AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-17, 12:54   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Character Discussion - Shokuhou "Mental Out" Misaki

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Misaki related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Railgun Manga Readers, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

(Since this is a manga thread, generally spoiler tags aren't needed, but you might use spoiler tags if posting things from recent manga chapters that have not yet been translated or released.)
Old 2013-05-17, 14:53   Link #2
Shinhwa
Banned

Why isn't her last name on the thread? O.o
Old 2013-05-17, 18:32   Link #3
Birdway
Banned

Shokuhou Misaki "Mental Out".

Last edited by Birdway; 2013-05-18 at 12:41. Reason: ewww. typo
Old 2013-05-17, 20:40   Link #4
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Misaki's full name WAS mentioned in the Anime right?
Old 2013-05-18, 00:46   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

It's just because I didn't take the time to look it up and I couldn't remember off-hand. Anyway, thanks to Birdway above for providing the answer, it's fixed now. (I made it match the name order in the main Railgun thread.)
Old 2013-05-24, 18:40   Link #6
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's just because I didn't take the time to look it up and I couldn't remember off-hand. Anyway, thanks to Birdway above for providing the answer, it's fixed now. (I made it match the name order in the main Railgun thread.)
So... who's happy that (spoiler from railgun manga and NT volume 7)
Spoiler:

It sure makes me happy. She's a pretty funny character, at least in NT 7. She seems a bit less mellow in Railgun...
Old 2013-05-24, 20:55   Link #7
Birdway
Banned

At least we know so far:

- Likes sweet things, doesn't cares about growing fat.
- Due to her being raised on closed spaces she isn't used to do physical work.
- Doesn't trust people she can't control.
- Dislikes the idea of getting along with gullible and emotionally unstable people like Misaka.
- Knows Touma way before his memory loss, feels in debt with him.
- Likes to get along people with carefree attitude regarding relationships like Touma.
- Her power works on way too many aspects so she needs to set restrictions to herself.
- Her power only works on humans.
Old 2013-05-25, 00:45   Link #8
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
At least we know so far:

- Likes sweet things, doesn't cares about growing fat.
- Due to her being raised on closed spaces she isn't used to do physical work.
- Doesn't trust people she can't control.
- Dislikes the idea of getting along with gullible and emotionally unstable people like Misaka.
- Knows Touma way before his memory loss, feels in debt with him.
- Likes to get along people with carefree attitude regarding relationships like Touma.
- Her power works on way too many aspects so she needs to set restrictions to herself.
- Her power only works on humans.
You forgot about her verbal tic ability.

Last edited by Welsh_Dragon; 2013-05-25 at 01:00.
Old 2013-05-26, 19:51   Link #9
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
You forgot about her verbal tic ability.
You mean her verbal tic "ability" and her excellent speaking "power."
Old 2013-05-26, 20:46   Link #10
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
You mean her verbal tic "ability" and her excellent speaking "power."
I was actually trying to put that verbal tic to use in my post for fun.
Old 2013-05-26, 21:08   Link #11
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
I was actually trying to put that verbal tic to use in my post for fun.
I know. I was saying on Index wiki, it says she uses ability and power randomly to phrase her sentences. So I added power
Old 2013-05-26, 21:40   Link #12
Marina2

In combat, While Misaki's "Mental out" is not combat-type ability, she will do better than Mikoto and Shizuri in the battle as she can just mind-control her enemy. However, she can easily get taken out by a sniper from a far range (if she doesn't know sniper is "there")
Old 2013-05-26, 21:46   Link #13
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
In combat, While Misaki's "Mental out" is not combat-type ability, she will do better than Mikoto and Shizuri in the battle as she can just mind-control her enemy. However, she can easily get taken out by a sniper from a far range (if she doesn't know sniper is "there")
Since her mind-control ability range is ridiculous, can't she just mind control anyone within a huge area or make anyone in that area just go to sleep (an area that is close enough for anyone to snipe her) in that case, wouldn't she be fine?
Spoiler:
Old 2013-05-27, 02:52   Link #14
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Since her mind-control ability range is ridiculous, can't she just mind control anyone within a huge area or make anyone in that area just go to sleep (an area that is close enough for anyone to snipe her) in that case, wouldn't she be fine?
Spoiler:
Probelm is: Misaki (noramlly) prefer to control only those who are near to her (around her) more than huge area control unless it is really necessary. Okey, if she is in combat situation, she may use wide area control just for her safety (unlikely, however)

But in normal situation where she is enjoying her everyday life? Why would she use wide area mind-control in the situation where she doesn't know she is about to get sniped? That's why a sniper can easily defeat her if needed.

It is one of her weakness to exploit.
Old 2013-05-27, 04:31   Link #15
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Probelm is: Misaki (noramlly) prefer to control only those who are near to her (around her) more than huge area control unless it is really necessary. Okey, if she is in combat situation, she may use wide area control just for her safety (unlikely, however)

But in normal situation where she is enjoying her everyday life? Why would she use wide area mind-control in the situation where she doesn't know she is about to get sniped? That's why a sniper can easily defeat her if needed.

It is one of her weakness to exploit.
Sure, I agree with this. This is why she tries not to anger Academy City.
Old 2013-05-27, 04:35   Link #16
Tranhieu

But she can always use other people's abilities to protect herself right? Sniping her wouldn't be that easy with so many people around, and most of them are level 3 or 4.
Old 2013-05-27, 04:54   Link #17
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
But she can always use other people's abilities to protect herself right? Sniping her wouldn't be that easy with so many people around, and most of them are level 3 or 4.
What if they didn't care about hurting innocent people? It's still hard to protect against snipers unless you are
Spoiler:

More importantly:

By the way, this is kind of obvious now I realize. But the fact that Mikoto said that all level 5's at Tokiwadai started as level 1's seems to be true probably. After all, Shokuhou had to train her mental out to make it stronger. She gradually developed her powers. Therefore, I'm guessing she was originally a level 1.

[SPOILER= Chapters 59/60 of Railgun Manga] Then can we say that one of the only reasons she reached level 5 was because the researchers wanted her to complete Exterior and because they didn't get to dispose of her? Otherwise she would have just had an average level of power. Instead, she got a special curriculum there? I mean they didn't even seem to care about her achieving level 5... they were just going to discard her once Exterior was complete... So... was she there for schooling beforehand? Based on the fact that the researchers were going to dispose of her: [SPOILER] is she a child error? We haven't ever seen a mention of her parents.

I don't think they'd be able to dispose of her without her parents complaining unless she was a child error and was abandoned because of her power to read minds. This might explain a lot... I mean she wasn't with her parents during the first part of Daihasesai. She was with the researcher, right? .................

Last edited by dniv; 2013-06-04 at 16:22.
Old 2013-09-02, 13:49   Link #18
Yye1
Wide Right

So, based on railgun and the latest index volumes
She is in love with Touma?

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Old 2013-09-02, 14:28   Link #19
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
never seen her smile like that to anybody else so i guess we can assume yes but i wouldn't take an interest to the pairing much since kamachi has yet to tell us her background with kamijou yet. i wonder when well he make a volume about touma past because its pretty obvious misaki is somewhat set up for us to learn about kamijou past and their relationship.
Old 2013-09-02, 15:09   Link #20
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
That is quite obvious now, yeah. More interested in her being key to Touma's past.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, shokuhou misaki