AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-22, 20:47   Link #1361
Justin_Brett

Hopefully Haruto actually beats him instead of Tokisada letting him pass. They've only really done that with two of them so far.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 04:44   Link #1362
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Another episode which seems to play much homage to the original Ikki vs Shaka battle, though I think Eden got a stronger characterisation here due to his connection with Mars and Aria thus giving his motivation to fight a more powerful and understandable reason.

The Aquarius curse/demon seems a bit weird, let's hope they have a better explanation in line. I'm still secretly rooting for Hyoga to recover from his cosmic cancer and become the Aquarius gold saint after Mars' defeat.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 07:03   Link #1363
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Another episode which seems to play much homage to the original Ikki vs Shaka battle, though I think Eden got a stronger characterisation here due to his connection with Mars and Aria thus giving his motivation to fight a more powerful and understandable reason.

The Aquarius curse/demon seems a bit weird, let's hope they have a better explanation in line. I'm still secretly rooting for Hyoga to recover from his cosmic cancer and become the Aquarius gold saint after Mars' defeat.
Maybe secretly the cloth belonged to Hyoga but for some reason Mars was able to corrupt the cloth thus allowing someone else to wear it. But at the same time because it was corrupted it got a mind of its own.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 11:10   Link #1364
farios

Spoiler for 38:

Two Gold Saint remaining but honestly i never cared anthing about Pisces and Scorpio so i won't be expecting much
Old 2012-12-23, 11:36   Link #1365
Justin_Brett

That was probably another aspect of the guy Fudou was a reincarnation of.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 11:40   Link #1366
farios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
That was probably another aspect of the guy Fudou was a reincarnation of.
I don't know anything about Buddha deities so i can't comment on that but that still doesn't justify them for throwing the epic angry face with this stupid face, besides the director has the chance to introduce it in a much better way but rather they execute it in such a lame way and ends up dissapointing for me
Old 2012-12-23, 12:28   Link #1367
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by farios View Post
I don't know anything about Buddha deities so i can't comment on that but that still doesn't justify them for throwing the epic angry face with this stupid face
Actually if you don't know anything about Buddism then you aren't in a position to say whether they made the right call to throw out the angry face with this one. Anger in Buddism is usually considered a bad because it is an emotional response, the enlightened person (thus closer to Buddha, which is what all followers of Buddism is supposed to aim for) is supposed to be above showing such emotions, so roughly speaking a calm face being placed above an angry face if you are to rank it in terms of "power level" is totally in line with Buddism. Also to rid people of earthly desire and purifying them from being attached to the material world, thus the very reason which causes conflict, is considered a much higher form of action than resorting to violence - not to mention with Buddism there is reincarnation, so just killing someone is not the solution at all as that person will just reincarnate again with all his sins (until he becomes enlightened), thus enlightening the person and showing him the truth is the ultimate "attack" method so to speak. You could even argue that for the Bronze Saints if you strip away their anger towards Mars and determination to fight they are as good as dead, so based on the mythology that Fudou is supposedly drawing from, this is clearly in line with Buddism thinking. You could even say that in the previous series Shaka's ultimate attack Tenbuhourin which stripes all the senses from his opponents aims to achieve the same thing - because in the end he doesn't actually kill the opponent either but "merely" stripes his opponents earthly senses, again parallels could be drawn to Buddism way of thinking.

The only way you could argue is that visually the calm face doesn't have the impact of the angry face, or that his enlightenment attack doesn't show enough of an impact on the saints (but they did try, everyone except Kouga and Eden completely lost the will to continue fighting in an instant, Fudou would have "won" so to speak), but saying they made the wrong choice without knowing anything about the mythology it is based upon is clearly wrong on your part.
Old 2012-12-23, 12:50   Link #1368
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I agree with Houkoholic here. What was displayed in this episode is still true to the Buddhism element of the character (or in this case, Acala). But I also think that the technique he uses isn't that “badass” (even less than Tenbuhourin).
Old 2012-12-23, 13:04   Link #1369
Kazu-kun

My only question after watched episode 38 is, what's the point of an Aquarius Saint who doesn't do ice-based attacks?

This show's sucking so bad it's not even funny.
Old 2012-12-23, 13:17   Link #1370
farios

It's not that i think they shouldn't put that calm face, it's just that if they're gonna use it they should use it better, okay maybe i should research more before i complain but still Fudou doesn't even show his angry face when he attacks Eden despite using the same attack and its doesn't make any sense
Old 2012-12-23, 15:11   Link #1371
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
My only question after watched episode 38 is, what's the point of an Aquarius Saint who doesn't do ice-based attacks?

Tokisada did freeze the stairs when he used that water fist on Koga, tough.

Well, technically he freezes time too.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 18:18   Link #1372
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Aquarius is actually related with water not ice.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 22:10   Link #1373
Miraluka
Banned

Found this:

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 00:13   Link #1374
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I agree with Houkoholic here. What was displayed in this episode is still true to the Buddhism element of the character (or in this case, Acala). But I also think that the technique he uses isn't that “badass” (even less than Tenbuhourin).
Quote:
Originally Posted by farios View Post
It's not that i think they shouldn't put that calm face, it's just that if they're gonna use it they should use it better, okay maybe i should research more before i complain but still Fudou doesn't even show his angry face when he attacks Eden despite using the same attack and its doesn't make any sense
I completely agree the lack of visual impact is a let down on the part of the "enlightenment" attack, they rushed the attack too much here. It's especially bad when it's kind of cliche in fighting shows when an enemy uses some form of illusion attack to trap the protagonist in a "comfort zone" which they could draw inspiration from but they just spent like 5 seconds on it with everyone except Eden and Kouga being "purified" delivered by mere lines.

On the same topic you could also see that in Saint Seiya that the central theme is "strength from determination", thus taking away that determination means winning, and sure enough you have more than your fair share of saints who aims to do just such things - Harbinger enjoys breaking his opponents' will via pure brute force, Paradox gives her opponent fake peace and love via illusion etc. Fudou's purification is thus an even higher extension of that way of thinking (if the bronze saints are able to with standard Harbinger's brute force, then pure strength to make them submit shouldn't work again), and the bronze saints being able to overcome these obstacles thus gain higher strength via even more determination is just the staple of the series.
Old 2012-12-24, 01:03   Link #1375
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

Then, I have to ask you: what is the point of an Aquarius Saint who does ice-based attacks?

It’s true that Omega has a lot of weaknesses, but what you’re complaining is certainly not one of them. Why the Aquarius Saint must have ice technique? Like amaterasu4 said, if we want to get technical, Aquarius is closely related to water, not ice. So, in terms of “element related-ness”, the ice technique of Aquarius Saint is already strange to begin with.
Old 2012-12-24, 01:15   Link #1376
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

I thought that the Aquarius saint being able to control time is quite clever. Anicent people often associate flow of water to the flow of time, also with the sign of Aquarius also often being associated with change of a generation and revolution, the meaning is quite deep and appropriate.

Ice and water association is just superficial, not to mention that Kuramada originally didn't even thought to have the Aquarius saint to be an ice user to begin with (Hyoga's sensei was originally planned to be Scorpio).
Old 2012-12-24, 04:38   Link #1377
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ah, good insight, houko. I never knew that Aquarius is also associated with changing generation and revolution. I guess I should take a look at some more references .
Old 2012-12-24, 06:20   Link #1378
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Ah, good insight, houko. I never knew that Aquarius is also associated with changing generation and revolution. I guess I should take a look at some more references .
Never heard the expression "Age of Aquarius"?

Anyway, Medea said the Aquarius' cloth has a "difficult ego". What? I can understand the cloth not accepting Tokisada, but ordering him to kill? I hope there's a clever explanation for its odd behavior, other than Medea just cursed it or something obvious like that.
One thing i'm kinda disappointed is that after Paradox, we didn't get any other Gold Saint connected to the legendary Bronze Saints...it's a great chance to use Hyoga here. I mean, shouldn't he be protecting the Aquarius cloth like Shiryu has done with Libra?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 06:31   Link #1379
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
Never heard the expression "Age of Aquarius"?
Unfortunately no. Never heard of it until now. In addition, I'm not really a zodiac or Astrology enthusiast, so I don't read about it much.
Old 2012-12-24, 07:59   Link #1380
ShiroiRyu

I just think Medea want to manipulate Tokisada.
Last time she thought they had a good Gold Saint with them, it's what Mycanae. XD

Tags
action, shounen