AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-03, 19:57   Link #81
RoRo_en_el_foro

You will find some wonderful scans of Kamichu in animepaper:
http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/scans/Kamichu/
You have to register and post comments on the wallpapers in order to download the scans. There are 3 awesome wallpapers for download too, you just have to register to download them. One of them is from Ningen and you can download "for free" from here:
http://ningen.nattoli.net/wallpapers/kamichu.html
RoRo_en_el_foro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 03:57   Link #82
mj_mjohnson
Anything but Cliche

Unhappy Kamichu awareness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I kind of know what happens... companies tend to go back to the well where they had luck before (ooooh, MORE pocket monsters!!!!) and ignore actual quality analysis of what might sell and can we create new audience. Shows like Mahoraba, Honey & Clover, Kamichu .... all have wide audience potential but someone has to have the vision to risk spending license money on it.
That said... if it were just a matter of subtitling series, I think we'd see a LOT more ... but the English voice dubs and the cost of that are major obstacles.

I kind of agree... I (and frankly everyone I know, kid or adult) who watches anime watch it for the "japanese flavor" as part of the entertainment package. Over-americanizing it (anyone remember ALL those bagels and donuts the Pokewhatzit kids ate?) is just a bunch of guys in suits not "getting it".
I guess my main wish with any Japan-locale based anime is that the cultural references are kept pure. I remember the days of anything being licensed meaning a high chance of a dub only release with edits (now it's relatively restricted to young kids shows at least). Probably the best thing about the DVD format is there's little excuse in not including the original audio and subtitle track if it isn't edited, though there have been strange experiments as well (Card Captor Sakura's unedited subtitle only version for instance, which ultimately won over the dub too)

In this golden age of anime flooding, with some companies feeling the bite of over licensing, I don't see Kamichu being high on the list purely due to the requirement to advertize to the English anime buying public. And since the fansub community hasn't jumped on the series like many others, I as an exec wouldn't grab this show yet... (certainly not over a show that gets thousands of downloads like Mai-Otome or even Magikano)

I'm happy to see Kamichu topping quite a few of the anime blogs top 2005 lists, and hopefully if one of the fansub groups start up again with Kamichu, maybe some momentum can build. Unfortunately I would offically call Kamichu stalled since there's been no activity for over a month from any group...
mj_mjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 12:08   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(dammit... stupid web client, stupid satellite connection... wish there was a delete option)

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-02-06 at 12:24.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 12:14   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There is an active group, but the activity is restricted somewhat simply because everyone punted on the broadcast series after the DVDs that are coming out were renumbered and new episodes inserted in between the existing ones. So... the fansub group doing it is only able to release once a month or less as the R2 region DVDs roll out. Fortunately, it was my favorite one doing it (with their nifty little guides at the end of each episode).
In addition, one the primary sub members had some unexpected RL interrupts in January in addition to the usual "holidays + finals + new classes" kind of interruptions. So I wouldn't call it stalled just yet (as I remember last year completely spinning when Froth-Bite would stall for months on the weekly series Tsukuyomi Moon Phase ... or Mahou stalled on Mahoraba for weeks at a time and I was unable to find the raws as a backup just in case ).

I don't dispute that waiting once a month or more for release is wrenching simply because of the short lifespan of many fansub hobbyist alliances. There's always the "will they be able to carry one" question and I'm wavering on holding firm about waiting for an R1 release versus gritting my teeth and going for the R2s (which really limits who I can show this to).

edit: http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/637.html has a pretty good explanation of the renumbering "crisis" that led to the current situation.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-02-06 at 12:28.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 21:55   Link #85
mj_mjohnson
Anything but Cliche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
There is an active group, but the activity is restricted somewhat simply because everyone punted on the broadcast series after the DVDs that are coming out were renumbered and new episodes inserted in between the existing ones. So... the fansub group doing it is only able to release once a month or less as the R2 region DVDs roll out. Fortunately, it was my favorite one doing it (with their nifty little guides at the end of each episode).
In addition, one the primary sub members had some unexpected RL interrupts in January in addition to the usual "holidays + finals + new classes" kind of interruptions. So I wouldn't call it stalled just yet (as I remember last year completely spinning when Froth-Bite would stall for months on the weekly series Tsukuyomi Moon Phase ... or Mahou stalled on Mahoraba for weeks at a time and I was unable to find the raws as a backup just in case ).

I don't dispute that waiting once a month or more for release is wrenching simply because of the short lifespan of many fansub hobbyist alliances. There's always the "will they be able to carry one" question and I'm wavering on holding firm about waiting for an R1 release versus gritting my teeth and going for the R2s (which really limits who I can show this to).

edit: http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/637.html has a pretty good explanation of the renumbering "crisis" that led to the current situation.

True, this isn't like some fansub delays that ultimately resulted in happy ends. I guess I'm primarily worried simply due to low likelyhood of R1 licensing anytime soon, and same here that I can't show my family/friends an unsubbed show (everybody learns that lesson the hard way :-) )
Old 2006-02-09, 02:42   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suppose I should actually sit down and write ADV or someone and ask them to consider licensing it.... who knows... maybe they actually read their mail

I've also found that even subtitles are a bit much for some. My wife is nearsighted in one eye, farsighted in the other and has a bit of astigmatism. As a result, she can only watch an hour or so of subtitled anime before she gets a headache. So she's always wanting dubs (most of which give *me* headaches..... oye).
Old 2006-02-10, 05:06   Link #87
RoRo_en_el_foro

ADV could'nt know if people likes this show if this show is not fansubbed. So we have to wait.
Old 2006-02-11, 18:10   Link #88
mj_mjohnson
Anything but Cliche

Chuchuchuu?

Looks like I spoke too soon, since I just noticed that Chuchuchuu just put out episodes 7 and 8 (wow, activity at last :-) )

I can only assume these are the redone versions without checking them out. I've never heard of Chuchuchuu before this (no web page, no links, etc)...
Old 2006-02-11, 21:01   Link #89
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_mjohnson
Looks like I spoke too soon, since I just noticed that Chuchuchuu just put out episodes 7 and 8 (wow, activity at last :-) )

I can only assume these are the redone versions without checking them out. I've never heard of Chuchuchuu before this (no web page, no links, etc)...
They did episode 6 the first part of January.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 21:57   Link #90
RoRo_en_el_foro

It seems like chu chu chu is a kamichu fan tired of waiting :P
Now I'm curious but I can't download ep 6 torrent. When I click it says "ID not found". ¿Anybody happens the same?
Old 2006-02-12, 03:12   Link #91
PixyMisa
Cabbit Farmer

Yep. Just go to the home page and search for it; it's there, with plenty of seeds.

Thank you, Chuchuchuu!
PixyMisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 06:12   Link #92
knusbits

ahh very nice, that makes my sunday ^^ finally more episodes from one of my favorite series.

thanks very much, chuchuhuu - very much appreciated!
knusbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 16:19   Link #93
currywu

Can anyone comment on the sub quality of CCC's releases? I don't mind waiting for IIchan since they provide those awesome translation notes at the end of each ep.
currywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 16:44   Link #94
knusbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by currywu
Can anyone comment on the sub quality of CCC's releases? I don't mind waiting for IIchan since they provide those awesome translation notes at the end of each ep.
seem perfectly fine to me (not being the uber-expert). of course they're not quite on the level of those earlier IIchan-releases (which i loved because of those extra-info's) but just as well - i'm thankful for these new episodes.
knusbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 03:40   Link #95
Gladi

Bright day
And I thank Chuchuchu for including two subtitles as with mkv I have often problems with them . Thank you!
Gladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 11:51   Link #96
DaFool
Resident devil

And the official judgement is...

Excellence Prize -- Animation Division, 9th Japan Media Arts Festival

http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/english/fes...n/anime03.html

The awards won't actually be handed out until February 23, 2006.

There we go my friends. For those who've recognized this gem already, pat yourselves on the back. For the rest of you...go watch it! (and sub it....lol).
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 16:36   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It *looks* like an important award.... I kind of like the use of Flash to show the opening of the series. Finally someone doesn't run nuts with flash on a website. The government agency for cultural affairs and the University of Tokyo appear to run or sponsor the festival so ..... that might attract more popular attention to the show now.
Old 2006-02-14, 23:31   Link #98
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just a quick question for those who've watched the show all the way through, as I'm only through the subbed eps (7). Not looking for specific spoilers, but is Shou-chan's character developed any further in the last five episodes? I like Kamichu very much, but I get a little frustrated with that one aspect - there's a lot of potential to that character and they continually tease it as if they're going to explore it, but it never quite happens...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-20, 19:03   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
Just a quick question for those who've watched the show all the way through, as I'm only through the subbed eps (7). Not looking for specific spoilers, but is Shou-chan's character developed any further in the last five episodes? I like Kamichu very much, but I get a little frustrated with that one aspect - there's a lot of potential to that character and they continually tease it as if they're going to explore it, but it never quite happens...
Here's a good site with a summary of the 12 broadcast episodes (couldn't find one offhand of the DVD extra eps). Spoilers galore.
http://matthew.animeblogger.net/arch...at_kamichu.php

I'd guess Shou-chan doesn't get the amount of screen time some might like...

Miko and Matsuri are really my favorites... Miko is just really cute and she gets an interesting little episode where she goes off to a competition.
Matsuri has an aggressive sexy quality ---- this girl is going to grow up and just knock the socks of guys.
Old 2006-02-25, 12:47   Link #100
Rion
Ramune~

86 seeds and nobody posting here? O.o Anyways, thank you so much, Iitran, for bringing us episode 4! (You can easily guess that I have eagerly awaited this )
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slice of life