AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2014-05-26, 19:58   Link #121
ghastmine

Ok....wait one flaw though.....Reiner and bront there still alive ever heard of a distraction but yes you do have a point and this kids is why you don't have a monarch there a son of a bitch....
ghastmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 11:40   Link #122
Internet Swag

Why did Annie kill Gunther? Seems to have no motive for that?
Internet Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 23:05   Link #123
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Swag View Post
Why did Annie kill Gunther? Seems to have no motive for that?
She is willing to kill anyone for achieving her motive. I don't remember Gunther. He is probably that random vicitm who spots a strange person in the wood.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-15, 04:48   Link #124
kitten320

She needed Eren, Survey Corps clearly would not give him up willingly.

Besides she murdered him after Gunther got suspicious, better take action now then let him warn his friends and make things even more complicated.
Old 2014-09-01, 04:27   Link #125
Ricecakes

Last time I check murder is wrong. Annie is a murderer. I don't care what someones cause is killing a human in cold blood is wrong. Oh and she's not just a murderer she is a torturer the way she was spinning that solider around was effed up.

But I like her hair.

Last edited by Ricecakes; 2014-10-12 at 19:03.
Ricecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 10:05   Link #126
Subayai

Annie just killed some enemy soldiers who were trying to kill her. It wasn't murder. She had to defend herself. If she hadn't taken care of them there, they would have tried to kill her again later. Whether she crushed them under her foot or made them spin very fast it's not so important. She just used the quickest method every time depending on the situation (and also on a meta level the author had to show some variety).

We can see at various moments during the story that Annie is not a bad person: like during her interaction with Marlo or when she spares Armin's life despite the fact that it could gravely endanger her mission.

The way I see it, both Annie and the Survey Corps are trying to do some good in the world but their objectives clash against each other (apparently at least) and this leads to fighting and some deaths.

It's this contrast between her fighting against the main characters but not being actually evil that makes Annie one of the most interesting characters in the series.
Subayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-28, 00:41   Link #127
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subayai View Post
Annie just killed some enemy soldiers who were trying to kill her. It wasn't murder. She had to defend herself. If she hadn't taken care of them there, they would have tried to kill her again later. Whether she crushed them under her foot or made them spin very fast it's not so important. She just used the quickest method every time depending on the situation (and also on a meta level the author had to show some variety).

We can see at various moments during the story that Annie is not a bad person: like during her interaction with Marlo or when she spares Armin's life despite the fact that it could gravely endanger her mission.

The way I see it, both Annie and the Survey Corps are trying to do some good in the world but their objectives clash against each other (apparently at least) and this leads to fighting and some deaths.

It's this contrast between her fighting against the main characters but not being actually evil that makes Annie one of the most interesting characters in the series.
You must be joking. Just about every person that she killed was killed in some brutal way. Her and the entire Titan Changers deserve nothing more than slow torture. a Agonizing needle to their body for every human a titan has killed.

I don't care for her "reasons" I feel no sympathy for her crying or her daddy flash backs. I cheered on her brutal death. Just as I would have for Hitler. Because he also did what he thought was right.
Old 2014-09-28, 18:52   Link #128
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I don't want to judge it before it's explained in some way in the manga, but it's hard to see a good justification for triggering the death of a third of what seems to be greatest yet living human civilisation in the world... the fall of wall maria seems to be the equivalent of killing the whole population of both China and India in our world. That's not a crime you can justificate easily, no matter how much fanboyism one inserts into one's post or how much one says "it was the environment that shaped her to do that".
Old 2014-09-29, 04:05   Link #129
Subayai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I don't want to judge it before it's explained in some way in the manga, but it's hard to see a good justification for triggering the death of a third of what seems to be greatest yet living human civilisation in the world... the fall of wall maria seems to be the equivalent of killing the whole population of both China and India in our world. That's not a crime you can justificate easily, no matter how much fanboyism one inserts into one's post or how much one says "it was the environment that shaped her to do that".
My point of view is that Annie was sent here by someone. It could be that this someone has evil intentions but Annie does not. That does not mean that she is free of crime but whatever crimes she comitted it was the result of her making bad choices and not because she has an evil personality.

