AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 162 45.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 8.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 4.20%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 15 4.20%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 1.40%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 10 2.80%
1 out of 10 : Painful 40 11.20%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-07, 01:01   Link #401
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I was one of the not-so-vocal persons who mildly enjoyed the arc. However, looking at it retrospectively, it was such a good build up for this episode's ending. I had refrained from looking at the forum myself in orde to keep the surprise factor and boy was I surprised. I hope this is not only a glimpse to the KyoAni 1-2 years ago that we used to love and adore, and it is an effective return to their winning formula, but I just loved this episode. It gets the Proto seal of approval, which gives it an automatic 10. I'm not one of those people that go around saying that they have only given 3 10's in their lifes, i've given much more than that. However, this episode sreiously impressed me in many ways. Kudos. A lot of them. To kyoani.
Someone not so kindly asked me for the reasoning behind me liking of this episode, however, there isn't really a complicated reason, and it will be possibly unsatisfying for many people, however it is something that deeply impressed me.

The complexity of the work I do in real life has ironically lead me to realize that what drives human beings shouldn't really be complicated. The most important things that impress and leads us to do things IRL should be all characterized by the simplicity behind them. In the case of why I liked this episode, it was as simple as I liked the piano piece used during Kyon's realization scene. As simple as that. Obviously it was not just the piano scene itself, but the scene where it was used, the work of Sugita during that part and all, the combination and synergy of it all, however that scene as a whole, and the piano piece itself left a deep impression in me. I would have been able to watch double the E8 episodes just for that scene.

I may be a man with simple tastes, however I am also very impressionable by the small aspects of life. I have cried to grand piano performances, to the first time I saw a snowfall and stuff. In this case E8 didn't make me shed a tear, however I was completely in awe during that scene, and that is enough for me rating this episode as a 10.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:01   Link #402
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
Well, Kyon is implied to have shouted in the novel, too (mentioning everyone in the cafe looks at him once he gets her attention).
I know, but completly missed it (the problem of reading in another language )

After have read some latter books, I don't really believe it was uncharacteristic. But it seen so. It is the first time he act like that after all.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:02   Link #403
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Did it make you wonder why?

Did it evoke a strong emotion?

If you are here posting the answer is yes. Looks like you had an experience. If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't be here driving the "wahmbulance."
Why are you lumping me in with Charred Knight? All I tried to explain was where I draw the line between artistic experience and entertainment and where Haruhi fits in. I don't think I've been driving much of anything other than my own subjective opinion.

Though if we were to go by your simpler definition then every anime qualfies as an experience, and that means there's there's nothing so special about Haruhi that any anime I come to talk about on these forums would lack. Thus you should be saying that anime isn't entertainment, but an experience. And of course I'd still disagree, but heh, Diff'rent Strokes.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:03   Link #404
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Nope

Nope, just little annoyance and slight amusement.

Experience is such a vague word, anything could be applied as an experience. Also imo animes are suppose to entertain and no matter what anyone say the goal of this anime was to entertain people. A statement like Haruhi isn't meant to entertain is very absurd imo.
Anyhow pretty mediocre imo, I thought the loop might had bigger purpose but in the end the gimmick of Endless Eight was terrible. Though I will not deny that when Kyon finally stopped Haruhi it brought big grin for me, but as it reached the end it really wasn't worth it.
If something affected you strongly enough to get you to play the minutia game... You had an experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Why are you lumping me in with Charred Knight? All I tried to explain was where I draw the line between artistic experience and entertainment and where Haruhi fits in. I don't think I've been driving much of anything other than my own subjective opinion.

Though if we were to go by your simpler definition then every anime qualfies as an experience, and that means there's there's nothing so special about Haruhi that any anime I come to talk about on these forums would lack. Thus you should be saying that anime isn't entertainment, but an experience. And of course I'd still disagree, but heh, Diff'rent Strokes.
I said Haruhi was an experience. Nothing about anime. After reading the first novel and Tanigawa's comments about wanting the reader to have a sense of wonderment of the world... I pretty much understood this arc (I wouldn't be surprised if Tanigawa had his hands in this arcs portrayal).
Old 2009-08-07, 01:07   Link #405
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yep...back to normal.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:07   Link #406
brocko

By the way, has anyone else wondered what would've happened if Kyon had attempted to stay up past the midnight of August 31st heading into September 1st? Could he have broken the loop that way?
If no, what if he had stayed up with Haruhi then? Surely homework couldn't have been the only way

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:09   Link #407
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
If something affected you strongly enough to get you to play the minutia game... You had an experience.

I said Haruhi was an experience. Nothing about anime. After reading the first novel and Tanigawa's comments about wanting the reader to have a sense of wonderment of the world... I pretty much understood this arc (I wouldn't be surprised if Tanigawa didn't have a hand in this).
Okay, well I hope you realize you now have two competing definitions for what qualifies as an "experience" and that one is extremely strict, while the other is all encompassing.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:10   Link #408
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmm... vote numbers are already roughly equal to start of endless 8 despite only it being under 24 hours of its broadcast?

Like Endless Eight or not, but it really did make the fanbase 'care', even if it's not the typical 'care' we're talking about.

At the very least, the viewership doesn't seem to be dwindling, so I really highly doubt that this arc would tank in sales like some pessimist thinks it will. And Kadokawa/KyoAni would only profit more in the long run as they've extended the series's life span without alienating their audience. Well, at the very least not permanently alienating them, as its evident even now that those who 'dropped' Haruhi because of E8 are coming back now.

In other words... just as planned. :shrug: :/
Old 2009-08-07, 01:11   Link #409
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Well call me stupid or something but I don't know what minutia game so I can't respond to you properly. But like I said experience is a vague word, for example I am responding to you that is an experience. In the end Haruhi is an entertainment, that is its main purpose.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:11   Link #410
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
By the way, has anyone else wondered what would've happened if Kyon had attempted to stay up past the midnight of August 31st heading into September 1st? Could he have broken the loop that way?
If no, what if he had stayed up with Haruhi then? Surely homework couldn't have been the only way
If he had stayed up, I think his current self would cease to exist at midnight and then he would be doing whatever he was doing at the start of August 17. Probably sleeping. So to the viewer he'd be awake in the room and then suddenly in bed sleeping. Something like that, I think.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:15   Link #411
Sports72Xtrm

Kinda disappointed that Kyon didn't take that Esper guy's advice and just hug Haruhi from behind and whisper in her ear "I <3 YOU". But after going through much of this endless hell, I have to admit ending was awesome. Time to put this arc behind me and move forward. Why dwell in the past eh? Also crying Mikuru is still the cutest.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:17   Link #412
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Anything is an experience. Endless eight is one, so is getting cancer or losing your mom at 12.

It doesn't mean it wasn't poorly thought out, pretentious, badly implemented and insulting. Good for KyoAni for having such an avid fandom, but I honestly don't believe they deserve it.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:22   Link #413
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Damit, my beard ...
Old 2009-08-07, 01:24   Link #414
kujoe
from head to heel

What the hell...

I remember joking about how Kyon's Endless Eight problem was just him not doing his homework, and man I wasn't even serious about it. I had a feeling it would be something this simple. It's like having this feeling of wanting to laugh and cry at the same time after failing at something.

*drops head on desk*

On the plus side (or not so plus side), Mikuru was really pushing my big brother instincts in this episode. Aargh! Moe blob breaking the moe meter in one fell swoop.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:25   Link #415
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Okay, well I hope you realize you now have two competing definitions for what qualifies as an "experience" and that one is extremely strict, while the other is all encompassing.
Is something that gets people talking and thinking really that bad? It may have been a "bad experience" for you... but it was still an experience that made you feel you had to share your opinions with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
Anything is an experience. Endless eight is one, so is getting cancer or losing your mom at 12.

It doesn't mean it wasn't poorly thought out, pretentious, badly implemented and insulting. Good for KyoAni for having such an avid fandom, but I honestly don't believe they deserve it.
And that's your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Well call me stupid or something but I don't know what minutia game so I can't respond to you properly. But like I said experience is a vague word, for example I am responding to you that is an experience. In the end Haruhi is an entertainment, that is its main purpose.
Well, if you are going along this line of thought... you are wrong... it's primary purpose is to create revenue.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:26   Link #416
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
What the hell...

I remember joking about how Kyon's Endless Eight problem was just him not doing his homework, and man I wasn't even serious about it. I had a feeling it would be something this simple. It's like having this feeling of wanting to laugh and cry at the same time after failing at something.

*drops head on desk*
lol

They did make sure to end each episode mentioning him not doing his homework, plus him asking Haruhi if she finished hers.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:31   Link #417
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
lol

They did make sure to end each episode mentioning him not doing his homework, plus him asking Haruhi if she finished hers.
Yeah, that's what I thought but I wasn't even serious. I was like, "Wouldn't it be funny if all he had to do was do his homework?" I thought it would be hilarious if that's actually the case.

And there you go! Make sure you do your homework kiddies, lest you doom yourself to a time loop.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:32   Link #418
mokuseimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
People are generally insecure and, especially when surrounded by others who seem to agree with their point of view, resort to bashing the people whose point of view they don't understand or seems incongruous to their own. I think it's a primal instinct; it's like you're the nail that sticks up, so you get hammered down. You get this all the time around here from source purists, counter-culture trolls, and, of course, in this thread It's like the power of their own opinion is only supported by the opinion of others (hence their need to have others agree that they're right), and is made perfect in a delusional belief that there is only one possible truth; that if others feel differently, there must be something wrong with them. After all, to assume otherwise would be admitting that your own opinions aren't perfectly logical, reasonable, and Right, and who would want to live in a world where their own opinions are arguably wrong?!

I may have slipped into an unkind frame of mind when regarding those who said they were enjoying the arc, and that wasn't fair. However, I have tried on the whole to be objective and calm.

By critiques of the Endless Eight "experiment" are these two things:

1) As an artistic experiment, I feel it was a failure; that is to say, it did not do what I think it intended to do. I think the intention was to make the viewer see things through Yuki's eyes; however, the tone of episodes 2-7 was inconsistent, at one moment as upbeat and other moment nearly schizophrenic, but randomly and without progression. As a result, I didn't feel like I was in Yuki's shoes at all.

2) It seems to me very likely that the decision to do Endless Eight this way was financially driven; either Kadokawa wanting to extend the series and figuring that even people who didn't like Endless Eight might buy it out of fan loyalty; or as an attempt to build up the buzz lost over the hiatus. Of course, a financially driven decision by a production company and its sponsor is not inherently objectionable---but the way they strung the fans on with distortions and half-truths about the nature of this "re-airing" (as in the Newtype issue with Disappearance Haruhi on the cover) was at best duplicitous and at worst outright fraudulent.

I think that there is some logic behind these statements, but I perhaps my judgment is clouded by my own ego. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

What I don't get about all of this (though understand all the same) is how a niche geek community somehow thought it was right and proper, in a smaller context, to mimic the way the larger community looks down upon and discriminates against us. I mean, most people I know think anime is stupid and would seriously look down on me if I admitted that I simply watched it, let alone collected it. And yet here we are, In This Thread, with people judging anyone who would dare either admit they enjoyed the story arc, or is considering buying the DVDs. Because it's the same story re-animated? So what? I'm sure that others enjoy shows that I would personally consider an even greater waste of time for me for entirely different, personal reasons. Just because some people - heck, even many people -- didn't like it, that must mean that there's something wrong with people who feel differently? Is their feeling differently so incongruous to the proper functioning of the world and all that is Right and Good and Normal? When we're talking about a freaking cartoon that most people think you're developmentally-challenged for still watching at your age? Nevermind discussing it ad nauseum on a freakin' message board. Why hello there, Kettle. You're looking rather black today. Is the only way to convince yourself that you're "not wrong" to fool yourself into thinking that there are others more wrong than you?
There is one thing about this statement that I feel misses the mark. If people look down on others because of their tastes in entertainment, then that is their problem. But I don't think one can compare Endless Eight as a form of entertainment to anime as a whole. That is to say, while anime is a form of entertainment that has certain thing that distinguish it from other forms (it is animated, and animated in a somewhat different way than Western animation; the drawing often has certain similar characteristics), it is still similar to other forms in that it usually has characters doing some kind of action; indeed, I doubt there is an anime out there of which there is no other show or movie like it, or even sort of like it. But there has never been anything like Endless Eight before, nor, I imagine, will there ever be again. It is essentially eight episodes of a show in which basically the same actions and dialogue repeat nearly eight times: if there is something similar to this out there, I'd be interested to hear it.

So, I don't feel it really works to say, "I bet there are shows that you like that most other people don't like", because Endless Eight isn't comparable to any other show.

Of course, if you or anyone else likes Endless Eight, no one has any right to find fault with you. But I think that the difference between those who enjoyed Endless Eight and those who didn't goes beyond a difference of taste in anime---it is a difference of taste about completely separate mode of entertainment. As in, liking Endless Eight is not like you enjoying a certain action movie whereas I dislike it; liking Endless Eight is like you liking magic shows (an almost unique form of entertainment) whereas I dislike magic shows. In such a case, I don't think either side can really understand the other as much as they would like. I certainly won't say there is anything wrong with anyone who liked Endless Eight (there isn't), but try as I might I simply can't understand that point of view. Perhaps it is simply a limitation of my experience or my ability to sympathize with others (a flaw many of us have), but I can't deny that it is the case.

---------

Anyway, I watched the last episode as well as the three I missed. One thing that got to me was how many still shots there were is six; it was as though you could hear the animation cels starving from want of budget. Episode 8 was sufficiently different from the others that I felt it merited a seven. Especially Kyon's, as many are calling it, "acid trip".
Old 2009-08-07, 01:32   Link #419
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

No no no.

You must always procrastinate on doing your homework because you might need it as a plot device in an emergency situation!
Old 2009-08-07, 01:36   Link #420
kujoe
from head to heel

Speaking about procrastinating... I've got some stuff I have to get done by tomorrow.
Closed Thread