AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-06-12, 04:48   Link #1981
Tri-ring

I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if Arakawa-san aimed for it but 108 is the same number as a person's karma or in FFMA terminology "sin" in Buddhism.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 06:04   Link #1982
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
^I'm pretty sure the 108 is intentional. It's the magic number in Buddhism after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Spoiler for 108:
You gave me a chuckle with the "under him" remark I wouldn't be too sure, they don't have to indulge in a physical relationship to be happy. But would be good for them .

Nah, of course she's still a pretty cooky, but it made me wonder, since Arakawa loves details - why did she decide to have her cut it? Her reason for letting it grow was simple, so .. did she just feel like cutting it again? xD Or now
Spoiler for zoink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post

Spoiler:

And Hoheneim was a winner. Really. I almost cried.
Soo true. I really loved how Ed and Al ended up telling her everything, instead of shutting her out the whole time.
It was really weird in the first anime, because it did establish them as family, too. It even had this very nice lamp scene, with Winry guiding them back home. But in the end the Brothers didn't seem to care about anyone but the other. Funnily I wasn't shipping Edwin then (the implications weren't there or downplayed after all), but I was still very put down by having her put aside like uncle Freddy who never gets invited to Christmas dinner.

Spoiler for royai + Hoho:
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 07:30   Link #1983
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
It was really weird in the first anime, because it did establish them as family, too. It even had this very nice lamp scene, with Winry guiding them back home. But in the end the Brothers didn't seem to care about anyone but the other.
Yep I was thinking why should I care that these two fictional characters are in our world now (helping out people suffering in the war years lol) when they didn't even seem to care about the characters in their world.

I hated how they just basically ignored Winry like she was nothing to them in the end (minus that one hug from Ed).

In this series Ed and Al truly show how much they care about the characters who helped them on their journey. And with Winry they actually wanted to share their happiness. That hug was one of the best moments in the series. I don't care if its somewhat predictable. After you are with these characters for so many years you don't want plot twists you want them to be happy.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2010-06-12 at 15:25.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 15:08   Link #1984
kitten320

Yeh, I would prefer for Riza to keep her hair long, it suited better. Wonder why she decided to cut it all of a sudden...
Old 2010-06-12, 21:06   Link #1985
Vicious108

"Edward isn't going to sacrifice himself. He knows all too well the horror and despair of being left alone. He wouldn't subject Alphonse to that."

Haha. Pretty sure that wasn't her intent, but man did that feel like a subtle jab from Arakawa at the first anime to anyone else?
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 21:09   Link #1986
akire_and_atem

I think she wholeheartedly wrote that on purpose
akire_and_atem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 21:30   Link #1987
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
"Edward isn't going to sacrifice himself. He knows all too well the horror and despair of being left alone. He wouldn't subject Alphonse to that."

Haha. Pretty sure that wasn't her intent, but man did that feel like a subtle jab from Arakawa at the first anime to anyone else?
That's exactly how I felt when I read that haha. Totally agree.
Old 2010-06-13, 02:53   Link #1988
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
There is something, I don't really understand: Why did Ed draw a transmutation circle, at the time he wanted to get back Al?
Wasn't the clapping supposed to be a replacement for every possible circle? Like: Just think about it, clap and you can do it?
The same actually applies to father: He was able to transmute without a circle and without moving at all... why did he let sloth draw a circle around the country?
The obvious answer is that it doesn't apply to human transmutation. Think about it, human transmutation is meant to open an alchemist's own gate, which is his alchemy itself (Ed lost his gate, lost his alchemy).... so human transmutation is not ordinary alchemy. If you believe Truth is god, then human transmutation could even be seen as the "path" that lead to god...
Old 2010-06-13, 03:33   Link #1989
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:

Where did those words go...? They were in my mouth a second ago... Did somebody just take them out...? ^_^
Old 2010-06-13, 03:45   Link #1990
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Where did those words go...? They were in my mouth a second ago... Did somebody just take them out...? ^_^
To be fair, a lot of people have been saying for a long time now that Ed would probably end up staying with his automail leg after all this has ended to remind him never to forget what has taken place.
Old 2010-06-13, 04:39   Link #1991
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
To be fair, a lot of people have been saying for a long time now that Ed would probably end up staying with his automail leg after all this has ended to remind him never to forget what has taken place.
I think you miss my reference. I was talking about Endless' jab at the first season, which I quoted, phrased in the most roundabout way possible of suggesting Endless was "taking the words [right] out of my mouth", as in "you said what I was thinking", as a couple other people have already stated.

I already stated my happiness about successfully guessing the physical conditions of the boys, so there's no need for me to go on about it. I never suggested I was the only one to come to that conclusion, 'cause believe me, if I had been, I probably wouldn't just be dwelling on it, I'd have built houses and hotels and started charging rent... ^_^
Old 2010-06-13, 07:30   Link #1992
Kirarakim

Quote:

Ha Ha yeah I was thinking the same thing. Actually a while back I got in a "debate" with someone that the first anime should have taken out the scene where Al yelled at Ed for trying to sacrifice himself during the Scar incident since the last episode when both brothers decided to sacrifice themselves clearly missed the point.

That is always one (of many) things I love about the manga that the story says sacrifice is not the answer because you have so much more to live for. I feel two many stories go down the other route.
Old 2010-06-13, 07:40   Link #1993
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Ha Ha yeah I was thinking the same thing. Actually a while back I got in a "debate" with someone that the first anime should have taken out the scene where Al yelled at Ed for trying to sacrifice himself during the Scar incident since the last episode when both brothers decided to sacrifice themselves clearly missed the point.

That is always one (of many) things I love about the manga that the story says sacrifice is not the answer because you have so much more to live for. I feel two many stories go down the other route.
Seconded. My thoughts exactly. It's what I think about whenever I say the end just don't fit the series on the whole.

I gotta admit I had to grin at that when I first read the chapter, even so the scene is so dramatic. Precisely because it sounded a bit like a "Take that!" from Arakawa. Dunno if it was deliberately to kick them, but it sure underlines Ed's choice.
Old 2010-06-13, 16:39   Link #1994
Vicious108

Quote:
Actually a while back I got in a "debate" with someone that the first anime should have taken out the scene where Al yelled at Ed for trying to sacrifice himself during the Scar incident since the last episode when both brothers decided to sacrifice themselves clearly missed the point.
Yep, that was one of the many things the first anime ended up contradicting with their original material, resulting in massive character derailment.

Anyways, now that it’s been a day since I've read it and the final chapter has sunk in, I’d like to post some thoughts on it. Overall it might not have been a mind-blowing ending, but it was definitely an extremely enjoyable, sweet, emotionally charged and particularly fitting one.

First of all, I'd like to address the complaints that the ending was… “too happy”.

Spoiler for Long:

But enough about that... My thoughts on the chapter itself:

Spoiler for Long:

That’s about it for the good stuff (and make no mistake, it was damn good). But now, since nothing’s perfect, here's a few, mostly minor, complaints:

Spoiler for Long:

Well, that’s it. All in all, a great ending to a great story. I’ve been following this series for over 4 years. It was actually what got me into anime and manga in the first place and has always remained as one of my all-time favorites, so I can’t stress how hard it is to believe and accept the fact that it’s truly and finally over now. It’s gonna be tough reaching the second week of July and remembering there’s no actual new FMA chapter to look forward to this time. Oh well, I guess we still have a month of Brotherhood to fill in the void. Though I do wonder if they’ll be able to do this beautiful finale justice with the episodes they have left. Let’s hope so.
Old 2010-06-13, 17:14   Link #1995
Kirarakim

While I like where Roy's story ended I do agree I was a bit disappointed we didn't see more of him in the epilogue. I am still sort of hoping for a gaiden in the final volume though.

Spoiler:

But for Scar

Spoiler:
Old 2010-06-13, 17:58   Link #1996
Vicious108

Quote:
Spoiler:
True that, but even that was actually Marcoh's decision/idea and not Roy's own, so it did feel more like Marcoh's atonement than Roy's. Now Roy did agree and go through with it so he clearly did atone, but like you said, all we got was that random radio announcement, when actually seeing him do it would've been a lot more effective and moving. He was certainly an important enough character to warrant it.

As for Scar, I do agree that it was actually probably better this way. I wouldn't have complained about it hadn't Arakawa said she would reveal it. But yes she does have the right to change her mind and as I said it was a minor complaint. I mean if she'd promised we would get to see Roy as the Fuhrer or something but then didn't, then yeah I might have been truly annoyed, but eh this is just a bit of trivia. And hell maybe she'll still reveal it in bonus material for the final volume or something, like it was done with L in Death Note.

Regardless, he'll always have it better than his brother, who, poor guy, doesn't even get a nickname of his own and is simply known as "Scar's Brother" as evidenced by episode 61's eyecatch.
Old 2010-06-13, 18:09   Link #1997
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

I actually liked that Scar didn't give his name. It would have been weird if he felt worthy of it again. Who knows? Might be revealed in a new databook

The thing about Roy's end is that even so it is a happy end for him, it's still bittersweet in the prospect that if he truly succeeds (somewhere in the future) - he and the other Ishval survivors might face trial. It's one of the reasons I didn't expect any Royai end to begin with, since they pave their way to their "own destruction" as Ed put it.
That Roy is the one in charge of rebuilding Ishval is very nice, but will it redeem him? To him and/or to justice?
I just get sad thinking that the pathes for a happy life are kind of locked for him. But I do ackowledge him as mass murderer as much as I love the character. Still sad. Specially since I see him more as a guy thrown into all the wrong circumstances instead of being just a simple murderer.

I know, I know, being in charge of the east makes him happy, but that's all temporary when you think about how it might end. And I don't think the chances are that high, that he forgives himself or think he has truly atoned for what he's done - no matter what he achieves reagarding Ishval.
I don't know I would have liked a pointer regarding that issue, since it seemes like a pretty major thing regarding Roy and his followers.

Edit: Endless Twilight bet me to the bonus name reveal~
Old 2010-06-13, 18:40   Link #1998
Kirarakim

I don't know I think if Scar can be pardoned for his crimes (well okay he wasn't exactly pardoned Olivier sort of went around the law) then Roy's work in Ishval shall also in the end pardon him for his crimes. Although I agree that this doesn't mean that Roy (or Riza) will necessarily ever forgive themselves for what happened.
Old 2010-06-13, 19:25   Link #1999
Vicious108

To be honest, I'd actually imagined this little final Roy scene in my mind, where the country would be changed into a democracy by Grumman, who would bring Mustang up to the stage during his inaugural speech and talk about how vital he was to achieving said democracy, perhaps speaking about awarding him some kind of medal of merit, only to bring up his record at Ishval afterwards. There would be an awkward silence and Grumman would hint at him being executed for mass murder or something, but then he would ask for the audience's opinion, who would all salute Roy in spite of his past mistakes because they'd recognize that he'd worked to make up for them harder than anyone else who'd fought in Ishval. Or something like that. Would've been cute IMO. >_>

But anyways, speaking about what we actually got, it was pretty cool that the series ended with Roy and Hughes both holding the same rank, even if the latter was posthumously.
Old 2010-06-13, 19:48   Link #2000
GaimeGuy

endless, I'm surprised you forgot about the 520 cenz promise between Ed and Roy. He's not trying to pave the way for his own destruction, not anymore. Both Scar and Roy realize they have so much more to live for, and there's so much more they can do. It would be a disservice for them to give up now.

And for all intents and purposes, Grumman is a sort of lame duck leader. Roy is the one rebuilding the east, establishing trade and diplomatic relations with foreign nations, and unanexxing lands. It's just like when Roy was stationed in the east earlier in the series. Grumman loves the perks of the high positions and is more than happy to let others deal with the actual responsibilities (even though he's a sharp enough leader in his own right)

Once he retires or dies, roy will be the de facto successor, and at that point, the transition to democracy will be finally completed. Grumman's a transitional fuhrer, as the nation will head down a more peaceful path during his reign, and be ready to complete the transition to democracy shortly after Roy succeeds him.
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote