AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-28, 11:36   Link #1221
Warm Mist

It's strange but nice that this will come right after Chuu2, in winter. Kyoani normally did two shows per year (or a TV+movie), skipping seasons in between. Lately, they've made a 2-cour Hyouka, Chuu2 directly following, and now this is directly following Chuu2. If we have a Kadokawa show for Spring, it would be the first year for which Kyoani has made something every season, iirc.

Shows that they're expanding.
Old 2012-11-28, 11:41   Link #1222
rulfo

Judging KyoAni's usual scheduling, they're probably halfway through with this show.

If I were to guess. Spring would be Haruhi S3. I think that's enough time for Ishihara to work on this project.

Still hoping for some fresh directorial debut from certain staff members.
Old 2012-11-28, 12:31   Link #1223
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is also the wild rumors of something from Full Metal Panic coming. Though that is probably just more manga material.
Old 2012-11-28, 12:39   Link #1224
Goggen

It's no surprise that it's not something people were expecting. What did surprise me is that their new project is not for Kadokawa... Then again, after two cours of Hyouka this year and two of Nichijou last year, I suppose TBS/Pony Canyon are due for more than a mere 12 episodes of Chuunibyou.

I wonder, though - Chuunibyou was "almost KyoAni original", now this is a fully original series. I wonder if they're trying to move away from adaptions to some degree.
Old 2012-11-28, 12:51   Link #1225
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
I wonder, though - Chuunibyou was "almost KyoAni original", now this is a fully original series. I wonder if they're trying to move away from adaptions to some degree.
It wouldn't surprise me. Their LN division/writing contests seemed to indicate that plan. TBS/Pony Canyon have had a lot of success with them in the past and wouldn't mind sponsoring original shows like P.A. Works has done. Definitely interesting to see how this turns out.

From the Tamako Market thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This appears to be a continuation of the Pony Canyon block, and Kadokawa will probably come in Spring/Summer. I guess we can wait and see what happens then. It's sort of futile to make this sort of complaint every time an animation studio announces a new product that isn't the one you want (particularly when it's being published by a different company anyway).

(The same thing applies to FMP, which is also Kadokawa. It's up to them if they want Kyoto Animation to make more and think it'll be more worthwhile than whatever else they have planned.)
Furthing this, we've seen that it takes about 2 years for KyoAni to make a show from decision to airing. With how a lot of people weren't working on Chuunibyou, we could tell that something else was in the works. This really explains the gaps between K-On!!/Nichijou and from Nichijou to the K-On! movie. They likely convinced the production committee to sponsor two original works. One KA Esuma work (headed by Ishihara) to promote the LN division and one completely original work (headed by Yamada) to promote the studio. In the meanwhile, Takemoto would work on the Kadokawa show (Hyouka) and the others would create their productions.

As relentless said, this doesn't mean anything regarding Kadokawa productions. Prior to this announcement, we were all speculating it would come in spring anyways. This doesn't change that at all.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-11-28 at 13:32.
Old 2012-11-28, 13:31   Link #1226
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Horoguchi's art style and character designs are cute and attractive in their own way, but I honestly would prefer Nishiya Futoshi to design the characters. His character designs for Hyouka were incredible.
Old 2012-11-28, 13:54   Link #1227
rulfo

I kinda agree that Nishiya seems more diverse. Nichijou was pretty different from their usual designs.

Then again... they based it from the source material whereas Hyouka had no solid character designs to stand on.
Old 2012-11-28, 14:59   Link #1228
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It's kinda a shame that the trailer shows off Horiguchi's style of coloring, but KyoAni obviously isn't going to adopt it going by their website.

Oh well. Super excited anyway just to see how it goes, especially after Chuunibyou. I know people were expecting an original anime, but I didn't believe it at all.

Also, it's a shame that KyoAni doesn't use Twitter PR accounts. At least, I could never find one.
Edit: Never mind. I'm dumb and didn't read the Tamako thread. Thanks ultimatemegax for the link and the info!

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2012-11-28 at 15:16.
Old 2012-11-28, 16:40   Link #1229
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
If we have a Kadokawa show for Spring, it would be the first year for which Kyoani has made something every season, iirc.
2007. Kanon, Lucky Star, Clannad.
Old 2012-11-28, 22:12   Link #1230
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Someone on 2ch pointed this out and it had slipped my mind. Next March, we will have gone through ten years of KyoAni being in charge of animation production for shows. Form 1981-2002, they were only a contracted studio to assist with parts, but in 2003 with Munto and Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu, they began to be in charge of productions. What will we see to celebrate this occasion?

Edit: also self-promoting a blog article about art quality that goes into a little more detail about how we measure resolution of shows. I use a fair amount of KyoAni shows to show their improvement from SD TV shows like Lucky Star to a 1080p movie.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-12-02, 10:19   Link #1231
stormtrooper

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-tamako-market

Tamako Market - KyoAni's new show in January
Old 2012-12-02, 15:29   Link #1232
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post

I'm suddenly thinking of the dramatic cooking scenes from Hyouka...

Old 2012-12-02, 22:27   Link #1233
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Except its only mochi..
Tamako: You dare desecrate mochi? ONLY MOCHI?!
Old 2012-12-02, 23:03   Link #1234
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Except its only mochi..
Tamako: You dare desecrate mochi? ONLY MOCHI?!
It's Japan.

They make tofu-delivery a matter of life or death.

Old 2012-12-02, 23:08   Link #1235
MexicanAnime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post

...Ehhh, can't say i'm pretty thrilled for it. It seems like a K-On replica (well, what moe show doesn't now a days) with no real plot and it seems generic. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt obviously and try to watch it, but it's not something i'm really hyped for nor am I expecting much.
Old 2012-12-03, 03:24   Link #1236
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Mochi eh?

Possibly NSFW:

http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...omic-highres-h

and

http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...ue_hair-closed

"Gonna get pregnant"

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-12-03 at 03:48.
Old 2012-12-03, 03:37   Link #1237
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanAnime View Post
...Ehhh, can't say i'm pretty thrilled for it. It seems like a K-On replica (well, what moe show doesn't now a days) with no real plot and it seems generic. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt obviously and try to watch it, but it's not something i'm really hyped for nor am I expecting much.
I'm not sure if you read the summary that was provided in that article,can't really call it a k-on replica when there's a major male character and seems like there'll be romance.
Old 2012-12-13, 03:16   Link #1238
rulfo

From Tamako thread.

Didn't want to mess that thread up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(There's something bizarrely "hipster" about this whole "eh, KyoAni? They could be cool, but their recent shows are pretty lame. Wake me up when they stop doing the popular stuff they're good at that sells and do something interesting." How did this become a thing? )
They complain about things not being new but they go on about and come back to see their shows anyway. With that mindset, obviously, they'll be disappointed again.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-12-13, 06:19   Link #1239
Warm Mist

The 'problem' with Kyoani is that they make awesome looking shows, yet they don't cater to MANY people's taste. It's only natural that there would be tons of complaints.

But anyway, the complaints are not reasonable in my view either, because it's discriminating against a genre. I haven't ever seen anyone complain about ufotable only doing Type-Moon chuuni stuff since 2008, and I suspect that's because the genre KnK and F/Z fall in is much more respected in the western world than iyashikei slow-paced SoLs. Likewise, I haven't seen anyone ever complain about Ghibli using the same character designs over and over in their works, but Horiguchi (and even unrelated designers like Nishiya and Ikeda) get lots of shit because "Kyoani always rehashes their designs!", something that is not even entirely true to begin with.

But that being said, I too would also like Kyoani to branch out. I enjoy practically everything they make, for the visual presentation if not anything else. But that's exactly the reason I would like them to do more settings, because I love the way they make their anime.

I'd really like if Yamada did a high fantasy anime full of green meadows and exotic creatures, like this:
Spoiler for Youtube vid:

I'd like to see Takemoto directing a drama set at college, with older characters and broader conflicts.
I'd love for Ishihara to do something totally bananas, like this:
Spoiler for YT vid:

I'd love for them to make a steampunk anime, with lots of awesome plane/ship designs and other vaporous things. Or maybe a cyberpunk "grimdark" show even, featuring gargantuan futuristic cities, lasers, and gore.
How about a space opera? A return to mecha shows? Something like their LN Coppelia, which IIRC is set in a mansion and features a rich boy and two doll-maids alla Rozen Maiden. They could also adapt Kyoukai no Kanata, which by the PV and summaries seems like a sekai-kei show full of action and, albeit set in a highschool, would be really nice to see.

I don't really have any gripe with Kyoani, and I enjoy what they do. Hyouka is my personal AOTY, and I'm thoroughly enjoying Chuunibyou as well. But don't tell me that them branching out and handling any of those settings with the technical expertise they're known for wouldn't be (probably) glorious.
Old 2012-12-13, 06:47   Link #1240
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
The 'problem' with Kyoani is that they make awesome looking shows, yet they don't cater to MANY people's taste. It's only natural that there would be tons of complaints.
That's pretty much it, yes.

Even KyoAni's harshest critics recognizes that the studio is a solid cut or two above the rest of the anime world when it comes to animation quality and attention to detail. There might be the odd non-KyoAni show that is on par with KyoAni in this regard, but I can't think of any long-standing studio that is consistently at that level, while KyoAni itself is (I think that P.A. Works' character designs and 'still picture artwork' are just as good as KyoAni's, but P.A. Works' animation quality is not as consistently great).

Many people naturally would like to see this animation quality and attention to detail applied to more than just "iyashikei slow-paced SoLs". While good animation quality can be appreciated almost anywhere, I can't think of a genre that needs it less than "iyashikei slow-paced SoLs". Whereas animation quality is massively important to an action-packed show.

Quote:
But anyway, the complaints are not reasonable in my view either, because it's discriminating against a genre.
It's not discriminating against a genre. It's just recognizing, like you yourself seem to, that it would be nice to see KyoAni branch out more.

KyoAni is special. That's something KyoAni fans and critics agree on (even if the critics are less keen on admitting to it). The fans like them because they're special. The critics think "You do all this awesome work, but you only do it on a very limited range of shows... that's highly disappointing".

Quote:
I haven't ever seen anyone complain about ufotable only doing Type-Moon chuuni stuff since 2008, and I suspect that's because the genre KnK and F/Z fall in is much more respected in the western world than iyashikei slow-paced SoLs.
For a few years, ufotable only did movies and ovas. That's a surefire way to fly below the radar screen of a lot of foreign (i.e. non-Japanese) anime fans because we tend to focus more on TV shows (for various reasons). We tend to only focus on anime movies when they're based on properties that were already popularized in TV format (i.e. Nanoha, Haruhi, K-On, Madoka).

Same thing with Ghibli - It being focused on movies means that fewer people actively talk about it.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of us (including myself) have seen Kara no Kyoukai and/or some Ghibli films, but they don't have that "weekly momentum" that TV shows have, so they don't get talked about as much. So, in time, we don't think about them as much.

Also, some people simply don't like the K-On character design style. Many of those same people are fine with Ghibli character design style.

I don't have a major problem with the K-On character design style, but it does take the moe concept to a certain extreme, imo. I can see why it would be "moeblob" or "too much" for some people. And I myself don't think that look suits everything - I didn't think it suited Haruhi 2009 well, for example.

Quote:
I enjoy practically everything they make, for the visual presentation if not anything else. But that's exactly the reason I would like them to do more settings, because I love the way they make their anime.

I'd really like if Yamada did a high fantasy anime full of green meadows and exotic creatures, like this:
Spoiler for Youtube vid:

I'd like to see Takemoto directing a drama set at college, with older characters and broader conflicts.
I'd love for Ishihara to do something totally bananas, like this:
Spoiler for YT vid:

I'd love for them to make a steampunk anime, with lots of awesome plane/ship designs and lots of vaporous things. Or maybe a cyberpunk "grimdark" show even, featuring gargantuan futuristic cities, lasers, and gore.
How about a space opera? A return to mecha shows? Something like their LN Coppelia, which IIRC is set in a mansion and features a rich boy and two doll-maids alla Rozen Maiden. They could also adapt Kyoukai no Kanata, which by the PV and summaries seems like a sekai-kei show full of action and, albeit set in a highschool, would be really nice to see.

I don't really have any gripe with Kyoani, and I enjoy what they do. Hyouka is my personal AOTY, and I'm thoroughly enjoying Chuunibyou as well. But don't tell me that them branching out and handling any of those settings with the technical expertise they're known for wouldn't be (probably) glorious.
I'm very close to these viewpoints myself. I'd put Hyouka amongst the top 5 or 6 anime shows of the year, and Chuunibyou has been very good. I also like your ideas for how KyoAni could branch out.

Tags
studios