You don't have to agree with my point of view of course. If you think that Annie came here of her own volition to kill everyone because she just wants to see the world burn, that's okay. But from what I have seen from her so far, she doesn't seem to be that kind of person.

We know Attack on Titan is full of plot twists and characters who initially seem one thing turn out to have a hidden side. That Annie and by extension all titan shifters aren't actually the evil monsters that they appear to be at the beggining of the story seems like a plausible plot twist to me. As I said before, that doesn't necessarily mean they are free of crime.
Subayai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 11:53   Link #130
zibi88

Annie isnt bad at heart as she tried to at least appoligize to the dead people after that fight with titans (she was standing above Ninas corpse)... she knows its her and R&B doing and she feels really bad becouse those that died were innocent people that knew nothing about the world behind the walls (since it was hidden by Centrail Police and nobles).

R&B didnt give a f..k and even if Bert yelled out that who likes to kill people... doesnt make him good as he could just explain the situation since if they explained that they need erens power outside the walls he would gladly go as he allways wanted to go beyond the walls and now he has the power to survive there... they could fix the walls and spare lifes of all those innocent people and go to their village to help

Annie later on abondoned her mission to take eren and just wanted to go home but failed... she could have done things the calm way but she made mistake and now she is in that crystal...

well maybe annie might save eren and help him out to fix the walls after she explains the situation to him... so later on he might go with her to her home village to help... after all those people she killed it could be good to try and help them out to payback at least a little for what she did

Bert and Reiner are dead with no sorry.. as they were the ones that crushed the walls and gave no f...k when eren said of what happened (to his mom)
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-12, 18:26   Link #131
Ricecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subayai View Post
Annie just killed some enemy soldiers who were trying to kill her. It wasn't murder.
You say that like the Survey Corps should have known better. That Annie was a titan with a heart of gold. She would have stomp on them. And she made it obvious she was after something (Eren) they had to try to stop her.
Ricecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-01, 20:46   Link #132
KnightShade

to all the people saying she's evil by default, all is fair in love and war. life as we know is not black and white. cops, soldiers, even bodyguards have killed people, does that make them evil by default? by that same logic, a good number of biblical figures, mythological figures ect are evil as well. saul was a genocidal tyrant before he become paul.

ot from that first convo she had with eren, i could tell there is a lot more to her then whats on the surface. think about this, she didn't have to point out to him that the military was corrupt, she didnt have to teach him how to fight. there are just too many signals to suggest that she's an inherently bad person. i'm not saying she's a saint but then again i don't believe in saints period. especially when it comes to war.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-09, 16:51   Link #133
Old Rick

Smile

Annie should not be judged in isolation but justly by comparison
of her conduct with that of the others, and her supposed motivation
by what she is with that of the others also.

Annie's character in the anime and first seven volumes of the
manga is and needs to be viewed as a counter to the other
charcters: Eren, Mikasa, Renier, Bertolt, Connie, and Sasha.
With Mikasa in particular this needs to be done; both are high
ranking cadets,but one is the top ranker for whom allowances
are made and the other though very skilled of a little lower
rank is isolated without supportihng encouragement.

In reviewing the past pages of posts there are frequent judgements
of Annie as either good or evil, and occasional pleas to see her with
sympathetic allowances, without citations of actions.

This is what I propose to do in the posts that hopefully will follow.

You work with then, you eat with then, and supposedly this results
in some degree of loyalty on a job. In the military you sleep with
them, train with them, and entrust your back to them, expecting
them to do their part. It is even more demanding in loyalty.

There are differences between the manga and between the two
anime versions of this tale. The Blue Ray is unusually well writen and
drawn to amplify the plot of the manga, in general and Annie in
particular.

