AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-05-03, 20:34   Link #21
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, for the DS game, best bet is to have a dictionary-translator next to you (helps with your other anime interests as well. Make sure that it does kanji.)

I'm waiting for volume 4 as well, the Mandarin version that is.
Old 2009-05-03, 21:06   Link #22
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, for the DS game, best bet is to have a dictionary-translator next to you (helps with your other anime interests as well. Make sure that it does kanji.)
Yeah, in-game I just try to avoid those ones completely. The karaoke minigame is mind-shatteringly adorable.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 19:29   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I picked up the first 4 volumes of this the other day was quite surprised... the manga is quite funny and even snappier with the quick-witted jokes (whereas the anime was more often "sweet" than punchy). Good stuff in here.
Old 2010-07-03, 23:20   Link #24
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I picked up the first 4 volumes of this the other day was quite surprised... the manga is quite funny and even snappier with the quick-witted jokes (whereas the anime was more often "sweet" than punchy). Good stuff in here.
SHAFT is SHAFT - they usually adapt stories, rather than tell them faithfully. Volume 5 got released in Japan early this year, IIRC, so hopefully we'll get more of the rest of them... and there are a few 'raunchy' bits in there too. Well, as raunchy as it'll ever get.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 18:03   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I'm not dinging the anime (loved all the seasons)... but I feel like I got a bonus moment with the manga and glad to hear the manga is still rolling...
Old 2010-07-06, 12:36   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Basically, both studios (Shaft and Staff) have had "win" or "lose" moments with different series. For example, I like Tsukuyomi Moon Phase the anime quite a bit. Then I read the manga.... very different feel, but also very good. End result - I like both the anime and the manga but for different reasons.

Rather than list them... lets just say I don't think either studio being assigned to a project is automatic "win" or "lose" assessment.

Finished all 4 existing volumes.... which the 3 anime seasons seem to have covered timeline-wise in abbreviated form. I assume there will be a 5th volume and perhaps more which will also hopefully be animated.
Old 2010-07-06, 20:04   Link #27
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Fifth volume came out this year, as noted. Whether it'll be animated depends on others. It's ongoing.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 14:21   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Fifth volume came out this year, as noted. Whether it'll be animated depends on others. It's ongoing.
Hmmm, guess I need to check with the english publisher and see if they've got volume 5 on their to-do list.
Old 2012-08-03, 14:24   Link #29
Zeross

does someone know where i could buy the 4th book of the yenpress release of this serie? (ISBN: 978-0-316-08112-2).

it look out of print and out of stock on every amazon, i looked on ebay and didnt find it either. as i buy all my manga from amazon.fr usualy i don't know a lot of other site that could sell them and than can ship items to france.
Old 2012-09-27, 05:21   Link #30
teja208
Critical fanboy

In season 4 anime thread, a lot people were discussing about what would happen after Hiro and Sae graduated, so I was wondering if they've graduated yet in the latest manga chapter. Any sign manga ending soon?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 00:58   Link #31
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
In season 4 anime thread, a lot people were discussing about what would happen after Hiro and Sae graduated, so I was wondering if they've graduated yet in the latest manga chapter. Any sign manga ending soon?
Okey, can't believe I'm answering to myself here but whatever. It's not ending and we got a new girl (not two but better than none). it didn't take her long (compared to Nori and Nazuna) for her to get to know her senpais and she already had a sleepover at Yuno's place.

Still, need some time getting used to the series w/o Sae and Hiro and the fact that Yuno is already a third year.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 04:29   Link #32
AP24

The series is still a long way from ending. It took 4-5 years to cover one year of the story so if it's also going to take that long to cover Yuno's 3rd year then the series won't end until at least 2017.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-10, 21:05   Link #33
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
I just got through binge-reading the released volumes. Amazon's Kindle app on my phone makes it too darned easy to buy books.

There are some really brilliant moments throughout the series. The feel is different because most four-panel sets end with a gag (which makes things interesting when they don't).

Spoiler for In case you're not ready to meet the new girl yet.,:

And I didn't realize until the later volumes just how poor Miyako really is. There really are very few things she can buy for herself. Even her masculine dress is the result of her poverty:

Spoiler for Explaining something that might have been mis-interpreted:

I hope Yen will in fact be releasing Volume 9 sometime in 2016.
Old 2016-05-11, 16:01   Link #34
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
And I didn't realize until the later volumes just how poor Miyako really is. There really are very few things she can buy for herself. Even her masculine dress is the result of her poverty:

Spoiler for Explaining something that might have been mis-interpreted:
These latter volumes (in particular volumes 5 and 6) are the main reason why I found the Honeycomb season of Hidamari Sketch to be disappointing IMO.

There's a lot of great material in these volumes that I would have love to have seen adapted in anime form. Yet, a good chunk of it ends up being skipped over in order to get the graduation of Hiro and Sae out of the way (with a few of these stories only being hinted at in the OP). Some examples of the material that I would have love to have seen adapted in anime form:

Spoiler for Hidamari manga-only content:
Old 2016-05-11, 18:02   Link #35
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

That's all great stuff. There is also a different attitude to the manga a lot of the time. Some of Miyako's jokes really wouldn't fly in anime, the drunken-Yuno scene is completely written out in the anime (along with the suggestion that Hiro might have deliberately bought that "juice" for herself), and so forth.

Spoiler for Festa-san goodness (?):

Last edited by Michael Hopcroft; 2016-05-11 at 19:15.
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 18:03   Link #36
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Shaft is pretty bad at picking what to adapt, just look at Zetsubou Sensei third season.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-11, 19:26   Link #37
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

I would like to see more about Yuno's decision-making process as a senior. As we all know, Yuno is terrible at deciding pretty much anything. You probably don't want to take her out to dinner because she'll spend an hour looking at the menu and cogitating every possible angle before making her order (and usually getting it wrong anyway, as she did with that espresso).

Anyway, she has the whole of her life in front of her. How can she possibly decide what she wants to do? I also wonder if she will ever realize that while she keeps winning competitions at Yamabuki, Miyako is creating works of genius that go above everyone's head. Yuno is great technically, but Miyako has the unteachable trait of a great artist -- imagination. (Does Miyako even realize just how good she actually is?)
Old 2016-05-12, 16:56   Link #38
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Shaft is pretty bad at picking what to adapt, just look at Zetsubou Sensei third season.
Not to mention the second set of Negima OAV's (I would have skipped the "Let's Separate the Crow" portion of the "Magic World Arc", save for Yue's story, and had the OAV's focus on the parts between the Ala Alba vs. Fate's group fight and the fight between Negi and Raken).
Old 2016-05-29, 00:23   Link #39
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Weird -- the more I learn about the girls the more heroic they look. Doing what Miyako did -- getting into the prestigious school despite her poverty, living alone as she does, making art compulsively and commanding you attention as she foes it -- takes a surprising amount of courage. That she is such a strong sujpport for her friends and loved ones makes it even clearer just how heroic a figure Miyako is. Behind that ditzy exterior is a young woman with guts.
Old 2016-06-19, 22:48   Link #40
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

The semi-insanity of fan life -- I have ordered a doll of Yuno from a Northwest maker of such things running a business known as Fandolls. They mostly make dolls from american media, like superheroes -- at the Geek Craft Expo I met her at she got a commission for the Marvel character Squirrel Girl which she finished by the end of the show,

I was afraid the Yamabuki school uniforms would be so complicated it would give her problems, but she said she could do it and I am eagerly awaiting the results.

Since Yuno without Miyako would be incongruous, I'm thinking of ordering her too.

Tags
iyashi, seinen, slice of life