AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-06-08, 02:40   Link #1
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu (light novel)

Thread for discussion on the light novel of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

From Neosam's post:
Spoiler for covers:

Author: Igarashi Yuusaku
Illustrator: Shaa

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu is set at the private high school Hakujō Academy in Japan and centers around the male protagonist Yūto Ayase and his classmate Haruka Nogizaka. While Yūto is rather ordinary, Haruka is very attractive, intelligent, and rich. Due to this, she is the school's most unattainable girl and is so idolized that her classmates give her the French nicknames "Nuit Étoile" (The Silver Star of the Night) and "Lumière du Clavier" (The Shining Princess on the Piano). One day, Yūto's good friend Nobunaga Asakura asks him to return a book to the school library, and when he goes to return it, Yūto stumbles across Haruka and her darkest secret — she is a diehard fan of anime, manga, and the otaku culture. Yūto promises to keep her secret hidden and in return he becomes her confidante of sorts as he accompanies her to Akihabara, and visits her home often.
---

Have only read the first volume so far...

So far, my impressions on this novel is... normal (and plain), in a good way (8/10, I guess).
The volume was light (atmosphere-wise) and it was funny every now and then (though it was more of chuckle-level comedy, not laugh out loud-level).
Pretty predictable too, though it still had its surprising moments.
Spoiler:

The first chapter was considerably boring, but it got better as the volume went on. Unlike the misleading paragraph above (points above at the synopsis), Haruka wasn't a "diehard" fan. She likes the stuff, but she is less of an otaku than I thought she was (either that, or it is just because the book didn't focus much on otaku-related stuff. And not much of the content in the volume was about otaku-ness and parodying. In the end, I probably liked that way better.

Character-wise... So-so?
Yuuto was very normal. Not wimpy or very manly, just normal. So normal in appearance that in one illustration, he immediately reminded me of that Rozen Maiden boy (Jun?). Sometimes, I feel he talks way too much (in his head), but that is where some of the successful comedy comes from.
Haruka was... okay, I guess. Sure, she's cute and attractive and whatever, but after watching so much anime/manga, it isn't hard to go "Though this *points* girl is even better" or wonder "What makes her so great (appearance)?!". Her clumsiness and gestures seem to be an attempt to moe-fy her... (thinking about it more realistically, she really should stop crying so much. It's a bit annoying. Only if you think about it realistically though.)
The rest (almost) of the named characters are decently fun to enjoy too (Nobunaga reminded me of that guy from History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi). Ruko and Yukari are completely the type of character I hate. Especially Ruko.
On the other hand, the remaining nameless characters (+ 1 named one) are fanboys/girls, annoying, and dislikable.

The art is nice. It is a lot more shoujo-like than I prefer, but it works. Though I don't think some body shot of Yukari and Ruko with shojo art is very attractive. Then again, I don't like the two, so that might be the reason...

Saying "I'm looking forward to the next volume!" is an over-exaggeration, but this could become a fun series to read. And one month until the anime.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 06:55   Link #2
lotus7
Aria Obsessive

Indeed, i'm looking forward to the anime myself, as far as the novels go though... well, either I learn to read kanji (not bloody likely) or I pray for a translation from baka tsuki or the like (also not bloody likely).
Old 2008-07-12, 09:46   Link #3
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Thread for discussion on the light novel of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

From Neosam's post:
Spoiler for covers:

Author: Igarashi Yuusaku
Illustrator: Shaa

From Wikipedia:

---

Have only read the first volume so far...

So far, my impressions on this novel is... normal (and plain), in a good way (8/10, I guess).
The volume was light (atmosphere-wise) and it was funny every now and then (though it was more of chuckle-level comedy, not laugh out loud-level).
Pretty predictable too, though it still had its surprising moments.
Spoiler:

The first chapter was considerably boring, but it got better as the volume went on. Unlike the misleading paragraph above (points above at the synopsis), Haruka wasn't a "diehard" fan. She likes the stuff, but she is less of an otaku than I thought she was (either that, or it is just because the book didn't focus much on otaku-related stuff. And not much of the content in the volume was about otaku-ness and parodying. In the end, I probably liked that way better.

Character-wise... So-so?
Yuuto was very normal. Not wimpy or very manly, just normal. So normal in appearance that in one illustration, he immediately reminded me of that Rozen Maiden boy (Jun?). Sometimes, I feel he talks way too much (in his head), but that is where some of the successful comedy comes from.
Haruka was... okay, I guess. Sure, she's cute and attractive and whatever, but after watching so much anime/manga, it isn't hard to go "Though this *points* girl is even better" or wonder "What makes her so great (appearance)?!". Her clumsiness and gestures seem to be an attempt to moe-fy her... (thinking about it more realistically, she really should stop crying so much. It's a bit annoying. Only if you think about it realistically though.)
The rest (almost) of the named characters are decently fun to enjoy too (Nobunaga reminded me of that guy from History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi). Ruko and Yukari are completely the type of character I hate. Especially Ruko.
On the other hand, the remaining nameless characters (+ 1 named one) are fanboys/girls, annoying, and dislikable.

The art is nice. It is a lot more shoujo-like than I prefer, but it works. Though I don't think some body shot of Yukari and Ruko with shojo art is very attractive. Then again, I don't like the two, so that might be the reason...

Saying "I'm looking forward to the next volume!" is an over-exaggeration, but this could become a fun series to read. And one month until the anime.
where cAN i read the subbed version of this novel?? could you pls tell me im begging you
maxxus0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 10:19   Link #4
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxus0923 View Post
where cAN i read the subbed version of this novel?? could you pls tell me im begging you
Its not translated by any group to my knowledge.
Old 2009-02-23, 02:07   Link #5
Matt122005

Baka-Tsuki might actually pick this up for translation possibly. Its being discussed. ^_^

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 23:32   Link #6
WushuOtaku90

I've been searching everywhere for translations of the Novel (and Ch. 4 of the manga), but after what Neo said. I hope it can be translate soon though. I love Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu a lot.
WushuOtaku90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 16:38   Link #7
lemming456
Half-Asian

Send a message via AIM to lemming456 Send a message via MSN to lemming456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Baka-Tsuki might actually pick this up for translation possibly. Its being discussed. ^_^

-Matt
I'm assuming, sadly, that AnimeSuki did not pick this up, as Matt had said they may. As he did comment 7 months ago. It makes me sad, because the Anime was quite enjoyable, and I can't find anything past chapter 3 for the Manga. Fortunately, the next anime season comes out in October. If you guys do decide to pick this up, or if anybody finds out that anyone else picks this up, PM me with the details, please.

-Steve
lemming456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 21:39   Link #8
Flere821
Lurker

Wow, so there is a thread for this light novel series after all... I've recently finished reading the 1st 11 LNs and watching the anime.

1st Season was alright, though they over-emphasised that bit with the Sutherland guy when it was just a minor spat in the novels. 2nd season, way too much fanservice than necessary, and they made Shiina a butt-monkey when in the novels she was second to Nogizaka in terms of skills such as the piano (granted, there's still a large gap between them).

Also, from Vol11:

Spoiler for relationships:

Overall, Nogizaka Haruka no himitsu is probably one of the best comedy LNs I have ever read, probably ever better than ToraDora. This focuses less on romance than Toradora and more on comedy, and I must say it works pretty well.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 21:43   Link #9
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Wow, so there is a thread for this light novel series after all... I've recently finished reading the 1st 11 LNs and watching the anime.

1st Season was alright, though they over-emphasised that bit with the Sutherland guy when it was just a minor spat in the novels. 2nd season, way too much fanservice than necessary, and they made Shiina a butt-monkey when in the novels she was second to Nogizaka in terms of skills such as the piano (granted, there's still a large gap between them).

Also, from Vol11:

Overall, Nogizaka Haruka no himitsu is probably one of the best comedy LNs I have ever read, probably ever better than ToraDora. This focuses less on romance than Toradora and more on comedy, and I must say it works pretty well.
How about the other girls like Mika or even the Maids?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 21:55   Link #10
Flere821
Lurker

Mika is jealous that Yuuto only has eyes for Haruka, and tried on more than one occasion to make him notice her - but Mika hasn't tried stealing Yuuto from Haruka yet.

As for the maids, Yuuto's generally well liked by them. Hazuki's close to him (as shown when she told him her most personal story about one of her stuffed animals that no-one that's not very close to her would know - and Hazuki get teased because of this at times).

Nanami (the one with the hammer) likes Yuuto too, as in one of the novels they made a arc focusing on her:

Spoiler for Nanami:

As for Alice, well that bit with the frog at the maids and butler party pretty much says everything. Other maids wasn't show much in the LNs
Old 2010-10-28, 22:23   Link #11
cyberdemon

Quote:

Also, from Vol11:

if you can read it why not give bakatsuki some help with it? There hasn't been much of it lately.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 22:29   Link #12
Johnny
Working the bags...

Thanks for sharing a brief insight into the LN's. I heard they were underrated and definitely worth a read. Sadly only a few chapters have been translated, but it's understandable with how busy most people are...

Just a quick question though. Has Haruka ever found out it was Yuuto that gave her that copy of Innocent Smile way back when...?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 22:24   Link #13
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
if you can read it why not give bakatsuki some help with it? There hasn't been much of it lately.
I'm busy with other stuff in Real Life, and also I'm a translator for Toaru Majutsu no Index on BakaTsuki already ^^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Thanks for sharing a brief insight into the LN's. I heard they were underrated and definitely worth a read. Sadly only a few chapters have been translated, but it's understandable with how busy most people are...

Just a quick question though. Has Haruka ever found out it was Yuuto that gave her that copy of Innocent Smile way back when...?
To my knowledge, Haruka haven't found out yet.
Old 2010-10-29, 23:07   Link #14
blitz1/2

Has the light novel EVER explained who is the missing number 2 maid? Considering the fact that it seems to be a taboo subject, either the prev. #2 just somehow died in an accident or some freak show or w/e it is. I don't see how hard it is to simply hire another person to replace the current #2 if she was incompetent.

Old 2010-10-30, 22:34   Link #15
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Has the light novel EVER explained who is the missing number 2 maid? Considering the fact that it seems to be a taboo subject, either the prev. #2 just somehow died in an accident or some freak show or w/e it is. I don't see how hard it is to simply hire another person to replace the current #2 if she was incompetent.
No, the issue with the #2 wasn't explained in the novels yet.

And I've only read up to Volume 11, and there's supposed to be 12 out now I think (At least I can find the illustrations for them) - I don't suppose anyone know what happened to that one? It could just be that Jap->Chinese translators haven't gotten around to it, but it's been some weeks now >.>
Old 2010-10-31, 05:02   Link #16
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Well, it's probably just for the comedy.

As you can see, we're pretty short-handed on translators here at B-T. The only translator on NHnH, Dragonst said that he'll continue with Vol 1 Chp 3 sometime soon, so we'll see how it goes (maybe after he finished ToraDora!).
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 22:03   Link #17
Flere821
Lurker

Alright, finished Vol12 of this series a few days ago, but never remembered to post something about it here ^.^;

Basically the next volume will be the last one of this series, with the Author's afterword stating the 'Final Boss' standing between Yuuto and Haruka's romantic relationship will show up.

And as what I've written earlier about Vol11...

Spoiler for Vol11 correction + some Vol12 info:
Old 2010-12-11, 22:19   Link #18
blitz1/2

Quote:
Alright, finished Vol12 of this series a few days ago, but never remembered to post something about it here ^.^;

Basically the next volume will be the last one of this series, with the Author's afterword stating the 'Final Boss' standing between Yuuto and Haruka's romantic relationship will show up.

And as what I've written earlier about Vol11...

Spoiler for Vol11 correction + some Vol12 info:
The final boss huh? I wonder if it's Mika?

Old 2010-12-11, 22:22   Link #19
Johnny
Working the bags...

It's the unknown #2 maid...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 22:35   Link #20
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
It's the unknown #2 maid...
Maybe she's Yuri for Haruka and it got... dangerous to keep her around