AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-08, 16:59   Link #3521
autobachs
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqpfU...eature=related
Just wait until there is video of one of these union thugs slapping some old Senior at one of these townhalls. When that hits youtube Obama will lose 5% easy. The left is un-glued.
Old 2009-08-08, 21:37   Link #3522
Shadow Kira01

Nagasaki mayor calls on humanity to choose path to nuke-free world

Quote:
Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue on Sunday called on people around the globe to choose the path toward a world free of nuclear weapons, echoing a call made earlier by U.S. President Barack Obama, as the southwestern Japanese city commemorated the 64th anniversary of the U.S. atomic bombing.

''We, as human beings, now have two paths before us,'' Taue said in his Peace Declaration read out at a memorial ceremony at Nagasaki Peace Park. ''While one can lead us to 'a world without nuclear weapons,' the other will carry us toward annihilation.''
Quote:
In April, Obama said in Prague that the United States will seek a world without nuclear weapons, creating a wave of optimism among those who are petitioning for the abolishment of nuclear arms across the world.

''President Obama's speech was a watershed event, in that the United States, a superpower possessing nuclear weapons, finally took a step towards the elimination of nuclear armaments,'' Taue said, adding that people in Nagasaki are circulating petitions urging the U.S. leader to visit the city, which was devastated by the 1945 bombing.
Quote:
Taue touched on Pyongyang's conduct, saying, ''As long as the world continues to rely on nuclear deterrence and nuclear weapons continue to exist, the possibility always exists that dangerous nations like North Korea and terrorists will emerge.''

He urged the international community to make North Korea destroy its nuclear arsenal and said the five major nuclear powers -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States -- must ''fulfill their responsibility to reduce nuclear arms.''
9 dead as helicopter, plane collide in NYC

Sad news is sad..

So many dead over sightseeing..

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-08-08 at 23:25. Reason: updated.
Old 2009-08-09, 01:23   Link #3523
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Key phrase there (bolded by me) ... quite different than "child prostitutes" being actively engaged in such. Also the use of the word "youth" which often means anyone under 25 in these sorts of exercises.

Not saying there isn't a real problem -- just noting a LOT of arm-waving. Virtually all your links involve extensive arm-waving as well though some actually admit the lack of data. Many fail to even define what they mean by "children". Is a 19 year old a child? A 23yr old? I've seen 25 year olds labeled as "children" in some stats for the purposes of inflating numbers.

Follow the numbers quoted in all the links to their source and watch the substance of the numbers vanish in a haze of arm-waving and sometimes sourceless assertions. From the UN link:It would really help if the emotional strings arm-waving were put aside and the specific real problems hit with a spotlight. My "bullshit" detector ("think of the children!") just says a lot of grants and budgets depend on this appearing to affect a larger population than it actually does (in the US). The international sex trafficking problem (involving people both underage and adult), OTOH, has real meat to the statistics involving actual raids, captures, and arrests
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostituted Youth in New York City: An Overview, Mia Spangenberg, ECPAT
...Yet, there are as many as 400,000 prostituted children in the U.S, and 45,000
to 50,000 women and children are trafficked into the U.S. every year, often to work in
prostitution...
I was only pointing out that the number has been in circulation for a while and Dr. James Lavine had only procured the it from one of the reliable sources such as ECPAT, reports cited by DOJ, etc for his remark on complexity of the issue(19:30, A story of hope amid despair). Apparently, he got his figure from CDC. He was more concerned about child prostitution prevailing in India and spoke much about his traumatizing experience in India and his guilty conscience which led him to write The Blue Notebook. Yes, prostitution isn't Commercial and Sexual Exploitation of Children but a sub category in it and even though extensive survey hasn't been conducted about child prostitution in America in recent years, those estimates shouldn't be discounted so easily.

Obama’s Embrace of a Bush Tactic Riles Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytimes
WASHINGTON — President Obama has issued signing statements claiming the authority to bypass dozens of provisions of bills enacted into law since he took office, provoking mounting criticism by lawmakers from both parties.

President George W. Bush, citing expansive theories about his constitutional powers, set off a national debate in 2006 over the propriety of signing statements — instructions to executive officials about how to interpret and put in place new laws — after he used them to assert that he could authorize officials to bypass laws like a torture ban and oversight provisions of the USA Patriot Act.

In the presidential campaign, Mr. Obama called Mr. Bush’s use of signing statements an “abuse,” and said he would issue them with greater restraint. The Obama administration says the signing statements the president has signed so far, challenging portions of five bills, have been based on mainstream interpretations of the Constitution and echo reservations routinely expressed by presidents of both parties.

Still, since taking office, Mr. Obama has relaxed his criteria for what kinds of signing statements are appropriate. And last month several leading Democrats — including Representatives Barney Frank of Massachusetts and David R. Obey of Wisconsin — sent a letter to Mr. Obama complaining about one of his signing statements.

“During the previous administration, all of us were critical of the president’s assertion that he could pick and choose which aspects of Congressional statutes he was required to enforce,” they wrote. “We were therefore chagrined to see you appear to express a similar attitude.”

They were reacting to a statement Mr. Obama issued after signing a bill that expanded assistance to the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank while requiring the administration to pressure the organizations to adopt certain policies. Mr. Obama said he could disregard the negotiation instructions under his power to conduct foreign relations.

The administration protested that it planned to carry out the provisions anyway and that its statement merely expressed a general principle. But Congress was not mollified. On July 9, in a bipartisan rebuke, the House of Representatives voted 429 to 2 to ban officials from using federal money to disobey the restrictions. And in their July 21 letter, Mr. Frank and Mr. Obey — the chairmen of the Financial Services Committee and the Appropriations Committee — asked Mr. Obama to stop issuing such signing statements, warning that Congress might not approve more money for the banking organizations unless he agreed.

In March, Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa, sent Mr. Obama a letter criticizing a signing statement that challenged a statute protecting government whistle-blowers who tell lawmakers privileged or “otherwise confidential” information. He accused Mr. Obama of chilling potential whistle-blowers, undermining the intent of Congress in a way that violated his campaign promises. The White House said it intended only to reaffirm similar reservations made by previous presidents.

Other laws Mr. Obama has said he need not obey as written include format requirements for budget requests, limits on whom he may appoint to a commission, and a restriction on putting troops under United Nations command.

After Mr. Bush transformed signing statements from an obscure tool into a commonplace term, Mr. Obama’s willingness to use them has disappointed some who had hoped he would roll back the practice, not entrench it.

“We didn’t think it was an appropriate practice when President Bush was doing it, and our policy is such that we don’t think it is an appropriate practice when President Obama is doing it,” said H. Thomas Wells, who just stepped down as president of the American Bar Association.

In 2006, the association called the practice unconstitutional and said presidents should veto legislation if it had flaws, giving Congress a chance to override the pronouncements.

A World Without Whales?

Last edited by Saleh; 2009-08-09 at 06:58. Reason: misplaced tag
Old 2009-08-09, 07:02   Link #3524
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Singapore Celebrates 44th Birthday

Watching the parade on TV now. One of the performers in the armsdrill squad dropped his rifle!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-08-09, 07:18   Link #3525
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Noordin M. Top, one of the terrorist leader that do recent bombings in Indonesia is believed to be killed in police raid.

I hope this can stop terrorism act in Indonesia... Why those stupid terrorists picks Indonesia as their target anyway?

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Old 2009-08-09, 07:31   Link #3526
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furuno View Post
Noordin M. Top, one of the terrorist leader that do recent bombings in Indonesia is believed to be killed in police raid.

I hope this can stop terrorism act in Indonesia... Why those stupid terrorists picks Indonesia as their target anyway?
Don't forget: Indonesia is the largest Muslim country by population, and is held as an example of "successful" Muslim countries (the other being Turkey). If Indonesia is brought crashing down, it would be a morale boost to these extremists.
Old 2009-08-09, 08:47   Link #3527
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furuno View Post

ISLAMISM is the enemy. Wherever you're from. This is a spectre that threatens the pillars/institutions of all civilized nations. That's the reality so we must be vigilant against anyone suspicious. I hope someday, those breed of Muslims will be secularized, through exposure to cultural studies, materialism and pop culture so that we can all live in peace kumbayaaaaa. If Muslims can be secular, Islamists can too.
Old 2009-08-09, 09:04   Link #3528
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

"Greece alone translated five times more books every year from English to Greek than the entire Arab world translated from English to Arabic; the G.D.P. of Spain was greater than that of all 22 Arab states combined; 65 million Arab adults were illiterate."

