AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-14, 05:16   Link #1021
Meloria

I think the opening sequence is to blame for the hype, but hey it got to me as well.
Meloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 05:48   Link #1022
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

More parodies

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ren4309ic4.swf

Lucky☆C.C.

Lucky☆Multi and Lucky☆Akari

Lucky☆Kenshin

Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 06:44   Link #1023
CarpeDiem
Oha-Lucky~!

My only regret is that I didn't watch this sooner.

I love these, to quote George Costanza, "show about nothing" shows like Azumanga Daioh. Not only is all the randomness absolutely awesome, but with Kyoto Animation, super moe~ characters, and a.f.k.'s wonderful translations behind it, I think we have a winner. I didn't think I'd be so amused by a five-minute discussion on how to eat various food items.

My favorite part of the episode is definitely the Lucky☆Channel segment with Akira. Her energy and almost (yeah, right) bi-polar personality had me rolling. Hahaha, it's great how this thread already grabbed the best GIFs from that segment (and the rest of the show) before I could take a stab at it. Great job, everyone.

Honestly, I didn't have any problems with a.f.k.'s translations, but this thread did bring to my attention that the "niche audience" line was rather awkward. I'm a supporter of translating "moe" as "turn-ons," and I like the placement of that "curses!" line. Perhaps the "wait a tick" line was a little strange, but it didn't deter me much.

All in all, I'm definitely going to follow this show. I loved Azumanga Daioh, so I'm glad that this series serves the genre well.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 08:04   Link #1024
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
No, I thought that's just her playing an MMORPG game... It would make sense since she was talking about a friend who she hardly see because he went off training and the fact they make a comment about how he hides both virtual and real world...
The part where they talked about the login status of Konata's friend and him being isolated both in the real world and virtual world, that's actually a reference to .hack//SIGN.

Eh? No one watch .hack//SIGN around here?
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 08:28   Link #1025
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
The part where they talked about the login status of Konata's friend and him being isolated both in the real world and virtual world, that's actually a reference to .hack//SIGN.

Yeah, I also thought of that

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 09:02   Link #1026
Child_of_Sierra

All those nice parody images... seriously this series needs its own image thread.

I also watched .hack//SIGN but that was a long time ago. I thought it was more of a jab for people who play online games though.
Old 2007-04-14, 10:09   Link #1027
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post

Well, thats actually more of a reference to the phenomenon of "hikkikomori", which is what SIGN was also referencing. SIGN's point was, if something happened to a hikkikomori person, would anybody know? or care? (I thought it was fun.) Anyway, I think the joke in LuckyStar is more that if Kona-chan knows people online who are hikkikomori, then she's even more otaku than anyone suspected. ^^;;;
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 11:00   Link #1028
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
The first one should earn her some friends.

Even if this ends up as its own board I'm not sure how it would do. It's really just the same people posting over and over. For example if I were to suddenly stop posting then the thread would take a huge blow. Same with a couple others.
Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. For me, it is actually quite strange to be posting this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye, there's actually just a handful of us so far.... it just happens to be the extensive babblers and fast typers
40 posts so far (including this one).
Old 2007-04-14, 11:23   Link #1029
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post

That's almost a paradigm in MMO gaming.... .hack//SIGN doesn't have any particular hold on it, though if someone were preparing a "Cultural Reference Guide to Lucky*Star" that'd certainly be a subentry to the paradigm (in the same section with all the MMO comments like Kona having "no real friends" etc).
Old 2007-04-14, 12:03   Link #1030
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Even if this ends up as its own board I'm not sure how it would do. It's really just the same people posting over and over. For example if I were to suddenly stop posting then the thread would take a huge blow. Same with a couple others.
There's so much new stuff coming out right now that I haven't had a chance to do much evaluation or commentary on any one series. By the time I'm ready to say something, someone else has already brought it up hours (or days) before. Other people are probably in the same boat. But pretty soon I should have finished separating the wheat from the chaff for this season and will be able to comment on the series that I've decided to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi
Blah, number confusion... Blah, now what number was the one where you start as a guy riding a chocobo and a random meteor fell from the sky...
Which end of the chocobo do you think of as the head?
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 12:59   Link #1031
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone else noticed Kona's absolutely feeeelthy mind
No, I noticed. I thought it was the funniest part of the episode. I wasn't picking up on it at first, but then I saw the ice cream cone (with the accompanying hand motion) so I had to rewind and watch it all again to find out what I'd missed out on. Then I had to rewind and watch it again to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Then I logged in here to see if anyone else had noticed, but everyone just kept saying how boring that segment was - so I thought maybe I had just been making it up or something.

Also, I don't see how the fact that this thread really only has a half dozen or so people posting in it makes it significantly different than any of the other series that are in a subforum. If you removed approximately four to six people from any of those threads they would have less discussion as well.
Old 2007-04-14, 13:01   Link #1032
rogueblade

Saw the first episode recently, and actually quite enjoyed it. I didn't go into it thinking that it would be some mega-awesome show that would make me cry laughing, but i went in thinking that i would like something that was quite funny.

And i have to say, i enjoyed it - especially the faux TV segment, and the main character's (really bad with names - Kotona? Something like that?) exclamation as she walked out of the physical - "Haven't grown". I didn't think that the food thing was that hard to 'get', at least, on one level. What with the visual aids they kept chucking at us, i got some laughs out of that.

I've also never seen Azu Daioh, so i didn't really have anythign to compare it to. However, it still made the half an hour or so fly by, which is definitely a good thing, i believe.
Can't wait for the second episode, and to see how this series evolves. I'd like it to keep plot-free, because the show seems to lend itself to random shit much more than it would to some sort of a plot.
rogueblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:10   Link #1033
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
@Vexx & rooboy:

Rewatching that segment with the food discussion, and I can't see any dirty jokes in there even if I try.

I think you guys are just gutter-minded.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:21   Link #1034
Skane
Anime Snark

Exclamation

Wait, wait. There was sexual innuendo in the food segment?!?!

The ice-cream cone I can somewhat see, but the curry rice? The strawberry cake? The beef tongue with onions? Eh? I don't consider myself a Saint when it comes to matters like these, but I am not getting any innuendo-vibes from the food segment. I mean, I myself have such conversations with my friends too, and we're certainly not injecting our commentary with double-meanings.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-14, 13:40   Link #1035
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
btw, the latest issue of comptiq has Lucky Star on its cover. Did anyone get a copy. Is there anything of interest?
Unfortunately due to financial constraints I cant order packages from Japan at the moment
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:48   Link #1036
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... the other two girls are either desperately trying to ignore Kona-chan's implications or they're just as naive as they appear (though the ice cream bit had them shifting gears for a second).

In a bit of beauty, the scene can be read several ways equally plausibly... but given Kona-chan's penchant for adult games one naturally is suspicious of her.
Old 2007-04-14, 13:59   Link #1037
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Wait, wait. There was sexual innuendo in the food segment?!?!

The ice-cream cone I can somewhat see, but the curry rice? The strawberry cake? The beef tongue with onions? Eh? I don't consider myself a Saint when it comes to matters like these, but I am not getting any innuendo-vibes from the food segment. I mean, I myself have such conversations with my friends too, and we're certainly not injecting our commentary with double-meanings.

Cheers.
I don't know. Konata's licking of the, whatever it was as if it were something else. Maybe I have a gutter brain like my father, but I kind of saw a bit of sexual innuendo there.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 14:15   Link #1038
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The ice cream was the most blatant..... in several aspects, but ymmv of course. After all, this is Kona-chan. She layers everything with multiple meanings.
Old 2007-04-14, 15:01   Link #1039
Jaden

It's in your heads...

That's simply the best way to devour an ice cream cone. The ice cream has to go into the cone, through any means necessary.
Old 2007-04-14, 15:08   Link #1040
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone else noticed Kona's absolutely feeeelthy mind
Her hands aren't that clean either.

Spoiler for Konata doing something naughty:

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen