AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-08, 15:02   Link #41
Nosauz

get your info at stopthecap.com, get your congressmen and senators involved, for a free internet not this metered bullshit.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 22:23   Link #42
Green²
It's bacon!

Time Warner Backs Off Metered Billing

Quote:
According to local Rochester, NY ABC affiliate WHAM, Senator Chuck Schumer spoke in Rochester today. While it was simply expected he'd be speaking out against Time Warner Cable's metered billing trial, the Senator announced that he'd spoken with the carrier, and that Time Warner Cable would be backing away from caps and overages in response to unprecedented consumer outrage in trial markets. Schumer's appearance in Rochester was coordinated by Stop The Cap.com, a blog created by Broadband Reports user Phillip Dampier See Profile in response to a growing push toward metered billing.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 22:26   Link #43
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
It's good that they backed off because Time Warner shouldn't be abusing it's monopoly if there's no competition...

But, still... they are still going to do the metered billing in the originally planned places they going to do it in... but not in Rochester, NY.
Old 2009-04-16, 23:08   Link #44
qwertyuiopz

ew

its like rogers here in canada
they now have a limit to how much u download and u pay extra if u pass the limit
for me its a 100gb limit per month and theres 4 computers in the house so...-.-
LAME
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 19:14   Link #45
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
It's good that they backed off because Time Warner shouldn't be abusing it's monopoly if there's no competition...

But, still... they are still going to do the metered billing in the originally planned places they going to do it in... but not in Rochester, NY.
Haven't been lurking on animesuki, because I've been battling timewarner, contacting senators and house reps, any way heres the deal, rochester, austin, greensboro will not have caps, but beaumont, where they originally teseted the "new" billing system will still have caps, any way don't expect timewarner to stop fighting, they will do this again ocne they have "educated" us on the scarcity of bits and bytes, and brownouts, so be prepared for when that day comes, because it will.
Old 2009-04-17, 21:09   Link #46
Vinak
Procrastinator

and when that day comes, I'll be canceling my Time Warner service
Old 2009-04-17, 23:58   Link #47
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Good news! I won't get wrecked with high internet prices.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 06:00   Link #48
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I've always used Comcast. Doesn't affect me in the least.
Old 2009-04-18, 10:04   Link #49
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
atleast comcast is reasonable, but really there shouldn't be caps on the interent, if your going to do a pay for how much bandwidth you use thats fine, but trying to milk out dated lines and nickle and dime us with surcharges of 1$ per gig is ridiculous. They would never try to implement this kind of policy in a market that had fios, go figure. Any way we should get rid of the monopolistic cable companies and have open competition, so that we can actaully catch up to countries in europe or countries like japan or south korea.
Old 2009-04-18, 15:31   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
heh, you don't think Comcast and the other large ISPs aren't taking notes? And wasn't Comcast the one who basically committed piles of felonies with their "man in the middle attack" deviant form of network traffic management?

This is simply one of those arenas where populist sentiment needs to be thumping politicians on the head because no matter how big the donations - it won't matter if their voters are pissed off enough. The large ISPs need to be kept on as tight an accountable leash as possible - especially if they're incestually bonded to corporate content providers (like Time-Warner or Comcast). These guys would dearly like to pervert the Internet into a passive consumer experience like broadcast or cable tv.
Old 2009-04-18, 15:43   Link #51
Nosauz

Well the two biggest issues are 1) time warner, comcast are service providers and content providers leading to conflict of interest when they try to preserve their content services such as cable, and ppv, 2) and more importantly is that they have monopolistic franchise and have carved up the states into their own little domains, and with the way the internet is today, they pretty much are like a utility, a utility with zero regulation, and this is a problem. Heres hoping that we can get some antitrust action here to break up the monopolies these companies have in the areas. I'm all for deregulation, but when there is a monopoly established, there is no way free markets can work accordingly, and the fact that dsl/telecos are pretty much in bed with the cable companies it grows more and more apperant how little choice we have in ISPs.
Old 2009-04-18, 15:48   Link #52
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
heh, you don't think Comcast and the other large ISPs aren't taking notes? And wasn't Comcast the one who basically committed piles of felonies with their "man in the middle attack" deviant form of network traffic management?

This is simply one of those arenas where populist sentiment needs to be thumping politicians on the head because no matter how big the donations - it won't matter if their voters are pissed off enough. The large ISPs need to be kept on as tight an accountable leash as possible - especially if they're incestually bonded to corporate content providers (like Time-Warner or Comcast). These guys would dearly like to pervert the Internet into a passive consumer experience like broadcast or cable tv.
Probably the only cable company that isn't doing caps right now is Cablevision (but don't allow seeding on bittorrent unless you turn on encryption), which is actually spending money on upgrading it's networks and giving free wifi in competition with Fios. The problem with Comcast and Time Warner is they would probably want to just save the money and continue to put restrictions... If they were to upgrade their networks to DOCSIS 3.0 or fiber optics, they wouldn't need to do these outrageous caps, bandwidth throttling, etc, but you know that won't happen, right?
Old 2009-04-18, 15:59   Link #53
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Probably the only cable company that isn't doing caps right now is Cablevision (but don't allow seeding on bittorrent unless you turn on encryption), which is actually spending money on upgrading it's networks and giving free wifi in competition with Fios. The problem with Comcast and Time Warner is they would probably want to just save the money and continue to put restrictions... If they were to upgrade their networks to DOCSIS 3.0 or fiber optics, they wouldn't need to do these outrageous caps, bandwidth throttling, etc, but you know that won't happen, right?
but thats their plan, be behind a generation of technology so when you do open up docsis, you charge not only for the modem, but triple book the lines with subscribers that continue to net you speeds of 10mb down and 1 up, and you know what I don't even get the 1/8th of the speed that time warner claims, and I live in a metroplitan area, go figure. Time warner and isps in general want to say that bits and bytes are rare and we need to conserve them, but the truth is they arn't as long as there is electricity running through those cables that set bandwidth will be there, its all about their future plan of not upgrading, charging more, this was never about saving users money.
Old 2009-04-20, 19:19   Link #54
Nosauz

wow jesus fucking christ, they bascially "delayed" their tiered plan to appease customers but theri still roling this crap out in the early fall after a "re-education" of how rare those bits and bytes on the internet are... i really feel sick to my stomach on how this monopoly is trying to squeeze the little guy dry of whats left of his money.
Old 2009-04-21, 03:52   Link #55
User91411
Disabled By Request

If Time Warner did that, you Yanks would understand what we Aussies feel with our damn caps.

Goddamn you Telstra.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 13:01   Link #56
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Now Time Warner is now lobbying to ban local competitors from operating in Time Warner serviced areas in North Carolina.
Quote:
Time Warner lobbies government to cripple community ISP
Christopher Vendemio on 23 April 2009

The incredible wave of negative publicity from Time Warner's (now postponed) plan for bandwidth caps on all of their broadband internet plans has barely died down. That isn't stopping the increasingly despised ISP from giving people another reason to hate them, though. This time around, Time Warner is lobbying the North Carolina state senate to pass laws that would cripple highly competitive community broadband providers and even disqualify them from receiving federal aid from the proposed national stimulus plan.

A while back, the city of Wilson, North Carolina approached both Time Warner and local provider Embarq asking them to provide higher internet access speeds to residents of the city. Unwilling to cut into their profit margins, both companies rejected the proposal. The city, determined to increase the speeds of broadband access, decided to then create Greenlight Inc, a city run fiber optic network providing very affordable high speed internet, cable TV, and VOIP access to all of the city's residents. The problem? It was TOO affordable in the eyes of Time Warner and Embarq as neither company could compete, price wise, with the government effort. In one example, a Greenlight plan that consists of 81 cable TV channels, 10mbps (up and down) internet access, and unlimited VOIP costs residents of the city $99. A comparable plan, with six fewer channels and slower internet speeds, from Time Warner would start at an introductory rate of $137 which then gets increased after the promotional period is over.

Unfortunately, Time Warner's persistence and financial backing seem to be convincing quite a few state leaders. While no final vote has been taken yet, these new anti-competition laws are gaining support from both Republicans and Democrats in the state senate. The city of Wilson is trying its best to fight back. They have started their own blog to bring the public's attention to the issue and to persuade state leaders to reject the Time Warner backed initiative. Wilson residents, the city government, and most people outside of the Time Warner bubble are hoping Wilson can win this war.
Source: Neowin
Old 2009-04-24, 18:04   Link #57
Nosauz

the story behind wilson, is that city officials asked time warner to increase speeds for their residents so that it would promote business growth in the region, at&t and tw both declined so wilson decided to provide this service to its residents, this was after the local cartels had said no to a speed increase. Now tw wants to force the city to stop, and buy up the infrastructure for cheap. And when they do buy it up, there not gonna decrease the price, up the bandwidth, instead their give the same shitty service but stuff more and more customers on the system. this is what makes me so frustrated, state legislators say its anti business, but when you have a monopoly on the region a free market solution can never occur, guess my state officials are just retarded.
Old 2009-04-25, 14:59   Link #58
Cry Havok

How does this
Quote:
Time Warner is lobbying the North Carolina state senate to pass laws that would cripple highly competitive community broadband providers and even disqualify them from receiving federal aid from the proposed national stimulus plan.

lead to this?
Quote:
The city, determined to increase the speeds of broadband access, decided to then create Greenlight Inc, a city run fiber optic network providing very affordable high speed internet, cable TV, and VOIP access to all of the city's residents.
Government is by definition a monopoly. Its the only institution that truly is. The transactions with Time Warner are voluntary, people are not forced to use their services.
Cry Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 15:06   Link #59
Nosauz

But they have a monopoly on the regions services. Look in your town, unless you have fios, you only have your cable company. Ask me then how can people choose whne the internet is such a crucial part of daily life? Monopolies don't help us, and the cable companies are strangling us with their cartels.
Old 2009-04-25, 23:04   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cry Havok View Post
How does this

lead to this?

Government is by definition a monopoly. Its the only institution that truly is. The transactions with Time Warner are voluntary, people are not forced to use their services.
The traditional free-market definitions don't cover where TW operates - the competition in many areas is totally "pretend" with a defacto monopoly in place which isn't properly regulated by the government.

If I don't "choose" to use my electric company - I have no electricity. However, they're a *regulated* monopoly, which means I have some indirect input in how they operate/profiteer via the Public Utility Commission, a government entity.