AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-08, 11:00   Link #441
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
KyoAni, unknown. I don't know whether to laugh, or cry. Instead, I'll give you this.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=29911&page=2

A troll you are, so troll I call you. And it looks like you're behind the times, troll.

And just to rub this into your trollish face,

Kanon (2006) Episode 1, animated by Kyoto Animation

AIR (TV) Episode 1, animated by Kyoto Animation

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Episode 2, animated by Kyoto Animation

That is all. Ascaloth, out.
I've watched them three, thank you. And I wasn't talking about KyoAni being unknown but their animation directors. My sakuga definition is probably different to the one you're talking about, wao herself mentioned the ambiguity of the term and I'm going by Catsuka's videos definition.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:01   Link #442
Unearthly

Yeah, I'll admit this wasn't quite what I was expecting. Although I might have missed some of the jokes, there are just some parts, like...
Spoiler for Is there anything even to spoil?:

But it was still worth watching. Definately better than some of the other shows I've watched so far (Touka Gettan?). At the least I'll be checking out the next eps as they come out.
Unearthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:01   Link #443
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
That's not entirely true but not false for that matter. The term is probably really ambiguous as it is, my definition is probably more ad-hoc to the second one wao mentioned, as it is less about consistency, in fact I believe that in a way it limit the in individual animators, which doesn't matters to me at all and more about the movement-style itself.
And of course, the troll knows he can't beat me in a straight-out debate, so he chooses to ignore me altogether. Just like the ones before.

And even so, his words are false where KyoAni is concerned; those of us who are more familiar with KyoAni's previous works can see that for ourselves.

In other words, I've done my job, so now I'm going to bed. Oyasumi, minna-wa.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:04   Link #444
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
I've watched them three, thank you. And I wasn't talking about KyoAni being unknown but their animation directors. My sakuga definition is probably different to the one you're talking about, wao herself mentioned the ambiguity of the term and I'm going by Catsuka's videos definition.
Quote:
This:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yhGTCiBg9mk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_g3UVuJ7GpY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QAcW_Xh6XQs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GELrsEZ5Ij0

And KyoAni isn't sakuga, can you anime a single sakkan behind their works? They're unknown because all they do is insert a number of inbetween frames that still don't show anything behind them but an uninspired motion. But I guess that in this forum, I'm the only one to think this, so I'll stop this silly debate now and let you keep calling Lucky Star as sakuga as you want to.
So, you're going with one definition. And, what you're basically saying that whoever doesn't follow your view of what the term 'sakuga' is, is absolutely wrong.

"Are you then too a tyrant, whose wishes override the opinions of the majority?" ~ Sheeana, Hunters of Dune

In other words, that still makes you a troll. That is all.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:05   Link #445
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Hmmm. Definitely potential there in this show, it's just being wasted somewhat. I look forward to more of it.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:06   Link #446
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
WTF the song is so fast i cant understand it. is there reallly haruhi season 2 ?
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:09   Link #447
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
That's not entirely true but not false for that matter. The term is probably really ambiguous as it is, my definition is probably more ad-hoc to the second one wao mentioned, as it is less about consistency, in fact I believe that in a way it limit the in individual animators, which doesn't matters to me at all and more about the movement-style itself.
Hmm... but KyoAni is quite well-famed for their movement-style too. Maybe not to the extent of Gainax's famous fluidity (now showcased in Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann), but they are notable for scenes such as their fights in "Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid", the concert in "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu", the... "alive(?)" background in "Air(TV)", the break-neck motion in "Fumoffu!", the snow in "Kanon(2006)", etc...

The thing is, KyoAni is fully capable of making their anime "come alive". The way they animate it, it doesn't seem like "static frames" for lack of a better wording.

Maybe you don't share this opinion, and indeed, everybody's mileage will vary; so I will have to disagree with you on this one.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-08, 11:10   Link #448
Cogwheim
Former Immortal, Future:

Send a message via AIM to Cogwheim
Calm down, prospective fanboys. This is a 4-koma, animated. KyoAni didn't add in continuity between the stories, nor did they have very many crazy references and gags a la shows like Pani Poni Dash!, Azumanga Daiou, or even Negima?!. It wasn't that funny, nor that entertaining and attention-grabbing in general. Don't let the OP alone persuade you.

(Pretend that was handwritten in an ornate, cursive fashion, perhaps using a fountain pen. So there you have it. My signature.)
Cogwheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:16   Link #449
7Th
Mixtape

Which is why I said, simply keep calling KyoAni's creations sakuga, I just don't agree with that view and became an idiot in trying to make my point of view come across . I still don't really dislike the studio's visual style, Kanon and Air may be really plastic but Haruhi was consistent and the animation didn't betrayed anything at all as did TSR, I guess that's enough. Most of my complains come from people calling KyoAni the gods or being on a whole different level, something I accept people believing but not claiming as truth.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:21   Link #450
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Ascaloth is on the rampage again. At least his post length is decreasing now.

Back away from the keyboard. Take a deep breath and count to '10'.
Old 2007-04-08, 11:27   Link #451
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Have some more caps.

I really have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. Wasn't a fan of the comics, and the show added pretty much little to no energy (or even a sense of delivery) to the jokes... so... draw your own conclusions.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:30   Link #452
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Preliminary Thoughts on Ep01:
---- ----
Spoiler for nothing to spoil really, this is a 4Koma adaptation after all:

More thoughts when the fansubs come out.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-08, 11:33   Link #453
musouka

Unimpressive. Then again, I rarely like 4koma shows and I wasn't a fan of the source material to begin with. Why anyone thought KyoAni would make a difference, I'm not really sure...
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:34   Link #454
bayoab

I am going to join Mentar and Omni in the "Meh, it wasn't that funny" crowd. Most of the funny stuff was short while the sketches were then drawn out and got rather boring. That first sketch was stretched out to painful lengths. (Note: I watched it with flying subtitles and the japanese weren't finding that one funny either.)

Edit: The op animation is still pretty awesome even without any super backgrounds.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:37   Link #455
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Preliminary Thoughts on Ep01:
---- ----
Spoiler for nothing to spoil really, this is a 4Koma adaptation after all:

More thoughts when the fansubs come out.

Cheers.
I guess it is something to be expected from an in-between project (I meant as a one between two big projects like the two Key games adaptations).
Old 2007-04-08, 11:41   Link #456
Kensuke

Well, the opening owned, that is clear. But such dialogue heavy series, with little or no action I must wait for fansubs before making any judgements...

I knew from pictures that the animation will be very simplified (counting on that CLANNAD will feature their suberb animation again), so nothing to complaint.

*starts waiting for subs*
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:47   Link #457
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I guess it is something to be expected from an in-between project (I meant as a one between two big projects like the two Key games adaptations).
Take your keyfandom and get off the non-existant high horse. I am decently sure that every project is "big" to them since they put this much work into each one and only do one at a time. (I will subnote this too with that their next key project is considered minor outside of keyfans.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:56   Link #458
Asrialys

"Big" or not, if they're gonna do something, might as well make it look good, right?
Old 2007-04-08, 12:01   Link #459
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I enjoyed the show a lot, even though the dialogue-heavy nature of the humor meant that I missed part of it. It gave me a good feeling, and the half-hour seemed to fly by for me. I was impressed by all the voices, especially Endou Aya with the Gotou Yuuko voice as Miyuki (glasses). And I thought Hirano Aya nailed a voice for Konata and did some great things, including the rich slurping eating early in the show.

I loved the animation, particularly the hands. Less detail than Kanon, sure. But they did some darn good things. And some of the movements in the OP just gave me chills. Why shouldn't Yamamoto Yutaka do another version of something that worked so well? This one may be even better.

But I think AS and 2channel are proving Skane's point that some people will be surprised that this does not look like the KyoAni they know and love. Opinion seems to be running heavily negative over there, mainly because of the simple animation/backgrounds and because it isn't funny enough for their taste. I agree with one positive poster there who said that if you don't like this kind of humor in the comic, you won't like it in the show. I should correct that a bit: I like it better in the anime than I have so far in the comic. The voices bring it life.

And because it's so true, I will repeat that "sense of humor" is a slippery thing. The things I find hilarious others might not enjoy at all, and vice-versa. But this show is not hilarious, more like continuously amusing. It's not just gag humor, but atmosphere humor.

I would rephrase one of Skane's points. I don't see this as KyoAni taking a break, more like trying to produce something that requires fewer staff so as to make more money on it and have staff left to get to work on other shows, while still maintaining quality. Seems like an honorable goal to me. And they seem to be achieving the quality part, as I see it.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-12 at 02:06.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:04   Link #460
musouka

Humor is a sketchy thing. But I've always thought it was kind of silly the amount of hype this show was getting, not because of the source material, but because of who was animating it. Well, it's based on 4koma so I wasn't expecting anything ground breaking animation-wise...
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen