AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-07-25, 12:38   Link #41
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I meant gave in the sense that the husband suggested his wife and the secretary hook up to begin with, as he noticed the secretary had feelings for the wife. In that sense he "gave" his wife to the secretary, if nothing else he gave his blessing. Their whole situation is supposed to be a parallel to the story of the third scroll where in which an item was in fact given to one of the people in the story that the third scroll depicts, for that characters good foresight.
No man would have truthfully given blessings to that. If he truly gave his blessings, she would have had an inheritance. She didn't get a thing. He told her to live her own life with a ring that cost at most $3000.

Last edited by orion; 2018-07-25 at 12:50.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 12:48   Link #42
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

My take is that the wife and secretary started an affair without the husband's consent. But since the secretary saved his life, he decided to let it go. The thing is, all those years, the wife didn't know that he knew. And she didn't understand the message of the ring. She did, however, understand the painting's. At least the third's.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 13:32   Link #43
ArrowSmith

I like how Holmes is hung up about his old girlfriend. Sets thing up with Aoi later on.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 15:07   Link #44
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
My take is that the wife and secretary started an affair without the husband's consent. But since the secretary saved his life, he decided to let it go. The thing is, all those years, the wife didn't know that he knew. And she didn't understand the message of the ring. She did, however, understand the painting's. At least the third's.
Was the first thing I thought when I saw Haruhiko - Although I must admit that I thought the Actor might be his actual son while the others are not as he made it sound like he got an exceptionally high share compared to the others.

That being said, Ayako sounded a lot older than she actually looked like, and by that I mean even considering Anime standards. No Idea if it was the fault of the VA director or whoever did her character art.

The wife also kinda annoyed me. Having an affair and seriously being pissed about not being mentioned in the will (and yes she was annoyed about it, it wasn't the reason she burned the scrolls, but it still pissed her).

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 15:34   Link #45
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Was the first thing I thought when I saw Haruhiko - Although I must admit that I thought the Actor might be his actual son while the others are not as he made it sound like he got an exceptionally high share compared to the others.
I think what was different wasn't the amount but the perspective. The eldest knew the state of the family finances so he wasn't surprised. The third only the appearance of wealth so he was. And the second thought his father despised his career choice and that he wouldn't get anything regardless of what there was to be had, so he was pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
That being said, Ayako sounded a lot older than she actually looked like, and by that I mean even considering Anime standards. No Idea if it was the fault of the VA director or whoever did her character art.

The wife also kinda annoyed me. Having an affair and seriously being pissed about not being mentioned in the will (and yes she was annoyed about it, it wasn't the reason she burned the scrolls, but it still pissed her).
I thought she looked way to young to have sons in their twenties.

I don't know if she was pissed so much as embarrassed? We don't even know what was in the first will, for that matter - the one that dealt with the bulk of the assets.
Old 2018-07-25, 15:48   Link #46
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
I think what was different wasn't the amount but the perspective. The eldest knew the state of the family finances so he wasn't surprised. The third only the appearance of wealth so he was. And the second thought his father despised his career choice and that he wouldn't get anything regardless of what there was to be had, so he was pleasantly surprised.

I thought she looked way to young to have sons in their twenties.

I don't know if she was pissed so much as embarrassed? We don't even know what was in the first will, for that matter - the one that dealt with the bulk of the assets.
I'm pretty sure the first one said nothing at all about her either, because it would make her excuse rather weak if it did.

And no, she was actually annoyed that she didn't even get mentioned. The VA imho brought that one over rather well.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2018-07-25, 16:00   Link #47
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the first one said nothing at all about her either, because it would make her excuse rather weak if it did.
Why would it?

Quote:
And no, she was actually annoyed that she didn't even get mentioned. The VA imho brought that one over rather well.
I really don't know about that. I don't even know where she was supposed to sound pissed.
Old 2018-07-25, 20:01   Link #48
orion

Quote:
Why would it?

I really don't know about that. I don't even know where she was supposed to sound pissed.
Her face at the beginning of the episode before the title speaks volumes.
Old 2018-07-25, 20:10   Link #49
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Why would it?
Because her excuse was that she wasn't mentioned in the will. She admitted herself that she got a ring shorty before her husband died.

Her problem didn't really seem to be not getting anything but not being mentioned at all. Her husband's last will basically treated her as non existent.

Quote:
You can be pissed without sounding like it. If you really need a spoit though, see the post above mine

Old 2018-07-25, 20:28   Link #50
orion

Quote:
Because her excuse was that she wasn't mentioned in the will. She admitted herself that she got a ring shorty before her husband died.

Her problem didn't really seem to be not getting anything but not being mentioned at all. Her husband's last will basically treated her as non existent.

<snip>

It was pretty obvious who got the lion's share of the assets. Oldest son> middle son (actor)>>>>illegitimate son >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wife (got nothing)
Old 2018-07-26, 00:46   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

Yes. The special will that was about sentimental ties.

Quote:
You can be pissed without sounding like it. If you really need a spoit though, see the post above mine
You're the one who mentioned the VA.

As for what she looked like when she burned the scrolls, maybe she was pissed at her late husband for revealing her secret. Note that it was the brothers' first reaction, too.
Old 2018-07-26, 09:42   Link #52
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Yes. The special will that was about sentimental ties.

You're the one who mentioned the VA.

As for what she looked like when she burned the scrolls, maybe she was pissed at her late husband for revealing her secret. Note that it was the brothers' first reaction, too.
Yep, her expression had to do with the secret. She had the exact same look on her face just as Holmes was about to explain the third scroll, and then she caved and fessed up. I also didn't see her as being pissed that she didn't receive anything other then the ring. Perplexed perhaps, but not pissed.
Old 2018-07-27, 14:29   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So the affair began twenty years ago? When Ayako became pregnant, did her husband know the child was not his? My guess is he did not. More likely, she presented Haruhiko to him as his son and hid the truth about the affair. Did the affair continue for the next twenty years? Was the husband oblivious for all that time? Did it come out when the secretary saved him? We don't know how long ago that was.

I had a hard time piecing together a plausible time line for the events here. If Haruhiko were ten, it would be somewhat less implausible, but only somewhat. Perhaps the husband was so engrossed in his writing that he ignored both of them and gave them time and space to maintain their relationship. But twenty years?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-27, 14:57   Link #54
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So the affair began twenty years ago? When Ayako became pregnant, did her husband know the child was not his? My guess is he did not. More likely, she presented Haruhiko to him as his son and hid the truth about the affair. Did the affair continue for the next twenty years? Was the husband oblivious for all that time? Did it come out when the secretary saved him? We don't know how long ago that was.

I had a hard time piecing together a plausible time line for the events here. If Haruhiko were ten, it would be somewhat less implausible, but only somewhat. Perhaps the husband was so engrossed in his writing that he ignored both of them and gave them time and space to maintain their relationship. But twenty years?
Maybe back then divorce was considered controversial. Plus, how was he going to manage his career and 3 sons? Maybe he weighed the risks versus benefits and it was more beneficial to ignore the affair until he died.

At least his will didn't specify to kick her out of the house.
Old 2018-07-27, 15:06   Link #55
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
At least his will didn't specify to kick her out of the house.
Yes. Maybe she inherited the house and furnishings? If not, it might be hard for the sons to see mommy and her lover at breakfast every day. Still, they seemed pretty comfortable living at home, so maybe they'd adapt. After all, it had been just the five of them for a while now, and their father seemed to have blessed the arrangement. But the day might come when they ask the secretary to move out and force mom to choose between life with him and life at home with them. What does a middle-aged secretary do when his patron dies? Could he and Ayako really live on their own? It would certainly be a major step down in the world for them, I suspect. Maybe they could open a nice konbini.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-27, 15:28   Link #56
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Considering neither one of the sons who found out seemed to curse their mother, only the father for even bringing it up at this time. I highly doubt the mom and secretary are going to have to worry about being kicked out, regardless of how the situation came to be.
Old 2018-07-28, 13:02   Link #57
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Considering neither one of the sons who found out seemed to curse their mother, only the father for even bringing it up at this time. I highly doubt the mom and secretary are going to have to worry about being kicked out, regardless of how the situation came to be.
That's only because the title didn't show the aftermath. Depending on who got the property, the new owner has no obligation to let them stay.
Old 2018-07-30, 15:38   Link #58
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Wow. The exes are so unsympathetic in this. And hypocritical. I didn't have an opinion on them before, but now I can see they're pieces of work.

The "friends" are assholes too.

On the plus side, I like the Akihiro's mnemonic for the migi-mae thing.
Old 2018-07-31, 00:53   Link #59
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Wow. The exes are so unsympathetic in this. And hypocritical. I didn't have an opinion on them before, but now I can see they're pieces of work.

The "friends" are assholes too.
Not uncommon for high schoolers, though. On the other hand, I'd say Holmes's ex is having buyer's remorse.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-31, 01:28   Link #60
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, the high schoolers are more forgivable for reasons of youth, but still. I'm glad Holmes was able to use his looks and charisma to make them eat their hearts out.