AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-09-17, 03:07   Link #21
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Without CoreAVC, what performance difference do you see when you play the video with the subtitles disabled? ...Noted specifically, scenes where karaoke subtitle effects are in use. From what I have seen of MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer and vsfilter under WinXP, they are terribly inefficient. The only working solution for Hi10p video playback, was to use SMPlayer with mplayer2.
Well, if I set ffdshow to decode for H.264/AVC and turn off subtitles, the latest CCCP-based MPC-HC plays the OP fine. When I add the subs, the audio will keep up with the video for a short time before intermittently cutting out - it still keeps pace with the subs and the video (and MPC-HC won't respond to pausing).

This leads me to think that the video card (nVIDIA Quadro 400M - probably 128 or 256 MB) doesn't have enough cache to properly process everything at once, the internal sub renderer (while running Windows 7 x64) is too inefficient (if anyone has a fix for this, please post it), or a combination of the two. I'm erring towards the latter, though, since two other boxes with easily more graphics power/cache are running into the same problem.

For those who are wondering, the file is Precure All Stars DX3 - Movie (BD 1080p). My college's anime club president wants to run stress tests on the showing rigs to make sure that they can handle the new hi10p encodes, and this file remains the destroyer of worlds.

Last edited by Dante of the Inferno; 2011-09-17 at 03:36.
Old 2011-09-17, 03:22   Link #22
sneaker

If it's really the subs, give the VLC build I posted above (or the players recommended by Green²) a try. libass does make a difference.
Old 2011-09-17, 03:53   Link #23
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
If it's really the subs, give the VLC build I posted above (or the players recommended by Green²) a try. libass does make a difference.
Tried it, but it suffered from lower frame rates and video lag. VLC is never EVER better than MPC-HC on any file I have ever tried (from the modern to the ancient to the downright esoteric).
Old 2011-09-17, 04:04   Link #24
sneaker

I don't know how fast VLC's 10bit->8bit dithering is, but its H.264 decoder is the same as the one used by MPC-HC, LAV Video, ffdshow and madVR and its subtitle renderer is considerably faster. I've seen subtitles push my Core i7 to the limit using MPC-HC's subtitle renderer, while it was a piece of cake for VLC's renderer.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:06   Link #25
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The only working solution for Hi10p video playback, was to use SMPlayer with mplayer2.
As I mentioned above mplayer2 failed to render my test clip correctly, but a recent build of mplayer did. My copy of mplayer2 is compiled from the current source code release dated 3/24/2011. Is there another more recent version that I don't see on the mplayer2 site?
Old 2011-09-17, 11:46   Link #26
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As I mentioned above mplayer2 failed to render my test clip correctly, but a recent build of mplayer did. My copy of mplayer2 is compiled from the current source code release dated 3/24/2011. Is there another more recent version that I don't see on the mplayer2 site?
For Linux, build mplayer2 from the Git repositories. (mplayer2-build.git)

For Windows, use lachs0r’s MPlayer2 builds for Windows.

WinXP users will also need a newer copy of USP10.DLL, which can be placed within your mplayer2 directory. You can extract this file from Office 2010 SP1.
Use 7-Zip to extract the USP10.DLL_0002 file found within Office 2010 SP1.

officesuite2010sp1-kb2460049-x86-fullfile-en-us.exe\officesuitewwsp1-x-none.msp\PATCH_CAB\USP10.DLL_0002

Rename USP10.DLL_0002 to USP10.DLL
Old 2011-09-17, 12:26   Link #27
cyberbeing

Quote:
WinXP users will also need a newer copy of USP10.DLL, which can be placed within your mplayer2 directory. You can extract this file from Office 2010 SP1.
Use 7-Zip to extract the USP10.DLL_0002 file found within Office 2010 SP1.

officesuite2010sp1-kb2460049-x86-fullfile-en-us.exe\officesuitewwsp1-x-none.msp\PATCH_CAB\USP10.DLL_0002

Rename USP10.DLL_0002 to USP10.DLL
You no longer need to do this, since lachs0r's mplayer2 builds have included HarfBuzz without using Uniscribe or requiring the USP10.dll for around a month now. Despite all my complaints awhile back, after lachs0r knocked out a few HarfBuzz bugs, all builds 20110822 and newer seem to be working well out-of-box on WinXP SP3, so just grab the latest. The only thing you really need to change on WinXP, is using the DirectSound audio renderer instead of his default of OpenAL (since the mplayer OpenAL driver seems buggy, causing stuttering and high CPU usage on WinXP with Creative sound cards). As a bonus, HarfBuzz actually seems to make libass even faster with lower CPU usage, which is nice.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 2011-09-17 at 13:03.
Old 2011-09-17, 13:25   Link #28
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I've been using the Lachs0r builds in my testing too. Decided to give it another try (using the same August 31 build), and oddly the performance is much, much better than remember it being - it is indeed faster than even overlay mixer CCCP.

CPU usage is consistantly lower and while my notebook (Lenovo Thinkpad X120e, AMD Fusion E-350 APU, 2GB DDR3, Windows 7 HP) does still drop frames and lose audio during the opening sequences of the 720P, Hi10P bluray rips I test with, they're now split second occurances. In CCCP, I wouldn't get dropped frames or audio but the video would lag for several seconds, which is probably more annoying.

Since this is 720P (albeit at some higher than average bit rates) we're talking about and the softsub effects we'ren't super intense, I'd tend to advise anime fans to get something more powerful than an E-350 APU. Which is a shame since I've been otherwise floored by how good the X120e is, especially for a $400 computer. But at least it appears a lot of stuff will be watchable.

The one thing that does bug me about Mplayer (aside from some issues with loading external audio files, which I rarely do) so far is how inaccurate the seek
function is... when I move the seek slider, the player will say "jump to xx:xx"... and then when I actually do it, I'll end up a minute away from the stated time. Somewhat annoying.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-09-17, 15:32   Link #29
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by calorie View Post
Where can I find this 2.2 version?
Silly me, I meant 1.2, or whatever the newest version is.

Download the portable .zip version for quick Hi10p playback.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2011-09-17, 20:13   Link #30
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Tried it, but it suffered from lower frame rates and video lag. VLC is never EVER better than MPC-HC on any file I have ever tried (from the modern to the ancient to the downright esoteric).
If on SMPlayer/mplayer2, try setting the video output driver to directx (fast) under General/Video tab. In my experience this tends to provide smoother video playback when compared to the direct3d video output driver.
Old 2011-09-17, 23:33   Link #31
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
If on SMPlayer/mplayer2, try setting the video output driver to directx (fast) under General/Video tab. In my experience this tends to provide smoother video playback when compared to the direct3d video output driver.
I tried out your earlier link to the mplayer2 for Windows. I tried out the latest and 2nd latest builds, but they run like binaries (they flash in cmd console for a split second). The best I could do was take a print screen of the controls (again, from cmd), but there's no option for tabs or anything.

Am I missing something?
Old 2011-09-18, 02:20   Link #32
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
I tried out your earlier link to the mplayer2 for Windows. I tried out the latest and 2nd latest builds, but they run like binaries (they flash in cmd console for a split second). The best I could do was take a print screen of the controls (again, from cmd), but there's no option for tabs or anything.

Am I missing something?
Install a frontend such as SMPlayer. From within there you go into Options/Preferences, and then within the General tab of the general settings, for Mplayer executable, you point it to that mplayer2.exe file. You then launch the videos using SMPlayer.

The version of SMPlayer that I am using is smplayer-0.6.9_without_mplayer.7z. *Run smplayer.exe to launch SMPlayer.

Last edited by Green²; 2011-09-18 at 02:30. Reason: *
Old 2011-09-18, 15:50   Link #33
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Well, that actually seems to work. I dare not test skipping around the OP, but everywhere else, the video seems to skip around fine, and the playback for the OP works. The other rigs will probably hold up a bit better simply because their video cards have at least twice the cache as mine does. Thanks for all your help.

Incidentally, we should probably pin a guide of some sort to the top of the forum, since it sounds as though Hi10p isn't going away anytime soon.
Old 2011-09-18, 17:26   Link #34
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Windows: bare smplayer + lachs0r's mplayer2 binaries
Linux: smplayer + mplayer2-build

Sure, there's no dxva yet, but vdpau or gl works for nice readable subs at any resolution.

CoreAVC 3.0 does work nicely with Linux mplayer2 if you're curious.
Old 2011-09-18, 22:37   Link #35
Green²
It's bacon!

Installing & Configuring SMPlayer2 & mplayer2 for Windows (Automatic Installation) v1.0

An automatic installer/updater for the automatic installation is available on the lachs0r’s mplayer2 builds for Windows page. (The mini_installer.exe file is what you are looking for.)

SMPlayer2 is similar to the original SMPlayer, but with some tweaks and fixes to provide better compatibility with mplayer2. The removal of SMPlayer is not required to install SMPlayer2. Updating of SMPlayer2 and/or mplayer2 of the automatic installation (I suspect) can be done by rerunning the mini-installer.exe again.

Tweaks:

A) The current OSD text size of SMPlayer2 if too large, can be configured to a smaller size. Within the SMPlayer2 Preferences, for the Options for MPlayer tab of the Advanced menu, within the Options line, add to it:
Code:
-subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 50
...so as to reduce the OSD size by half.

Installing & Configuring SMPlayer & mplayer2 for Windows (Manual Installation) v1.3.1

Programs & Files that you will need:
smplayer-0.6.9_without_mplayer - http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
lachs0r’s MPlayer2 builds for Windows (Regular Build) - http://mplayer2.srsfckn.biz/
7-Zip - http://www.7-zip.org/

Procedure:
0) When you download the SMPlayer and mplayer2 packages, they are both compressed using the 7z format. Use the program 7-Zip to decompress these.

1) When you download and had decompressed the SMPlayer package, there is no installer of SMPlayer needed to run. Just place the SMPlayer folder somewhere safe (Such as within the Program Files folder), and create a shortcut of file smplayer.exe for easy launching of the SMPlayer program.

2) When you download and had decompressed the mplayer2 file, there is no installer of mplayer2 needed to run. Just place the mplayer2.exe file somewhere safe (Such as within the Program Files folder), and note the file's new file location for later use.

3) Launch the SMPlayer program by running the smplayer.exe or the shortcut file created earlier. Within SMPlayer, go to the above menu and select from Options, Preferences. Within the General tab of the General settings, for Mplayer executable, here you will point the program to where the mplayer2.exe file is located (Noted from step 2).

4) Within SMPlayer's preferences, within the Video tab of General settings, for Output driver, select directx (fast) from the drop-down menu. Then within the Audio tab of General settings, for Output driver, select dsound from the drop-down menu.

At this point, you should be able to launch videos using SMPlayer.

Further Tweaking of SMPlayer:
A) Under SMPlayer's preferences, within the Seeking tab of Interface settings, set Short jump to 00:05, and Mouse wheel jump to 00:03. (Or as desired.) Behaviour of time slider should be set to Seek to position when released.

B) For processors with more than one core, under SMPlayer's preferences, within the Performance tab of Performance settings, set Threads for decoding to the desired number.

C) If performance is still too poor, under SMPlayer's preferences, within the Performance tab of Performance settings, set Loop filter to either Skip (always) or Skip only on HD videos.

D) If the seeking the time position though the video isn't all too precise, within the smplayer.ini configuration file (Found within your user Documents and Settings folder, within folder .smplayer.), under [gui], try changing relative_seeking=true to relative_seeking=false. The SMPlayer program may need to be closed before saving the file. Relaunch SMPlayer to see the new changes.

E) If video and or audio glitches are seen as a result of interference from other active running programs, if desired, you can set the priority for the MPlayer process through SMPlayer's preferences, where within the Performance tab of Performance settings, set Priority to either abovenormal or high. Do not use realtime, as this will likely result in other performance issues with your computer. Bill Maher will likely not help you if you ask.

F) For a better quality video playback experience, see cyberbeing's mplayer2/SMPlayer configuration guide. *Note* For ease of use, of Video Output Driver, select from the drop-down menu, gl.

G) Should SMPlayer fail to open media files due to special characters present within the media file name, a workaround would be to enable the Pass short filenames (8+3) to MPlayer option found within SMPlayer's Advanced tab of the Advanced menu.

Updating mplayer2:
1) Simply repeat steps 2 & 3 above.

Building SMPlayer2 on Ubuntu 11.04
(Required: Qt4, cmake, git, zlib, build-essential, and whatever else I may have forgotten.)

Code:
git clone git://github.com/lachs0r/SMPlayer2.git
cd (to the SMPlayer2 directory)
cmake .
make
Launch SMPlayer2 from the build directory, located within the src folder. (smplayer2 executable)

Changelog of Installing & Configuring SMPlayer & mplayer2 for Windows (Manual Installation):
v1.2: Added section F for cyberbeing's mplayer2/SMPlayer configuration guide.
v1.3: Added section G.
v1.3.1: 1) Separation of the other install methods. (Automatic & Manual Installation, and Ubuntu) 2) For section F, recommend using gl render of the drop-down menu for ease of use.

Last edited by Green²; 2011-11-17 at 05:09. Reason: v1.3
Old 2011-09-19, 11:18   Link #36
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Why is directx recommended?

Doesn't it disable Aero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
And hi10p cannot be decoded with hardware acceleration at the moment.
Is that why -vo vdpau -vc ffh264 works but -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau doesn't?

Last edited by Starks; 2011-09-19 at 14:00.
Old 2011-09-19, 14:20   Link #37
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
yes, yes it is
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2011-09-19, 15:27   Link #38
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
Why is directx recommended?

Doesn't it disable Aero?
Likely. Video output driver directx should disable Aero. Use video output driver direct3d if Aero is absolutely needed. You could also use video output driver GL, but it is not stable with most hardware under Windows.

Quote:
DXVA, DXVA2, VDPAU, and VA-API (GPU acceleration) will not decode Hi10p. Not at least until there is a GPU hardware update to support Hi10p. Linux (PC) users should use video output driver GL when possible; XV if more performance is needed and/or if screen tearing is present on multimonitor setups.

Edit:
Using -vo vdpau -vc ffh264 will be better than running -vo xv in subtitles as they will render to your desktop resolution and there should be no screen tearing present. Video output driver vdpau should however not be used if using compositing (Compiz). -vo xv will provide greater video performance though, being that -vo vdpau -vc ffh264 will perform similar to -vo gl.

Last edited by Green²; 2011-09-19 at 16:13.
Old 2011-09-20, 00:01   Link #39
Green²
It's bacon!

The following procedure is strongly not recommended, and should only be done as a last resort to workaround playback performance issues seen with MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer and vsfilter. Use SMPlayer with mplayer2 if you can.

A very ugly workaround that I observed in MPC-HC, would be to use ffdshow's subtitle renderer, which seems to not support animated subtitles.

Both the internal subtitle renderer of MPC-HC and the external subtitle renderer vsfilter (DirectVobSub) will need to be disabled for this to function. Use MPC-HC's external filters options to add DirectVobSub & DirectVobSub (auto-loading version) to block. Untick Auto-load subtitles under MPC-HC's playback options to disable the internal.

Under the ffdshow video decoder configuration, enable Subtitles. And then within the Subtitles configuration, enable Embedded subtitles.

