AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 15 23.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 24.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 29.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 18.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-28, 11:43   Link #41
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by faburosumakusu View Post
I was wondering...
Spoiler for masako's dad:
The dad's letter mentioned "the four of us" being together again, and I don't get the impression he was talking about Psycho Gramps. Could be Masko's mom, but since she was never mentioned I suspect it's a clue to something else. There's also the odd point that neither Masako nor the maid seem to know that Himari is Kanba's sister.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:45   Link #42
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well I don't think one 2 minute surreal scene takes away from the realism of Shouma & Ringo.
I agree. I just hope that we're back to more realistic conversations between them in future episodes.
Old 2011-10-28, 11:50   Link #43
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree. I just hope that we're back to more realistic conversations between them in future episodes.
And another thing while I think ultimately the relationship between Ringo & Shouma feels real...Shouma turning up at the same hot spring as her was also more surreal than realistic.

On another note about Kanba possibly being related to Masako...not sure what I think about that. But even ignoring the father thing Masako & Kanba do look a little alike. I am not supporting the theory just saying....
Old 2011-10-28, 12:11   Link #44
faburosumakusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The dad's letter mentioned "the four of us" being together again, and I don't get the impression he was talking about Psycho Gramps. Could be Masko's mom, but since she was never mentioned I suspect it's a clue to something else. There's also the odd point that neither Masako nor the maid seem to know that Himari is Kanba's sister.
Thats an interesting possibility but then I think Kanba would have reacted much more differently when Masako kissed him and wouldn't just call her stalker but actually hint that having a relationship with her would be incestous.
But yes, I also found it really odd that Masako and the maid didn't refer to Himari as Kanba's sister.
Old 2011-10-28, 12:26   Link #45
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Huh, Masako's dad looks a lot like Kanba/Kanba's dad, maybe it really was the two of them (and not just mirrored shots of Kanba's father) who attacked the subways. Or, an even crazier theory, maybe Kanba somehow is his dad and in order to "set the world back on track" Sanetoshi will make him carry out the attacks himself and set the entire plot in motion.
Old 2011-10-28, 12:30   Link #46
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
I want to punch Shoma's stupid Bishonen face in the new OP. He's a lot more tolerable when he's being screwed over by Ringo in someway, that is his purpose in life.
Old 2011-10-28, 13:21   Link #47
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Funniest and Sexiest Survival Strategy sequence to date.
The moment I saw "Survival Strategy" and the "SEIZON SENRYAKUUUU" lip movement. I started cheering like mad

This episode had quite the number of funny moments as well as serious moments. We got a glimpse of Kanbas stalker's history with her grandfather and the task she was entrusted by her father to protect her brother. With the short and random moment between Shouma and Ringo, I thought Shouma was still dumbfolded over the fact that Ringo has a crush on him? Why would she blatantly confess that she was his stalker now? Maybe what Triple R posted was true about them breaking the fourth wall on that part.

The train scene with Kanba and Masako's father in the same car with the talk from the doctor about changing the world is making me think of what Kanba's father did for some reason..
Old 2011-10-28, 13:41   Link #48
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah, the entire first half of the episode practically had me in stitches. So many hilarious shit packed into half an episode. But then all of a sudden it went into disturbing mode. So I guess Kanba's joined those terrorists huh?

Biggest shock for me though was Kanba having such a low voice even as a kid. o_0'
Old 2011-10-28, 13:51   Link #49
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
But yes, I also found it really odd that Masako and the maid didn't refer to Himari as Kanba's sister.
She also said "that woman" talking to Kanba about Himari in episode 14. She never refers to her as his sister. Could be a hint.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kanba and Masako were from the same family. Half-brother and sister? Cousins?
Kenzan being also Masako father would make the more sense since :
-Masako sees her father joining Kinga group and we know Kenza was part of it too
-he left the Natsume empire and the grandpa says he was a looser meaning he didn't provide him with financial support. Indeed Kenza and his new (?) family live modestly
-striking resemblance between Masako mental image of her father and grown-up Kanba
-Kanba wandering around the Natsume property, as if he already came there before and Masako not being surprised by his presence.
-Kanba words about "being cursed together". So far, the idea of curse has been used to refer to the Takakura children for what their parents did. Does Kanba consider Masako is also "cursed" because of what her father (Kenza ?) did?

Nothing makes it a certain fact yet, but that's a possibility. Although there is also a chance Kanba just happens to look like Masako's father and he just happened to take a walk in Masako's garden when she needed to talk and it's just Destiny toying with them...┐(-。ー')┌

Quote:
Thats an interesting possibility but then I think Kanba would have reacted much more differently when Masako kissed him and wouldn't just call her stalker but actually hint that having a relationship with her would be incestous.
Not sure about it. He does reject her very firmly .
Old 2011-10-28, 13:51   Link #50
YayPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Biggest shock for me though was Kanba having such a low voice even as a kid. o_0'

He was manly even at a young age. :P
Old 2011-10-28, 13:52   Link #51
Kagura89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Maybe Ikuni is so stingy that he didn't bother to hired any random female VA to do child Kanba Or he just "fascinated" with Subaru Kimura voice that happens to voice Gian in new Doraemon anime.
Old 2011-10-28, 14:01   Link #52
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Best part was Himari and the maid. Liked the scene of Masako and Kanba together when they were kids. Lol at her grandfather. Enjoyed her dreams of killing him, but in the end his own stupidity killed him. So now we know who possess Mario's hat. So Kanba works with her Dad?
Old 2011-10-28, 14:12   Link #53
YayPepsi

Quote:
There's also the odd point that neither Masako nor the maid seem to know that Himari is Kanba's sister.
In the beginning, Masako tells the maid "continue monitoring Kanba and his sister."

Edit: Interesting paper Grandpa's reading:

Last edited by YayPepsi; 2011-10-28 at 14:29.
Old 2011-10-28, 14:26   Link #54
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura89 View Post
Maybe Ikuni is so stingy that he didn't bother to hired any random female VA to do child Kanba Or he just "fascinated" with Subaru Kimura voice that happens to voice Gian in new Doraemon anime.
They did the same thing with Tabuki's flashbacks, so I'm going with "cheap".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
How historical are the Tokyo Metro attack references in the story. They don't really feel that way any longer. The "Survival Strategy" and 'setting the world back on track' ideas are extremely reminiscent of Aum Shinrikyo's evangelical message and teachings. But the penguins and all of Sanetoshi's individual personality make this story its own unique entity. The similarities are more like simple parallels than direct references.
The episode where we saw the attacks, there were references to explosions on the subway, we saw smoke rising through the city, and no one found it suspicious that Momoka's body was never found, none of which matches what I now of the historical attack. I wonder if in this world "Survival Strategy" was the name of the group responsible instead of Aum Shinrikyo.

Hmm, I just went back and rewatched the attack scene, and I notice the last thing Kenzan says is, "Now the world will be put at peace." A connection to Sanetoshi's desire to take back the world and the reference to war in the OP?
Old 2011-10-28, 14:35   Link #55
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
In the beginning, Masako tells the maid "continue monitoring Kanba and his sister."
I checked and you're right, but in the next line she asks who Kanba's new girl is, and then at the hospital the maid only refers to Himari as "this girl" and asks "Why is Master Kanba so taken with this forehead chick? It's my duty to find out."

Quote:
Edit: Interesting paper Grandpa's reading:

So wait, the diary is elephant dung instead of a penguin drum?
Old 2011-10-28, 14:55   Link #56
faburosumakusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post

Not sure about it. He does reject her very firmly .
Yes but because he considers her a stalker not because he's her brother. He doesn't even hint at that being the reason why he rejects her.
Old 2011-10-28, 15:19   Link #57
ookamigirl

This anime is getting even more confusing...
Flashbacks were actually pretty interesting this time.
That grandpa was sure indestructible ^^"

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-10-28, 15:27   Link #58
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The blowfish poison thing reminded me of that Simpsons episode. And here I thought that was just something they made up...
Old 2011-10-28, 17:56   Link #59
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Yes but because he considers her a stalker not because he's her brother. He doesn't even hint at that being the reason why he rejects her.
Does he clearly state why he reject her? Of course he wouldn't say that's because they are possibly half-sis and bro since he also is in love with his own sister and doesn't want to face it, let alone word it.

Anyway we still lack information so it remains pure speculation...

Also, what is the deal with those elephants saving the planet? Noticed the newspaper article at first watch,since it was too neatly written down and easy to read to be random, but couldn't make any connection with other element of the show. Anyone?
Old 2011-10-28, 18:06   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In terms of pure comedy, this episode may have been one of my favorites even though it was random and seemingly did little to advance the actual plot ("Oh My God, Mr. President!") Things have gotten a bit heavy lately, so I think it was well-placed.
Closed Thread