Quoted from one of T.L. Friedman's articles at the NYT.
Old 2009-08-09, 10:52   Link #3529
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
TOKYO — A strong earthquake shook Japan's capital and surrounding areas Sunday, halting trains and a professional baseball game, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
Looks like they shook it off. Reported 7.1

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...EQUmQD99VC5G00
Old 2009-08-09, 11:21   Link #3530
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post

now thats really weird
i hope they don't mis-record the magnitude scale, improved safety technology maybe?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-08-09, 13:28   Link #3531
Thingle
Banned

Tokyo Magnitude 7.1 Lol. Life imitating art.
Old 2009-08-09, 22:45   Link #3532
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post

Yeah... I totally enjoyed that last nite (not)

Hit 4度/3度 - with the epicentre being Chiba iirc from the TV reports. Most of Tokyo felt that one and sure enough when the foundations of a house are creaking and the Earth's beginning to rumble, you know it's pretty bad *shudders*

As for 7.1, prob on the Ricter scale, maybe? (or over hyped)
I can only sense them by Japanese shindo scales, so not sure how it converts to the Western scale now.
*reads the report*
Hmm.... Sounds like BS to me somewhat to compare it to Kobe.
I've felt stronger than last night and by no means is it what went down in Kobe, cause it takes a 6度 and above to make roads split and bridges collapse...
But to stop trains running, yeah. The last thing we'd need is for one to turn over while running x.x;;;

Eitherway not the worst of the bunch and not the best, just another day in Japan eh?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-08-10, 02:03   Link #3533
Woopzilla
Desensitized

So there's been no signs of any casualties or damage since the quake?

Earthquakes sure are scary. Surprisingly, we've felt some here in the UK in recent years. Those shook up my house good, and they're obviously just weak ones. I can't image what it's like to live in an actual earthquake prone area... but then again you probably grow used to them if you've lived there all your life?

Hopefully Tokyo will be well prepared for this speculated upcoming major quake.
Old 2009-08-10, 06:39   Link #3534
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
That's a fair evaluation. On the whole, he's been advancing the agendas that he had promised. He alone can't fix everything or make things happen, yet we're already seeing troop reductions in Iraq (finally). It's counter-balanced against increasing the troop size in Afghanistan, but I feel that one is slightly justified.
I have to give Obama credit for keeping (or trying to keep, which in the end, is better than many politicians would actually do) his promises, but at the same time, it's also a matter of keeping, following through and finishing your commitments. It's a ding if you start something but don't finish it, IMHO. Currently, it averages out, but more in his favor; it may tilt the other way depending on how it finishes, though.

To be honest, one worry of returning troops back from Iraq and Afghanistan is where they would be. Regular troops return to base, but reserve units usually have jobs. Right now, I suspect those are being taken up by replacement workers or not being replaced at all, but as they return home, what happens then? We do need the economy back and people being hired and working. Otherwise, unemployment numbers and costs may go up as well.

And if people have family serving out there, they likely want them back sooner rather than later, so keeping them, unwillingly, in the ranks is not a good idea, IMHO.

Quote:
The healthcare thing seems really badly placed in terms of timing, but who knows? We're in a rebuilding sort of stage now; maybe this is actually the better timing to do it. And even if Obama fails at it, I'd rather that he try than not. Someone has to take that risk and accept a few cuts in their ratings to even suggest it. I don't imagine that his potential failure at implementing it would make it any harder to implement in the future.
Not really saying that changing the state of healthcare should not been done. I've gone through the various options available in the U.S. - from Medicaid to university plans (self-sponsored types, I think) to company PMO's - and IMHO, all are lacking. The NIH plan in the U.K., personal experience-wise, was also just painful; it was actually easier to pay cash for the visit/treatment (and jump the queue) and then get reimbursed by the company.

What I'm worried about is that this, if failed, will cause him to either fail his plans or reverse changes outright. As Obama becomes less popular, the less likely he will be able to get things done - without a lot of negotiation and compromises if not outright obstruction. Polls' results look to be focusing more on the economy and jobs ATM; healthcare, given that he has at least 3 more years (unless his government topples outright), doesn't need to be on his plate immediately, IMHO.

Quote:
Maybe I just have low expectations. I want the president to make peace with other countries and, to but it bluntly, make it his priority to not piss other people off. That's about it. Congress should be doing the rest, not the president. Obama lost some of my approval by very early taking sides in the Gates vs. Crowley race issue, but at least that was a domestic thing, not an international one. I'm still pretty happy with what he's doing. I'd be even happier if he'd stop increasing the debt, but I guess you can't do that without having people complain that you're doing too little. Hell, if the average American doesn't understand the importance of saving in their own life, why should they understand why it's important on the national level?
It sounds like a head of state vs a head of government debate? In terms of peace... It can be tricky and more than a bit... sensitive to people's own opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

Hit 4度/3度 - with the epicentre being Chiba iirc from the TV reports. Most of Tokyo felt that one and sure enough when the foundations of a house are creaking and the Earth's beginning to rumble, you know it's pretty bad *shudders*
The odd thing is that I didn't feel anything that night, and I am also in Tokyo (near Shibuya). My building moves and shifts to counter the earth's movements so I can usually feel the slightest quakes as the building shakes them off.

Mudslides bury hundreds in Taiwan
Quote:
A typhoon-spawned mudslide engulfed a mountain village in southern Taiwan, burying schools and homes and hundreds of people under debris, a police official said Monday.
Hopefully, rescue crews can get there soon. The typhoon also forced almost 1M people along China's east coast to evacuate.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-08-10, 10:22   Link #3535
Saleh
Inactive

Iran will strongly resist West vote interference: official

Quote:
TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran accused the West on Monday of "meddling" in its state affairs for criticizing its mass trial of moderates charged with spying and trying to topple the clerical establishment after the disputed president vote.

"Do we interfere in other countries' state matters? Why should they interfere in ours? Iran will strongly resist such meddling," senior official Hassan Qashqavi told a weekly news conference.

"Why don't they (the West) leave us and our people alone?"

The June 12 election, which secured hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election, plunged Iran into its biggest internal crisis since the 1979 Islamic revolution, exposed deepening divisions in its ruling elite and set off a wave of protests that left 26 people dead.

In an attempt to uproot the opposition, Iran began two mass trials of over 100 people, including prominent figures, a French woman and two Iranians working for the British and French embassies in Tehran. It charged them with spying and assisting a Western plot to overthrow the clerical rule.

The United States and its European allies have rejected the trials as a "show." Britain and France have denied that those detained were spies. The Swedish EU presidency said actions against one EU country or citizen were considered an act against the entire 27-nation bloc.

Espionage and acting against national security are punishable by death under Iran's Islamic law.
French Foreign Minister slams 'show' trial amid detainee rape allegations

Quote:
French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner confirmed on Monday that the French embassy in Tehran was ready to shelter Iranian protesters fleeing the police during the post-election unrest.

“If protestors being chased had sought refuge in the French embassy the instruction was to open the door. This is a European order. This is in our democratic tradition”, said Kouchner in an interview with the French daily newspaper Le Parisien.

The admission came after a dual nationality employee from the embassy’s cultural section, Nazak Afshar, was accused of acting against Iran’s national security at a revolutionary court in Tehran on Saturday.

According to Iran’s official IRNA news agency, Afshar “confessed” that French embassy employees had been instructed to give refuge to protesters in case of a clash with police in front of the mission’s compound, fuelling Tehran’s suspicion that foreign powers were behind the post-election unrest.

Foreigners charged with “spying”

Iran has put around 110 people in the dock, including prominent Iranian reformists and two employees of foreign embassies, as well as one French national.

French lecturer Clotilde Reiss was arrested on July 1 as she was about to catch a flight to Beirut. She was later charged with “spying” and “inciting riots” after admitting that she took part in the protests at Isfahan, emailed photos to friends, and sent a report to the French embassy.

Clotilde Reiss’ case has sparked outrage in France, and Kouchner has repeatedly called for the Frenchwoman to be freed, saying the charges against her are “completely without basis”

“Saying a 23 year-old French woman incited millions of people to demonstrate is not serious. She didn’t instigate protests (…) she merely walked along with hundreds of thousands of Iranians, and that’s not an offence”, said Kouchner.

Rape allegations in Tehran’s jail

On the Iranian side, allegations of sexual abuse of detainees emerged after defeated presidential candidate Mehdi Karoubi asked for an investigation by Iran’s powerful Council of Expediency.

“Some senior officials told me that ... really shameful issues ... Some young male detainees were raped ... also some young female detainees were raped in a way that has caused serious injuries” said Karoubi in a letter he wrote to Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a former president and current head of the Expediency Council.

N. Korea stages Arirang mass games
Old 2009-08-10, 12:25   Link #3536
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
"Do we interfere in other countries' state matters? Why should they interfere in ours? Iran will strongly resist such meddling," senior official Hassan Qashqavi told a weekly news conference.
LOL. You don't suppose there might be a few people in, say, Lebanon that think Iran "interferes in other countries' state matters?"
Old 2009-08-10, 12:35   Link #3537
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh the hypocrisy... as if *any* country fails to put their interests forward when other countries are deciding elections or policy :P
Old 2009-08-10, 12:57   Link #3538
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Oh the hypocrisy... as if *any* country fails to put their interests forward when other countries are deciding elections or policy :P
As if any country fails to be hypocritical when it suits them...
Old 2009-08-10, 13:42   Link #3539
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post

Obama’s Embrace of a Bush Tactic Riles Congress

Originally Posted by Nytimes
WASHINGTON — President Obama has issued signing statements claiming the authority to bypass dozens of provisions of bills enacted into law since he took office, provoking mounting criticism by lawmakers from both parties.

President George W. Bush, citing expansive theories about his constitutional powers, set off a national debate in 2006 over the propriety of signing statements — instructions to executive officials about how to interpret and put in place new laws — after he used them to assert that he could authorize officials to bypass laws like a torture ban and oversight provisions of the USA Patriot Act.

In the presidential campaign, Mr. Obama called Mr. Bush’s use of signing statements an “abuse,” and said he would issue them with greater restraint. The Obama administration says the signing statements the president has signed so far, challenging portions of five bills, have been based on mainstream interpretations of the Constitution and echo reservations routinely expressed by presidents of both parties.

Still, since taking office, Mr. Obama has relaxed his criteria for what kinds of signing statements are appropriate. And last month several leading Democrats — including Representatives Barney Frank of Massachusetts and David R. Obey of Wisconsin — sent a letter to Mr. Obama complaining about one of his signing statements.

“During the previous administration, all of us were critical of the president’s assertion that he could pick and choose which aspects of Congressional statutes he was required to enforce,” they wrote. “We were therefore chagrined to see you appear to express a similar attitude.”

They were reacting to a statement Mr. Obama issued after signing a bill that expanded assistance to the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank while requiring the administration to pressure the organizations to adopt certain policies. Mr. Obama said he could disregard the negotiation instructions under his power to conduct foreign relations.
Would some Obama supporter please respond. i love to hear from some Obama supporters who told i was crazy to support Clinton last yr.
Old 2009-08-10, 15:19   Link #3540
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
The odd thing is that I didn't feel anything that night, and I am also in Tokyo (near Shibuya). My building moves and shifts to counter the earth's movements so I can usually feel the slightest quakes as the building shakes them off.
Shizuoka Izu, Shizuoka area, weak level 6. Dude... that's not a joke.
Do tell me you felt the level 3/4度 at 5.07am this morning as I just got woken up with? x.x;;;;;;
Breaking news has just began on the TV on all channels now, nice way to wake up on a workday, ugh...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international