For example:
After the fall of Wall Maria and the Shigenshina district, and after Eren
and Mikasa are evacuated by boat to the Trost district there is a
sequence that is not in the manga where a spoiled brat, Eren attacks a
solider grumbling becuase of reduced rations, and then refuses to eat
the bread until forced to by Mikasa. The entire time both Mikasa and
Armin have been making excuses for him to the soliders, and next
attempting to reason with him to get him to eat.

Just before they leave the street Annie walks by utterly alone among
the people. The drawing momentarily centers on her as she passes by
alone with no one to support or council her among the crowd and
refugees. It is chronologically, I believe her earliest appearance in the
main tale, not a later back story.
Old Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 12:30   Link #134
Old Rick

Smile

The mangaka has left himselrf plenty of roon, by skillfully not
explicitly depicting but hinting. This leaves him free to pull plot
suprises.

Again, inferences by characters, even asides by the mangaka
may not be the truth.

A perfect example of this is the death of Marco, in the anime
Annie is seen apologizing to his not too damaged body, while
in the manga she actually faces another dead body not Marco's
by the wall. Helped by unwittnessed inferences by drawn
characters, it is commonly believed she killed him.

She may not have.

Of the four known tiatns in the 104th, Annie, Renier,Bertolt, and
Ymir, three of them Annie, Renier, and Ymir had enough group
identification with the 104th to aid fellow members, Connie, and
Krista specifically in the manga, and also Jean in the anime. But,
one of them never helped a human comrade. This is Bertolt. If
Marco died a non accidental death, he, Bertolt with the least group
identification is the most likely to have killed him.

Remember, Marco was consistently drawn on the roofs of Trost
by Bertolt, who also stands next to Renier and Annie in that order.

Annie may well have known who killed him but felt constrained by
her circumstances on saying or doing anything. As drawn she could
simply as she said in Stohess have been retrieving euipment from
the dead as is normal after a battle.

This started out to be part of a current manga reply, but since it
would make that too long, it is placed here where it has relevance.
Old 2015-03-04, 10:34   Link #135
Old Rick

Smile

I wish to better define and clarify my post from yesterday.

Yes, all four known titans do try to discourage their close comrades
in the 104th from being soliders and joining the survey corp, as
Bertolt does too in chapter 16. But, there is a quantum difference
between that and risking your own neck to protect or spare them in
combat and this Annie, Renier, and Ymir do, but Bertolt never does.

It is an indication or bonding and identity with other members of the
104th, that he, Bertolt does not have.
Old 2016-03-03, 00:27   Link #136
shucia

annie was obviously not on human side inside the wall, she had a mission and that mission is capture eren and what you expect when all those scouts attacking her from all side? it was a kill or be killed situation so give me a break about her as a murderer, they are in battlefield after all.
shucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-19, 13:05   Link #137
Opaqua

I feel Annie is one of the most interesting characters in SNK, and that is saying a lot considering the competition she has for that title.

She hasn't awoken for 3 full years and yet the love for her still runs strong. Whatever she does when, or if, she wakes up...well I will always root for her. You can clearly see that she is suffering through it all, and the funny thing is that when her father said the entire world will hate her, it seems true for the audience of the show too.

So many people choose to turn the other cheek against her, and that's perfectly fine. Everyone can like which character they want. But Annie, to me, represents the soul of SNK's theme. Suffering, stepping on a minefield with every decision she makes but always standing up in the end, and trying to survive despite every trial.

She is such a beautiful character, and I for one forgive her of everything she's done- her complexity makes up for it, and truth be told she didn't kill anyone that I cared about. So there's my bias. Still, I wish that when she returns she does it with a bang. Her role in the store is pivotal either way.
Opaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-20, 14:20   Link #138
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Hmm, Perspective can do a great many things on looking at how you see a character.
The OVA Lost girls shows us more of Annie and how she is.
To me it feels like Annie's just dealing with the hand that's been dealt to her, she doesn't apparently have the mental fortitude to change something in her opinion.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters