AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-21, 22:43   Link #781
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

New episode raws are due out tomorrow. Be alert, doods.
Old 2008-01-21, 23:28   Link #782
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
There. You can use them as wallpapers. Free, of course
Spoiler for for 2 wall's:
Ellaya_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:50   Link #783
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Cant lose to CK in sig producing department!

Free
Nice sig KiNA, but you're behind!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 23:59   Link #784
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellaya_dw View Post
Nice cleanup job! Or did you scan those yourself? Either way, thanks dood.
Old 2008-01-22, 00:21   Link #785
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellaya_dw View Post
Alright thanks for the nice wallpapers. Horo will hit just about everything I've got now .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Nice sig KiNA, but you're behind!

Horo moe alert. Such a high dose there it may take a few minutes to recover .
Old 2008-01-22, 00:32   Link #786
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Alright thanks for the nice wallpapers. Horo will hit just about everything I've got now .Horo moe alert. Such a high dose there it may take a few weeks even months to recover .
Fixed for Truth! Horo cuteness is unbelieveable and maybe better than Haruhi. Even better then her (bracing for impact).
Old 2008-01-22, 00:36   Link #787
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Fixed for Truth! Horo cuteness is unbelieveable and maybe better than Haruhi. Even better then her (bracing for impact).
No impact is forthcoming, as Haruhi is now mainstream and known to even the most base of 'congoers everywhere. That entire series has lost its charm, it's touch. I can guarantee to you, on the other hand, that I won't see a single person cosplaying Lawrence or Horo at Megacon 08. If I do, I'll pay for their lunch. And Horo doesn't look like she's going to lose her otherworldly attraction anytime soon.
Old 2008-01-22, 00:39   Link #788
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Nice cleanup job! Or did you scan those yourself? Either way, thanks dood.
I've clean it on Photoshop 6 (without my favorite "Healing Brush" function )
And you are welcome.

P.S.: Say it for this and the following posts: Sorry for my lame english.
Ellaya_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 00:48   Link #789
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Your absolutely right and thanks for the repair on that statement. No way one could recover from that level of Horo moe so quickly .
Old 2008-01-22, 00:53   Link #790
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Your absolutely right and thanks for the repair on that statement. No way one could recover from that level of Horo moe so quickly .
No problem, I am here to help out

Beside there is a question about this that got me wondering, I went to Wikipedia site and it seems like they spelled Horo with Holo (but they did put Horo on the side of her name, so the question is which is the right name, Holo or Horo?
Old 2008-01-22, 00:57   Link #791
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Yes. R and L have no distinction in Japanese. B and V are the same. Makes for interesting translating, because sometimes even the creators don't know.
Old 2008-01-22, 01:02   Link #792
Ultenth

I believe someone stated earlier that the main anime website itself seems to lean towards Holo, but as Solace stated there really is no difference. There are no real L and R sounds in Japanese, but one sound that is about 1/2 way between the two.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 01:05   Link #793
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Holo makes me think of holograms, which in turn makes me think of Han Solo for some reason, so I stick to Horo. I tried changing all instances of "Holo" on Wikipedia to "Horo" but some idort changed it back.
Old 2008-01-22, 01:08   Link #794
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Yeah I prefer Horo myself. Not sure what it is, but Holo does leave me not feeling right. Probably because I've gotten used to one way of spelling her name. Besides long as it isn't the wrong way to do it should be fine.
Old 2008-01-22, 01:12   Link #795
Ultenth

http://www.spicy-wolf.com/assets/ima...acter_holo.gif

Is the pic from the main website, and the actual link is character_holo.gif So it looks like the person that made the website (or set up the pictures for it at least) thinks it should be spelled Holo. Again, it could be translated as either and be equally right (or wrong, techniqually). The generally accepted spelling on most Roman lettered websites seems to be Horo, so to avoid confusion that's what I use as well. If people want to go by what some random web manager that works for the company Imagin hired to do their website says, they can feel free to do so, but I imagine that a year from now very few people will refer to her as Holo.

In fact as a testiment to which is more accepted, go ahead and use a search engine and search for +Holo +"Spice and wolf" then search for +Horo +"Spice and wolf" and you'll see that the hits for Horo is roughly 5.5 times greater.
Old 2008-01-22, 01:23   Link #796
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
No impact is forthcoming, as Haruhi is now mainstream and known to even the most base of 'congoers everywhere. That entire series has lost its charm, it's touch.
If it was so "mainstream", we'd have more episodes already. It's just very, very popular. And not so well known in the States as, say, Naruto or Bleach.

On-topic, Horo IS amazing. This show already deserves a second season and I've only seen two episodes of the first.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:16   Link #797
Westlo
Lets be reality

It deserves more than a second season, need a 3rd as well! and a fourth when more books come out!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:18   Link #798
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "L" idort is totally off-base. Virtually all translations and teachings of the ”ろ” character romaji is "ro". I don't have my data handy though .... is Horo's name spelled "ほろ”? ..

now the *pronunciation* of Horo is going to have that l-d-r mix sound that some find hard to learn... but anyone trying to spell it in romaji as "Holo" is just being obstinate.
Old 2008-01-22, 02:23   Link #799
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
I believe someone stated earlier that the main anime website itself seems to lean towards Holo, but as Solace stated there really is no difference. There are no real L and R sounds in Japanese, but one sound that is about 1/2 way between the two.
Yup. The actually sound is something like Holo, but when hearing it you can easily mistake it for either Holo or Horo. As an English speaker, it's hard to comprehend the lack of a "hard" R or L sound, or even how to do it properly. It's also the butt of an old joke involved "flied lice".

It reminds me of when I got hooked on Vampire Princess Miyu. I actually have the very old videotapes, and in there is a leaflet of notes and translations from the show. One of the notes is a story from the staff, who had a hard time deciding the best way to translate the name of Miyu's guardian, Larva (Laba, Lava, Larba, etc). They even went to the creator and asked for how it was supposed to be, and he gave them the name Larva just to settle the question.

In most cases you can guess pretty accurately the intended spelling, for instance Horo is most likely the correct way of saying her name. But sometimes it's anyones guess, because the "correct" way of pronouncing just doesn't exist.

Ril - Real - Rel - Lil .........
Old 2008-01-22, 03:10   Link #800
Ultenth

Ahhh, Ergo Proxy, I was so frustrated with the constantly changing translation of her name. But yeah, due to there really being no translation into a lo sound, and one for ro (in terms of romanizing characters) even if you look it up on wiki etc. I would guess it's ro. A random gif put up by some Mediaworks web designer grunt isn't defined proof in my mind. Also if you run a websearch for Holo vs. Horo (make sure to use +'s and +"Spice and wolf" as well.) you'll find Horo is more widely accepted on the internet in general by a ratio of over 5:1. I posted that info on the wiki as well as changed it to Horo. While L or R or D could all be equally correct (and incorrect) I believe going by the most widely accepted version according to Japanese language teachers as well as the most widely way in which the character herself is referred to by fans, makes the most sense.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen