whenever that is......
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 13:41   Link #582
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
They seem to be redoing COMPLETELY episode 1... From what I've seen of the previews. They need to redraw Integra in almost every scene, and Alucard, and Rip, etc... Which includes new animation. Probably most of the other episodes too.... Episode 5 was NOT only Madhouse product but also Satelight, you can tell the transmission-was-on, but not quite as episodes 6 and 7 were 100% pure Madhouse. Not one episode but 5, I think they should have said it would take it a year at least from start on myself.

They are also waiting for Hirano's cover (and he's right now a "busy, popular mangaka"). Which will probably delay this even longer...

It wasn't the Nazis... But the studio's liberties (some Ueda still takes, I say, he has a vision of Hellsing that sneaks into episode 1 of the OVA that wasn't in the Manga).

The changes they did also had NOTHING to do with "not enough source material". But because Gonzo likes to change stuff for better or worse (I liked the Anime, mind you, I still do, but I don't think they even tried to stay close to the manga).

Spoiler for And How:
Changes are inevitable, and to be honest I like the changes they made. They made it more gritty and "realistic", and not so silly and romanticized. And I prefer Seras as the protagonist POV. She retained the bulk of her innocence (at least up until Bernadotte's death and she becomes a true vampire, more or less an inevitable personality change) and does provide comic relief, despite the darker undertones of the OVA.

I think the OVA basically solved all the writing flaws that were present in the manga and certainly the anime. For instance, if the Round Table really were competent, they should have been able to muster more resistance than the token forces deployed in London in both the manga and OVA. Also, Alucard and Integra's meeting should have been charged with both mortal and sexual tension. Alucard is a goddamn Nosferatu, not a fluffy pet bunny rabbit. He only served the Hellsing family because he was sealed to them. He's an monster in (mostly) human form, and it's only through his experiences fighting for Integra that he grows into something more (Alucard alludes to the importance of being human more times than I can count).

What I'm trying to say is that the changes they made were both necessary and good. Complaining because it's different won't accomplish anything but detract from your overall enjoyment. Just be thankful they decided to remake this series with an OVA at all.
Old 2010-10-22, 09:41   Link #583
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Today the blu-ray box for Vol1-5 of Hellsing was released. The official site has also gotten a complete revamp, along with some very interesting information.

http://www.geneon-ent.co.jp/rondorob...ing/index.html

"Final season VIII-X
HELLSING STUDIO
Graphinica x Kelmadick"

This confirms a few things:
- The OVA will be 10 volumes long in total
- Madhouse has also been removed from the project
- Graphinica and Kelmadick will take over production of the last 3 volumes

http://www.graphinica.com/en/about/index.html

Quote:
Graphinica is a CG/VFX studio established by Q-TEC, INC, transferred originally from Studio GONZO's Digital VFX Team, a pioneer in digital animation.

With collaboration of Q-TEC, INC's post production techniques and GONZO's creativity known in the famous works such as: "Blue Submarine No.6", "Yukikaze", "Last Exile", "Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo" and "Afro Samurai", we will continue to position ourselves as a leading edge studio of visual graphics.
How ironic that in a way Hellsing is going to be completed by GONZO after all. :P
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 10:49   Link #584
Jarmel

Aw fuck. We were doing so well too. Explains the delay with 8 but damn this is bad news. Why in god's name did they drop it? Too much work?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 11:02   Link #585
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Today the blu-ray box for Vol1-5 of Hellsing was released. The official site has also gotten a complete revamp, along with some very interesting information.

http://www.geneon-ent.co.jp/rondorob...ing/index.html

"Final season VIII-X
HELLSING STUDIO
Graphinica x Kelmadick"

This confirms a few things:
- The OVA will be 10 volumes long in total
- Madhouse has also been removed from the project
- Graphinica and Kelmadick will take over production of the last 3 volumes

http://www.graphinica.com/en/about/index.html

How ironic that in a way Hellsing is going to be completed by GONZO after all. :P
Gonzo?

/fail
Old 2010-10-22, 12:12   Link #586
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I take it Madhouse being removed from the project has something to do with the very long wait since the last episode. Makes sense.
Old 2010-10-22, 12:16   Link #587
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I take it Madhouse being removed from the project has something to do with the very long wait since the last episode. Makes sense.
I'm really curious as to what the hell is going on over there. Madhouse just re-did 1-5 so I can understand the delay but I wonder if one of the higher-ups lost their patience. If any show deserved a behind the scenes documentary then this would be it. It really makes no sense especially as Madhouse was doing a pretty good job.
Old 2010-10-22, 14:06   Link #588
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
I'm really curious as to what the hell is going on over there. Madhouse just re-did 1-5 so I can understand the delay but I wonder if one of the higher-ups lost their patience. If any show deserved a behind the scenes documentary then this would be it. It really makes no sense especially as Madhouse was doing a pretty good job.
Damn straight, this show needs a documentary on the development process has an example of what NOT to do...

And GONZO? Really? Damn that made me laugh my head of right now. I wasn't even sure they were still alive
Old 2010-10-25, 19:09   Link #589
Friday
Im shy too...

at least now we all know whats happening.......

Spoiler for prediction....:
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 19:19   Link #590
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Graphinica's not really GONZO. It's more like QTEC's animation arm. Link

Graphinica apparently also worked on the original Hellsing when it was a part of GONZO.

Last edited by orion; 2010-10-25 at 19:35.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 22:45   Link #591
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Graphinica apparently also worked on the original Hellsing when it was a part of GONZO.
That doesn't really inspire hope in me.
Old 2010-10-27, 13:47   Link #592
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Graphinica is very much GONZO. From 1999 until 2009, the staff were exclusively part of GONZO as the digital VFX and compositing studio. Graphinica did not exist before 2009. When GONZO dissolved all their studios and assets in 2009, the staff from the studio started up Graphinica under Q-TEC.

They do not do ANY traditional animation, this should be stressed heavily. They are not an animation studio, they are a digital works studio. This means they do digital effects, editing, compositing, etc. It's pretty obvious that Kelmadick will be handling the animation production ends of things, while Graphinica handles the 3DCG, editing, and basically editing and putting the content together into an episode.

As far as the work that Graphinica does is concerned, they are 100% GONZO. Saying that Graphinica is not GONZO is like saying BONES was not originally Sunrise.
Old 2010-10-27, 13:59   Link #593
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Oh, and I think I should add that it seems Madhouse might not have been involved with the recent blu-ray box set release after all. It's hard to get any real information on it because I don't think anyone bought it (anyone here?), but someone on 2ch has stated that all the corrections on the animation were handled entirely by Ryoji Nakamori and Yasuhiro Matsumura. No one has mentioned who handled the compositing and editing (which would be the other half of the work on the re-release), so it could be Madhouse, or they could already have moved on to Graphinica.

I wish I could buy it and check the credits, but I don't really feel like dropping another 300 bucks on something I already own. Not to mention, FUNimation will almost certainly be releasing the blu-ray versions next year for a much lower price...

If anyone actually bought the blu-ray box set, the credits would be very helpful!
Old 2010-10-27, 15:18   Link #594
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Oh, and I think I should add that it seems Madhouse might not have been involved with the recent blu-ray box set release after all. It's hard to get any real information on it because I don't think anyone bought it (anyone here?), but someone on 2ch has stated that all the corrections on the animation were handled entirely by Ryoji Nakamori and Yasuhiro Matsumura. No one has mentioned who handled the compositing and editing (which would be the other half of the work on the re-release), so it could be Madhouse, or they could already have moved on to Graphinica.

I wish I could buy it and check the credits, but I don't really feel like dropping another 300 bucks on something I already own. Not to mention, FUNimation will almost certainly be releasing the blu-ray versions next year for a much lower price...

If anyone actually bought the blu-ray box set, the credits would be very helpful!

Yea I have the boxset, got it in today. No clue where to look.
Old 2010-10-27, 15:22   Link #595
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Yea I have the boxset, got it in today. No clue where to look.
Any chance you'll be able to post some impressions/comparisons of it while you're at it? I'm pretty interested in the content and how good it looks in HD. Especially volume 4, my favorite.

As for the credits, I think there should be a staff listing in the booklet? In the previous OVA volumes the back of the booklet always had the credit list for that volume. Of course ideally, the ending credits for each volume from the footage itself would be very helpful, but I'm not sure if that's too much trouble for you.
Old 2010-10-27, 15:24   Link #596
Jarmel

Damn. Most of it's in Kanji but Graphinica and Kelmadick are on the back and Q-Tec is listed as Post Production.

Madhouse is nowhere to be mentioned. So I would assume yes Madhouse didn't do it.
Old 2010-10-27, 15:39   Link #597
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Damn. Most of it's in Kanji but Graphinica and Kelmadick are on the back and Q-Tec is listed as Post Production.

Madhouse is nowhere to be mentioned. So I would assume yes Madhouse didn't do it.
If you can take a clean photo, I'll translate the credits. Thanks a lot!
Old 2010-10-27, 16:20   Link #598
Jarmel

Spoiler for Pictures be large:

Tell me if you need better photos, only have access to Iphone4 right now.

Last edited by Jarmel; 2010-10-27 at 16:37.
Old 2010-10-27, 16:33   Link #599
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Urgh. Thumbnails, please.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:00   Link #600
Jarmel

Screenshots from the set.

Episode 1:http://img42.imageshack.us/g/hellsin...apshot434.jpg/
Episode 2:http://img89.imageshack.us/g/hellsin...napshot03.jpg/
Episode 3:http://img529.imageshack.us/g/hellsi...napshot42.jpg/
Episode 4:http://img716.imageshack.us/g/hellsi...napshot45.jpg/
Episode 5:http://img229.imageshack.us/g/hellsi...napshot39.jpg/

Last edited by Jarmel; 2010-10-27 at 18:01.

Tags
action, seinen