AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-26, 12:43   Link #1
panianna

MKV to AVI

So I've downloaded this hypothetical MKV container file and want to convert it into regular AVI. I must admit I have no experience with this format whatsoever and that's why I've having a lot of problems.
I'll tell you what I did and you tell me what I did wrong.
I've opened MKV in VirtualDubMod, extracted video. No problem there. So far so good.
Now the tricky part. I have an audio stream that is defined as 'Microsoft Unknown Wave Format' , A_AAC/MPEG4/LC/SBR. I assume that it is AAC. When I tried to demux audio stream, I've got a file without an extension which was not recognized by any Media Player. For example, when I tried to play it in Foobar I got a message 'Maximum number of scalefactor bands exceeded'.
I am certain that I am doing something not quite right. The question is what am I doing wrong? I need to convert this audio stream into mp3 or AC3. Help me, plase. I feel so stupid.
Or, and by the way, I have all the necessary codecs installed and registered, coreaac is one of them. I have no problem with playback. All of my media players recognize MKV files. I also have dbPower converter that is supposed to convert AAC audio to other formats. But still I have luck whatsoever. All I've got is a noise.
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 16:09   Link #2
Tri

You could first try the latest version of foobar which is 0.8.

Alternative way:
There was a bug in either Nero or faad2 which caused the error message you wrote. Since the file appearently plays back correctly in your directshow player, you can do the following to convert the audiostream to wave:

Go to doom9 download area (full software page), download graphedit.
Go here and download the package "Get All needed filters here" (all-filters.zip).
Open this archive and extract the file "wavdest.ax" into your \windows\system32-directoy (WinXP/2k) or into your \windows\system-directory (WinMe98).
Click START -> RUN, type "regsvr32 wavdest.ax" without quotes. There should be a message reading "DllRegisterServer in wavdest.ax" was successful".

Open Graphedit, click Graph -> Insert Filters.
Open the cross were it reads "DirectShow Filters".
Find the entry "File Source (Async.)" and double click it (no need to click the cross). You will be prompted to open a media file, choose "all file types" and open your Matroska file. The filter will then be inserted into the graphedit main area.

Do the same with the "Matroska Splitter". If you do not have it installed, go to here and get the most recent version.
Once it has been inserted, please notice that each of these 2 filters has one or more pins to connect to each other. Click the pin of the file source filter (it has the name of your video file in it) and drag it onto the input pin of the matroska filter. The 2 will be connected by an arrow.

Notice that the other end of the matroska splitter changes, you will probably see 2 or more output pins now; e.g. one that says "English (Video 1)" and another that says "English, (Audio 1)". As you wrote, this audio output is supposed to be an HE-AAC audiostream, so --

insert a 3rd filter, this time the one called "CoreAAC Audio Decoder". I assume you have this one installed, otherwise the file would not have played back correctly.

Connect the audio output of the matroska splitter to the "XForm In" pin of the CoreAAC filter. You can rightclick this filter and view its properties.

Insert the 4th filter, this time the "WAV Dest" one. Connect its input to the output of the CoreAAC filter.

Insert the 5th filter we need, "File writer". It will prompt you for an output file, name it e.g. "extracted_wave.wav" without quotes. It will not add an extension for you, you'll have to add it yourself.

Connect it to the wave dest filter. Now you should have a nice filter graph. To get it to make the conversion, hit the green play button. There will be no proper indication of progress, so watch your harddisk activity or wait until the red stop button grays out (and the now grey play button becomes green again).

The result is a wave file with 1 or more channels that you can encode to mp3 using lame or ac3 using whatever software. My test file with 6 channels has properly been played back by foobar2000.
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 02:54   Link #3
panianna

Thank you very much! I'll try it for sure.
Old 2004-02-29, 20:07   Link #4
Yuruke

Yikes, Tri's way works,but its a bit complicated and long. A simpler way would be to do this:
-Open mkv file in vdubmod
-Go to streams list
-highlight audio stream and push demux
-name the file: *whateever u want to name the file*.mp4
-next, download Nero 6 wave editor
-open that mp4 file, then go to file>save as
-save it as a wav file and then bam! u can convert the wav to mp3

Actually i dont know if this way is easier or not,but it seemed like it to me. The only problem i'm having is with video. It keeps giving me a "cannot decode video frames" error so i can't save the video file
Yuruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 07:50   Link #5
panianna

Thank you both for your great help. Both ways worked good for me. Now I have a cute little AVI file with mp3 audio. Thank you, Tri, for introducing me to Graphedit. This program is so interesting!
Old 2004-03-04, 06:37   Link #6
alexnoe

Why did you not want to keep AAC as it is? AAC works as nice in AVI as MP3
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 08:49   Link #7
panianna

You see, it is the same reason I didn't want to keep MKV (actually I kept it, but only on my hard drive). I've recently bought standalone DVD player with MPEG 4 support and it supports MPEG4 just fine, but not MKV containers and not AAC streams. It supports AC3 and mp3 quite well, that's why I have to convert audio stream. I hope the engineers of Sigma Design would find a way to add this feature to their later firmware upgrades.
Old 2004-03-05, 08:52   Link #8
alexnoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by panianna
You see, it is the same reason I didn't want to keep MKV (actually I kept it, but only on my hard drive). I've recently bought standalone DVD player with MPEG 4 support and it supports MPEG4 just fine, but not MKV containers and not AAC streams. It supports AC3 and mp3 quite well, that's why I have to convert audio stream. I hope the engineers of Sigma Design would find a way to add this feature to their later firmware upgrades.
Ah.... well, AAC would probably require licence fees
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 09:09   Link #9
panianna

Yeah... A pity. AAC is good.
Old 2006-01-14, 21:40   Link #10
sakuya_su

A very easy way to batch mkv->avi with sub

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/

try that

a batch converter that does mkv/ogm to avi with sub and audio track selection
sakuya_su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 20:23   Link #11
Stardash

isn't this pretty old? Any batch conversion don't always have the best quality, even if you're just switching the container (I believe I tried this using mencoder)
Stardash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 21:02   Link #12
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnoe
Ah.... well, AAC would probably require licence fees
MP3 requires license fees as well, in commercially shipping products.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote