AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-16, 10:56   Link #481
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well I gave Sacred Seven another episode to hook me because I trusted it would, so I figure I might as well afford Mawaru Penguin Drum the same chance and allow it a second episode to try and get me on board. What a difference a second episode can make sometimes.

Mind you starting off with a shot of a toilet was not at all what I was expecting and seemed to bode poorly at the outset.
As about anyone in the world watching this show could have expected it doesn't take long into the episode before we are treated to that transformation sequence again (the whole thing....), but this time the two brothers are actually formally given the quest to get the Penguindrum along with instructions on where to start. HUGE!

Honest to god that's all I needed to get into this show, just one clear goal. I suppose having to wait until episode 02 for it isn't terribly bad and my fears that the show would meander were entirely mis-founded. Couldn't be much happier at this revelation.

Another thing I liked about this episode and that was a huge improvement over episode 1 for me is that we get a little more reflection from our two brothers and find that they are indeed very aware of how bizarre the situation has gotten with Himari's resurrection. That kind of makes it a little easier for me to get into the weirdness of this shows premise that we have a grounding factor in our main characters such as that.

Some of the humour in this episode was actually pretty amusing. I'm not normally a huge fan of slapstick, but the stuff with the penguins on the train got some chuckles and our brown haired bro using his handsomeness to diffuse the situation (complete with roses in the background) got a big laugh from this admitted comedy snob.

One other thing I noted is that while Ikuhara has a clear style that permeates this show (especially during the transformation and subway sequences), it's not an overly distracting style (like say Shinbo's during the Madoka fight I saw in episode 02 last night) even at it's most prevalent. I can appreciate the way the backgrounds are done without having it distract from the actual dialogue or plotline of the episode.

Just an overall much better episode than the first one for me. I barely felt that sense of detachment and like I was going to have to familiarize myself with the director to get any of this. By the end of the second episode there's even a subplot developing with Ringo turning out to be stalking someone and going to great lengths to try to impress him. I actually want to see where this is going now, whereas at the end of the first episode I was all kinds of ready to not bother anymore.
Old 2011-07-16, 11:58   Link #482
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Really happy to see you enjoying this Kaioshin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
If the brothers are fine with breaking less important laws, are they then also willing to break more serious ones? It's possible the the whole excursion is a lie and that the Penguin hat is only using it to gain greater power over the brothers.
I would have to say that Kanba would be willing to do whatever it takes to keep his sister alive, even murder I think. Sho on the other hand might be less inclined to do so, going by what we seen in this episode.
Quote:
Humor works differently for different people, and I happen to find most anime humor unfunny. Episode 2 really was the funniest anime for me this year. Albeit I haven't tried watching very many comedies either, but most of them have left me cold anyways.
Well, I thought that Level E is the best comedy for this year, though I understand that comedy is a strange thing with people. I did think the episode was funny as well, just not what I would call the funniest this year is all
Quote:
At some point, they're going to have to spill the beans to Himari, and that episode is going to be fun to watch. Shouma is less useful than Kanba in stalking Ringo, but without him, who knows how far Kanba would have gone?
Fun doesn't begin to cover it

That's a good question I think. Sure, Kanba came out looking more competent (getting the radios, using the penguins, marking them etc.) at the job (though in retrospect, maybe it's better that Sho wasn't that good. After all, they were stalking and spying on a girls school. Says a lot about what sort of character Kanba is if he's this good and ready at spying at girls ) but Sho being the more level headed and cautious of the two helps him not be too hasty.
Quote:
There's certainly a strong sense of purpose imported to just about all the elements in Penguindrum - from the music to the sound design to the writing to the plot and so forth. Given the attention to detail, I don't think there's anything in the show that isn't there for a specific reason.
Absolutely, the music especially. I think what's the most telling is that in this season, you have another show, Mayo Chiki!, which has music composed by Yukari Hashimoto, the same as this show, and while both scores are pretty distinctive and fit each show, the actual placement and usage of the tracks is worlds apart.

I think it's clear that having Ikuhara so deeply involved in the making of the show helped it have a more ''united'' direction in all aspects, so that not one thing is going it's own direction.
Quote:
My favorite was simply the reveal of what Kanba intended to do with the tape. It's classic Ikuhara misdirection: imply something, and then subvert it with something else that works even better. Just a wonderful piece of direction.
Yeah that was a good scene as well.

Bah, who am I kidding? There wasn't a thing I didn't pick as a favorite in the episode!

Well, the start I could've done without
Quote:
Mystery? Fantasy? Comedy? Science Fiction? Anybody have any ideas?
All of the above ?

duckroll I think would have a better idea of the author, but since Ikuhara is so involved in all stages of the production, I think it might be more visual based more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It seems the big overarching theme of this anime is going to be fate. Basically how each character deals with the cards they're dealt with in life, how they perceive their fortunes, and what they try to do. Do they accept fate? Fight against it? Try to change it?
I think so as well, and I think that the answer will be different for each character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Penguindrum is yet another example to me of just how important the director of an anime is. Good writers are necessary too, but the director is what makes the series shine. Ikuhara is just absolutely brilliant here.
Hm, I agree with you, but I think that it could also work the other way round.

Having a good, solid core story for an anime can make it excellent even with traditional or even orthodox directing style (Beast Player Erin being the prime recent example)

I think what this shows is by having a director take a more active, involved role in all aspects of the anime ends up giving a more focused work. The same result can be done with competent-to-excellent team work, but both are very hard to achieve.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:12   Link #483
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
That's a good question I think. Sure, Kanba came out looking more competent (getting the radios, using the penguins, marking them etc.) at the job (though in retrospect, maybe it's better that Sho wasn't that good. After all, they were stalking and spying on a girls school. Says a lot about what sort of character Kanba is if he's this good and ready at spying at girls ) but Sho being the more level headed and cautious of the two helps him not be too hasty.
I actually wonder if Kanba has done something similar before and not for the purpose of saving his sister. He was almost too competent at it.

I definitely came out with more admiration of Sho feeling bad about what he was doing.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:30   Link #484
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Well, that was unexpected, bitch is out of her mind. This should be interesting. :3

also, more anime should just man up and give us the panty shots.
Old 2011-07-16, 14:49   Link #485
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
also, more anime should just man up and give us the panty shots.
I much prefer the way Penguindrum goes about panty shot scenes. There's so much life in those scenes then the typical fanservice we're used to seeing these days.
Old 2011-07-16, 14:50   Link #486
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ok ... after ep 2 I can say that I will keep following the show for now ... but ... erm ... it's still weird.
Old 2011-07-16, 15:09   Link #487
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I much prefer the way Penguindrum goes about panty shot scenes. There's so much life in those scenes then the typical fanservice we're used to seeing these days.
I have an aversion to all things fanservice but there isn't really anything all that bad here. And the humor that came out of those scenes was really well done in my opinion. It didn't just feel like a panty shot scenes for the sake of panty shots.
Old 2011-07-16, 15:17   Link #488
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Seriously what the hell is a penguin drum...?

Excellent episode though. A seamless balance of comedy, mystery, stalking, crazy transformation sequence (it's almost magical girl-y), penguin spy action (what is this, Madagascar?), and even a hint of moral dilemma.

Albeit, these girls have bad tastes. Shouma is so cute, can't they see that?
Old 2011-07-16, 15:21   Link #489
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
From the name, I guess a drum made with penguin hide.

Quote:
He's lacking in self-confidence.
Old 2011-07-16, 15:25   Link #490
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Shouma is so cute, can't they see that?
I can. He's adorable.
Old 2011-07-16, 15:26   Link #491
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:

Perhaps there is a reason why this ineffable mystery has been commissioned to the silence of the grave?
Old 2011-07-16, 15:32   Link #492
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
He's lacking in self-confidence.
And Kanba's got it...

A ladies' man who's actually absolutely in love (?) with someone special is an utterly dangerous creature. He'll seduce you for everything he needs then throws you aside without sparing a thought. But I guess that only adds enticing thorns to the roses around his frame. *_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
Perhaps there is a reason why this ineffable mystery has been commissioned to the silence of the grave?
Well let the speculation begin! I suck at speculating so I'll leave it to you guys. Is it a drum made of penguin hide? Is it that dangerous diary? Is it a girl's heart in (stalkery) love? Are we gonna see these two boys doing missions collecting hearts/spirit/crystal/penguin hide/[censored] like some mahou shoujo?
Old 2011-07-16, 15:40   Link #493
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
....Well let the speculation begin! I suck at speculating so I'll leave it to you guys....
Unfortunately I am in the same boat.

Nevertheless I will guess that the penguin drum is the stalker girl herself. No basis for the guess though. Just guessing.
Old 2011-07-16, 15:48   Link #494
Kirarakim

Quote:
I agree, I am a girl and I prefer Shouma. He has the cuter penguin too hmph!

Although I do enjoy Kanba as a character so far. There is something mysterious about him. I just want to know more about him.
Old 2011-07-16, 16:01   Link #495
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
His twin brother literally steals the limelight. You answers your own question; it isn't that Shouma doesn't have good points, it's that he gets overshadowed so he couldn't be seen.

As the audience we got the advantage of the camera focusing on Shouma. But for the characters in the show itself they don't get that angle.
Old 2011-07-16, 16:37   Link #496
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
His twin brother literally steals the limelight. You answers your own question; it isn't that Shouma doesn't have good points, it's that he gets overshadowed so he couldn't be seen.

As the audience we got the advantage of the camera focusing on Shouma. But for the characters in the show itself they don't get that angle.
Well, he looked unpopular even before his brother saved him. (Maybe the fact he didn't have a ready excuse for the "groping" played against him.)
Old 2011-07-16, 16:56   Link #497
Tetsuo00

Its simple. He lacked confidence.
Old 2011-07-16, 18:04   Link #498
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Unfortunately I am in the same boat.

Nevertheless I will guess that the penguin drum is the stalker girl herself. No basis for the guess though. Just guessing.

heh, IMO I thought the diary was suspicious since it had more writing after, she stamped it (:O) (and they "stalked" her for the whole day where she never wrote in it - or maybe it wasn't shown/I never noticed..)

I like the way they tell the story.
Old 2011-07-16, 19:26   Link #499
letsza

here are some Translation of Ringo's Diary :
Spoiler for scene:

our Translator translated it in Thai and I changed it to English again.
Hope my English is not that bad

Last edited by letsza; 2011-07-16 at 19:37.
Old 2011-07-16, 22:48   Link #500
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

@ Shouma
I think he'll have his chance to shine in later episodes. Kanba's just getting more of the spotlight lately... his "skills" seem more useful in what they needed to do in the second episode (specifically, spying).

@letsza
Thanks for the diary translation. I thought it was just a "tabuki-sensei" diary, like the stalker from Mirai Nikki xD
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism