AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-01-15, 22:14   Link #1
liltrey321
Gundamhead

Program Help with AMV's

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some help finding a good video editing software client. I've used Window's Movie Maker before, but as we all know it sucks! I'm using window's vista and I cant use my .avi files with movie maker and that is the reason of which I have come here for help all suggestions are welcome.
liltrey321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 22:54   Link #2
mit7059

I learned how to edit on Avid, which I though was a relatively intuitive program but I haven't edited in several years and I don't know how good the current version is. For what it's worth though I noticed in the credits of Clint Eastwood's new movie Gran Torino that it was edited on Avid.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 23:03   Link #3
Flame-X
Anti-fan

Most video editing programs won't allow any AVI's that have divx or xvid encoded in them. So you're gonna have to convert those files to lossless in order to get them to work.

One software I use is Sony Vegas which is like a user-friendlier version of Adobe Premiere. You can download a free trial at the site. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...egasfamily.asp

And here's a guide for converting videos. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtechbeta/
Old 2009-01-16, 00:16   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Clamp-X's advice is good. However, I will tell you this. If you encode an episode in lossless, you will probably have around 100 gb per episode. That means, if you want to go the non-WMM route, then be prepared to plan ahead and only convert the clips you need to import into your movie editor.

Oh, and Adobe Premiere can work with xvid AVIs, but it's basically decoding everything which pretty much rapes your RAM and makes the whole editing process slow.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 00:21   Link #5
npcomplete

how about Blender VSE? Haven't tried it yet, but it looks powerful and you can't beat free
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 14:08   Link #6
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

I wonder if there is anyone here crazy enough to make an AMV solely by AVISynth script without any video editing software...? I actually did once (FF10 MV) a few years ago LOL

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

AnimeTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 21:30   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeTheme View Post
I wonder if there is anyone here crazy enough to make an AMV solely by AVISynth script without any video editing software...? I actually did once (FF10 MV) a few years ago LOL
I had one in the works a month ago but I used Virtual dub to rip the frames and then After Effects to use them as a sequence, which requires a lot less disc space, if you import the MKV files in an editing program it then re encodes it and saves a data file next to your savefile of the project but per episode their file size can go up to 10 GB, which I had when wanting different scenes of many Code Geass episodes >.< Virtual Dub takes a lot less space when it comes to that issue, but ofc I edited with After Effects and made it pwetty
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 17:17   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
If you encode an episode in lossless, you will probably have around 100 gb per episode.
what

no seriously even with an inefficient codec like huffyuv it's hard to get over 6 gb/episode at 704x480; with a better codec like lossless h264, ffvh, lagarith or ffv1 you're looking at 3-5 gb/ep for standard ntsc dvd resolution (704x480)

even completely uncompressed rgb32 (32 bits per pixel) would only be around 50 gb per episode at 704x480 so I have no idea where you got this 100 gb/ep figure from

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeTheme View Post
it has been on my "list of things to do on a rainy day" for years
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 18:51   Link #9
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

My bad, I wanted to say ~100 GB for a ~24 episode series.
Old 2009-01-23, 20:04   Link #10
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp-X View Post
Most video editing programs won't allow any AVI's that have divx or xvid encoded in them. So you're gonna have to convert those files to lossless in order to get them to work.

One software I use is Sony Vegas which is like a user-friendlier version of Adobe Premiere. You can download a free trial at the site. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...egasfamily.asp

And here's a guide for converting videos. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtechbeta/
I tried to download the trial, but it saids that I need to register the trial online and they ask for a serial number. How am I suppose to get the serial number?
Old 2009-01-23, 20:09   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp-X View Post

funny though, cccp works with my video editing programs so I can import with ease even when they're encoded with DivX or XviD

the only real difference there is between Premiere and Vegas on terms of editing animation is that Vegas allows you sync to a beat of a song, I've tried to work with Vegas on several occasions but as a Premiere user I would say its the opposite cause I found it more difficult to overlook and to do things than in Premiere, if you figure out what goes where in Premiere it is easy to use and you can switch between other Adobe programs easily
Old 2009-01-23, 20:46   Link #12
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Here's the thing with Premiere. When I edit using lagarith, importing and editing literally takes no RAM usage until you add effects/transitions and render them. When I edit using XviD, importing them alone takes my RAM down to 300 mb and editing them is even worse. It's slow and sometimes Premiere freezes.

Side Note: I haven't used Vegas but from my experiences with Premiere, it doesn't take that long to familiarize yourself with it. If you're willing to put in like maybe three days or so to learn the program, then Premiere won't be very hard. It's certainly not as easy as "copy and paste" Windows Movie Maker style, but it works quite well.
Old 2009-01-24, 06:38   Link #13
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Here's the thing with Premiere. When I edit using lagarith, importing and editing literally takes no RAM usage until you add effects/transitions and render them. When I edit using XviD, importing them alone takes my RAM down to 300 mb and editing them is even worse. It's slow and sometimes Premiere freezes.

Side Note: I haven't used Vegas but from my experiences with Premiere, it doesn't take that long to familiarize yourself with it. If you're willing to put in like maybe three days or so to learn the program, then Premiere won't be very hard. It's certainly not as easy as "copy and paste" Windows Movie Maker style, but it works quite well.
if it takes too much RAM then I would recommend a different method that I have said before but then about MKV files, you simple use VirtualDub, select the scene you want and save them as frames in a folder like from number 0001 to 0050 for example, you can import those files as a movie sequence by importing the first frame, making certain you have 'import as stills' turned on and then it will automatically import the rest and combine them

it is because Premiere itself has to re encode the file that it takes so much RAM, let alone if you save the project Premiere will save like a file with it that is the encoded video which can run up to high sizes and I am certain Vegas won't do it differently, it will most likely use a lot of RAM re encoding your video so it can use it and even then it could cause many problems cause it has to maintain and save the file

the saved frames take less discspace than the imported video files, keep recon with that
Old 2009-01-24, 22:07   Link #14
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
To the OP, I'd recommend gearing yourself with Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, as they are frequently used by the industry. Neither is cheap, but if you're planning on making a career out of this, knowledge of either programs will go a long way for you.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 22:24   Link #15
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
if it takes too much RAM then I would recommend a different method that I have said before but then about MKV files, you simple use VirtualDub, select the scene you want and save them as frames in a folder like from number 0001 to 0050 for example, you can import those files as a movie sequence by importing the first frame, making certain you have 'import as stills' turned on and then it will automatically import the rest and combine them

it is because Premiere itself has to re encode the file that it takes so much RAM, let alone if you save the project Premiere will save like a file with it that is the encoded video which can run up to high sizes and I am certain Vegas won't do it differently, it will most likely use a lot of RAM re encoding your video so it can use it and even then it could cause many problems cause it has to maintain and save the file

the saved frames take less discspace than the imported video files, keep recon with that
Yeah, which is why you should use lagarith anyways. =/