Relaunch MPC-HC to make sure changes have taken effect.
Old 2011-09-22, 20:41   Link #40
cyberbeing

Quote:
You could also use video output driver GL, but it is not stable with most hardware under Windows.
That is somewhat misleading. With a modern ATI/AMD GPU from the past couple years or so and basically all NVIDIA GPUs from the past 7+ years, the GL renderer is stable, offers higher quality subtitles, is usually faster than both DirectX(Fast) and Direct3D renderers. This is why the GL render has been the default for MPlayer on Windows since forever. lachs0r only changed the default in his MPlayer2 builds to likely reduce headaches for people with Intel integrated graphics or older ATI chips & drivers where OpenGL support/performance/stability is really a crap-shoot.

Instead of the smplayer 'without mplayer' builds, you can also use the smplayer 'portable' with lachs0r's MPlayer2 builds, which is what I usually do. You just need to make sure to grab the mplayer2 codecs.conf and input.conf to overwrite the versions in your \SMPlayer\mplayer\mplayer\ directory, and of course rename mplayer2.exe to mplayer.exe and overwite the file in \SMPlayer\mplayer\.

I have smplayer-portable-0.6.9.3615 configured with MPlayer2 as follows on both WinXP + NVIDIA 7800GTX 512 and Win7 + ATI 5750:

General->Video

Output Driver: User Defined

Code:
gl:yuv=3:colorspace=2:rectangle=2:lscale=0:cscale=0:force-pbo
(yuv=3 is hardware YUV->RGB, colorspace=2 forces REC.709 since MPlayer defaults to REC.601 even for HD, rectangle=2 to allow the GPU to render odd texture sizes directly, lscale=0 & cscale=0 Bilinear to match MPlayer defaults, force-pbo which is usually faster on modern GPUs)

Direct Rendering = Enabled (usually faster)

Double Buffering = Enabled (usually more stable)

Draw Video using Slices = Disabled (not needed)

General->Audio

Output Driver: DirectSound (if you have issues, use OpenAL instead)

Audio Equalizer: Disabled (not needed)

Software Volume: Disabled (not needed)

General->Preferred Audio and Subtitles

Audio: jpn|eng (prefer japanese audio tracks)

Subtitles: eng (prefer english subtitles)

Performance->Cache

Cache for local files: 8192 (SMPlayer will forcibly disable the cache which is by default enabled in MPlayer2 unless you input a value here, 8MB should be fine)

Subtitle->Subtitles

Autoload: Same as movie name (to match MPC-HC behavior)

Default Subtitle Encoding: UTF-8 (ignored for styled subs)

Try to autodetect: English (ignored for styled subs)

Freetype support: Disabled (this prevents SMPlayer from overriding some MPlayer2 defaults. If you disable it here, it is actually still enabled for subtitles, but not the SMPlayer rendered OSD if you care about that)

Fonts and Colors: Enable normal subtitles (again this prevents SMPlayer from overriding some MPlayer2 defaults for styled subs, SSA/ASS and Embeded fonts are still enabled)

Font | TTF Font: subfont.ttf (ignored for styled subs, browse and select from /SMPlayer/mplayer/mplayer/subfont.ttf)

Keyboard and mouse->Keyboard

- 10 minutes : CTRL+Left (to free PgDwn)

+ 10 minutes: CTRL+Right (to free PgUp)

Next Chapter: PgDwn (to match MPC-HC behavior)

Prev Chapter: PgUp (to match MPC-HC behavior)

Keyboard and mouse->Mouse

Double Click: Play/Pause (personal preference)

Middle Click: Fullscreen (personal preference)

Wheel Function: Volume Control (personal preference)

Advanced->Advanced

Correct PTS: Yes (for more accurate subtitle timing)

Repaint Background: Disabled (not needed)

Advanced->Options for MPlayer

Options: Remove -nofontconfig from this box (very important or you won't have styled subs)

Video Filter: format=yv12 (important, forces 10bit to be dithered, faster, avoids compatibility problems some cards have with 10bit OpenGL output)

Option Menu

OSD: Subtitles Only (since I disabled Freetype for the SMPlayer OSD above, I also disable the OSD which I find useless, and it's ugly without Freetype)

Last edited by cyberbeing; 2011-09-23 at 03:10. Reason: fixed gl command line (hit the 50 character word length limit and an extra space was added in the middle...)