AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-26, 11:45   Link #41
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Yuki wearing the hat is a big flag to me.

Will it all end in tears, both happy and sad?
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 12:00   Link #42
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's ironic that I find [C], which plays fast and loose with its faux financial concepts, more entertaining than Moshidora, which actually takes management seriously.

Put me among the others who found this episode bland. That said, I do hope that's just because the payback will come later in the series. If the Economist article that Tempester referenced is anything to go by, the actual book on which this anime is based was apparently a hit in Japan, so I am very curious to see why.

To me, it takes a stretch to see how business management relates to high-school baseball-team management. By that, I don't mean that the same basic principles do not apply, but rather that I would think it takes more than just sound management to forge a winning sports team.

Incidentally, despite being a business graduate, I confess I never actually read Peter Drucker, though I did study some of the topics he wrote about through other writers. Michael Porter's thoughts about gaining and keeping competitive advantage were more to my interest (and possibly even more directly relevant to sports management!), I'm afraid.

That said, this episode's "thought exercise" was actually a pretty good example of stakeholder analysis. Minami got it right towards the end when she realised that, if one were to think very broadly, a baseball team's customers include not just all of its audience and sponsors, but also its members. And it's common sense, of course, that the more aligned each member's goals are, the more motivated a team would be, overall.

And, naturally, it's also a lot easier to crystallise an organisation's "mission statement" once you've made clear what every stakeholder wants out of it.

Problem is, so what? I've never found such analysis to be useful in practice. It's a given that, within any organisation, there will be competing goals. And, in the end, there will almost always be a need for a charismatic individual to champion a single objective that everyone will follow, grudgingly or not. Without such decisive leadership, an organisation can find itself endlessly stuck in "soul-searching" mode, much to its detriment.

Still, I wish Minami the best possible luck!
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 12:24   Link #43
ipodi

Wow. A fellow business school grad.

I rarely felt the urge to comment on any anime series, but I will make an exception for this one. I have an advanced degree from a business school (and have read Drucker... for fun), I found that the points touched upon in EP1 are relevant and useful in many areas.

I have personally witnessed how integrity and transparency can transform the entire organization (my department). Without them, no one will buy into the leader's objective. When I was a graduate student, my adviser was appointed as chair of the department I was in. He had no managerial experience, but he led with integrity. He brought all faculty members on board with his vision and objectives. After that, he set out to market our department to donors who would give us money.

Needless to say, due to my personal experiences, I am very impressed with this series. But for many other viewers, I can see that the content and the message are both foreign and uninteresting.
ipodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 12:29   Link #44
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

"Rather bland" is a good description. I enjoyed it -- but maybe not as much as I had hoped. It is a good sign, however, that I enjoyed it more the second time I watched it.

Maybe it helps that I am interested in management -- a fascinating thing both to do and to learn about: how to help people work together and succeed. I think good management can make a huge difference in how well people are able to express, combine, and focus their talents. So I'm not really a doubter (at least for anime purposes) in the premise of the story. Like ipodi, I've had experience of seeing people buy in and work well when they are led with honesty, with respect for their knowledge and opinions, and with as much openness as possible. No mushrooms.

I liked Hikasa Youko's voice here as Minami (she's Mio in K-On). Very plain and strong and straightforward, somehow appropriate for the character. Hyocchi herself was apparently a very good softball player all through high school.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 13:55   Link #45
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well this series is airing pretty much an episode a day for two weeks, so perhaps the slow pace will be appreciated at some point, since this is going to go by quite fast.

However I also am skeptical of applying Peter Drucker's methods to a baseball team , but we'll see.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 14:48   Link #46
satomianzaki

a very interesting series indeed...so many nice animes to follow this season...
satomianzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 14:51   Link #47
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Needless to say, due to my personal experiences, I am very impressed with this series. But for many other viewers, I can see that the content and the message are both foreign and uninteresting.
I actually found it quite entertaining. And I have no economics background to speak of. However I’d say the entertainment value was more like “food for thought” then anything else. I’ll give the analysis some credibility, but I’m not exactly moved too much by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well this series is airing pretty much an episode a day for two weeks, so perhaps the slow pace will be appreciated at some point, since this is going to go by quite fast.
Say what?

How many episodes is it?
Old 2011-04-26, 15:16   Link #48
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Say what?

How many episodes is it?
It's 10 episodes long. There will be an episode every weekday this week and next week.

So yes, the show aired another episode today .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 18:42   Link #49
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Premiere was interesting. It's an extremely odd premise, obviously, and presented in an extremely odd format. The questions Minami (via Drucker) asks aren't ones you normally ask about baseball, but strangely relevant. I respect any series that can make you look at something extremely familiar in a new way.

But interesting in not entertaining, and on that score the jury is still out. It was hardly riveting, and none of the characters really popped. Will any of the guys develop as something more than props? Will the fascinating concept pick up some dramatic imperative? Given the 10-day broadcast schedule we won't have to wait long to find out.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 19:27   Link #50
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Second episode already? Wow didn't expect that.

So a new episode everyday for the this week and next not counting the weekend? Well, considering how slow everything is, I'd say that's a good thing else people will lose interest.

And 16:52, it was Minami who gave Jirou's glove... D'aww. ^_^

God I'm a hopeless shipper lol. :Heh:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 19:34   Link #51
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 1:
Old 2011-04-26, 22:14   Link #52
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Not to bad but with only 10eps this is going to move to fast
Old 2011-04-26, 22:19   Link #53
typhonsentra

Those cranes in the closing credits are ominous.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 23:13   Link #54
ipodi

Once again, the people who worked on this anime nailed another important issue facing the management- clear communication. Think about how various governments are trying to convey the reality and danger of climate change but people continue to have difficulties understanding the science behind it, leading to increase skepticism about its reality.

I think viewers can get a lot of mileage out of this show if they are not expecting romance and/or baseball drama.
ipodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 23:56   Link #55
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
...I think viewers can get a lot of mileage out of this show if they are not expecting romance and/or baseball drama.
I think we may get a bit of both of those, too. So far, the baseball has seemed pretty real to me, revealing some of the psychological inner workings of the team. It reminded me a bit of another good show, Giant Killing. But the management side is plenty in itself. I liked ep2. I think good communication is the #1 thing to work on in management or any other human relation. Those little visits were a good technique -- or a good trick, if you like.

@ars89 -- I infer/guess that Minami came to hate baseball when she was no longer allowed to play, or when the boys got so much bigger than her that she was ineffective. And I think that Yuki is her friend: she called Yuki's mother "auntie," which could mean she was her real aunt, but is the normal way of referring to a friend's mother, or to any woman somewhat older than you.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 04:51   Link #56
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
@ars89 -- I infer/guess that Minami came to hate baseball when she was no longer allowed to play, or when the boys got so much bigger than her that she was ineffective. And I think that Yuki is her friend: she called Yuki's mother "auntie," which could mean she was her real aunt, but is the normal way of referring to a friend's mother, or to any woman somewhat older than you.
Third possibility: she was rejected by a boy she liked because she was better at baseball than he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
To me, it takes a stretch to see how business management relates to high-school baseball-team management. By that, I don't mean that the same basic principles do not apply, but rather that I would think it takes more than just sound management to forge a winning sports team.
It seems two of the biggest problems of that team are a lack of cohesiveness and motivation. Good management can really help them, there. (I hope.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 06:05   Link #57
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 2.

I just can't get into it. I mean I actually paused 6 minutes in to watch Koi Sento (drugs would've been cheaper) and then went back to it and stopped 3 minutes later. I just can't get into it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 06:09   Link #58
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 06:12   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I can see where this is going now. The team does have a lot of issues (some minor, some a little more important) that you wouldn't notice at first glance. Minami's job will be to help them overcome them, as well as act as a mediator (or interpreter) between the coach and the team. I like the characters so far: the seemigly cold but thoughtful coach, the shy and lonely co-manager, the sensitive pitcher, the lovely Yuki (I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guys joined the team for her ), ...

I'm glad Kana-chan wasn't typecasted and was given Yuki's role instead of Ayano's.
Old 2011-04-27, 06:20   Link #60
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I can see where this is going now. The team does have a lot of issues (some minor, some a little more important) that you wouldn't notice at first glance. Minami's job will be to help them overcome them, as well as act as a mediator (or interpreter) between the coach and the team. I like the characters so far: the seemigly cold but thoughtful coach, the shy and lonely co-manager, the sensitive pitcher, the lovely Yuki (I wouldn't be surprised if one of the guys joined the team for her ), ...
Ayano did...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, production i.g.