AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-25, 00:47   Link #21
SMage

Episode 1

I enjoyed this more when it was called Akagi.

I admit, the premise is somewhat intriguing, but after seeing people bet life and limb in Akagi and Kaiji, I can't really get into watching people betting just a few hundred thousand USD. Since the protagonist is of the same breed as Akagi, there really is no great tension as who is going to win, and the lack of hard-faced mafia people makes the matches feel more like a farce. I mean, what are the hoodlums going to do if you happen to not pay and run away? The scarriest thing I can imagine them doing is making that one lady sit on the offender... but even that's not quite as chilling as getting fingers guillotined. I'm sure I could have enjoyed this more if I hadn't watched Akagi, but the first episode only tells me that this will be - at best - a decent knock off.
Old 2008-10-25, 01:31   Link #22
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Huh? The timing in the subs was just fine didn't notice any off timing subtitles.

Anyways the first episode was pretty good. Will keep following this series. Oh and the OP gave me a bunch of inner feelings I've never felt before.
...Uh... No. Not when you don't have a consitent style, and manage to overlap lines just because of bad leadout time on the previous one. Not good at all. But I guess "normal" people wouldn't notice (I've been timing for 3 years)
Old 2008-10-25, 05:15   Link #23
backlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMage View Post
Episode 1

I enjoyed this more when it was called Akagi.

I admit, the premise is somewhat intriguing, but after seeing people bet life and limb in Akagi and Kaiji, I can't really get into watching people betting just a few hundred thousand USD. Since the protagonist is of the same breed as Akagi, there really is no great tension as who is going to win, and the lack of hard-faced mafia people makes the matches feel more like a farce. I mean, what are the hoodlums going to do if you happen to not pay and run away? The scarriest thing I can imagine them doing is making that one lady sit on the offender... but even that's not quite as chilling as getting fingers guillotined. I'm sure I could have enjoyed this more if I hadn't watched Akagi, but the first episode only tells me that this will be - at best - a decent knock off.
As you will see in later episodes, Toua is not like Akagi. They may be geniuses, but they are different. I believe more will be revealed in episode 2, with the "main" story starting in episode 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
...Uh... No. Not when you don't have a consitent style, and manage to overlap lines just because of bad leadout time on the previous one. Not good at all. But I guess "normal" people wouldn't notice (I've been timing for 3 years)
Hi, we are currently working on v2 based on the feedback received from our first release. I have fixed the timings on the subs, and have found an encoder, and will be incorporating a few new things into the new release. Please bear with us, as while you may be have 3 years timing experience, the collective fansubbing experience of our group before this release was a total of zero minutes.
Old 2008-10-25, 09:39   Link #24
SMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
As you will see in later episodes, Toua is not like Akagi. They may be geniuses, but they are different. I believe more will be revealed in episode 2, with the "main" story starting in episode 3.
Considering my mildly bleak forecast of the show, I can only be happy if I'm proven wrong. However, I'm still worried that the antes may not be high enough for me to care about who wins or that Toua will simply lack the power and intrigue of Akagi.
Old 2008-10-25, 10:18   Link #25
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie
I will enjoy this more. I know what the story is about and how its going to progress (somewhat), I am looking forward to whats to come. (anidb gives a good idea of what the anime is about)
My Anime List
Old 2008-10-25, 17:12   Link #26
LifeILL

Great first episode. I know that the manga is only 7 volumes so that means the anime itself would only be 15-16 episodes in length?

Anyways, am I the only one who thought that the main seiyuu's voice was distracting? I mean, that was Akagi pretty much. Everytime he speaks I think of Akagi, and he didn't even change his voice like he did in Kaiji. This is pretty much Akagi playing baseball. I thought they should have gotten another seiyuu who's voice fits better.
Old 2008-10-25, 20:40   Link #27
Ashlotte
Clockwork

If theres one thing that completely turn me off from a show its one that leans on a narrator to the point that it cripples the show and this was one fine example...

Enjoyed parts of it alot seeing as I like baseball anime, but the fact that they felt the need to continually use a narrator for the most obvious or trivial things made me eye roll every time...If they ditch this clunky way of storytelling I can see myself sticking with it otherwise dropped...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2008-10-25, 23:48   Link #28
kamikazex

well that was an good way to start. losing 400k
Old 2008-10-26, 04:10   Link #29
LifeILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
If theres one thing that completely turn me off from a show its one that leans on a narrator to the point that it cripples the show and this was one fine example...

Enjoyed parts of it alot seeing as I like baseball anime, but the fact that they felt the need to continually use a narrator for the most obvious or trivial things made me eye roll every time...If they ditch this clunky way of storytelling I can see myself sticking with it otherwise dropped...

Would you know the difference between a forkball and fastball if it wasn't for the narrator?
Old 2008-10-26, 07:34   Link #30
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post

Hi, we are currently working on v2 based on the feedback received from our first release. I have fixed the timings on the subs, and have found an encoder, and will be incorporating a few new things into the new release. Please bear with us, as while you may be have 3 years timing experience, the collective fansubbing experience of our group before this release was a total of zero minutes.
Hmm, sounds good if you're willing to improve. I can send you the guide on how I time (guide for leadin, leadouts etc) if you want. Unfortunately I do not have the luxery of having enough time to help you time this show, but I could give you tip.
Old 2008-10-26, 12:20   Link #31
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeILL View Post
Would you know the difference between a forkball and fastball if it wasn't for the narrator?
Thats something easily accomplished through an character in the show pointing it out not through some disembodied voice.

Do you really feel your done a service to have the narrator tell you everytime theres a strike when they clearly show them swinging and it goes by them at the same time? I know I don't.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2008-10-27, 02:35   Link #32
kamikazex

episode 3....holy crap.
Spoiler for ep3:
yeah i like this guy alot better when he's on the home team
Old 2008-10-27, 07:39   Link #33
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'm sorry, but what part of 'a few hundred thousand dollars' is a small bet? They were betting LOWER than that for almost all throughout Kaiji and with Akagi, it was more about beating the other guy down than the money anyway. In gambling shows like these, the wager actually tends to be unimportant to the fact that other things are on the line, like pride and greed.

Anyway, ep 2 was plain badass. Toua slowballing a pro player? Awesome. Also, that tactic has been known to work in real life settings too. I couldn't help but laugh at that whole scenario.

To me, the only criticism I have of the show so far is that the music isn't as amazing as Akagi/Kaiji's. That and the narrator isn't quite the anime allstar-caliber of Akagi and Kaiji's. But in the end, not too crucial to the actual story.
Old 2008-10-27, 08:53   Link #34
SMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'm sorry, but what part of 'a few hundred thousand dollars' is a small bet? They were betting LOWER than that for almost all throughout Kaiji and with Akagi, it was more about beating the other guy down than the money anyway. In gambling shows like these, the wager actually tends to be unimportant to the fact that other things are on the line, like pride and greed.
Okay, realistically speaking, 400k is a huge sum , but unlike Kaiji, there's no life and limb to worry about. Also, so long as Toua does not make an absolutely absurd bet, he will still be a shadow of Akagi in my eyes (though he could distinguish himself in other ways).
Old 2008-10-28, 08:59   Link #35
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Heh, this really is from the creator of Liar Game; despite the different situations, the execution and the psychological impact remains the same. I liked it enough, especially Toua, but the narration was horrendous. When will people ever learn - more show, less tell. Not sure if I can conveniently play deaf to more such narration with the next episodes, we'll see...
Old 2008-10-28, 09:11   Link #36
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah, the narration seems a bit weird this time around since Baseball is such a universally known sport. But you never know. So many people just don't know it by heart I guess.

Also, Toua does enough of a job explaining things naturally as is the conventional way of storytelling. The narration isn't a sour point for me, but it does feel a bit strange a times.
Old 2008-10-28, 09:43   Link #37
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

EP 1: OMG the OP freakin' rocks. /though wth if there wasn't any baseball on it someone would probably think it's a shoujo series lol. As for the EP, very nice. Nice to see a baseball type of gambling. Really new and very interesting.
Old 2008-10-28, 10:47   Link #38
Molenir

I started watching this thinking it was a baseball anime, not a knockoff of Kaiji which I hated. I was thinking more along the lines of Ookiku Furikabutte, ya know an actual sports anime. After watching the first episode, I realized, this is a definite skipper. Just not worth my time.
Old 2008-10-28, 13:36   Link #39
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Well, certainly this anime gives some nostalgic Kaiji vibes. I hope it will go in a different path though. Kaiji was a good anime but I simply can't picture the same thing happening in baseball. It's understandable to a degree but it's a very thin line after which it all starts to become... silly.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-28, 17:05   Link #40
LifeILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
I started watching this thinking it was a baseball anime, not a knockoff of Kaiji which I hated. I was thinking more along the lines of Ookiku Furikabutte, ya know an actual sports anime. After watching the first episode, I realized, this is a definite skipper. Just not worth my time.
I don't understand how you can hate an anime like Kaiji or Akagi....
Closed Thread

Tags
gambling, seinen, sports