AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-23, 00:57   Link #181
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
Warning : Extreme graphic image.

Well, the blood shed has started. Is this a curse to happen at the anniversary of Tiananmen Square? I wish the Iranian people good luck.

Spoiler:
That's been all over the world for the past two days.

This was posted today... ***Yes, it's graphic and violent***
Spoiler for More Basij Brutality:

There's a report of the clerics removing the current supreme leader position from the government. If it's true, I hope it brings the kind of changes we all hope it will.
Old 2009-06-23, 05:31   Link #182
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
That's been all over the world for the past two days.

This was posted today... ***Yes, it's graphic and violent***
Spoiler for More Basij Brutality:

There's a report of the clerics removing the current supreme leader position from the government. If it's true, I hope it brings the kind of changes we all hope it will.
Only the Council of Assembly has the power to do so, and their head has relatives arrested by Khamieni, probably as a bargaining chip to stay in power. If I am not wrong, the President has the right to VETO the CoA's decision to remove the Supreme Leader from power. Since the 2 (Ahmad and Kham) are in cahoots, it probably won't make much of a difference if it turns out to be so.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 05:51   Link #183
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
its over
the whole thing is dying down now that the RG got involved
maybe they would strike or something
but the protests are dying down
Old 2009-06-23, 07:53   Link #184
Shadow Kira01

It would seem like it.. The protests have ended..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 12:38   Link #185
sa547
*Author

However, at this moment the opposition are using different tactics of silent protest to avoid much trouble and bloodshed, even as state TV says that everything is quiet.

But I don't think Ahmadinejad nor the Ayatollah are going to have a nice, quiet commute to work from this week onward, and scapegoating isn't gonna work anymore.

Right now, Neda has a full name, and even after death she's anywhere.
Old 2009-06-23, 12:46   Link #186
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Ms. Maloney says that what he lacks in charisma and theological heft (he is not considered among the country's top scholars of Shiite Islam), Khamenei has made up for in building networks of appointees and other relationships in Iran's political elite.
"I've always thought of him as the Dick Cheney of Iran," she says. "You wouldn't have expected, based on his personality, that he'd amass this kind of power."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0623/p06s02-wome.html
well that explain a lot.

Anyone seen Dick Cheney around lately?
Old 2009-06-23, 17:11   Link #187
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Things have calmed down, for now. It remains to be seen if it's over.

State TV is reporting that the Neda shooting was staged. No surprise there. Unfortunately, the older folks are believing it. I read one report of an Iranian saying his parents refused to believe their government would kill someone like that.

If Ahmadinejad and Khamenei stay in power after all of this, then we'll really know what kind of government we have to contend with.
Old 2009-06-23, 18:08   Link #188
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I hope that if there really is a national strike in the next days that no major violence is going to happen. On the long run things can still turn out positive for the opposition. But then again, people have to live too. The regime is backed by the money of the oil, they are in a better position in a national strike.
Old 2009-06-23, 18:33   Link #189
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

a strike wont effect much
the regime wont change over it
and the goverment has already spoken about the election recount
when you got oil funding you, then who cares about the people
regimes dont change becouse of strikes, and the "revolutiionary fire" has all but been extinguished
nothing changes and the deaths and destraction have all been in vain
move along... nothing to see here
Old 2009-06-23, 21:45   Link #190
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The Iranian oil industry is in disarray as well. Thanks to their insistence that all drilling must be done by themselves, foreign companies give them basic technology, which of course is not highly productive, to put it mildly.

Regime changes can start from strikes. If they are to succeed, a strike is only the beginning. Again, we have no idea who the various factions with guns are loyal to, and how deep that loyalty runs. For now, it is still a waiting game, and some tight-rope walking by all sides.

Act 1 has ended. When will Act 2 be staged?

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-06-23 at 23:32.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 01:47   Link #191
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
"I know many of you are on a 24-hour news cycle but I am not." says Obama.
No wonder why it took him a few days before coming up with a more proper reaction to the issues of Iran. Finally, he is taking the right approach to the situation but it is somewhat late as that the crackdown has already began and that tons of people are getting killed by the moment. More importantly, it also appears that most tactics and strategies such as economic sanctions are mostly going to be ineffective.

Spoiler for off-topic:
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 02:54   Link #192
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
nothing changes and the deaths and destraction have all been in vain
move along... nothing to see here
I wouldn't be so sure about that. David Ignatius at The Washington Post sums it up well... Bet on Neda's Side.

And some interesting perspective on the Basij in this Salon article.

Quote:
The cops look back at me with little interest.

I receive a very different response from the young basijis coming up the road. They show up after the police, in beige camo trucks traveling in convoy. Today, under daylight, they emerge from whatever hole it is they hide in, wearing uniforms to go with their oversize helmets. Think "Spaceballs." In the back of each transport truck a large red flag is flapping.

When I fix my eyes on them, the look is deadly, menacing.

Basijis. The lesser cousin of the police, they are the more serious of the two. For the cops it's a job, and so far at least their hearts don't seem to be in it. For these basijis, it's their reason to be. They bring an enthusiasm to their "work" that only an ardent hobbyist can. As a member of my family notes, this is their good time. They don't screw, they don't drink or smoke pot (bet you didn't know that went on in Iran). What else are they going to do with all of that energy? For 360 days of the year basijis don't do shit, but for the past week ...
Old 2009-06-24, 03:01   Link #193
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

From that account, Iran seems to have its own version of the Hitler Youth. When a regime uses child militia and treat them well when they are not needed, you know that something is seriously messed up, and fixing it will be one hell of a task.
Old 2009-06-24, 04:00   Link #194
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
From that account, Iran seems to have its own version of the Hitler Youth. When a regime uses child militia and treat them well when they are not needed, you know that something is seriously messed up, and fixing it will be one hell of a task.
Almost every country has that in the form of national "cadet" corps, it is what they teach and instill into the youths that turn them into angels or demons.

Firing at rifle at 14 doesn't make a kid a child soldier, neither is teaching him to kill. But letting him executing what he has learnt is a different issue altogether.

I forsee a bloody coup within the next few months, something like the Bloody Sunday in 1905 Russia.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-06-24, 04:38   Link #195
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

the basijis are like the SA
the nazi's brown shirts
where do you think they get indoctranited
Old 2009-06-24, 04:51   Link #196
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Almost every country has that in the form of national "cadet" corps, it is what they teach and instill into the youths that turn them into angels or demons.

Firing at rifle at 14 doesn't make a kid a child soldier, neither is teaching him to kill. But letting him executing what he has learnt is a different issue altogether.

I forsee a bloody coup within the next few months, something like the Bloody Sunday in 1905 Russia.
Aye. But radical teachings + letting them loose on the streets armed = People, we have a problem.
Old 2009-06-24, 05:55   Link #197
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
the basijis are like the SA
the nazi's brown shirts
where do you think they get indoctranited
The 1979 Revolution. What else?

I think Iran history since the Revolution is pretty synonymous with Animal Farm by Orwell. Bunch of hypocritical pigs tarnished the religion of Islam by reinterpreting it to suit their tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Aye. But radical teachings + letting them loose on the streets armed = People, we have a problem.
I have a solution. Genocide.

Islam seems to be a complicated religion. Why do some people interpret it as a religion of peace laced with war? Right now, even the Muslim "freedom fighters" fight for a "jihad" when the cause is so flawed.

I refuse to believe that Islam or Christianity has some omnipotent being who relishes in bodily fluids like a rampaging ravenous omnivore. It is just some asses who wanted power by pretending to be a messenger of that being of worship, then killing those who stand in their way.

Old 2009-06-24, 06:38   Link #198
Oppius
Banned

Here in Malaysia(which I came from), the media praises Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for his "fair and square" victory. They also praises Iranian government handling the riot. I heard a rumor that Malaysian government put their anti-riot police at Iranian embassy because they knew there will be some protest take place. In other words Malaysian government and people wants Mahmoud Ahmadinejad win because they saw him as "hero" who can exterminate the Jews in this world, primarily in Israel. They always dreamed to see Israel's downfall.

Since I'm a Malaysian too, don't count me as one. In fact I was never in their side from beginning. Want to know what Malaysian people looks like. They are no better than Israelis and Americans which they believed their media was controlled by the Jews. Malaysian media is no better either. Just a social propaganda crap.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 10:52   Link #199
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Islam seems to be a complicated religion. Why do some people interpret it as a religion of peace laced with war? Right now, even the Muslim "freedom fighters" fight for a "jihad" when the cause is so flawed.

I refuse to believe that Islam or Christianity has some omnipotent being who relishes in bodily fluids like a rampaging ravenous omnivore. It is just some asses who wanted power by pretending to be a messenger of that being of worship, then killing those who stand in their way.
there is not such thing as a religion of peace in monothistic religions
the only peace that such religion's can accept is when anyone NOT part of said religion is either dead or inslaved
the moment you say there is only one god, you say that everyone who DOESNT believe in him must die (basiclly)

religion is a man made product ment (originally) to try and give answers to our lack of knowing about the natural world
humans are by nature creatures that seek understanding and patterns in what we see
and we often would prefer even a bullshit answer then a no answer
hence religion
but it has since became (in the words of karl marx) "the opiate of the masses"
and the ones in charge are the dealers and pushers
there would always be conflict, but involving religion in these conflicts is a sure fire way to inflame them farther
there is no better way to prepetuate a specific conflict and make people unwilling to compremise in it then declaring the whole thing a "holy" issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
Here in Malaysia(which I came from), the media praises Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for his "fair and square" victory. They also praises Iranian government handling the riot. I heard a rumor that Malaysian government put their anti-riot police at Iranian embassy because they knew there will be some protest take place. In other words Malaysian government and people wants Mahmoud Ahmadinejad win because they saw him as "hero" who can exterminate the Jews in this world, primarily in Israel. They always dreamed to see Israel's downfall.
i find what you just said to be BEYOND disturbing
partly because i cant for the life of me understand WHY this is the case
what possible tie is there between the jews/israel and Malaysia ?
Old 2009-06-24, 11:00   Link #200
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Scapegoats make the world go round for the powerful who need imaginary foes to divert the people.