AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 1 5.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 5.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 44.44%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 27.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 11.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-11, 16:47   Link #21
Tiranas

The one big problem with this show (and the manga as far as I read it) is indeed that absolutely everyone (well, maybe not Asahina) is more interesting than the main character Nagato. This extends to her relationship with Kyon and since there seems to be a bigger focus on the romance aspect than in the original show/novels it's probably not a good sign that I don't feel invested in the supposed "main couple". (Full disclosure: I could be biased due to my shipping preferences from the original show/novels)

Haruhi's appearace immediately breathed more life into the show for me and fortunately Asakura and Tsuruya also pick up a lot of the slack.

Kyon suffers from the fact that his interactions with Nagato are much less entertaining than they ever were with Haruhi. I don't think his character has actually changed as much as it appears. It's just that nothing this Nagato does is nearly as outrageous as the stunts Haruhi pulls even on a slow day and his snark and sarcasm have to be dialed down accordingly.

Last edited by Tiranas; 2015-04-11 at 17:01.
Old 2015-04-11, 16:51   Link #22
GDB

Asahina is at least more interesting because of Tsuruya and, presumably, Haruhi.
Old 2015-04-11, 17:04   Link #23
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Something tells me Kyon must not meet Haruhi or something terrible will happen to him.
Like the path of his destiny switching to be the most uncontrollable and unreasonable girl in the worlds one true partner/slave?

I'm really looking forward the Haruhi/Kyon/Yuki romantic tug of war to be honest. The girls are so different and the writers have showed they can do feels really well, hopefully they'll get the balance right.
Old 2015-04-11, 17:10   Link #24
Jaden

Yeah, honestly this feels like just a filtered version of Haruhi. I can't get into it. Just because of the legacy I'll give it a few more episodes though.
Old 2015-04-11, 18:02   Link #25
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One thing I noticed is that there are scenes were the art style starts to shift more to the KyoAni styling. I'm not sure if it is when things are serious, or when things are doing callbacks.

When Haruhi is giving commands to Yuki to draw her message and Yuki is almost mechanically following directions, her face looks more like 2006 Yuki. In the previous episode, when Asakura attacks Kyon (with her cold hands) she looks similar to her appearance in 2006. I think there was a shot of Kyon with is old face as well at once point.

Also Haruhi seems to look more or less like she did in the movie, just with her 2006 activity level.

Also Mikuru looked like her 2006 self...when they do body closeups of her hips and breasts. But that's probably normal.

I do recall that the Haruhi-chan series also used different art styles for different meaning to the scenes.

Waiting for a moe induced murder via Yuki's smile using the older style art. It is bound to happen sooner or later.
Old 2015-04-11, 20:12   Link #26
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
At least this show so far is better than the other spin-off show. I just can't get into Nagato's character. She is just too weird and different.
Old 2015-04-12, 00:16   Link #27
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I enjoyed the previous episode too, but this one was more than a few heads above it. We got a much better handle on Nagato's character, and finally, the goddess arrives!

Is it Friday yet?
Old 2015-04-12, 05:46   Link #28
Boukenxha

After hearing that remix in the field marking scene, you just have to go tube for the old one yeah? Man I did and it brings back the memories, the title of the OST is Oi oi if anyone is wondering.

This episode feels better in my book, even before Haruhi made her entrance. While the rest of the cast especially Ryoko have carried the show, I guess I've gotten used to this Yuki and the tempo. Of course, I'll be hoping Haruhi stick around even if a little bit, in fact I'm very glad that she showed up. Without having read the manga, I was kinda worried Puyo wouldn't want her upstaging Yuki's show too much.
Old 2015-04-12, 19:44   Link #29
Random14

Another fun episode, though that's partially due to Haruhi's appearance. Nice to see her as enthusiastic rather than the movie's frustrated version, since she's already embarking on crazy schemes.

I don't mind the quiet normal life scenes, especially since its mixed in with flashbacks leading up to the now. Interrupted confession, but I just find it somewhat funny that it was done accidentally by the person pushing for the couple the most. That Christmas party has come and gone fast, but now its onto Haruhi's proper introduction into the series, that should be exciting. Heck, just seeing shy girl Nagato and Haruhi interact was already pretty entertaining, adding Kyon to the mix should make things even better.
Old 2015-04-13, 04:23   Link #30
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

I'll be honest, this episode bored the heck out of me :|

Not even Haruhi's appearance saved this episode for me. (Her drawing those signs AGAIN, couldn't they come up with something different? I feel that it's being used too much already. I thought it was to send a message to aliens, now it's for catching Santa? WTH).

Without anything over-the-top happening... Sigh. I almost slept through it. Made my heart ache seeing the Kadokawa logo before the episode as well. [Can't you guys go animate the post-Disappearance light novels instead?! I'm sure the last novel released (Surprise) could give a decent closure to the series even if it goes on another hiatus.]

This episode made me think of skipping the series. But I'm hoping the more formal re-introduction of Haruhi would raise the pace back to something I can watch again.

Nagato sure is a boring main character. Like someone here said, even if she's no longer a silent, bookish alien and she speaks more now, she's sure less interesting because her "human" character is so typical. The secondary characters keep the show afloat more than she does, and that's because anyone can see through her character right from the start.

I'm glad Hirano can still do her Haruhi voice from the first series. I was expecting her voice to be deeper than before because it's been ages, and I got used to hearing her in Fairy Tail since. Thank goodness that is not the case.

Will stick around for two more episodes. Otherwise I'll just wait till the whole thing is done before touching this series again.
Old 2015-04-14, 01:53   Link #31
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel10 View Post
Without anything over-the-top happening... Sigh. I almost slept through it. Made my heart ache seeing the Kadokawa logo before the episode as well. [Can't you guys go animate the post-Disappearance light novels instead?! I'm sure the last novel released (Surprise) could give a decent closure to the series even if it goes on another hiatus.]
They're probably using this spin off to advertise the next proper season of Haurhi (Intrigues!) like they did the last time, they did a spin off with the Melancholy of Suzumiya-CHAN. Which secretly gave hints and clues when the 2nd season of Suzumiya Haruhi might air (ie Sighs, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody etc...)

I'm honestly only watching this checking for hints and clues about when the next season of Haruhi will air.

So far I found this spin off to be ok.... I liked the other spin off (the Melancholy of Suzumiya-CHAN) better because I enjoyed the comedy despite it's lesser animation (probably because of it's lower budget).

I'm a little conservative about my expectations for the potential new season, I'm only expecting Intrigues to be adapted and Surprise to be delayed till later. Although it is mildly interesting to see how a alternate normal world created by Nagato would play out. Still not as cute as the one from the actual Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi though.
Old 2015-04-14, 12:04   Link #32
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
They're probably using this spin off to advertise the next proper season of Haurhi (Intrigues!) like they did the last time, they did a spin off with the Melancholy of Suzumiya-CHAN. Which secretly gave hints and clues when the 2nd season of Suzumiya Haruhi might air (ie Sighs, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody etc...)
You just gave me a near heart attack O.O If that's the case then I hope this spin-off gets successful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
So far I found this spin off to be ok.... I liked the other spin off (the Melancholy of Suzumiya-CHAN) better because I enjoyed the comedy despite it's lesser animation (probably because of it's lower budget).
The first episode of TDOYN was really close to Suzumiya-chan style, because of the comedy. I'd like more of those scenes as well. Those really entertain me. If not, then bring back the supernatural stuff and god-like powers. But that obviously isn't happening!
Old 2015-04-15, 14:52   Link #33
chaos_animagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel10 View Post
You just gave me a near heart attack O.O If that's the case then I hope this spin-off gets successful!

The first episode of TDOYN was really close to Suzumiya-chan style, because of the comedy. I'd like more of those scenes as well. Those really entertain me. If not, then bring back the supernatural stuff and god-like powers. But that obviously isn't happening!
Tho this "spin-off" technically have a proper manga and it's considered a stand alone series that doesn't really have anything to do with the original series.

So... yea... ppls should just look at this series as a "new series" and not a "continuation series", Kinda like the "precure" series and how most of them are all "stand alones".
Old 2015-04-16, 22:01   Link #34
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Considering this is 24 and the last date of the Dissappearance was 21.... lalalalalalala~

That being said, I liked the change of pace, imho. It's probably going to end next ep anyway.
Old 2015-04-17, 03:43   Link #35
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

IF one wanted to place this with the original version, think of it as if Kyon decides to stay in Yuki's universe (Haruhi wouldn't mine, she'll have fun regardless). If he does not run the reset program, than Nagato rewrites the timeline a second time, but this time with Kyon having been a part of the universe from the start, rather than being the only thing not changed. The new rewrite becomes what we see here.

That is, if you want to force this version to fit in. It is not suppose to fit in as this is a spin-off of a parody series based on the original show.
Old 2015-04-18, 13:11   Link #36
OkamiNoKaze

It's the Haruhi who Leapt through and Endless Recursion of Time.
Old 2015-04-19, 20:07   Link #37
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
IF one wanted to place this with the original version, think of it as if Kyon decides to stay in Yuki's universe (Haruhi wouldn't mind, she'll have fun regardless). If he does not run the reset program, than Nagato rewrites the timeline a second time, but this time with Kyon having been a part of the universe from the start, rather than being the only thing not changed. The new rewrite becomes what we see here.
Actually this makes the most sense for me.
Closed Thread