AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-29, 11:04   Link #1361
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Gamilus must either have a hard life growing up or they see lots of combat because they have a bunch of officers with scars.
It's possible that dueling is fashionable amongst the Gamilus.

Given how space combat is usually portrayed in Yamato (a penetrating hit is usually totally destructive),I can't imagine many guys surviving to have scars from battle...unless of course ship survivability really IS based around being a named character!
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 19:30   Link #1362
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or Gamilas ships only really blow up good when shot by named characters. The one Gamilas ship the Cometines hit fell out of line on fire, but we didn't see it explode. Means there could be survivors. Most enemies they are fighting appear to have lesser technology than Gamilas (which points to Iscandar being higher tech, or just the human, being desperate, came up with the shock cannons, wave motion shielding and wave motion gun on their own just to counter the Gamilas). The Comet Empire is probably similar technology to Gamilas, or maybe higher in places, but the bulk of their battleships are with Gatlantis. It is also possible they aren't better than the Gamilas, just we never got to see the Gamilas full potental against any other modern Earth ship besides Yamato. But we won't know that for sure until the next series comes out (since that would likely cover the White Comet Empire story).

Judging by the news reel footage, the Earth fleet (a fair number of ships) already had their bow mounted shock cannons as early at 2191 (I hope to see one used at some point). Though to be fair, these Far East UN ships were twenty years old by then. At least as a class design. The increased power of the wave motion engine likely allowed for such a weapon to be turret mounted and to fit the rest of the fleet, they desiged a new larger bow cannon using the new power source. They got a lot more than they bargained for it would seem after what they did to the floating continent on Jupiter.

EDIT:

Ever have one of those anime that you really want to talk about, but no one is talking all that much? Yeah, this seems to be that anime. The one that is selling fairly well, but almost no one is talking about. At least in the English speaking world. Even the Facebook pages don't harbor much for conversation. Just not enough people talking.

I've seen very few blogger reviewing the show. One basically did the first episode, called it old and stopped. Another is catching up slowly, but there is hardly anything else. Probably because it is BD only at the moment (aside from those versions one could find online if one knew were to look). The show isn't on TV, nor Crunchroll or any of those services. At least one blogger was going to wait until it was on TV, but that probably won't be until 2014. I wonder if it be considered "old news" by then, or if the bloggers that don't keep up with the BD will find it new and exciting.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-12-29 at 23:07.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 04:20   Link #1363
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Ever have one of those anime that you really want to talk about, but no one is talking all that much? Yeah, this seems to be that anime. The one that is selling fairly well, but almost no one is talking about. At least in the English speaking world. Even the Facebook pages don't harbor much for conversation. Just not enough people talking.

I've seen very few blogger reviewing the show. One basically did the first episode, called it old and stopped. Another is catching up slowly, but there is hardly anything else. Probably because it is BD only at the moment (aside from those versions one could find online if one knew were to look). The show isn't on TV, nor Crunchroll or any of those services. At least one blogger was going to wait until it was on TV, but that probably won't be until 2014. I wonder if it be considered "old news" by then, or if the bloggers that don't keep up with the BD will find it new and exciting.
Too many people, especially those who are young in the western world, are prone to dismiss anything more than 20 year old as something unworthy of their attention. I just hope that Yamato 2199 franchise has generated sufficient revenues despite the inattention from young western anime fans, to continue production in high quality. If it did, Yamato 2199 will eventually secure its rightful place in history as a notable remake of series of anime history importance.

As for convincing the young ones to watch this series, I might have as good a success as convincing them to read Charles Dickens's Great Expectations . Very likely, many will hear of this series too late for them to let go of their entrenched prejudice. Still, if remaining Yamato 2199 episodes are of high quality in many ways, eventually majority of people, who experienced anime works produced between 2011 to 2013, will recognize it as a great piece of work. Hopefully, long time later, Yamato 2199 will enjoy fame and good reputation in the lore of anime history that would be comparable to the one "Great Expectations" have in the history of English Literature.
Old 2012-12-30, 04:43   Link #1364
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The thing is, I am probably one of the youngest of the original Star Blazers fans, since I saw it when I was three or four while it was running in one of the morning TV cartoon blocks. I did manage to get a few new fans about a decade ago, but I lost contact with them while they were in college. But they were not all that much younger than I am. They will be 30 soon if I recall their ages correctly.
Old 2012-12-30, 05:19   Link #1365
macdawson

My take on the explosions VS. survivability thing is this, much like sound in space, those explosions are more for visual effect than actual damage, large portions of the ships survive, though the ship itself is structurally wrecked, with survivors trapped in those sections by sealled bulkheads or in space suits. If the Gamilas are anything like us, they'll probably search their wreckage looking for survivors. Point in case, in one of the interviews in one of the usual magazines (Great Mechanics DX or Dengeki Hobby), a staff member said that, although we saw the Yukikaze explode at Pluto, what actually exploded was one of the ships drop tanks. That's why, although it seems to be totally destroyed in episode 1, it shows up at Enceladus in almost one piece. Let's face it, those explosions just look cool.

