Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-05-01, 00:59   Link #101
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Even in a "slow"/turn base game having to look up and down feels awkward. Do i really want to take my eyes off the TV? (I suppose getting your eyes to move is good for your eye health?)
The advantage of a separate screen for the menus is that you have more space on your actual TV for the graphics.

Videogames in general are reaching the point where dialogue boxes, health bars, etc are being pushed to the corners to not obstruct the HD visuals your TV is meant for.

I just think the less that needs to be on your TV, the better the visual immersion. Naturally it would not be easy to do that if you are playing a FPS.
Old 2011-05-01, 06:19   Link #102
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Even in a "slow"/turn base game having to look up and down feels awkward. Do i really want to take my eyes off the TV? (I suppose getting your eyes to move is good for your eye health?)

Of course you can use it to display private data for multiplayer.

I suppose it will be the developer's job to utilize the extra screen properly. Though cross platform game might not really have the option to make the controller screen a core part of their games.

Developers might just put non-crucial info onto that screen just for the sake of filling it up with something.

Weight will also be an issue.
It really depends how you would hold it, and what is on the screen. But i don't think should be a big issue, it would be almost like looking at the speedometre and rev counter on your dash. You don't really stare at it for too long, you just move your eye quickly to have a glimpse of what is going on. However if devs decide to fill up the screen with too much information and in small fonts, or put in a lot of sub menus you have to flick through, in that case you probably have to stare at the screen, and that you interrupt game flow.
For what we know it might end up being used as an advertising panel for sponsors...
Weight, battery life, quality and physical design will be an issue, but we have to wait and see.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 11:29   Link #103
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Project Cafe: Nintendo's HD capable console

I figured this ought to have its own thread, as it's close to Tuesday and this is one rumor that is bound to make an entrance during Nintendo's conference and it should be a blast. Once more info comes through I will update accordingly, or if it's a giant troll, a dead thread it will be.

To start things off, Engadget has a post that contains a lot of information, by also clicking on the source links in that article.

So, what do you guys think? Game changer? Ribbons Almark Innovative? Christmas release date? Fire away!
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 11:55   Link #104
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Nintendo's ideas are beyond my imagination. So I can't predict how revolutionary it will be this time... The Wii was obviously amazing enough to convince Sony to cop... I mean, build their own wireless controller and Microsoft to think up something interesting as well, so we'll see.

I personally don't need HD.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 12:07   Link #105
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I think it's better to wait more infos about it cuz "Project Cafe" isn't the final name but just a first thought we can get on this.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 12:30   Link #106
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
I think it's better to wait more infos about it cuz "Project Cafe" isn't the final name but just a first thought we can get on this.
I know, that's why I'm waiting till the conference to update the thread title, as I can't really call it Wii 2 either because I think what makes the Wii what it is is that nunchuk. Or I'll be ROFL if it really is WiiII
Old 2011-06-05, 12:58   Link #107
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
So, what do you guys think? Game changer? Ribbons Almark Innovative? Christmas release date? Fire away!
From all the stuff i have been hearing so far is, that nintendo is trying to change local multiplayer gaming. Not that is is something new, in the past they have tried something with the GCN+GBA and Wii+NDS, but it never actually took off.
So in the coming gen, nintendo and sony will sheer their focus on this perspective of gaming, sony will expand on their remote play experience with PSVita.
My answer: local multiplayer revolution/evolution.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 13:01   Link #108
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Wii was a gimmick that sold games to non-gamers. Profitable, sure. But I still know way more people who own 360s and PS3s, and I'm sure ultimately that Sony and Microsoft made more money at least here in the States.

Nintendo's going to have to get off their egotistical high-horse and play the specs game if they hope to compete with Microsoft, Sony and of course PC gaming. They're a lot more polite about it, but Nintendo likes to talk down to non-casual gamers the same way cliffyb hung PC gamers out to dry.
Old 2011-06-05, 13:10   Link #109
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Some people speculate that the controller will have a Touch Screen...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 14:03   Link #110
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

ehh didnt we have other thread about this?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 16:43   Link #111
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The Wii was a gimmick that sold games to non-gamers. Profitable, sure. But I still know way more people who own 360s and PS3s, and I'm sure ultimately that Sony and Microsoft made more money at least here in the States.

Nintendo's going to have to get off their egotistical high-horse and play the specs game if they hope to compete with Microsoft, Sony and of course PC gaming. They're a lot more polite about it, but Nintendo likes to talk down to non-casual gamers the same way cliffyb hung PC gamers out to dry.
Er... no way in hell. Sony takes a massive blow bellow the belt with each console sold. They make up their profits out of licensing fees and royalties. Considering the PS3 in all intents and purposes a flop this generation with only an extreme few exclusives worth getting.

Microsoft, is doing better though. They make some money with their console sales on top of licensing fees and royalties. In comparison to sony, this is the better deal, they share about 90% of the same games and has better exclusives in terms of both quantity and quality. And Live is way better than PSN. This is hands down the better choice of the two.

Nintendo makes money hand over fist with each console sold. To top it off they still sell more in the states than the other two. Nintendo always makes a profit, plain and simple.

All in all, between my 360 and Wii, I actually have double the games on the Wii surprisingly.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 16:48   Link #112
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Some people speculate that the controller will have a Touch Screen...
Indeed. I thought it was silly idea at first but when I thought about it a bit more I actually thought it could work pretty well.

For example, in an RPG or so, the touch screen on the controller could be used to quickly access menus without interrupting anything happening on the main screen, like a battle.

Or the screen could contain all the things an HUD would, like like health bars and such.

In the long run though it could make games a little trickier too, as you'll need to turn your attention away from the action for a few moments.
Old 2011-06-05, 18:15   Link #113
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Some rumors about this system that seem likely:

GPU is based on R700 AMD GPU (hopefully a modified Radeon HD 4850)
CPU based on a Tri-core Power PC CPU similar to what XBox 360 has (though I'm sure it'll perform better)
Minimum of 512 MB RAM, very possible it could be more
Proprietary opitcal disc drive with 25 GB capacity discs

(Edit: this last tidbit is a fact, not a rumor) Online service to be handled by another company.

The system will be unveiled this Tuesday, June 7th.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2011-06-05 at 18:55.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 18:17   Link #114
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I started a thread about this in April. Maybe the mods can merge the threads.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...37#post3640537
Old 2011-06-05, 18:19   Link #115
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I started a thread about this in April. Maybe the mods can merge the threads.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...37#post3640537
Threads merged, although I feel a new title for the thread will be needed. If there's one in particular you want, send me a PM and I'll make the change.
Old 2011-06-05, 18:43   Link #116
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The Wii was obviously amazing enough to convince Sony to cop... I mean, build their own wireless controller and Microsoft to think up something interesting as well, so we'll see.
To them, the Wii was amazing in sales, not in used technology. They wanted to have their share of the casual gamer market.
Quote:
You're extrapolating your personal view to the entire US. Sales data shows different trends.

Sony and Microsoft sold consoles at a loss for years. Sony's PS3 didn't take off until recently, and the Xbox 360 cost Microsoft a lot of money by trying to make up for the RRoD.
Old 2011-06-05, 20:57   Link #117
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
To them, the Wii was amazing in sales, not in used technology. They wanted to have their share of the casual gamer market..
Who knows? Either way, amazing is amazing.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 00:43   Link #118
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

E3 is just a few days away. I'm itching to hear some hard facts.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 00:45   Link #119
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Threads merged, although I feel a new title for the thread will be needed. If there's one in particular you want, send me a PM and I'll make the change.
I'd say wait till after the conference. The reason why I didn't see this thread was because I went 3 pages back and wasn't looking for the Wii, which I still feel it's not really going to be in the same family, kinda like how the DS separated itself from Gameboy.

The Dreamcast had a nice concept with that VMU in the controller, but the lack of a better screen left much to be desired. If this Nintendo rumor is true, I'd like to experience that Dreamcast feeling in higher resolution

But that makes me think with a screen on the controller, this console is going to be an RPG magnet, in a similar way the DS became an RPG magnet simply because touching the RPG gameplay was a cool new experience from all that d-pad action
Old 2011-06-06, 10:01   Link #120
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Who knows? Either way, amazing is amazing.
Oh, come on. It's obvious. They only copied the Wii years later, when it had sold boatloads. When the Wii came out, they were making fun of its technology, especially Sony.

Tags
nintendo