AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-14, 19:15   Link #901
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Yeah that's way too pretentious for me.

No wonder I like the new movies better which, as I've mentioned, seem to be much more focused on being crazy awesome and stuff blowing up.
Old 2010-01-14, 19:32   Link #902
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
If for you art only encompasses being crazy awesome and stuff blowing up, I'd have to say that's a really sad look on art forms in general.

PS: again, I'm not saying you have to like it. The title of this thread, "Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?", refers to the fact that it's somehow hard to understand why people like what they like. In order to fully appreciate art in general, you need to step away from your own perspective for a second and try to understand what others see in things that one might find not as pleasurable.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2010-01-14, 19:59   Link #903
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I would have to agree with Synaesthetic that the anvil dropping in NGE was a pretty blatant thing and the plot was kinda weak.

But here's what I think coming from someone who has watched the tv series and movies multiple times and would like to see the new ones Yes, I even like the TV ending

The "depth" isn't where some might think it is. Ignore all those Christian symbols for a second

A lot of people like to bash Shinji for being a wuss, and being a failure. Hell, I do it in jest sometimes too, just because Anno seemed so insistent on it. But let's consider the standard cliche hero for a moment. Shinji acts that way because he's just a kid that was yanked off the streets quite literally. If you had Shinji all hot blooded and GAR, ready for blood, that wouldn't come off as normal. In fact, that would make him a psychopath! So yea, I think Shinji cries and Shinji moans because he has a conscience. This is most evident when he is ordered by his dad to possibly kill his friend.

By the end, Shinji isn't emo; he's actually gone insane. The things that helped him keep sanity-- other people-- were slowly taken away from him. Then he learns his entire mission was a sham. And with that, he simply completely breaks down.

The point was that, no, you can't just put a poor kid in and hope he wins because he is the main character. And for its time, it was something new.

And interestingly enough, Asuka's more like the traditional hot blooded hero. If Shinji and Asuka were switched genders, you'd get a pretty ordinary story of a hot blooded hero and a pitiful partner that needs saving. But Asuka's case gets deconstructed, as we see what happens to the ace who suddenly loses potency and thus confidence, because as we know, hot blooded characters are fueled by this confidence.

While the plot is pretty obtuse when it comes to these things, it is the playing around with the psychology of these characters that made it memorable. And yes, I would think a lot of it is really just Anno getting over depression, but it's still an interesting study of that area.

I hope some of that made sense to those who got confused or just apathetic. Or at least offer another perspective with something less abstract.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-01-14, 23:53   Link #904
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
To Aru Majutsu no Index

the male lead is just a self rightoeus annoying prick who is apparently trying to win a contest on who has the best harem ever with Negima.
Old 2010-01-15, 00:54   Link #905
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
NGE and SHnY I think both are overratted but people think it's a masterpiece
Old 2010-01-15, 13:20   Link #906
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
*words about Evangelion*
The thing about the TV series was it was too heavy-handed. Suspension of disbelief, for me, was utterly shattered because every goddamned character was beyond fucked up to such a point where it stopped feeling real.

I got to the point where I was just laughing hysterically every time something bad happened to Shinji. He's an unbelievably amped-up Cosmic Plaything, to the point where it's just not realistic.

Not to mention every other character had a pile of neuroses and twenty thousand tons of emotional baggage, it was just numbing. There was no "control" character in NGE TV to compare the fucked-up-ness to. Everyone had skeletons in the closet. Everyone had some deep, dark past.

The Rebuild films changed this. Shinji's angst is pared back to a much more believable level. Asuka is five hundred times less annoying and much more badass in general. The new character, Mari Illustrious Makinami, is a Crazy Awesome Blood Knight, as well as trying to unseat Misato as the resident Miss Fanservice.

The movies are just... better so far.

What I ought to do, especially once all 4 movies are out, is watch the TV series, then the movies, and really try to nail this down.
Old 2010-01-15, 14:29   Link #907
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The thing about the TV series was it was too heavy-handed. Suspension of disbelief, for me, was utterly shattered because every goddamned character was beyond fucked up to such a point where it stopped feeling real.

I got to the point where I was just laughing hysterically every time something bad happened to Shinji. He's an unbelievably amped-up Cosmic Plaything, to the point where it's just not realistic.

Not to mention every other character had a pile of neuroses and twenty thousand tons of emotional baggage, it was just numbing. There was no "control" character in NGE TV to compare the fucked-up-ness to.
This was my main problem with NGE.

NGE was a good anime, but I think that it suffered a bit from the lack of an important "control" character or two, as you said. In fact, I would say that the lack of such a "control" character actually undermined Anno's goals with Shinji, Rei, and Asuka (i.e. to use them to critique popular anime archetypes).

Spoiler for 1995 Eva spoiler:

Perhaps part of the reason why Rei didn't come across the way that Anno wanted her to is because there wasn't a female teenage character in the anime that, through comparison, could serve to highlight the neuroses and emotional issues with Rei.

Asuka, of course, had her own issues.
Old 2010-01-15, 17:57   Link #908
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
For me, and for a lot of people, they felt way more real than most anime characters out there.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2010-01-15, 20:07   Link #909
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
To Aru Majutsu no Index

the male lead is just a self rightoeus annoying prick who is apparently trying to win a contest on who has the best harem ever with Negima.
Odd thing about this is Touma in Index did grate after awhile, it became quite annoying but for me I couldn't say I came to hate it in any way.
Saying that, his rare appearances in Railgun are great, I guess he's a character thats best when seen in small doses

I gotta say only recent anime I've somewhat come to dislike is Haurhi S2, nothing can save it from that endless crap stuff>_<
Old 2010-01-15, 20:14   Link #910
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:

Not to mention every other character had a pile of neuroses and twenty thousand tons of emotional baggage, it was just numbing. There was no "control" character in NGE TV to compare the fucked-up-ness to. Everyone had skeletons in the closet. Everyone had some deep, dark past.

The Rebuild films changed this. Shinji's angst is pared back to a much more believable level. Asuka is five hundred times less annoying and much more badass in general. The new character, Mari Illustrious Makinami, is a Crazy Awesome Blood Knight, as well as trying to unseat Misato as the resident Miss Fanservice.

The movies are just... better so far.

What I ought to do, especially once all 4 movies are out, is watch the TV series, then the movies, and really try to nail this down.
The "cosmic plaything" I'd have to agree somewhat; which is why I complained about the plot. I didn't really find anyone unbearingly annoying save for Gendo and Ritsuko until near the end. Though suspension of belief collapsed somewhere along the way, particularly past episode 20.

Actually there were control characters. The classmates, especially Hlkari were pretty normal. Yes, they were relatively minor, but they did have that point. Their disappearance near the end signifies the start of insanity for the main cast.,

But it seems like rebuild seem to offer something diffrent rather than being a simple rehash, so that's something I can look forward too.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-01-15, 22:32   Link #911
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm inclined to believe, based on Kaworu's actions in Evangelion 2.0, that the Rebuild films are not intended to replace the original series, but are a sort of alternate continuity... and Kaworu's in on it.

If this is true, it could lead to some incredible mindfucks in Evangelion 3.0 and Evangelion Final...
Old 2010-01-16, 03:27   Link #912
M!rage
~Queen of evil~

naruto everyone is crazy about it ><
but i think that it is Completely boring
Old 2010-01-17, 01:09   Link #913
mike.

First post, might as well do it here.

Chrono Crusade
I really tried to give this anime a shot, I really tried. It had "Chrono" in the title and vaguely resembled Chrono Trigger, which I love a lot, and it had great reviews, so this had to be somewhat decent, right? No, I forced myself through five episodes and could not go on. I hated the characters and did not care for the story at all. My distaste for this series is only rivaled by my distaste of the next:

Elfen Lied
The first thing that came up in almost every review of this series was the bloody opening to the first episode, that it made people sick to the stomach, and was quite the hill to overcome, but as I watched it, the violence didn't phase me one bit. The violence, obscene as it was, seemed so empty to me, as it had no context to it. I felt more disgusted at less violent shows because of the context it was in, NGE being a prime example. Still though, that was just the intro, I kept watching, but yet came to hate the main characters, especially the main male lead, and on top of it all, I though the animation was not as detailed as it could of/should of been for such a violent show.
Old 2010-01-17, 03:49   Link #914
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Hah, that's almost exactly what I thought about Chrno Crusade! Damn title similarities.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-01-17, 10:32   Link #915
Tealeafy
✿Higurashi+Umineko Fan✿

I loved Chrono Crusade! xD ROFL

Anyway, I know I'm going to get so much hate for this but... but... (*builds barricade*)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya!
I'm not implying that I think people shouldn't like it; I mean... it had great music, good characters, and a very original plot, but I just couldn't bring myself to like the series itself (believe me... I tried).

Last edited by Tealeafy; 2010-01-18 at 16:30.
Old 2010-01-17, 13:25   Link #916
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The hardest part of liking Haruhi Suzumiya is being able to tolerate KyoAni's trolling of the fanbase.

lol @ endless eights.
Old 2010-01-17, 16:54   Link #917
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
The hardest part of liking Haruhi Suzumiya is being able to tolerate KyoAni's trolling of the fanbase.

lol @ endless eights.
I dunno, I'd say hardest part is actually believing some ten thousand people brought the endless eights DVDs...
MAL
Old 2010-01-17, 18:00   Link #918
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Quote:

lol @ endless eights.
I dunno, I'd say hardest part is actually believing some ten thousand people brought the endless eights DVDs...
At least Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody outsold the Endless Eight discs by 8.5K to 12.5K units depending on which volume you're comparing it to. So it's not like the entire fanbase is taking it lying down.

Also, I thought many attributed the trolling to Kadokawa, not KyoAni.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-01-17, 18:09   Link #919
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Also, I thought many attributed the trolling to Kadokawa, not KyoAni.
I thought it was too, but people find it easier to blame the studio I guess.
MAL
Old 2010-01-17, 22:54   Link #920
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'd bet both Kadokawa and Kyoto Animation were laughing their asses off at the NERD RAGE on 2ch, 4chan, here and countless other anime message boards during endless eights...

Shit, I don't even work for either company and I was laughing my ass off. ^^;