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-12-30 at 05:49.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 12:46   Link #1366
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm fairly young for a Yamato fan, at 27.

This show is fucking boss, and any of those young whippersnappers with the attention span of a goldfish and the memory of a tadpole can go take long walks of short piers. D:<

Marathoned eps 1-10. This was a pretty awesome setup, all things considers. I especially like the retro-modern-futuristic kitbashed touch on the Cosmo Fighters and Cosmo Nova - the cockpit looks like they pulled it from the F-4 Phantom II, but with various modern shit, lol

It's highly entertaining, and I rather like this show. Here's to hoping Melda doesn't buy it in her dogfight with Yamamoto.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 15:44   Link #1367
Optimouse Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
This show is fucking boss, and any of those young whippersnappers with the attention span of a goldfish and the memory of a tadpole can go take long walks of short piers. D:<
I must be getting old, because I've never used the word "Boss" in the same context that Wild Goose just did, lol.

That having been said, I agree with the sentiment

I first watched Star Blazers when I was 6 or 7. It wasn't until years later (when people started posting episodes on Youtube) that I got a chance to watch the original Space Battleship Yamato.

Most of my friends and acquaintances who are fans of the show are of a similar age (mid 30s to mid 40s).
Optimouse Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 20:16   Link #1368
kimpleng
Lurker

In my country, original Yamato never aired on TV or released in mass market. But I know some older people in other forum, probably aged >30 watching it from bootleg VHS. Sadly at the time I'm too young I don't know anything about anime. I remember one user said he really dislike live action version because it is not faithful to the series. He said anime version (original) is much better. This user is one that I admired. When he said good, I believe it is good.

The first time I watching Yamato is anime movie "Yamato Resurrection". This movie even though a bit confusing for first time viewer, spark my interest in Yamato. But I still resisted to watch Yamato because the artwork at its era not compelling to my eyes anymore. Strangely I could stand for SDF Macross and Patlabor maybe because it aired on TV here.

Thanks for AIC, Xebec and committee behind Yamato 2199 project. It has been a long time I'm not watching anime in great enthusiasm. The animation is great. The story is also interesting. Captain Okita is also cool in every situation. I really like Yamato 2199.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 22:30   Link #1369
YF19EX

I'll say it again. This piece of art is a total nostalgia trip in every way. I was in kindergarten when Starblazers was showing and my first real anime I ever watched. From there it has continued on to this day. This recreation is the right blend of the original story, music, with completely updated characters, mecha and visuals. It is practically perfect. I could only wish Macross could me remade like this too!
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 00:08   Link #1370
denshousha

So I'm working out the rank system on Yamato 2199. LMK if there are any mistakes or omissions.

There are at least two "SS" (Shin'eitai) characters. "Reichsführer" (親衛隊長官) Heidom Gimmley and "Hauptsturmführer" (大尉) Paren Nelge. In the original series, Desler threatened Schultz with sending in the Security Squadron, but as far as I know they were never shown before.
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 01:49   Link #1371
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimouse Prime View Post
I must be getting old, because I've never used the word "Boss" in the same context that Wild Goose just did, lol.
"Boss" used in this context is originally from the late 1960s and early 1970s, and I used to use it as a little brat.
Old 2012-12-31, 05:57   Link #1372
enrico7113

does anyone know if it is possible to find translations from japanese of the ships charts from the yamato2199 site
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 10:56   Link #1373
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not at this time. The known translators were focused on the character charts and magazine articles.

The ships are as important to me because I do table top gaming and have been a fan of starships since Star Blazers aired (I might have seen it before I saw Star Trek, but there is no way I saw it before Star Wars).

The only way I've been reading stuff was via the Japanese wiki on 2199 through the Google Translator. It is not where near perfect (and is sometimes downright stupid) but I can muddle through it to at least make some educated guesses on weapons sizes and numbers. The flavor text generally eludes me.
Old 2013-01-01, 02:55   Link #1374
AmericanFairy

I'm also one of those young people who never watched Star Blazers or the original Space Battleship Yamato. Those were a little before my time. However, I was looking for some good sci-fi/mecha and I came across this title. And yet, I ran into a huge snag when it came to viewing it as it has been difficult to find subtitled episodes online. I finally found some, but the result is that I'm severely behind the rest of you guys. My fault for attempting to wait for it to air on TV and not be proactive about watching it.

I worry that they way that the show is being presented (as OVAs instead of a regular TV series) might actually be hurting it's chances with western audiences instead of helping it. I second Ithekro's concern about Yamato 2199 becoming "old news" by the time it hits TV. There's a very real possibility that western audiences will have moved on and found something else to watch.

Well, I plan on playing catch-up as much as I can. Ten episodes already? Man oh man, I've got my work cut out for me don't I?
AmericanFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 03:34   Link #1375
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
I worry that they way that the show is being presented (as OVAs instead of a regular TV series) might actually be hurting it's chances with western audiences instead of helping it. I second Ithekro's concern about Yamato 2199 becoming "old news" by the time it hits TV. There's a very real possibility that western audiences will have moved on and found something else to watch.
Well, from what I can glean, the revenue model for Yamato 2199 was to rely on mature Asian audience who is earning their disposable income to buy the movie tickets , bd/dvd, and whatever other things they are selling, so lack of young western audience was probably anticipated. Still it is such a good series to miss. I just hope that Yamato 2199 becomes enough of commercial success to stay around long enough for some of the Western youngsters to repent and pay homage to it.
Old 2013-01-01, 04:17   Link #1376
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well you won't have to worry about more than ten episodes until the last week of February. By then it the next four episodes will be out on BD/DVD.
Old 2013-01-01, 06:37   Link #1377
macdawson

Hope this isn't considered off topic but i have a question for those who may have already built the UNCN Fleet Set 1 models. I was never very good at applying water decals but the ships really need their markings so i would apreciate any advice on how to apply them.
Old 2013-01-01, 10:10   Link #1378
potchip

need: tweezer
soak in warm water, when decal moves off the backing sheet, use the tweezer to position the decal on where it needs to go (you can for example, position the decal together with the backing paper right on the spot, then use the tweezer to hold decal whilst removing the backing paper below.)

Once positioned, absorb excess water with cotton bud (I tend to use a semi-wet one to avoid accidental stickiness)

Q: Ep3 seems to suggest Gamillions live in a particular type of atmospheric composition. But ep10s enemy pilot seems to be able to survive in human air just fine without any equipment? So the terra forming is just an optional extra?
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 11:31   Link #1379
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
soak in warm water, when decal moves off the backing sheet, use the tweezer to position the decal on where it needs to go (you can for example, position the decal together with the backing paper right on the spot, then use the tweezer to hold decal whilst removing the backing paper below.)

Once positioned, absorb excess water with cotton bud (I tend to use a semi-wet one to avoid accidental stickiness)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
Q: Ep3 seems to suggest Gamillions live in a particular type of atmospheric composition. But ep10s enemy pilot seems to be able to survive in human air just fine without any equipment? So the terra forming is just an optional extra?
Gamilasforming is the term there. If you're refering to the scene in episode 3 where Analyzer analizes XD the floating continent atmosphere, most of the data he gives is actually Jupiter's atmosphere. As you may notice, although they bend it a bit, the atmosphere in those scenes is either liquid or dense gas, the continent is actually "submerged" in it. Notice the dragg the Gamilas (Garmillas?) ships produce.

As for the purpose of Gamilasforming, they might breathe a close enough mix of gases to our own to allow them to survive in it without aid. Remember, we've seen Gamilas, Zalts and Jirell people in the same environment. Guessing the Gamilas go after people with similar requirements as having specific conditions for every race they conquer wouldn't be very efficient. The plants in the continent and Earth may serve to spread certain elements required by them for other needs than breathing, food for example.

Though in the original Dessler could breath in the toxic radioactive cloud he spread in the Yamato. Maybe their pulmonary systems are more versatile than ours. Maybe Dr. Sado's examination of Melda will shed some light on all this. When we get the subtitles, that is.
Old 2013-01-01, 11:37   Link #1380
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

What if Gamilasforming isn't actually meant to make earths atmosphere more like Gamilons per say, but it's designed to just clean it up in general?

In Nausica Valley of the wind, the sea of corruption (a giant forest ecology that emitted miasma toxic to humans) was actually a sophisticated pollution clean up mechanism devised by the long lost ancient human civilization. After the Miasma had done its work, the environment was left clean and pure.

If you're conquering a more primitive races planet that refuses to surrender, Gamilasforming is a nifty tool. It cleans up any pollution left behind by the previous inhabitants, and it's such an intensive *chemotherapy* that it doesn't leave any resistant natives to bother your new colonists once the planet has been renewed.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato