AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-09, 02:37   Link #1261
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
But the thing is Naruto is meant for younger viewers while TAMNI is for older teenagers. Furthermore, the subjects that TAMNI talks about and shows might not be appropriate. (eg. Cloning, Christianity and Magic, Angels, Dismemberment, etc)
And let's not forget the killer: Homosexuality.
Old 2009-10-09, 11:31   Link #1262
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Also trasvestism and pedoboys coughAcceleratorcoughcough
Old 2009-10-09, 22:30   Link #1263
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Quote:
But the thing is Naruto is meant for younger viewers while TAMNI is for older teenagers. Furthermore, the subjects that TAMNI talks about and shows might not be appropriate. (eg. Cloning, Christianity and Magic, Angels, Dismemberment, etc)
Yea I would like to comment on both of them.

In regards to Keroko's comments on homosexuality, while it is true To Aru Majutsu no Index there is a lesbian character in To Aru Majutsu no Index (Kuroko), there aren't any scenes where Kuroko and Mikoto ACTUALLY preform homosexual acts. Besides mindsets and interpretations between young children and adults are quite different (for example, in Azumanga Daioh in regards to Kaorin/Sakaki relationship, a child might interpret this as if Kaorin is big fan of Sakaki while an adult may interpret this a same-sex love relationship).

-----

@MrTerrorist's comments: You are going to have criticisms when it certain entertainment media. For example, Pokemon, an anime targeted to children, was criticized by many Christian organizations because they claim that it promotes Satanism and theory of evoultion and therefore blasphemous. Similarly, the Harry Potter book series was criticized by many Christian watchdogs claiming it promotes witchcraft. Even Left Behind books, which were meant for Christian audiences, were targeted by the same watchdog groups.

I would also like to point out that Disney XD is meant to target 10-17 year old boys and there are a few programing dedicated to teenagers (I think the Naruto: Shipudden anime can be shifted to a 12-16 year old demographic).

Now in regards to issues like dismemberment, bloodshed, and a very embarrassing scene from the first episode (check spoilers), Disney can work around this in many ways (bear in note that the editing and dubbing doesn't always have to be Disney doing it with the exception of the third option):

1) Censor out every profanity, nudity, gore, etc. while keeping the original storyline (that means Christian symbolism in the anime will NOT be removed), dub it, and air it in Disney XD primetime. Of course, Disney will end up facing boycotts from Christian watchdog groups while the anime still appeals to younger demographics. This may be an act of Woolseyism or Bowdlersm depending on your perspective.

2) Dub the anime and not/minimal censor To Aru Majutsu no Index and air the anime in Disney XD near-midnight/late night (where many very young children would be sleeping by then, unless if they are homeschooled). If you notice, many teenager/adult TV programing usually midnight/late night. Heck, Disney may create a late night programming block in Disney XD dedicated to anime for teenagers/young adults.

3) Have Disney dub and distribute the anime directly in DVD. Anime in DVD are rarely censored. That way, no one would complain about having an "anti-Christian" anime in Disney XD or fans crying that the anime will be bowdlerized. Keep in mind that Disney had handled anime in the past such as Hayao Miyazaki's films.

Persoanally, I think if To Aru Majutsu no Index should be distributed or aired in the United States, the licensor should be pick up well-known voice actors and actresses from different anime and video games (such as James Arnold Taylor, who voices Tidus from Final Fantasy X and one of the main characters in one of the Animatrix anime shorts, voicing Touma; Miley Cyrus, a.k.a Hannah Montana and some 3D movie made by Disney, as Index; Tara Strong, who voices the baby from Spirited Away and Rikku from Final Fantasy X, as Mikoto Misaka; Wendee Lee, who voices Haruhi Suzimiya and Konata Izumi, as Kuroko Shirai; Jessica Boone, who voices Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh, as Komoe-sensei, etc). As for the issue of To Aru Majutsu no Index attracting a bunch of 4-9 year olds, I don't it would be a big problem. Unless if Miley Cyrus having a role in this anime is the reason why the said demographic will watch this anime, then we have a problem.

Spoiler for The very embarassing scene in episode one:
Old 2009-10-09, 23:22   Link #1264
relentlessflame

*Administrator

You know, all this is nice in theory, but Index is an extremely niche sci-fi show in a tiny anime market. While it'd be nice to dream about large media companies picking up a show like this and hiring a sort of dream cast to work on it... it's just not going to happen, any more than this show airing on American TV is going to happen. Anime companies haven't even picked this (or Shana II) up for a subtitled release, so I'm not sure where the money and interest is going to come from to do anything remotely resembling what you're proposing. Not that I think Disney wouldn't or couldn't do it if the property were right, but no matter how much I like it, this just isn't a show that screams "mainstream American success" like a Naruto or a Bleach. It's a preachy sci-fi that appeals to a small niche of the anime market. We'll be lucky to see it at all. Not that it's bad to dream, of course...
Old 2009-10-10, 00:50   Link #1265
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
Apparently, Disney has already planned to release another well known shonen anime late this month, so why not bring To Aru Majutsu no Index along?

Anyone wish to comment on my ideas for the English dub cast for this anime.
Naruto is a straighforward mainsteam action show and a proven big-time money maker, as such it is only natural that Disney would show interest.

To Aru is a niche title with some potentially controversial content. Now, controversy is okay if it generates big sales, but in this case it is unlikely.

If Disney were to ask for my opinion, I would have told them to skip it, I don't see how they can make any real money in the US from this show.
Old 2009-10-10, 17:23   Link #1266
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Naruto is a straighforward mainsteam action show and a proven big-time money maker, as such it is only natural that Disney would show interest.

To Aru is a niche title with some potentially controversial content. Now, controversy is okay if it generates big sales, but in this case it is unlikely.

If Disney were to ask for my opinion, I would have told them to skip it, I don't see how they can make any real money in the US from this show.

Okay from the scale from one to ten (one for not likely/suitable, ten for very likely/suitable):
  • the probability of this anime aired/distributed in the U.S. in DVD if you disregard the concerns of the possibility of an "anti-Christian" controversy.
  • suitability for Disney XD
  • getting this anime dubbed
  • getting well-known VA from different anime and video games to dub this anime

To Aru Majutsu no Index is a shonen anime like Naruto, so what other reasons Disney may say no to this anime? Of course, I also don't mind if this anime isn't dubbed by Disney and/or exclusively released in DVD.
Old 2009-10-10, 17:36   Link #1267
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
To Aru Majutsu no Index is a shonen anime like Naruto, so what other reasons Disney may say no to this anime?
Lack of popularity. There are thousands of more Naruto fans than there are To Aru fans.
Old 2009-10-10, 18:05   Link #1268
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Lack of popularity. There are thousands of more Naruto fans than there are To Aru fans.
Yeah, unfortunately people go more for the "solid, if blind, action series" over shows that go for a blend of action and dialogue, lol. Not that Naruto is blind action....well, it is a little, but with background and plot in the backseats....but anyway, it also doesn't help that Index's initital media was a light novel, which, let's face it, didn't help to attract the action-addicted masses that flock around more graphical/pictorial media.
Old 2009-10-10, 21:46   Link #1269
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Okay from the scale from one to ten (one for not likely/suitable, ten for very likely/suitable):
  • the probability of this anime aired/distributed in the U.S. in DVD if you disregard the concerns of the possibility of an "anti-Christian" controversy.
If you want my opinion...

Odds of being licensed: 5
Suitability for Disney: 1
Odds of a dub: 4
Odds of getting well-known dub actors: 2

Quote:
To Aru Majutsu no Index is a shonen anime like Naruto, so what other reasons Disney may say no to this anime? Of course, I also don't mind if this anime isn't dubbed by Disney and/or exclusively released in DVD.
But Index is really nothing at all like Naruto. Naruto is a long-running shounen ninja action show that runs in Shounen Jump with a proven track record of attracting the coveted "tween" and "teenage" male audiences. Index is a short, 24-episode shounen sci-fi show with a propensity for long stretches of exposition, based on a series of relatively-niche light novels, and with an emphasis on moe~ heroines like Index and Mikoto. While, of course, it's totally true that someone who likes Naruto may also like Index (and vice-versa), there's no demonstrable correlation, and it certainly isn't 1:1. Otherwise I think the show would have seen a much larger and more passionate following back when it aired last year.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Index is a good show, and I bought all the Japanese volumes on Blu-Ray. But very few anime have "what it takes" to become huge mainstream success stories in North America. Index just really doesn't seem to me like that sort of show. If it were, I doubt that it would have taken the North American companies so long to option it.
Old 2009-10-11, 00:36   Link #1270
durack

Quote:
1. 7/10 (if Crunchyroll can pick it up on the cheap)
2. 1/10
3. 4/10
4. Dunno...

Once again, Naruto is a straightforward action title. Index is more of a Harry Potter type story but selling it to Harry Potter fans....ugh...good luck.
Old 2009-10-13, 13:52   Link #1271
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If you want my opinion...

Odds of being licensed: 5
Suitability for Disney: 1
Odds of a dub: 4
Odds of getting well-known dub actors: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
1. 7/10 (if Crunchyroll can pick it up on the cheap)
2. 1/10
3. 4/10
4. Dunno...
Hmm, from the likes of these two scores, you guys show more optimism of seeing To Aru Majutsu no Index released in the U.S. than see the anime dubbed. Then when comparing to seeing the anime dubbed to the suitability for Disney XD, you guys are a bit more pessimistic on having the anime aired in Disney XD. Of course, that's understandable, but have you guys after thought about To Aru Majutsu no Index in Adult Swim?

What I don't like about anime licensors simply subbing the anime instead of dubbing it and having an option for watching the anime in Japanese with English subtitles is that by the time the licensor decides to release the anime subbed, the said anime might have already been subbed by the fans. I do have high hopes of seeing To Aru Majutsu no Index being distributed in DVD in the U.S., but if I find out the licensor simply plans to sub the anime and not dub it, I would like "WTF? I watched To Aru Majutsu no Index x years ago in Veoh fansubbed by Eclipse and all I got was another sub?"

Spoiler for episode 15:
Old 2009-10-30, 03:39   Link #1272
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I just found the To Aru Majustu no Index wikia!
I hope those of you who know more about Index & railgun series will help this wikia grow.

Here's the link.
Old 2009-10-30, 04:10   Link #1273
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
I just found the To Aru Majustu no Index wikia!
I hope those of you who know more about Index & railgun series will help this wikia grow.

Here's the link.
The article about magic is EPIC... not.
Old 2009-10-30, 05:42   Link #1274
tsunade666

I didn't think someone would even create a wiki for index. Well its cast and terms are very huge. Well thanks for the link anyway. And
also I think it just started. Their aren't even a finished page yet. Wiki knows more yet than wikia.

Last edited by tsunade666; 2009-10-30 at 05:55.
Old 2009-11-02, 07:47   Link #1275
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It will take time for that to happen.

EDIT: Took out "excessive" posting.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2009-11-02 at 19:53.
Old 2009-11-02, 09:55   Link #1276
Miraluka
Banned

It just started, right?
Old 2009-11-02, 11:08   Link #1277
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
It just started, right?
Yes.

... Shall I make this public in that other certain novels forum...?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-11-03, 13:01   Link #1278
tsunade666

Even if its made public the info's on it are still few or rather there aren't yet. It will be good if people will start contributing on it.
Old 2009-11-15, 12:21   Link #1279
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
/Mega-late.

So after hearing a lot of "hoopla!" about Railgun, I decided to check out the series. So I decided I'd actually watch the first season (Index, unlike what I did with Haruka where I started season 2, then season 1.) and I marathoned it.

Very good series, I'm not going to go into great deal, but I really liked it. I usually watch harem/comedy/romance/drama anime (Bakemonogatari, L*S, Clannad, Nyan Koi etc.) but this was nice for a change. I really enjoyed the characters and how Touma always seems to survive even though all he has is his right hand.

In short, off the top of my head, 8.5/10. Going to start Railgun now.
Old 2009-11-27, 23:24   Link #1280
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I have a question about To Aru Majutsu no Index, did To Aru Majutsu no Index follow the manga or the light novel? and if it did, then how accurate was it? did it miss anything or skip parts or important details?
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen