AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-22, 20:45   Link #21
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

I've actually watched all of Lamune, half of Ai Yori Aoshi, and most of Mahoraba. Unfortunately, all three were a bit too dull in my opinion, I stuck out until episode 18 or so for Mahoraba because the main female character's MPD were fun to watch but in the end there wasn't enough substance in the plot for me to keep watching. I pretty much feel the same about Ai Yori Aoshi as well although I enjoyed Mahoraba a bit more.

Tsukuyomi Moon Phase and Karin sound good, I've read a bit on the former before but Romance wasn't listed as one of it's genres so I ended up skipping it.

Last edited by Alex Ikari; 2006-08-22 at 22:15.
Old 2006-08-22, 21:27   Link #22
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Wow, I think you're the first person I've ever come across who didn't love Mahoraba to bits. To each their own I guess
Old 2006-08-22, 22:17   Link #23
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Hehe, I guess my expectations were just too high because it was the next series I watched after Shakugan no Shana.

Oh by the way, is anyone familiar with any of these Fansub groups: HKG, Q-R, Z-U, or ayyo? I'm thinking of getting Tsuyokiss (Cool X Sweet) but I don't recognize any of the groups that are currently doing it, and I don't want to mistakenly get one that does a poor job.

Last edited by Alex Ikari; 2006-08-22 at 22:30.
Old 2006-08-22, 22:29   Link #24
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

I don't get it, why are you naming some of the series in that "favorite series" list?

People makes lists like those so people can pull similarities from the genre, half the series you listed aren't even romance/shoujo.

Anyways, here's 4 series all of which involve a plot revolving around romance. All are under 30 episodes except Hana Yori Dango (51ish, but well worth it).

Hana Yori Dango

Suzuka

Ultra Maniac

Saikano
Old 2006-08-22, 23:23   Link #25
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Um, what are you talking about? Almost every Anime I listed under "Favorite Series" had romance play a noticeable role in the main plot. Zoids and Gundam Wing were the only series to have little to no romance, and if you're really pushing the qualifications on romance, NGE and FLCL too.

As to why I made a list, the main reason was because I didn't want to waste people's time by having them recommend series that I've already seen. I made 2 lists to give them an idea of what I liked.
Old 2006-08-23, 15:43   Link #26
MamoruUsagi

I know I repeated the recommendations part, I recommended that series to make it stand out from others. The Fushigi Yugi manga as a whole, all 18 volumes, is wonderful. The anime gives a different feel than the classic manga story. Fushigi Yuugi is a lot better in the manga. I read the whole manga first. The manga Peach Girl was very realistic, what everyone can relate to. The anime changed it. Ayashi no Ceres, the manga was very emotional, the anime of Ceres takes out the whole story A lot of great manga are animated, which makes a lot of fans view it in a certain way. Marmalade Boy, though, had a lot of things in the anime that should have been included in the manga, a follow up to the finale, more couple moments. However, the manga ending was much more emotional. Sailor Moon was wonderful in both versions. Both the anime and the manga and the live action version were very different, but both were wonderful and special.

I think that the author can list whatever series he feels fit his genre. While I've read lots of romance manga and watched lots of romance anime, and while all that I've read and watched weren't on his list, he has a right to say what he feels are series which fit his genre. However, he didn't list shoujo titles, as the person before said. Shoujo titles are the best for deep romance. Like Absolute Boyfriend is more romantic than Chobits or Ah! My Goddess or Video Girl Ai or Rizelmine or Shugogetten, while it uses a similar theme, shoujo series are almost always more romantic than shounen series using the same theme, because of it's style. If you take a shoujo series and a shounen series with a similar theme, as I mentioned, the shoujo series will include more kisses, more relationship development as boyfriend and girlfriend, many times marriage, engagement, romance and sex. Shounen series usually don't go as far into a series as shoujo. I'm a fan of deep romances with lots of kisses, engagement, marriage, so I read almost every romance title that is in the shoujo genre. What makes it shoujo is that the love interests are boys. It's when the main character, a girl falls in love with a boy is when it's shoujo. Shounen is the opposite. The main character's gender can tell whether it's shoujo or shounen. However, a couple series do change the rule.

I know that I repeated sentence structures and wordings. I just want to make sure certain recomendations were seen over others.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2006-08-23 at 15:56.
Old 2006-08-23, 17:54   Link #27
Budweineken
Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ikari
I've actually watched all of Lamune, half of Ai Yori Aoshi, and most of Mahoraba. Unfortunately, all three were a bit too dull in my opinion, I stuck out until episode 18 or so for Mahoraba because the main female character's MPD were fun to watch but in the end there wasn't enough substance in the plot for me to keep watching. I pretty much feel the same about Ai Yori Aoshi as well although I enjoyed Mahoraba a bit more.

Tsukuyomi Moon Phase and Karin sound good, I've read a bit on the former before but Romance wasn't listed as one of it's genres so I ended up skipping it.
Tsukuyomi and Karin both have romance, give them a try.
Old 2006-08-23, 20:00   Link #28
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Yeah I'm probably going to get Karin after I get done watching Mahoromatic and maybe Gunparade. As for Tsukuyomi, I haven't really decided yet. The storyline seems interesting enough but I don't find the animation style too appealing.
Old 2006-08-23, 21:33   Link #29
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Quote:
Um, what are you talking about? Almost every Anime I listed under "Favorite Series" had romance play a noticeable role in the main plot. Zoids and Gundam Wing were the only series to have little to no romance, and if you're really pushing the qualifications on romance, NGE and FLCL too.

As to why I made a list, the main reason was because I didn't want to waste people's time by having them recommend series that I've already seen. I made 2 lists to give them an idea of what I liked.
I whole-heartedly disagree, dunno what you call all-out romance/shoujo series if you consider most of those having romance play a noticeable role in the main plot.

To each his own.
Old 2006-08-23, 22:13   Link #30
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Like I said, the romance was noticeable, but hardly any of them focused solely on it except for Final Approach and 08TH MS TEAM. I.E. Fate/Stay Night, Shakugan no Shana, or Full Metal Panic. You could obviously tell that at least a third of the episodes contained romance that might have affected their actions, but outside of that, they were actually trying to achieve something whether it be to win the Holy Grail, save existence, or stop some lunatic.

I've also already said this but I guess you didn't see. I only made the list(s) so that people wouldn't suggest series that I've already seen, not so they could "pull similarities". I didn't label it "Favorite romance series", I listed all the series that I really liked, most just happened to have romance.
Old 2006-08-23, 22:40   Link #31
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibaba
I whole-heartedly disagree, dunno what you call all-out romance/shoujo series if you consider most of those having romance play a noticeable role in the main plot.

To each his own.
I'm unsure exactly what you mean by this (earlier I just thought you had a typo). You realize that there are romance/shounen and romance/seinen series, right? Or how do you categorize a series like I''s (or Suzuka or Pastel) - they definitely are shounen, are they not romance?
Other than that, he's pretty obviously asking for a series that is an action(adventure)/romance/comedy where the male and female lead spend a good portion of the show bickering (not really out and out fighting, but more sniping at each other). There are a fair number of shows like this - I don't understand why it's hard to make a recommendation. If your definition of romance ends at shoujo then recommend the boy some Bokura ga Ita, Kare Kano, Nana, Marmalade Boy (there is an anime for that, right? I actually can't remember), or take a step out and recommend the josei series Honey and Clover. Though going from the list of series he likes I think Fruits Basket is probably more what he's looking for. It's more productive to offer him something that fits in with what he likes and bridges into what you like (for example, the aforementioned Fruits Basket, Ouran High Host Club, or Fushigi Yugi - all shoujo harem shows) then it is to just tell him he's wrong.
Quote:
At this point I'm basically looking for a series with romance, a bit of a harem, comedy if possible, nice animation, and a generally good plot.
Something like Zero no Tsukaima or Shakugan no Shana would be great. Thanks and I'm sorry if this was asking too much.
Actually while writing this I thought of a couple of other ones: Futakoi alternative (I'm not that fond of it, but I know a lot of people are - the giant octopus bad guys kind of weird me out), Fruits Basket and Ouran High Host Club (the reverse harem, and both very funny), and both seasons of Comic Party (from an ero game - though I think it actually didn't have any ero in the game, must less the anime). And I'm somewhat surprised there hasn't been a Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya recommendation yet. MoSH kind of follows the same formula as SnS, FSN, and TMP, but in it's own unique way stands a lot of the conventions on their head and flips them around.

As for the animation in TMP - I thought it was pretty conventional, but I kind of remember the first two episodes being in a slightly different style - so you might check out a couple of minutes of a later episode before you make up your mind on it. Of the three (MoSH, TMP, and SnS) MoSH is my favorite, followed by TMP, and SnS brings up the rear. I like all three shows, but that's the order I'd rank them in.
Old 2006-08-23, 22:54   Link #32
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Hehe, I've seen Futakoi Alternative as well. The animation was pretty good, and it was funny yoo but overall the plot confused and annoyed me with the whole Octopus guy thing, and the main character's 'special abilities'? I don't know, when I look back on it, the only thing that I can think of is the 'Super Dectective Kick' he used against the final boss and my whole impression of the series just sinks.

As for TMP, most of the pictures I found were on a google image search and at animepaper.net and they all looked pretty much the same. Well, with the new series I've decided to get (Mahoromatic, Gunparade, Karin), between work, and school they should last me a few weeks. I can always go back to TMP if I run out of ideas though. By the way, are their definite pairings for Marmalade Boy and Fruits Basket or is it pretty much up to the viewer to decide? I'm just curious because I've skimmed some Fanfictions on the two of them and the pairings are pretty varied.

Last edited by Alex Ikari; 2006-08-23 at 23:12.
Old 2006-08-23, 23:26   Link #33
MamoruUsagi

In Marmalade Boy, the couple become boyfriend and girlfriend and date during the show. They go through couple obstacles, and are a steady couple throughout the show, but they do face obstacles and three break ups. If you want to find out if they get married, read the manga and watch the show!

Spoiler, in case you don't want to know:

Their are 76 episodes and the couple become boyfriend and girlfriend in episode 25.

I have read/watched the whole series.

In the Peach Girl manga, Momo dates both Toji/Touji and Kairi/Kiley.

In the Mars manga, the couple get together early on in the series, date and face serious issues such as rape, suicide, sex, living together, break ups, relationships, dating, marriage, secrets and engagement. The couple does have sex, but waits until they are in a committed relationship before taking this step.

I do not recommend Fruits Basket, because their isn't a couple and their isn't love in the series. True romance series show a couple together, dating, as boyfriend and girlfriend throughout the series.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2006-08-23 at 23:46.
Old 2006-08-23, 23:44   Link #34
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi
I do not recommend Fruits Basket, because their isn't a couple and their isn't love in the series. True romance series show a couple together, dating, as boyfriend and girlfriend throughout the series.
lol you are so funny!
Old 2006-08-23, 23:58   Link #35
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Ah I don't know about that, I personally prefer it if there's some romantic interaction between the characters but there's nothing concrete. For example, in Shakugan no Shana you can see some serious interest between Yuuji/Yuji and Shana but the possibility of Yuuji/Yuji and Kazumi is still very possible. I hate the whole marriage, kids, and etc. thing.

Good Lord I love Shakugan no Shana.
Old 2006-08-24, 09:03   Link #36
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

+1 to jed's amused post there. 'True' romance can't be defined, and while Fruits Basket has a lot of supernatural elements, it's also a romance story, even if it's not done in the usual manner.
Old 2006-08-24, 09:26   Link #37
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Yeah, I agree. I'm sorry, but the two of you are making me go: .

It's nice to tell us what you think real romance is when making a suggestion (for reference, I know jedinat prefers shoujo romance to shounen, and I know I prefer manga to anime), but telling someone that what they like is "wrong" is just silly and isn't going to get them to try what you're suggesting.
Old 2006-08-24, 13:19   Link #38
MamoruUsagi

Before I post my message, I want to write the the author of this topic sounds really sweet, patient and understanding. Because you can't hear my tone, my posts may sound a bit rude. I really am not trying to be rude. The author of this topic sounds very nice, relaxed and honest. My following message may sound like I'm being rude or disrespectful, but I really don't mean that at all. I apologize for the way my message may sound, I really don't want to sound like I'm labeling anyone's opinion or telling anyone what the right kind of opinion is, because I believe that everyone has a right to whatever they think or like and shouldn't be told to change their opinion or that their opinion isn't right. I do change my opinions many times and don't want to act like my opinion is the right one. I hope I don't sound rude or bossy in my post, because I'm usually cheerful and sweet. The author of this topic sounds really nice and compared to that I'm probably seeming rude, because my posts are so long and labeling what's right. I apologize once again for my following post. It was posted really quickly, but I don't want to delete it and it will take too long to change it. I completely understand everyone's opinions about what they like and I completely respect the author's personality, because they have been very patient with my posts, even though my posts have been repetetive and sounding like they are telling what to do, the author hasn't once made a rude or nasty remark about anyone in this topic, so I really hope my following post doesn't change that. Now, onto my following post...

I think it's perfectly fine to like whatever series you want. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what they think it good and what they define is good. I'm just explaining that a romance series is one where their is an official couple, a couple that's boyfriend and girlfriend and dating during the series, a couple that gets together early on or in the middle of the series, so we see them as a dating couple and they might get engaged or married. A series with hints of romance or possible romance but without actual dating in the series isn't a real romance anime/manga, but instead is just an anime/manga of a different genre. If you wanted those suggestions, you might want to have changed your topic and instead of asking for a the kind of anime/manga in your topic, you should ask for an anime/manga of a genre of your choice, but mention that you would like some hints of romance in it. Judging by your posts, you haven't read that many real serious romance manga, you've watched anime/manga with hints of romance in it. While I like real romance anime/manga, I respect whatever decisions and opinions you have of which shows you like. I'm not criticizing anything about any shows you watch or what you read. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and can label things what they want and can view things as they wish. I love romance series, especially series where the couple dates for a long time and gets married, but I also like other series, too. I just wanted to recommend real serious romance manga/anime, because that's the kinds of series I really read/watch. I just think if you wanted the kinds of shows you mentioned, you might have wanted to put a different topic title, because I usually think of real romance anime/manga as a story where there's an actual couple dating during the series and they share lots of kisses, couple obstacles, maybe get engaged or married.

That's why I give the suggestions I gave, because that's what a real romance anime/manga in my opinion is, because most of the romance anime/manga I read and watch and favor have a real dating couple during the series and I've read a lot of romance manga, so most of the series I'm used to have an actual dating couple that is boyfriend and girlfriend throughout the series. I completely respect whatever choices and opinions you have and am not at all trying to detract or disrespect your views or opinions. I am just saying that if you wanted something without a real couple, you might want to ask for a different genre. Once again, I am not trying to disrespect you or your opinion, I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting your opinion, I was just surprised. I appreciate you being honest with your opinions. Anyway, you have a right to ask for whatever series you want, but I was just wondering if you ever read a manga with a couple that dates and is boyfriend and girlfriend during the series and share a lot of kisses and go out together. They're really good. If you haven't read one yet, you might like it. I love when couples face couple obstacles and date and have boyfriend/girlfriend couple moments and are an in love, steady, dating, serious couple. Whatever your opinion is, it's alright, I was just talking about the large genre of romance manga. Manga is a lot more romantic than anime, as in manga has a lot more series with dating couples that are boyfriend/girlfriend during the series that may get engaged or married. Anyway, whatever your opinion is, I'll respect. I know I repeated sentences thousands of times in my message, I tend to do that with certain things. The genres I recommend are romance manga shoujo, the kinds of genres which have a serious boyfriend/girlfriend steady couple. I just really love manga where there's lots of kissing and loving and couples that are going out and facing obstacles instead of just will they or won't they, I like a couple that is officially together and boyfriend/girlfriend during the series and dates.

I think I made the longest most in the entire topic.
Old 2006-08-24, 14:27   Link #39
jedinat

Paraphrase:

Take no offense at my opinions.
When I see "romance" in the title I assume the OP is looking for my definition of romance.
Take no offense at my opinions.
I like anime/manga where the couple is boyfriend/girlfriend, shares lots of kisses and gets married.

(*sigh... women. j/k j/k )
Old 2006-08-24, 16:19   Link #40
Sunabouzu

well if everybody says something i want too^___^ ;P

i like the kind of romance anime/manga where they become later in the series a couple (they become a couple so i think you can consider it as romance or am i wrong?) but there must be enough time left to see at least one kiss (as sign that they tuely love each other but...more kisses are better^^) and maybe some obstacles....
at least i want to see how things go for a while

Closed Thread

Tags
romance