, a start menu, a taskbar, a toolbar, a ribbon, a live tile, etc.

And the interface is changed for Windows "9." That's why you now see an option for a start menu on the desktop, as well as running Windows Store apps on the desktop. Even the charms appear to be accessible in the windows themselves.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 21:48   Link #83
AnimeFan188

Microsoft mistakenly affirms that Windows 9 will be revealed next week:

"Disagreements between company executives and the army of PR people who serve
them always raise a smile. Public relations teams work so hard to control corporate
messaging, and then execs who should know better ignore it.

Next week, Microsoft is having an event in San Francisco. The official purpose of this
event is to show off "what's next for Windows and the enterprise." That's a little
vague; it could mean a new version of Windows, or a new update, or anything in
between. But Alain Crozier, president of Microsoft France, told employees earlier this
week that Windows 9 was going to be shown off at the event, as spotted by ZDNet
France."

See:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...led-next-week/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-30, 12:45   Link #84
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

And here's Windows 9...
...Oops, my bad. It's actually WINDOWS 10.
Old 2014-09-30, 12:53   Link #85
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
And here's Windows 9...
...Oops, my bad. It's actually WINDOWS 10.
Info World foresaw this.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/261...indows-10.html

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 00:57   Link #86
monster

Windows 10 gets new console features: http://withinrafael.com/new-experime...ows-threshold/
Old 2014-10-01, 13:22   Link #87
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Technical Preview download is now available through the Insider program (Hotmail/Outlook account required).
Spoiler:

Requirements:
Quote:
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

A Microsoft account and Internet access
Expires on April 15.

...I'll check that out in a couple of days, as I first need to put my main partition in order (it's full of junk and other miscellaneous, work-related files now >_<), back it up to an image on a separate hard drive (I don't even remember where I stashed my once oft-used disk image bootable CD-ROM T_T), then prep the said partition for a fresh install with the W10 DVD.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-10-01 at 14:58.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 22:46   Link #88
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

First Impressions: some quirks in the UI, which are easy fixes: but I love the new Start Menu. you can make it as minimal as you can, or as stylish with the live tiles.

Spoiler for Current Desktop:
Old 2014-10-02, 18:33   Link #89
AnimeFan188

Is this why Microsoft named it Windows 10?:

"Seemingly everyone on the Net has a theory as to why Microsoft skipped the name
"Windows 9" and jumped to 10. Here's one explanation that actually makes sense."

See:

http://www.cnet.com/news/is-this-why...it-windows-10/
Old 2014-10-02, 20:45   Link #90
larethian

^ makes sense.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 21:13   Link #91
monster

I decided to install Windows 10 yesterday on my main computer as I don't keep important files for very long on it anyway. So far so good.

I actually liked the thicker border Windows used to have, but this thin border is surprisingly nice too. That said, after using it for a full day, I'm still not sure whether I like the (what are they called?) drop shadows(?).

The start menu is fine, but I mostly use the task bar anyway, so it's not as big a feature for me.

The task view and snap assist should come in handy when I get busy with work, but I prefer having 2 monitors to having multiple desktops. Still, it's a decent check list feature.

The search feature is nice for local stuff, but i prefer using a browser to search for internet stuff. Still, being able to do internet search from Windows doesn't bother me.

Windowed store app is nice, along with the new charms placement.

I rarely use the consoles, but the new copy and paste feature is nice nonetheless.

Some features seem to be locked and I am also not able to install EMET 5. Hopefully a future update will get EMET 5 working at least.
Old 2014-10-03, 11:24   Link #92
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have finally installed the preview on a almost 10 year old Dell Dimension 4700 that is lying around idle. Couldn't install it on the Dimension 8400 since the Pentium 4 processor didn't have NX bit support apparently. So in short, I had to shove 2 512MB of memory and a Geforce 210 Graphics card into the other computer.

Overall, I'm not that impressed. While I give Microsoft credit for some of the changes they made to make Windows 8 what is supposed to be in the first place… not shoving the tablet interface onto desktop/laptop users users. While the start menu is okay, I still prefer the one from Windows 7 and don't care for any of the modern UI stuff. At least the start menu is usable and one can remove all the titles, which I did.

On the other hand, performance is pretty good on a nearly 10 year old PC with a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz Prescott processor, 2 GBs of DDR2 RAM and a Nvidia Geforce 210 installed. As it stands, the new features are not enough to justify upgrading from Windows 7 or even Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro in my opinion. Plus, I do find the interface rather ugly compared to Windows 8 with WindowBlinds enabled.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-10-04, 08:29   Link #93
monster

Windows 10 may be the last major version release for Windows, according to some report.
Quote:
Microsoft is now communicating that there will be two different modes for updates, based entirely on customer choice:

Opt-in – This mode means that Windows 10 will be updated on a fast-moving pace (i.e., when Microsoft rolls 'em out). This is defined as a consumer-type updating mode. These include security updates and fixes, but also new features and OS updates.
Lock-down – Locked-down mode is for mission critical environments (i.e., businesses) where updates are managed centrally. This will work similar to the way things happen now and will not include feature updates, only security updates and fixes. Organizations will still be able to utilize their normal patching mechanisms since updates will still be delivered to WSUS servers.

However, it's important to understand that Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 represents the LAST major version of Windows. From here on out (after Windows 10 releases) there will be one Windows (no obvious versioning), and it will be updated regularly. Businesses that choose to opt-out will need to be very mindful not to get too far behind.
Old 2014-10-04, 08:45   Link #94
Shinoki

Hm i've finally gotten used to the metro start and they bring back the old start lol. One thing I like about osx is expose and multiple virtual desktops so I'm happy that windows will finally have it without installing a 3rd party app. I wonder what pricing will be?

I never liked metro apps so having the option to have them act as a normal app is a welcome change. This is what windows 8 should've been instead of taking however long to update it
Shinoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-21, 13:34   Link #95
monster

New preview build seems to be available. I'm downloading it now in the PC Settings.

EDIT: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...sider-program/
Quote:
Okay, now the fun stuff! Here’s what’s new:

Most of the changes in this build will be invisible to you, but we’ve made nearly 7,000 improvements and fixes to the product between 9841 and 9860. Many of those fixes were based on problem reports that you submitted in the Community forum or through the Windows Feedback app. Thanks! We also have a few visible changes that you’ll notice.

Action Center for Windows PCs. As we shared when we announced Windows 10 in September, we aren’t limiting our view to one specific device type. We are looking across our entire product family to look at ways to bring great experiences to our customers across different devices. So with this build, we’re bringing “Action Center” from Windows Phone over to the PC as the place where you can see and follow up on all actionable items. This build is focused ONLY on enabling basic notifications – quick actions and cleaner UI will come later. You’ll see notifications from the system and apps – from new emails and invites to IMs, Facebook posts and more – all in one place, so you don’t miss a thing. Click on the new Action Center icon in the notification area of your taskbar to check it out.

Move apps easily from one monitor to another. When you’re working on multiple monitors, use WIN+SHIFT+<arrow> to move the active app to another monitor. You can find a list of new keyboard shortcuts for navigating and managing your multiple desktops here in this blog post.

Animation for switching desktops. One of the pieces of feedback that you gave us was that it was hard to know when you were switching desktops. We addressed your feedback by adding an animation to make it clear that you are switching. Check it out by creating some new desktops and moving between them.
Also:
Quote:
You’ll notice once you install 9860 that there is a new option to set how quickly new builds reach you. In part, this change was also based on your feedback, as we heard from many of you that you’d like to know more about what issues you might run into before you install the build.

In PC Settings, Update and recovery, Preview builds, you’ll see a new dropdown menu with options for ‘Fast’ or ‘Slow’. By default, everyone will be in the ‘slow’ ring. If you’re adventurous and want to see the build right as it comes out, you’ll want to be in the ‘fast’ ring, which means that you’ll get it from Windows Update on the day it comes out. If you want to wait a bit and let others find any gotchas so that the community gets caught up with known issues and workarounds, then you’ll want to stay in the ‘slow’ ring.

Last edited by monster; 2014-10-21 at 16:56.
Old 2014-11-11, 18:45   Link #96
monster

According to this Windows 10 Deployment TechEd Europe video, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users will be able to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 and preserve all data, settings, apps, and drivers.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-11-29, 03:49   Link #97
AnimeFan188

Microsoft to unveil Windows 10 consumer features at January event:

"Microsoft is planning to detail the consumer features of Windows 10 at an event in
January. While Microsoft will be present at the Consumer Electronics Show in early
January, sources familiar with the company’s plans tell The Verge that Microsoft will
hold a separate press event in late January to unveil the consumer preview of
Windows 10. Microsoft previously promised "early 2015" for a discussion on
consumer features, and it appears the company is on track."

See:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/27/7...-january-event
Old 2014-12-15, 06:23   Link #98
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

was able to install the Leaked Build 9901... It seems to have changed the taskbar's color to a solid, darker hue of your picked color.
Old 2015-01-20, 13:06   Link #99
monster

So, the Windows 10 "consumer" announcement will be tomorrow, January 21, and live stream will be available here starting at 9:00 AM PST.

Also according to ZDNet, a preview for the mobile version will be available in February.

I am currently using Windows 10 on my laptop, but I am unsure about trying it on my only phone. I was originally waiting for Windows 10 to upgrade my phone even though I've been eligible to upgrade since last November, but with it possibly coming in the latter half of this year and this preview coming soon, I was thinking I may as well upgrade in February and then use my old phone to test Windows 10.

I wonder if that would be a better option as I can't afford to break my phone due to using prerelease operating system or should I just suffer through a lack of update from my wireless carrier (I'm still on Windows Phone 8.0) until Windows 10 arrives late this year.
Old 2015-01-20, 21:15   Link #100
ImperialPanda

Been using win7. Got a laptop recently for work with win8. Terrible. Just waiting for consumer preview build to upgrade to win10. Although I probably won't get the time to install it until Thursday.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote