AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-12, 02:54   Link #1
fma029812

Just need a good anime! Help appreciated.

Hello there! I am new here, but have been lurking and trying to find new animes to watch these past few days. I am in a bit of a rut, I just can't seem to find an anime that interests me lately. One that has great character development and balances a serious plot with comedy as well. I love animes that take you into another world or time period (past or future) but for some reason however, animes taking place in the past tend to captivate me the most. My recent favorites have been:

Gosick (The music in this was great, the over-all feel of it is exactly what I am looking for in my next anime. Mystery, slight romance, other worldly gothic feel, and its elegance.)
Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler, pretty much had everything like Gosick did)
Fullmetal Alchemist, both series
Ghost Hunt (Although I felt this series lacked in character development slightly, I still enjoyed it!)
D. Grey-Man (I am not usually a fan of this genre, but I thought this series had a nice realistic element to it most shounens I have seen don't)
Eden of the East
Haibane Renmei
The Last Exile
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Wolf's Rain
Baccano!
Durarara!
Fruits Basket
Chobits
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Welcome to the NHK!
Hetalia
Death Note
Toradora (I liked this one, but was slightly anoyed by the end. Although it was a good anime... it made me realize that I am not a huge fan of romantic slice of life type animes. There was no underlying theme outside of pure relationship. I liked other romantic animes like Fruits Baskets and Chobits because while at first they seemed like ordinary romatic comedies, something larger was at work in the animes that by the end made me just want more and more.)

So, I hope this is not too specific, and I am aware that there may not be another anime like the ones I have already watched. But I can't shake the feeling that there are other animes out there that I need to explore! Thank you all!

Last edited by fma029812; 2011-12-12 at 14:21.
Old 2011-12-12, 02:57   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Based on your list, I think you'd really like Pandora Hearts.
Old 2011-12-12, 03:13   Link #3
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Spice and Wolf is a must see, if you have not already, based on your list. It's a unique balance of economics and romance set in the past, but any description fails to give justice to how much fun it is. If you liked Gosick, you'll like S&W.
Old 2011-12-12, 08:44   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you watched Utawarerumono? It is both fantasy and Sci-fi. The setting is in the medieval-Ainu-Japanese. It has romance, good character development, good story, good action, overall epic.

There are others like: Kekkaishi, Seirei no Moribito, Angel Beats, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann,etc.
In those animes, there are something larger at work in the world of the characters just like what you want.

If you like medieval or fake-medieval settings, there are animes like:
Scrapped Princess
Tales of Symphonia (a rather old Tales series)
Tales of the Abyss (the recent Tales series)
.Hack/ series (all anime with .Hack/ in the beginning of the title)
Tower of Druaga
etc

Sorry if you've already watched them.
Old 2011-12-12, 09:07   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Might I suggest Ikoku Meiro no Croisée? It's set in late 19th century Paris and concerns a young Japanese girl who comes to France to work in an ironmonger's shop. It's a very sweet slice-of-story about the clash of cultures.

If you want to see a remarkable, but still incomplete, historical drama, I strongly recommend following Hyouge Mono, which portrays the "warring states" period that preceded the unification of Japan under the Tokugawa. It'll be a long time before the subs are complete, but patience has its rewards.

Since you list Twelve Kingdoms, I'll also suggest Moribito and throw in the now hard-to-find Saiunkoku Monogatari. These two also take place in fictitious Asian empires.

A totally off-beat show set in 1843-44 Japan is Oh! Edo Rocket. There are actual historical personages scattered throughout.
Old 2011-12-12, 11:18   Link #6
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fma029812 View Post
Hello there! I am new here, but have been lurking and trying to find new animes to watch these past few days. I am in a bit of a rut, I just can't seem to find an anime that interests me lately. One that has great character development and balances a serious plot with comedy as well. I love animes that take you into another world or time period (past or future) but for some reason however, animes taking place in the past tend to captivate me the most. My recent favorites have been:
Hope any of the following helps. I'll only make suggestions based off titles/reasons you listed.

Quote:
Haibane Renmei
Check out Serial Experiments Lain, it's the other title Abe did 5 years before Haibane Renmei.

Quote:
Last Exile
Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing is currently airing.

Quote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
If you like KyoAni's style, try Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu and Clannad.

Quote:
Wolf's Rain
Try Mushishi and Natsume Yujinchou for rustic/mystic content with bishies.

Quote:
Fruits Basket & Chobits
Try Lovely Complex and Kimi ni Todoke for romantic comedies with a lot more depth than the norm.

Quote:
Spirited Away & Princess Mononoke
If you want recent Ghibli, try Arriety. Old school Ghibli, try Kiki's Delivery Service. You said you wanted deeper romance - you sound like you'd like Makoto Shinkai's works. Voices of a Distant Star, Beyond the Clouds - The Promised Place and 5 Centimetres Per Second - somewhat more melacholic but still beautiful. Other director in recent times in that Ghibli-like style is Mamoru Hosoda, particularly in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

If you're looking for TV series that have that mystic vibe in a light-hearted way, try Kamichu!, but if you want a deeper, more complex one try Asatte no Houkou.

Quote:
Welcome to the NHK!
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai is currently airing.
Old 2011-12-12, 13:01   Link #7
fma029812

Wow thanks guys, I am looking forward to trying all of these!
Old 2011-12-13, 09:02   Link #8
kitten320

Going by your list, here are possible suggestions:
Gosick = Dantalian no Shoka, series are VERY similar. It will be hard not to compare. Though for me presonally Dantalian lacked quiet a lot, I didn't finish it. However, it did have some good parts so it might get your attention.

Fullmetal Alchemist = how about Soul Eater? It is based in fantasy world, has some nice character development and action. It is like FMA 1 because it has original anime ending, manga is still in progress.

Ghost Hunt = I really liked Ghost Hunt, one of my faves and the closest to it I know is Shinrei Tantei Yakumo. In comparison to Ghost Hunt it has good character development but not such as strong story though.
You could also try Shiki since it is from the same creator as Ghost Hunt.
Since you seem to like mystery, how about Monster?It is based nowadays but it has some nice character development and story.

D. Grey-Man = Ao no Exorcist since both are dealing with exorcism.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya = hated this series, except the movie. But I think you could try Angel Beats because main heroines look a like. Angel Beats has a nice story and everything takes place is heaven.

Death Note = Code Geass because both main heroes are antogoists.
Aoi Bungaku series are set of small dark stories. The main character in first story reminds of Light when it comes to looks.

As bonuses you can try the following:
Berserk are great series based during knight period. A lot of action and strategic thinking going on.

Claymore is based in knight period too but is different. It is about organization which is producing female warriors who are killing man eating monsters. Some interesting characters there. Though it has anime original ending.

Fate/Stay Night are good action series which take part in our world but the main warriors come from legends and myths. It's prequel Fate/Zero which is airing right now is much better though. But if you watch prequel first, it will kind off kill all the enjoyment from this original series.

Inuyasha are action series in old fashioned/mystical world. ome really nice character development happening there.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is nowadays based action with guns but it has a deep story and some nice character development.

Sword of the stranger is a movie based in samurai era. Not so strong character development wise but has some great action and soundtracks.

Tales of the Abyss are series based in ancient/mystical world where a lot of things are happening and quiet a lot of character development too. Especially with main character.