Old 2010-07-18, 03:55   Link #181
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I am so never going to Okinawa...

Spoiler for ep2:
Well, I haven't actually watched the second episode without any subs out yet, but from your discussion it seems that they're already done with the Sadena story for the first volume. I wasn't expecting it to go that fast (hope it won't be as fast as a certain other LN adaptation last season) as in the manga, it took until at least half of the second volume until they're finished with the assault on Sadena. I thought the first story will end in three episodes, with the second episodes end when they begin their assault. Guess I was wrong...oh, and the first manga ends with the cliffhanger when Nanami and J.A.C.K shot and captured. Ah well, if there's any good news is that I'll be able to join the theorizing and speculation earlier than I thought.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 04:00   Link #182
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
You sure know how to make me want to watch the episode with your screenshots. Can't wait to watch it
Are you kidding me......I want to see this again from 2 different subbers (preferably one in English and other in French). Well screen shots were only to point out the moods I had during the episode's different parts but it looked so crammed up....damn maybe I should read the manga now. Wonder if I should
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Well, I haven't actually watched the second episode without any subs out yet, but from your discussion it seems that they're already done with the Sadena story for the first volume. I wasn't expecting it to go that fast (hope it won't be as fast as a certain other LN adaptation last season) as in the manga, it took until at least half of the second volume until they're finished with the assault on Sadena. I thought the first story will end in three episodes, with the second episodes end when they begin their assault. Guess I was wrong...oh, and the first manga ends with the cliffhanger when Nanami and J.A.C.K shot and captured. Ah well, if there's any good news is that I'll be able to join the theorizing and speculation earlier than I thought.
Interesting pointing out towards a) there might be more fillers that were not in the manga or b) anime only ending? Is the ecchi better in the manga BTW?
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 05:15   Link #183
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
Interesting pointing out towards a) there might be more fillers that were not in the manga or b) anime only ending? Is the ecchi better in the manga BTW?
a) It depends on how you define fillers. Considering that there are 14 novels already, there is little need for anime original materials (the manga is merely an adaptation btw). But if you mean daily comical / school life / beach stuff that doesn't advance the plot, yes there is.

Of course if the production crew is hardcore enough, they can make the whole season like Hollywood action flicks. There are certainly enough actions, conspiracies, international diplomacies and power struggles between different factions on earth and outside earth. I fail to see why they would do so though.

b) Anime-only ending... As the novels are still ongoing the ending will never be an authentic one. The crew may shuffle the order of the events a bit, and pick one of the major events to end the series. Or they may try the Elfen Lied way with an original but ambiguous ending.

Not exactly related, but the author is a gun mania + military otaku and some of his previous works are extremely dark and twisted. Asoiku however is in general on a more light hearted tone. You may occasionally see references to soviet stuff, military vehicles and international politics, but nothing will be major.

Cool wallpaper btw (by the mangaka of "Dance in the Vampire Bund"):
Old 2010-07-18, 05:27   Link #184
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Episode 2 Comments...

Well that was anti climatic, I didn't expect them wrap up this little conflict so quickly. I felt like I just watched a OVA and not a Tv series anime.

By the way, Futaba has a very nice car.
Old 2010-07-18, 08:16   Link #185
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Ep2 was crazy fun. Leave logic at the door.

After watching it, I understand why you said that.

I was throughout the entire episode. Well, off to rewatch it with that new mindset.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 08:35   Link #186
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Okay, so let's recap...

The UFO cult was so incompetent that they were played for comedy. The world's governments were ALREADY under the control of a dangerous alien race, and they completely missed it. What's the point of being a UFO cult if you can't tell that Aliens are already here? Together with the fact that they are physically incapable of harming Eris, it was made that they were forgiven by being turned into grunts.

The uncle is "somebody", that's for sure.

Momiji was given the choice of her duty or her man. She chose her man, and has effectively sacrificed the most of her life for him out of all the characters. Luckily at least, she can be given some protection by the Catia people now that she is an outlaw who wasn't suppose to exist.

The spy girl, in the end, do admit to wrongdoing. She sold him out for a promotion. But I can't get too mad at her because she did apologise and told him where Eris is kept. And of course, Momiji dragged her into joining the rescue mission. It seems Manami had no idea how easy it was for people to recognise her. She should have at least changed clothes and the watch.
Funny that the guy knows Manami wanted to be a government agent. He just doesn't know WHICH country she was wanting to work for.

It seems the reason America wanted Eris dead was because the Defence Intelligence Agency has been infiltrated by dog aliens. So this has become an intergalactic incident. And of course, the Japanese government must be infiltrated too, that's why Momiji got the kill order to begin with. The terrorists wannabes are just a bunch of clowns by comparison.

As expected, Eris is heavily armoured and seriously armed, fitting for a space-faring civilisation. It's just that the design aesthetics of her equipment are all on the cute side, so you don't know how screwed you are until you are already naked.
Old 2010-07-18, 08:59   Link #187
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Okay, so let's recap...

The UFO cult was so incompetent that they were played for comedy. The world's governments were ALREADY under the control of a dangerous alien race, and they completely missed it. What's the point of being a UFO cult if you can't tell that Aliens are already here? Together with the fact that they are physically incapable of harming Eris, it was made that they were forgiven by being turned into grunts.

The uncle is "somebody", that's for sure.

Momiji was given the choice of her duty or her man. She chose her man, and has effectively sacrificed the most of her life for him out of all the characters. Luckily at least, she can be given some protection by the Catia people now that she is an outlaw who wasn't suppose to exist.

The spy girl, in the end, do admit to wrongdoing. She sold him out for a promotion. But I can't get too mad at her because she did apologise and told him where Eris is kept. And of course, Momiji dragged her into joining the rescue mission. It seems Manami had no idea how easy it was for people to recognise her. She should have at least changed clothes and the watch.
Funny that the guy knows Manami wanted to be a government agent. He just doesn't know WHICH country she was wanting to work for.

It seems the reason America wanted Eris dead was because the Defence Intelligence Agency has been infiltrated by dog aliens. So this has become an intergalactic incident. And of course, the Japanese government must be infiltrated too, that's why Momiji got the kill order to begin with. The terrorists wannabes are just a bunch of clowns by comparison.

As expected, Eris is heavily armoured and seriously armed, fitting for a space-faring civilisation. It's just that the design aesthetics of her equipment are all on the cute side, so you don't know how screwed you are until you are already naked.
lol all in all I think the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" about sums up this series so far

I really quite the like the little robots, after watching it again I find they amuse me quite alot, especially seeing how one of them is an odd one out

I love Aoi with her hair up plus with glasses, it's just

same goes for the teacher.
Old 2010-07-18, 11:31   Link #188
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

One thing about Kyo; he doesn't panic easily.

Some might accuse him of being a "boring main lead", but I don't think so. He has adopted to the brave new world very quickly. This includes the realisation that his neighbour had betrayed him, but also had the heart to forgive her. At least, he seemed to have forgiven her.

Note that when he ranged Manami up asking about Eris, he gave her a chance to come clean. There was also a chance she was there at the kidnapping for an unrelated reason. So he started off by giving her the chance to explain herself. He only forced the issue when she lied, quit unconvincingly, but even then he was not mad. Kyo is the kind of guy who would keep a cool head in a crisis.

p.s. I note that there are some cost-cutting this episode. Like when most of Manami's guns on the shelf vanished, or that only one tank crew was drawn when there should be far more of them. Hopefully the DVD would fix that.
Old 2010-07-18, 12:01   Link #189
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ I agree about Kyo, the guy isn't prone to overreactions - there were a number of times when i expected him to go "eeeeeeeeh ?" with a boggled-out expression, and was rather pleasantly surprised he didn't. A pretty sensible and level headed guy overall, and looks reliable because he gives the impression he generally knows what he is doing, rather than just somehow making stuff work out.

The episode moved at a pretty fast pace (much like the first one), but i find that to be a good thing overall - keeps the attention going and plenty of new stuff to digest along the way. As expected, Eris is far from defenseless, she just doesn't look the part - doesn't mean she can't kick your behind if it comes down to it. Disintegration of all inorganic matter anyone ? Quite fit physically as well seeing she was dodging Momiji's attacks and leaping through the air to get to the tanks, though i suppose physical grace is to be expected of a feline species.

And when i was thinking things would lay low for a while at the end of the episode, we have the mothership landing - should be considerably harder to get rid of that one without public attention ... I wonder if the beautiful contact fanatics will commit a mass suicide over this

So with the mothership parked nearby and the introduction of dog-people as the antagonists, looks like we are ready to have the intergalactic conspiracies continue. Will be interesting to see where the story goes from here, as after 2 episodes i am quite convinced that, baring any major shifts in storytelling, this will turn out as one of my favorites from the season.

On another note - mating season coming up ... Kyo is in for some dangerous time, and Eris for some competition it seems. Let the fun begin
Old 2010-07-18, 12:16   Link #190
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I wonder, what exactly does it mean when the narration in ep 2 sad that "everything went back to normal"?

Was Momiji forgiven for her insubordination and is back at her old job, because they decided the entire incident is stricken from the record so technically she didn't do anything wrong? Or is she now just a normal schoolgirl?
And is Manami no longer a Contact? Could people who read ahead tell me in a spoiler box?

Oh, and I think the First Contact cult probably disbanded by now. If Eris told them the world government already know about Aliens, they would realise they have been played for fools and that it is time to get a new hobby.
Old 2010-07-18, 12:28   Link #191
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I was wondering about Momiji as well, though obviously we can only guess for now. Since we don't know under how strict of a leash she works (which doesn't seem that tight from what we have seen thus far), and given the fact things could have gone very badly on a global scale is she actually had managed to take out Eris, with the mothership arriving and all, maybe it was filed as a case closed under "all is well that ends well". Perhaps they even can't get rid of her, depending on whether her ability to materialize equipment is inherent to her individually and they might not have a ready replacement. Or i could be wrong and she could be demoted to a normal schoolgirl ...we shall see i guess, but my current guess would be that she is simply off the hook.
Old 2010-07-18, 12:44   Link #192
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

(Deleted all. PM instead.)
Old 2010-07-18, 13:31   Link #193
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

I have watched the tank destruction scene again... Isn't it a bit strange that with so many tanks there are only 4 crew members left.

Maybe their tank is exactly the one hit by Eris's hammer. All other soldiers have already become photons as the cute robots can't control the hitting force.

Or maybe it is the side effect of the hammers where organic substances will be compressed and merged. So forty soldiers has become four.
Old 2010-07-18, 13:36   Link #194
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

The cat aliens! They've come for our meat!!
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 13:41   Link #195
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
So those brave soldiers who fought for mankind were transferred to the kitchen of the mother ship . My condolences to them.
Old 2010-07-18, 13:58   Link #196
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
I have watched the tank destruction scene again... Isn't it a bit strange that with so many tanks there are only 4 crew members left.

Maybe their tank is exactly the one hit by Eris's hammer. All other soldiers have already become photons as the cute robots can't control the hitting force.

Or maybe it is the side effect of the hammers where organic substances will be compressed and merged. So forty soldiers has become four.
Despite the likelihood that it was just an animation shortcut, if one thinks about it it is actually justified if she DID vaporise them. They were the ones who used lethal force first. It's just the doing so would have ruined the happy mood the story went for.

Quote:
Technically true, but not the right context.
I love that the cat aliens are not vegetarians. Being a meat lover, I like to see more carnivorous cute girls in anime. It does seem like ALL Eris' favourite dishes that she named are meat and fish, aren't they?
Space travel must suck if there are no meat rations on board.
Old 2010-07-18, 15:16   Link #197
kujoe
from head to heel

I like that Eris is this balanced combination of innocent cuteness and level-headedness, demonstrating that boobs and cat ears don't have to typecast a character.

Kio is also a breath of fresh air himself, sensible and dependable.

It seems that from here on, Kio and his friends will have to protect Eris from different organizations while going on with their little slice of life in the company of cat-eared aliens.... even though Eris hardly needs any protecting from anyone. Inter-dimensional mallets are back in full force.

On another note, Futaba mentions in the episode that she's now on the run from the Japanese government, so is it right to assume that she's affiliated with them?

All in all, a definite keeper. I'm now looking forward to the mating season!
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 15:22   Link #198
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
On another note, Futaba mentions in the episode that she's now on the run from the Japanese government, so is it right to assume that she's affiliated with them?
In ep 1, you actualy see that the sailors of the ship she was on wearing the JSDF Maritime uniform. So it was confirmed there that she is Japan's secret weapon.
Old 2010-07-18, 15:29   Link #199
lightbringer
M9000

Doesn't seem that Eris really needs much in the way of protection though. And I can't quite decide who this anime is meant for, seeing as it has an unsophisticated plot targeted at little kids but plenty of gratuitous fanservice for hardcore otaku. One thing is for sure though, it's not meant to be taken seriously. With that mindset it's a mildly amusing venture.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 15:33   Link #200
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Doesn't seem that Eris really needs much in the way of protection though. And I can't quite decide who this anime is meant for, seeing as it has an unsophisticated plot targeted at little kids but plenty of gratuitous fanservice for hardcore otaku. One thing is for sure though, it's not meant to be taken seriously. With that mindset it's a mildly amusing venture.
Well, you have to realise that this is a light novel series. So it's not for children because there's not enough pictures.

The author is a gun-nut, and traditionally write serious and dark stories. But he must have decided to have a change of pace and intentionally do a light side of life for once. Adults can enjoy a light and fun story too!

Tags
comedy, romance, sci-fi, shounen