AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-13, 01:15   Link #201
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I believe it's written by the person who wrote the Kanon game, adapted for anime by the person who adapted Rozen Maiden and Kashimashi. And I believe the character design is by the character designer for Da Capo, adapted by the character designer who did that for ARIA. And the director directed Utawarerumono. I think the writer for Kanon and the character designer for Da Capo made the game, and then got the others to adapt it for anime, while still retaining some involvement. Maybe someone else knows more detail.

I found episode 1 highly professional and very promising.
From ANN:

Jukki Hanada
Burn-Up Scramble (TV) : Scenario
CODE-E (TV) : Screenplay
Gakuen Alice (TV) : Script
Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite (TV) : Script
Happy Seven (TV) : Script
He is my Master (TV) : Script
Ichigo Mashimaro (OAV) : Screenplay (ep 1)
Idolmaster Xenoglossia (TV) : Series Composition
Kannazuki no Miko (TV) : Script
Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl (TV) : Series Composition, Script
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (TV) : Script (eps 4,6,8,10,12)
Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful (TV) : Scenario, Series Story Editor
Petite Princess Yucie (TV) : Series Composition, Script (eps 1-3,6,9-11,14,16,20,25-26)
Popotan (TV) : Script, Series Story Editor
Red Garden (TV) : Screenplay
Rozen Maiden (TV) : Series Composition, Script (eps 1,2,3,7,11,12)
Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre (special) : Series Composition
Rozen Maiden: Träumend (TV) : Series Composition, Script (eps 1-2,6,8,10,12)
sola (TV) : Series Composition
Strawberry Marshmallow (TV) : Screenplay

That's certainly a good track record in my book - I emboldened the ones I've seen AND liked. Also, the art director (Yoshinori Hirose) is from Zero no Tsukaima, and so far I think he's done quite a good job.

The director (Tomoki Kobayashi) has a more mixed history. I didn't think Utawarerumono had good directing. It had AWESOME art (practically Ghibli-on-a-budget), good acting, exceptional OP and ED, great chara designs and animation, and... weak directing and screenplay that caused cheesiness quite often. In other words, I thought he was the weak point. He is also a Rozen Maiden alum, though.

Despite being smacked on the head by a lack of originality at several points in ep1, though, I'm quite looking forward to episode 2. And as you say, the production does have a professional/quality feel to it, whatever its faults may be. As opposed to Lucky Star, which I enjoyed more, but is somewhat reminiscent of South Park, quality-wise.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 01:22   Link #202
Skane
Anime Snark

Seeing "Mahoromatic:Something More Beautiful" makes me wonder whether-
Spoiler:

Last edited by Skane; 2007-04-13 at 02:24.
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 01:25   Link #203
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Argh... i really hope that whomever wrote the last ep of Mahoromatic 2 doesn't get a say aout the last ep here... and i hope he won't be distributing the same things he is smoking either. Else this will end up in an epic trainwreck.
Old 2007-04-13, 01:42   Link #204
yura`

Just seen the first episode, and am very intrigued by the plot. At first I thought it was a romance (misled by the labeling!) and am very much drawn in by the twists and unexpected elements. I'm not too sure about the whole vampire thing yet, but it's still a bit early to tell, and I'll just have to keep watching (with the rest of you)! Hehe.

I loved the use of the BGM in the episode, and thought it was done very nicely - it wasn't overtly distracting, but it certainly added to the atmosphere and setting up the mood in several scenes.

The storyline is definitely interesting - looking forward to subsequent episodes!
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 01:48   Link #205
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yura` View Post
Just seen the first episode, and am very intrigued by the plot. At first I thought it was a romance (misled by the labeling!) and am very much drawn in by the twists and unexpected elements.
You can bet your behind that it is going to be romance
Though i sure hope we won't be getting many action scenes in this one... that would be a huge letdown in my books.
Old 2007-04-13, 02:14   Link #206
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
...spoiler...
You might want to spoiler-tag that. And I must admit, I liked Mahoromatic 2 minus the last episode. But if I ignore it, then I liked the whole thing
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 03:10   Link #207
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
You can bet your behind that it is going to be romance
Though i sure hope we won't be getting many action scenes in this one... that would be a huge letdown in my books.
Balance. This might be what sola is going for, going by the direction of the writing.

Just hope it does not get plagued by bad-ends >.> .
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 03:19   Link #208
Susanou
.Enforcer

I've finished watched the sub by LUNAR now, and still I think this is an promising anime. Plot was interesting, and the art seems also good to me You can already speculate alot about some events in this episode. for example,
Spoiler:
Meh, guess we'll have to wait to see how the next episode is gonna be since the preview doesn't really show anything.
Susanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 03:31   Link #209
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
Balance. This might be what sola is going for, going by the direction of the writing.

Just hope it does not get plagued by bad-ends >.> .
As far as my expectations go... i would hate to see much action in this one, and it would greatly lower my enjoyment from the anime.

Now, i am a fan of all genres and watch pretty much everything... but this season has enough action as it is... too much is too much... i wanted one show with a slower pacing, and i had(have) my hopes for that resting with Sola. I certainly won't appreciate a "balance" between action and romance/slice of life aspects...

Though this is just my opinion... oh well - i still have the second season of Aria to watch to calm my nerves >.>
Old 2007-04-13, 04:57   Link #210
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
As far as my expectations go... i would hate to see much action in this one, and it would greatly lower my enjoyment from the anime.

Now, i am a fan of all genres and watch pretty much everything... but this season has enough action as it is... too much is too much... i wanted one show with a slower pacing, and i had(have) my hopes for that resting with Sola. I certainly won't appreciate a "balance" between action and romance/slice of life aspects...

Though this is just my opinion... oh well - i still have the second season of Aria to watch to calm my nerves >.>
Oh come now, maybe this was all just a ploy to test the camera man! Maybe mystery man was working with the umbrella corporation girl to test the camera man's feelings toward said girl. You know, like "see if he'll come to the rescue" kind of thing

And Skyfall, you might want to get some flak jackets. If I take off with this series my zany insaney craziness will find it's way in here
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 04:59   Link #211
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
And Skyfall, you might want to get some flak jackets. If I take off with this series my zany insaney craziness will find it's way in here
Oh, come now - you seem to be under the impression that i mind Posts made by our local lolitron mangatron are always fun to read
Old 2007-04-13, 05:34   Link #212
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
So I've downloaded the first episode, expecting a romance anime with Mamiko Noto and Mai Nakahara, where I can sit back and enjoy the sweet time while drinking a good tea cup. I liked Mamiko's character a lot (yes, a soft spot for 'Tall Dark Bishoujo' again, + the zettai ryouiki = killer combo).
Then came the last bit toward the end, oh boy I was surprised.
Wrong expectations can make good surprises.

I want more.

PS: I wonder if they'll keep on playing the OP in the same fashion as in the first episode, it reminds me of the Aria series, something I liked a lot and ought to see more in more anime.
Old 2007-04-13, 05:41   Link #213
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
~ PS: I wonder if they'll keep on playing the OP in the same fashion as in the first episode, it reminds me of the Aria series, something I liked a lot and ought to see more in more anime.
Unfortunately no, and the insert song is not the OP either. I'm a fan of ARIA's method too, but the real OP débuts in Ep02.

You can check out the OP from my earlier post.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-13, 05:48   Link #214
Susanou
.Enforcer

Seems today episode 2 is aired, can't wait to see screenies of it
Old 2007-04-13, 05:56   Link #215
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Unfortunately no, and the insert song is not the OP either. I'm a fan of ARIA's method too, but the real OP débuts in Ep02.

You can check out the OP from my earlier post.

Cheers.
Thanks, i had missed that

Thoughts after watching the OP: Full of Matsuri goodness
That said... now i am even more worried about a sad ending - the one short scene with Yorito closing a photo album with a picture of Matsuri ... my "tragedy incoming" sensors went trough the roof.
Old 2007-04-13, 06:05   Link #216
Skane
Anime Snark

Well, this was the writer that assisted in the Ayu/Nayuki/Shiori arcs in Kanon. The very three arcs that had happy endings (very happy endings). Now... if it had been the writer who penned the Makoto/Mai arcs, then I would be "terrified" about sola's ending.

"NO! Not the baby ducks!"

Natch.
Old 2007-04-13, 06:29   Link #217
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

*cry* - poor baby ducklings ... oh well - guess what i will be getting for dinner
*ahem*

Well - at least that seems a bit reassuring If the guy prefers a sad story with a happy end then it works for me - exactly the thing i like.

However... thats a pretty ambiguous scene to put in...in the OP non the less. It certainly doesn't make me feel any safer. Besides... the characters i like tend to get the short end of the stick 90% of time (As i once again reaffirmed after watching Fafner few days ago - guess what happened to the two characters i emphasized with the most)... and i like Matsuri a lot... so you better brace yourself just in case
Old 2007-04-13, 06:47   Link #218
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
I am bracing myself just in case >.> .
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 08:20   Link #219
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Same here.... the *setup* has me very interested... but no one knows enough about the impending plot to say whether this is *win* or not.

It *LOOKS* like it might be a winner but it seems we'll all discover the truth or falsity of that as a group
Maybe I'm just easily pleased then, I'm just happy that I saw first ep.Strange eh, sure I'd be displeased if they just put all the effort to the first ep. Luckily I saw first ep and enjoyed it wholly, even action. Looking forward in open mind... maybe too open though... anything can happen if it's just well constructed...

Though I'm hoping there's no latent power thingy within the male lead, that would be too cheesy, but we'll see...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Anacone; 2007-04-13 at 10:08. Reason: should be anything
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 09:19   Link #220
Susanou
.Enforcer

I've seen alot of speculating saying Matsuri is a vampire or something, but I don't think such a cute girl would harm anyone

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural