AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2016-09-11, 11:07   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

From dependence to romance

One last thread inspired by a certain web manga's side plot: I'd like examples of cases where a relationship starts out as more one of "dependence" rather than "romance" and the effort of breaking out of this dependence and reassessing the relationship once done. Part of why this interests me is that, while I know plenty well how big a difference there is between love and dependence, a lot of what's said and done looks remarkably similar, making it hard sometimes to recognize much less to fix. For instance, take phrases like "I need you in my life" or "I can't go on without you". These and many other statements and behaviors are rather typical of both a relationship between true lovers and between a dependent and the person (s)he depends on. It's like the difference between a person helping another person up a slope and two people walking hand in hand together. Neither could stand to let go, but the relationship is very different, and if the dependent manages to heal or mature to become independent, a very crucial aspect of the relationship disappears. As I said, it can be hard to tell the difference between dependence and love, and the loss of this relationship can have a major impact on the relationship.

Therefore, I'm looking for series where a girl and boy are in such a relationship, with the one quite literally needing the other in some fundamental way; not really physical, but more emotional and psychological. At some point the dependent either matures naturally or personally decides to change, and this has some really profound affects on the relationship. It might ruin the relationship completely, or the two could become friends but find their own love, or it could even be that one of them never even thought of the other in a romantic way until the newfound independence allowed them to look at one another more clearly.

My one request, as with many of my threads, is that series only be mentioned if they've completed or at least made it past this stage of development; sitting around waiting until I can get the next chapter and see if things finally progress is just too frustrating. I really prefer something where the pair ultimately do find themselves in a proper romantic relationship, with the two side by side supporting and depending on one another while bound by true love; however, feel free to include series where the pair do move on, as long as everyone's happy.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 11:43   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Various "senpai" romances probably fit
Nodame Cantabile
Toshokan Sensou
Planetes

Nodame concludes in the second sequel appropriately named "Finale." The Planetes manga and anime both concluded in 2004, and the anime ends definitively. Toshokan Sensou is part of a larger project based on a series of novels with an animated movie sequel and two live-action movies as well. The second of those sounds like it might end the story since it's subtitled "The Last Mission."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 18:33   Link #3
kitten320

You always look for so many different anime... do you even get a chance to watch any of them?
Old 2016-09-12, 08:53   Link #4
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
You always look for so many different anime... do you even get a chance to watch any of them?
Some, and others I put on a list, and of course some I either have watched or know enough about to know it doesn't fit what I'm looking for at the moment. But I also look very hard for manga, which I'm able to read much faster than I could watch anime.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2016-09-12 at 09:51.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 23:24   Link #5
Shana

I think Rose of Versailles might fit the bill here.
Old 2016-09-13, 08:48   Link #6
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

ToraDora is a perfect fit for this trope.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-29, 02:13   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
This is basically the main obstacle to be overcome in Taiyou no Ie aka House of the Sun.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote