AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 78 56.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 31.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 8.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.73%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.73%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-19, 23:26   Link #21
Kytherno
12th Supernova

Was good, till Barry the Chopper Died.
Old 2010-08-20, 19:39   Link #22
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytherno View Post
Was good, till Barry the Chopper Died.
Tragic how Barry had to die...

But the way you say it, it sounds like you did not really like the rest of the anime after "Barry" died..
Old 2010-08-23, 12:59   Link #23
StealthyGhost

This is really in my top 3 of the best animes. I don't know if I would place it 1-2 or 3, but it was awsome. One thing I didn't really liked is that Van Hoenheim (not sure about how it's spelled) just came back in the life of Ed and Al, he never took care of them, and now that he realize it, the only thing he's doing is offering his life to save Al and he dies a bit after that... In the end, the only thing they have ever done together is to fight the "father" of the homunculus.

Also I would have taken a bit of romance with Ed and Winry, at least a little kiss at the end, he was going to be absent for a long time and there wasn't even a little kiss. Anyway, it's my opinion, I like anime with romance^^

It was still one of my favorite anime ever
Old 2010-10-03, 16:22   Link #24
MisaoKusakabe

Thumbs up

I thought that the series FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was alright at time, but there were certain parts that I did not like.

1.) It wasn't very clear about how Envy, Lust, and the others were made to me.

2.) The names were a little on the weird side.

3.) Mustang was a pervert.

4.) There wasn't really any meaning to it.

I would like it if the following were better, but there were some good parts in it.

1.) I liked how they started the series by putting them in the dessert.

2.) I liked how they put dramatic turns in certain places and heart warming stuff in certain places.

3.) I liked how there was much comedy in it (aka winrey and her wrench)

In all, I would have to give this series a 7, not as good as the series, but not too bad.
Old 2010-12-22, 01:15   Link #25
ronin myael
lost ronin

I can only think of one word to describe this series --- Beautiful! This is by far one of the best anime series I’ve ever seen. I hate to compare this to the first adaptation but I think this is so much better and I loved the first one mind you! That’s probably because this one is so much closer to the manga. But faithful or not, I still loved it. It made me fall in love with renkinjutsu and its hagane no and honou no renkinjutsushi all over again. The concept alone is unique and original. I’ve never encountered a series before with alchemy as its central plot. And the way it was written was masterful. Hiromu Arakawa writes with fluidity and careful calculation. You can tell that she doesn’t just write everything that comes to mind, every scene is well-thought-out and every character is treated with respect. In her world of truths and powerful alchemists, she has created a form of realism that could not possibly exist in a realistic world and yet we somehow believe that it does in some alternate universe that coexists with ours. That to me is a mark of a great writer.

I’d like to elaborate more on how good its direction, artistry and musical score are but I think most of you has already covered that. But one of the most memorable things for me in this series is the way Arakawa created her villains. I loved that she didn’t make them so indestructible and god-like despite their monstrous powers. As conceited and stubborn the homunculi are, they also feared the power of Roy Mustang, a mere human. I loved that scene where Envy cowered in fear and hid from Mustang, realizing that in spite of his seeming immortality he can be obliterated by this man’s flames. And when the one they called Father was finally judged and imprisoned in despair for his ambitions and loathing for the very humans who gave him life, he begged for forgiveness out of fear like any normal human would.

I liked it that it ended happily and yet it wasn’t really a happy ending, at least not for me. Edward and Alphonse got what they wanted in the end but they paid heavily for it. The ending wasn’t perfect but I liked it that way. The series left me with a mixture of happy and sad emotions. I was satisfied with it and yet I still wanted more. I wanted Ed to regain his alchemy, I wanted Roy to finally become the Fuhrer, etc. But I guess that’s the beauty of this series, it’s not perfect. You don’t get everything you want, you win some you lose some, that’s the law of equivalent trade in alchemy after all. “A lesson without pain is meaningless, that's because you can't gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But once you've withstood the pain and overcome it, you will gain a heart that is stronger than everything else. A Fullmetal heart.” Hontou ni arigatou Arakawa-san!

Last edited by ronin myael; 2010-12-22 at 01:30.
Old 2010-12-22, 18:35   Link #26
Amutox89
~ the odd one ~

I love Brotherhood. I actually liked the first series better, which is weird since I normally like it when they follow the manga in the anime, and FMAB followed the manga better. But Brotherhood was still, one of the best I've seen, and second favorite after the first series. (I reallllyyyy love FMA xD) haha, 10 out of 10
Old 2010-12-22, 23:28   Link #27
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I sorta enjoyed Brotherhood more then the first season (not saying that the first season was bad or anything) there was just so many mixing plots that sorta made my brain go into a daze.... Brotherhood had a calm pace for me, even if they do talk about things at times that have not been explained yet.
Old 2010-12-23, 10:53   Link #28
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
It wasn't very clear about how Envy, Lust, and the others were made to me.
the homunculi were originally a part of the first homunculus they called "Father". he was basically made up of philosopher's stones that were created using the souls he absorbed, same as hohenheim. but he thought to rid of himself of the sins of humanity thinking it would make him perfect. so he took them out one by one and gave them to vessels like he did with the fuhrer and ling, turning them into his wrath and greed. at least that's how i understood it.

Quote:
The names were a little on the weird side.
which names are you talking about? the names of the homunculus? they had to be named as such since they were basically made from the seven deadly sins.

Quote:
Mustang was a pervert.
i believe the perverted mustang was the one featured in the first series. in the second series he was portrayed as a more idealistic and serious character who merely pretended to be frivolous and laid back so his rivals in the military would underestimate him.

Quote:
There wasn't really any meaning to it.
to you maybe but to some the series had more soul in it than any anime of its caliber and you don't find very many series that's as put-together as fma brotherhood.
Old 2010-12-23, 13:49   Link #29
Amutox89
~ the odd one ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I sorta enjoyed Brotherhood more then the first season (not saying that the first season was bad or anything) there was just so many mixing plots that sorta made my brain go into a daze.... Brotherhood had a calm pace for me, even if they do talk about things at times that have not been explained yet.
I'll agree that there were a lot of mixing plots... They got way off base from the original story at times usually that would make me all but for some reason, I liked it better

Either way, they were both great and I love them almost equally
Old 2011-01-01, 01:28   Link #30
FBZ

Send a message via ICQ to FBZ Send a message via AIM to FBZ
I give Brotherhood a 10. It was amazing. I couldn't wait to watch new episodes every week.
Old 2011-01-04, 14:04   Link #31
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoKusakabe View Post
1.) It wasn't very clear about how Envy, Lust, and the others were made to me.
They couldn't have a backstory because they were created from original homonculus "Father". The only different one was King Bradley who was originally a human and Pride who seemd to have lived for a long time.

That's why first season worked better for me:

Spoiler for 1st season mega spoiler:
Old 2011-01-04, 17:09   Link #32
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
They couldn't have a backstory because they were created from original homonculus "Father". The only different one was King Bradley who was originally a human and Pride who seemd to have lived for a long time.

That's why first season worked better for me:

Spoiler for 1st season mega spoiler:
Spoiler for Envy:

If only they were able to combine both elements, then it will make the story so much more interesting as well for character development for everyone.
Old 2011-01-05, 16:28   Link #33
kitten320

^
Spoiler for 1st season:

And yeh, that's what I wanted to say. If take several good elemnts from both series and mix them together, we would have a real masterpiece.
Old 2011-01-05, 18:07   Link #34
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Since the First FMA series was based on the Homunculus' background for each one of them (except Gluttony) it made it more dynamic when Ed went against them. Since Brotherhood was more focused on the Homunculus in the Flask and Hoenheim, even adding other countries in the mix, it made it interesting outside of all the other Homunculus besides the one in the flask. If you combine both these elements together, you will have something that couldn't be matched for words.
Old 2011-01-06, 01:11   Link #35
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
I'm seriously cannot believe that why this Anime was so great as I checked on Random Curiosity earlier.
Old 2011-01-06, 07:09   Link #36
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
I'm seriously cannot believe that why this Anime was so great as I checked on Random Curiosity earlier.

to each his own i guess. like for example, some people think that naruto is the best series ever, some think it's shitty. it all comes down to personal taste.
Old 2011-01-06, 10:03   Link #37
kitten320

I would say exactly the same thing about several other popular shows... actually out of all famouse ones, I found FMA to be the best so far.
Old 2011-01-07, 07:05   Link #38
ronin myael
lost ronin

^
^
me too. i know some folks who don't think much of this series but then again they're the type who are more into the hack and slash shonen series. fma is not your typical shonen series, i don't even think it belongs in that category. for one, the plot is different, it's the only series that tackles alchemy. second, the themes are heavier and darker. the characters have more depth and the writing is more fluid. no surprise and out-of-this-world twists, the twists actually made sense and seem to be well thought out. there are no unnecessary subplots that usually complicate longer and more epic-type series. that's why i enjoyed this more than i normally do with the longer ones like naruto and bleach.
Old 2011-01-07, 20:06   Link #39
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
^
^
me too. i know some folks who don't think much of this series but then again they're the type who are more into the hack and slash shonen series. fma is not your typical shonen series, i don't even think it belongs in that category. for one, the plot is different, it's the only series that tackles alchemy. second, the themes are heavier and darker. the characters have more depth and the writing is more fluid. no surprise and out-of-this-world twists, the twists actually made sense and seem to be well thought out. there are no unnecessary subplots that usually complicate longer and more epic-type series. that's why i enjoyed this more than i normally do with the longer ones like naruto and bleach.
Oh please, get off your high horse. I like FMA, but not liking FMA does not imply anything you are saying.
Old 2011-01-07, 23:57   Link #40
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Oh please, get off your high horse. I like FMA, but not liking FMA does not imply anything you are saying.
horse? i don't have a horse.

i was talking about the people i know who didn't like fma. they didn't like it because they're more into the typical shonen series. they also didn't like death note and other darker series because they thought they were boring, so that's the conclusion i came up with. i wasn't talking about anime fans in general so don't get offended.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2011-01-08 at 00:09.
Closed Thread