AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-02-19, 05:35   Link #41
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

If GN stands for Gundam particles then it actually make sense to call the humanoid robots that use GN-particles for Gundam (machines). If so, then I got to say that 00 usage of the name Gundam is the most logical one.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 06:07   Link #42
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
If GN stands for Gundam particles then it actually make sense to call the humanoid robots that use GN-particles for Gundam (machines). If so, then I got to say that 00 usage of the name Gundam is the most logical one.
But are all such machines named Gundam?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 07:40   Link #43
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
"Gundam Nucleus" particles actually. But why is that? So if cars use gasoline it makes most sense to call them 'gas'?

Plus it doesn't really explain why GN particles are called "Gundam Nucleus" particles, so it doesn't explain the name Gundam at all.

Anyway, the 00 usage is basically the same as FC's and AC's... The suit is named after something special that is used by the suit (Gundarium/Gundanium/Gundam Nucleus Particles).
Old 2011-02-19, 14:14   Link #44
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
I think it's most likely that Aeolia created the name Gundam randomly (as far as we know at the moment at least) for the legendary machines that will conduct the symbolic intervention phase of the Plan, he then decided to name the special particles that he discovered that these machines will be using after them, since they're sort of byproducts of the Gundam (it may not be the case anymore if the technology spreads to everyone but CB would ideally want to keep it for themselves and associate it strongly with their Gundam as part as their entire symbolism), which would likely be the reasoning for the Gundam Nucleus name since the GN Particles were created by Celestial Being as things that their legendary Gundams would use to complete their goals.

This is likely only from CB's POV of course, the ESF may have decided to keep the technical Gundam Nucleus name for scientific purposes but aren't going to follow in with the Gundam symbolism thingy that associated with CB as far as their mobile suits go. So in the end it's all symbolism and how different factions use that symbolism.

Who knows, maybe he thought "guns" plus a large powerful "dam" was good syllables to form for the mobile weapons he want to be absurdly powerful? lol
Old 2011-02-19, 23:00   Link #45
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
GN Particles = Lacus Dust
Old 2011-02-20, 06:31   Link #46
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
"Gundam Nucleus" particles actually. But why is that? So if cars use gasoline it makes most sense to call them 'gas'?
Well, itīs not uncommon to say gasoline car, electrical car and so forth to specify what youīre talking about.

Quote:
Plus it doesn't really explain why GN particles are called "Gundam Nucleus" particles, so it doesn't explain the name Gundam at all.
I donīt think itīs necessary to explain why the original was named "XXX" to explain why something else was named after it.

Quote:
Anyway, the 00 usage is basically the same as FC's and AC's... The suit is named after something special that is used by the suit (Gundarium/Gundanium/Gundam Nucleus Particles).
That I can only agree with, itīs true after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Who knows, maybe he thought "guns" plus a large powerful "dam" was good syllables to form for the mobile weapons he want to be absurdly powerful? lol
I feel a little bad about just quoting this when your excellent post was about so much more but I donīt really have anything else to add to that rather than to say. "Hmm, you could very much be right about that." Whilst this is really funny and I somewhat wish it were true.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 09:30   Link #47
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Well, itīs not uncommon to say gasoline car, electrical car and so forth to specify what youīre talking about.
Yeah, but if "Gundam" is indeed named after "Gundam Nucleus Particles" like you suggested (and not the other way around as SonicSP suggested), then it doesn't make much sense, which was my point. Calling a car a Gasoline Car or Electrical Car is different from calling a car a "gasoline" or a "battery".

Quote:
I donīt think itīs necessary to explain why the original was named "XXX" to explain why something else was named after it.
The thread is about what the word "Gundam" means in the various timelines, so I added that thought in since I don't think AD ever addressed that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP
That's basically how Tomino came up with the name...

Last edited by brightman; 2011-02-20 at 09:48.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 10:57   Link #48
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Thank God it's not Gunboy like he originally wanted... Makes me wonder what the acronym would be for that...

Generally
Universal
Nefarious
Beasts
Over
Yonder

Then again there is For the Barrel that uses his old name :P
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 18:32   Link #49
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
That's basically how Tomino came up with the name...
That's basically the pun.
Old 2011-02-20, 20:55   Link #50
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerowinger View Post
anyone that can paste me the full meanning of the word GUNDAM pleasE ? =)
I believe it was originally short for Gundanium alloy, which referred to the metal it was made from.

In reality I think it stands for:

Generates
Unlimited
New
DVDs
Anime
Manga

Old 2011-02-20, 21:12   Link #51
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I believe it was originally short for Gundanium alloy, which referred to the metal it was made from.

In reality I think it stands for:

Generates
Unlimited
New
DVDs
Anime
Manga

That's a good one.