Sekai Owari no Encore [Light Novel]

Title: Sekai no Owari no Encore. [世界の終わりの世界録] TL: Encore of the World’s End
Author: Sazane Kei
Illustrator: Fuyuno Haruaki
Release Date: 25/07/2014

Spoiler for Volume 1 Cover:

Summary:
Quote:
The valuable treasure, the “Encore” which was left by the legendary Elline the Brave Hero, has the recording of the end of the world and the reincarnation of the world. The countries and brigades (parties) all over the world are searching for the location of its whereabouts; the age to fight for the Encore. The boy called Ren who wants to become a knight has no talent in wielding swords despite looking exactly like the Elline the Brave Hero, he has been having a lifestyle where people taunts him as the “Fake Brave Hero”. The one that appears in front of him is the legendary Dragon Princess Krische, who had waked up from her seal. She mistakes Ren for Elline, though she gets disappointed since he simply looks like him, but she later finds out a hidden potential in him. And she invites him to the journey to find the Encore together with the Archangel Phia and the Demon-Lord Elise that saved the world before. “Do you want to come with us?”. —This is the prelude of wild excitement played by the heroes. The boy known as the fake Brave Hero cross paths with the legend now!
Code Zero started translate this series and from what I've read, this is really promising. The heroines are quite interesting,too.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 10:12   Link #2
dragon1412

personal opinion on vol1 without spoiler :
very interesting setting, MC is a refreshing change but the story itself is not mind blowing enough like Apocalypse Alice, overall a very decent read but sometimes can't help but hoping thing to be a little more unexpecting.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 11:10   Link #3
hiddensurvivor

This is my kind of story. Really liked what I read so far, thanks!
hiddensurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 12:27   Link #4
Avaricia
My Lord

N0m@n's summer project I guess?

Cheers for the translation btw.
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 09:18   Link #5
Trung-t-rung

Wow, I actually quite fond of the MC. Must be my soft-spot for these type of hard-working protagonist.
Old 2014-07-28, 11:00   Link #6
Ken Sanders
The Wanderer

Very, very interesting novel. It passed my standards!

He is he and him is him. He's trying to prove that he has potential of his own. Not as the Brave Hero copy but Ren himself.

But still it's a mystery why is the scent of Elline can be traced on Ren, though. The man himself is already dead but here we have someone, Dragon Princess, discerned the same scent on Ren. A Dragon's sense of smell can be trusted 100%.

A spell or something else. Ren might be a mystery.
Ken Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 11:08   Link #7
Trung-t-rung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Sanders View Post
Very, very interesting novel. It passed my standards!

He is he and him is him. He's trying to prove that he has potential of his own. Not as the Brave Hero copy but Ren himself.

But still it's a mystery why is the scent of Elline can be traced on Ren, though. The man himself is already dead but here we have someone, Dragon Princess, discerned the same scent on Ren. A Dragon's sense of smell can be trusted 100%.

A spell or something else. Ren might be a mystery.
Maybe he is the reincarnation.
Just without his uber strong talent with the sword. It seem to implied that itwas thanks to his special body or something so this time Ren was born without it.
Old 2014-07-28, 13:27   Link #8
Flames

Interesting novel so far. The hero wants to forge his own identity that is distinct from his ancestor yet at the same time admires him. I just hope there is no surprise twist of him being his reincarnation. It wouldn't mean that much to me if he gets powerful from his struggles if that's the case. Since it will follow that destiny theme of him reclaiming back what was once was his. I would rather have be the connection between the two be distinct as possible.
Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 18:07   Link #9
Brin A'sair

As often as I've recently seen it in light novels, I expect time travel will eventually come into play. Consider: he looks and smells exactly like Elline; Elline's own ancestry is unknown - per the angel he was considered an outcast swordsman when he first appeared (which I take to mean a swordsman without a known noble lineage / background); and nowhere is a grave mentioned for Elline - just that he is believed to have died at a common inn.

That Elline is said to have died at the age of 26 - and not long after his three companions were sealed during the last battle - makes me think that if time travel is involved, it will not occur for several years yet, by which point his swordsmanship may be advanced enough to be worthy of Elline's initial ability. His return to the future may even explain why he took no effort immediately to remove the seals upon each of the three - he knew it would create a paradox.
Brin A'sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 18:35   Link #10
Direwolf18

This has some serious potential I am intrigued.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-29, 20:07   Link #11
bakato

So I just finished reading what's been done so far. Here are my thought:

1. It seems our guy isn't as hopeless as he looks. Hes got some potential and made definite progress.
2. I wonder what form the Encore will take? I doubt it'd be just something written on paper considering the quantity of information it's supposedly encompasses.
3. I know that some here believe Ren will get involved in a time loop, but I must disagree. One of the main points of this series is that this guy looks like, smells like, and acts just like his predecessor, but the fact remains that he's not Elline. He has to find his own path.
3. HAREM PARTY!
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 01:57   Link #12
DoomCalibur
The Shrouded Lonebrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
So I just finished reading what's been done so far. Here are my thought:

1. It seems our guy isn't as hopeless as he looks. Hes got some potential and made definite progress.
2. I wonder what form the Encore will take? I doubt it'd be just something written on paper considering the quantity of information it's supposedly encompasses.
3. I know that some here believe Ren will get involved in a time loop, but I must disagree. One of the main points of this series is that this guy looks like, smells like, and acts just like his predecessor, but the fact remains that he's not Elline. He has to find his own path.
3. HAREM PARTY!
Can u be more specified about that so called"potential" Ren possess?
DoomCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 03:21   Link #13
Brin A'sair

I disagree. Time travel can be involved while maintaining the message of one having to find / make their own path. Compare - for example - Einstein at 15 and 50; no one can say that at 15 he could be expected to be the equal of himself when he was 50. Ren cannot be expected to be the equal of Elline if Elline is his future self of years hence (even if those years hence are partly in the distant past). He will still have to forge his own path, make himself his own person. That person will just happen to be (after a bit of time travel) the initial Elline (pre- going to war in the past and all the expertise that no doubt developed from such prolonged and potent combat).

I find it interesting that if the Encore is a written memoir it must have been written in the years after the sealing / reincarnation his three companions experienced. If it is not a written memoir, then the potential for time travel is actually enhanced. It could be that the Encore - a term meaning "once more, again" - is meant to restart the cycle, that it is a device or spell that will send him to the past. Once there, the memories he makes will remain with him when he returns to the future (at the staging of his death), thus conveying this knowledge to the future.

Still, I agree that at this point in the story it is too early to be sold on the time travel idea. While very compelling, the author could still easily twist things about. But until the author conclusively shows the theory is false, I cannot just disregard what appears so plausible. For the present we will have to agree to disagree.

Regarding Ren's potential, I think bakato was referring to the fact that Ren had to repeat due to a single duel against the strongest of his (first) year, but later (weeks? months?) he had an unofficial second duel with him, and he nearly won (losing in the third match). Ren also has incredible mental fortitude to have endured the taunts, rumors, and stares over the last 2-3 years at the academy, and he has a great work ethic - often practicing long into the evening.
Old 2014-07-30, 03:25   Link #14
sasoras

isn't the epilogue title pretty much a spoiler to this topic at hand.
sasoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 04:26   Link #15
Brin A'sair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post
isn't the epilogue title pretty much a spoiler to this topic at hand.
Not necessarily. Considering that the demon lord was reincarnated, it could refer to her.

If the title "Knight of Reincarnation"does refer to Ren, then something really odd must have happened during the last few years of his life, given that per Phia reincarnation is supposedly a spell only demons can use, and the one who might have been willing to teach him the spell - or go to the effort to modify it to affect a human - only reincarnated ten years ago.
Old 2014-07-30, 04:30   Link #16
Raxnom
気疲れ

Crazy idea: Ren himself is the Encore.
Old 2014-07-30, 04:39   Link #17
n0m@n
C-Z

I want to give spoilers but I probably shouldn't.
Better to do the translation to keep it interesting.
Old 2014-07-30, 05:36   Link #18
Brin A'sair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxnom View Post
Crazy idea: Ren himself is the Encore.
It may be a crazy idea, but it is no less crazy than the ideas of time travel or reincarnation. And I can see it working - or perhaps the Encore is a magic device that holds the memories of Elline, and only someone similar to him can receive such.

Getting back to the title of the epilogue, it occurs to me that there is another possible meaning behind it. Should it become widely known that the famed three companions of Elline have returned to the world, and that they are traveling with a person remarkable for his close similarity of appearance to Elline, then Ren may gain "Knight of Reincarnation" as a nickname (akin to his current nickname of "Fake Brave Knight").
Old 2014-07-30, 20:54   Link #19
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCalibur View Post
Can u be more specified about that so called"potential" Ren possess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brin A'sair View Post
I disagree. Time travel can be involved while maintaining the message of one having to find / make their own path. Compare - for example - Einstein at 15 and 50; no one can say that at 15 he could be expected to be the equal of himself when he was 50. Ren cannot be expected to be the equal of Elline if Elline is his future self of years hence (even if those years hence are partly in the distant past). He will still have to forge his own path, make himself his own person. That person will just happen to be (after a bit of time travel) the initial Elline (pre- going to war in the past and all the expertise that no doubt developed from such prolonged and potent combat).

I find it interesting that if the Encore is a written memoir it must have been written in the years after the sealing / reincarnation his three companions experienced. If it is not a written memoir, then the potential for time travel is actually enhanced. It could be that the Encore - a term meaning "once more, again" - is meant to restart the cycle, that it is a device or spell that will send him to the past. Once there, the memories he makes will remain with him when he returns to the future (at the staging of his death), thus conveying this knowledge to the future.

Still, I agree that at this point in the story it is too early to be sold on the time travel idea. While very compelling, the author could still easily twist things about. But until the author conclusively shows the theory is false, I cannot just disregard what appears so plausible. For the present we will have to agree to disagree.

Regarding Ren's potential, I think bakato was referring to the fact that Ren had to repeat due to a single duel against the strongest of his (first) year, but later (weeks? months?) he had an unofficial second duel with him, and he nearly won (losing in the third match). Ren also has incredible mental fortitude to have endured the taunts, rumors, and stares over the last 2-3 years at the academy, and he has a great work ethic - often practicing long into the evening.
^What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
I want to give spoilers but I probably shouldn't.
Better to do the translation to keep it interesting.
So all the major questions will be answered in this volume?

Update!
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 21:04   Link #20
n0m@n
C-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
So all the major questions will be answered in this volume?
To be honest...

Spoiler for spoilers:

Tags
adventure, angel, demon, fantasy, harem, reincarnation