AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-07-30, 11:22   Link #21
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I highly enjoy Silver Spoon. But really... as mentioned, there's nothing really much to discuss about it. Despite already having 11 chapters and what I would say... relatively decent character development in that short amount of chapters, it has really only scratched the surface of the character drama that Silver Spoon is heading towards.

If there was one complaint I have on Silver Spoon... it is that I really wish it could have more 'info-dumping' at times. Part of the charm of such a manga is absorbing all the new things you've only known as a general knowledge or as a textbook/wikipedia material in a 'day-by-days' livelihood fashion.

Just a little bit more though. Frankly, I'm also enjoying how naturalistic the pace of the story is, without forcing too much "AGRICULTURE FOR IDIOTS 101"...

So I'm as conflicted as the fact that pigs taste so good.
I think manga has an assumption that average reader of this have really basic knowledge of where and how food gets to their plate/bowl

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 20:34   Link #22
Grey

I love the callback to "None of the farms have decent cellphone reception". Cute joke setup.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 04:54   Link #23
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
If there was one complaint I have on Silver Spoon... it is that I really wish it could have more 'info-dumping' at times. Part of the charm of such a manga is absorbing all the new things you've only known as a general knowledge or as a textbook/wikipedia material in a 'day-by-days' livelihood fashion.
Personally i think too much info-dumping would destroy the nice pace this story has going for it. Example would be if more was added to the creation of the pizza story. There was just enough to learn about it's background, and enjoy the build up of the pizza.

I hope this is one manga Arakawa-sensei plans to do for quite a while, because there's so much that could be done. It's pretty obvious how it will end, though the adventure to that point should be quality.
Old 2011-07-31, 06:03   Link #24
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Personally i think too much info-dumping would destroy the nice pace this story has going for it. Example would be if more was added to the creation of the pizza story. There was just enough to learn about it's background, and enjoy the build up of the pizza.

I hope this is one manga Arakawa-sensei plans to do for quite a while, because there's so much that could be done. It's pretty obvious how it will end, though the adventure to that point should be quality.
That's the thing. I would like more info-dumping because I enjoy learning new things from the manga I read ( eg. Moyashimon, Bakuman ) but at the same time, it's paced rather nicely as it is at the moment.

That's why I said that with Silver Spoon, I'm as conflicted as Hachiken is on 'damn, why must pigs taste so good?' as I am conflicted with damn, I want more Agriculture 101... but why must the pacing be so good?

Though personally, it hasn't bothered me because being Chinese, pork is consumed regularly.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 04:05   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Chapter 12 was pretty good. Hachiken isn't used to seeing such a happy family set-up, so that was pretty nice. Yet another flashback to add to the growing collection. Do wonder how long it will be before we see a full flashback chapter.

Was i the only one that fell for the joke at the end with the mobile phone?
Old 2011-08-20, 14:21   Link #26
Procrastinator_CA
Laborus Tardis

Chapter 14 was fun. Hachiken got to meet the Kobama family.

I have a feeling that Hachiken is about to snap and go butcherin'! Things may get really bloody and gory!

And I never knew you can hunt with a pick-up truck...using it as the weapon!
Procrastinator_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 19:44   Link #27
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator_CA View Post
Chapter 14 was fun. Hachiken got to meet the Kobama family.

I have a feeling that Hachiken is about to snap and go butcherin'! Things may get really bloody and gory!

And I never knew you can hunt with a pick-up truck...using it as the weapon!
yeah you can it called the "I dont care if I need thousands of dollars to repair my vehicle" method.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 00:52   Link #28
Procrastinator_CA
Laborus Tardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongshun View Post
yeah you can it called the "I dont care if I need thousands of dollars to repair my vehicle" method.
And I'd bet Mikage-ojiisan and Komaba would say:

"Why spend tens of thousands of yen when I can repair it myself?"
Old 2011-08-21, 04:41   Link #29
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

That deer had such a death flag when it first appeared. ;_____;
Old 2011-08-21, 14:11   Link #30
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Oh, good. I was wondering why Arakawa didn't have Hachiken kill a pig earlier for the pizza. Kinda weird to involve a deer out of the blue, though.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 12:36   Link #31
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Would kinda kill the pizza-happy mood...
So, I just picked this up after finally having nothing better to do, gotta say it is a lot lighter than I expected, and pretty interesting as well! The humour is very good, grandpa joke reached a level of lol I usually get from gintama and the like It's amazing to see how even the most basic things can be analyzed to this extent, and it got me wondering, if the school activities could be so perfectly illustrated, how will it develop once we get to the MC's choices? <-cue, next chapter, I'm dying to find out!

P.S: I'd totally eat the pig.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 15:45   Link #32
Procrastinator_CA
Laborus Tardis

Well, that was an impressive tour of the Inada (et at.) GigaFarm. LOL at Tamako planning on making Hachiken a slave an employee of the co-op after they graduate. And she sure looks a lot like her more well-proportioned sister mother.

Hmm, it seems the Inada parents have something in store for Tamako-chan. Could we see another person crashing in with the Mikages?

Too bad we have to wait another month to find out...

P.S. I'd like to see Ichiro × Tamako: Greed × Greed
Old 2011-09-10, 15:44   Link #33
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Wait, Arakawa's new manga is the Gin no Saji, so does that mean two or none possibilities:

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 04:51   Link #34
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I'm getting a little tired of the teasing with Hachiken's cell phone every chapter. He really should do something about it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 09:30   Link #35
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Hmmm... looks like Arakawa-sensei is not ready for weekly publication schedule yet looking at the number of breaks she(I think Arakawa-sensei is a woman right?) takes. Probably better that this series moved to a monthly magazine but with more pages number for each chapter(probably something like FMA's last chapter? :P)
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 22:28   Link #36
Procrastinator_CA
Laborus Tardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
I'm getting a little tired of the teasing with Hachiken's cell phone every chapter. He really should do something about it.
Well, going by the latest chapter, someone in the Hachiken family finally did something about it. And judging by his reaction, Yugo did not take his brother's impromptu visit all too well.

I guess we'll finally get some details as to why Yugo doesn't like his family so much next chapter.
Old 2011-11-14, 05:22   Link #37
Procrastinator_CA
Laborus Tardis

Spoiler for Chapter 20 - Summertime (10):
Old 2011-11-14, 06:16   Link #38
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

How bad is his ramen for hachiken to spit it up from his nose lol. Great grandma is really interesting too lol.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 13:13   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Guess i can't say i'm surprised about Yugo's Father. He probably played a huge part as to why Yugo is the way he is.
Old 2011-12-10, 13:13   Link #40
yuzen003

Anyone else waiting for Hachiken will figure out he wants to be a chef? There have been multiple hints such as he constantly enjoys the food, cooking is the one thing his brother can't do apparently, he enjoyed cooking the pizza showing he is capable (unlike his brother) and got some satisfaction out of it, and he's learning how to prepare and source ingredients. It seems like the logical dream for him to find given his current experiences, but I'm curious if anyone has any other theories where the story is headed.
yuzen003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen