AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-02-16, 12:36   Link #1061
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Just let you know, he said the same thing about Firo being protagonist of Baccano despite the fact that half novels aren't about apparently him.
You know, when I was typing this post, I wondered who the main character in Baccano ! could be if there is one... Firo wasn't my first choice

Despite that I still hope we'll see a lot Selty.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 12:37   Link #1062
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If a main character from Baccano had to be said, then i would have gone with Miria and Isaac, though that's just me.

Also that's a topic for another thread.
Old 2010-02-16, 12:55   Link #1063
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
You know, when I was typing this post, I wondered who the main character in Baccano ! could be if there is one... Firo wasn't my first choice

Despite that I still hope we'll see a lot Selty.
That's probably quite likely as she has appeared in every episode so far, but the perspective likely change a lot like has been though out the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If a main character from Baccano had to be said, then i would have gone with Miria and Isaac, though that's just me.

Honestly, I think it's best just to view Durarara as having a large cast of central characters, but with Cetly being the element that ties them and plot.

I think official art with the shadows suggests this anyway.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 13:02   Link #1064
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Honestly, I think it's best just to view Durarara as having a large cast of central characters, but with Cetly being the element that ties them and plot.
Like i've said in the past, and i still stand by it is that every character shown in the OP is the main character. It's the best way to deal with such a cast.
Old 2010-02-16, 13:05   Link #1065
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Speaking of sushi....does anyone know what dialect Simon is using?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 14:34   Link #1066
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Like i've said in the past, and i still stand by it is that every character shown in the OP is the main character. It's the best way to deal with such a cast.
I whole wholeheartedly agree this is how i looked at it after seeing the opening and watching the first 3 episodes. I think the series is easier to follow if you think about all the characters being the prime.

I just marathon-ed all the current episodes and i must say this is a masterpiece this season. I couldnt get enough of it so i will most definitely will be joining the discussion from now on.
Old 2010-02-16, 17:55   Link #1067
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Life doesn't have a plot, so you can't pick a protagonist It's like trying to find a leader for the lemmings.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 18:23   Link #1068
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Something I found on the lj, apparently the creator of Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) found out the role that the manga played in the "that scene called legendary by the fans" and drew up a picture on their blog about it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 18:27   Link #1069
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Something I found on the lj, apparently the creator of Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) found out the role that the manga played in the "that scene called legendary by the fans" and drew up a picture on their blog about it.
That doesnt surprise me since she's been drawing a few Drrr pics lately.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 19:18   Link #1070
guiltyxx

Send a message via MSN to guiltyxx
Quote:
According to that entry, they gave her call to ask "Is it okay to use 'Sebastian' for torture?" before that Durarara!!'s chapter was released.. ^^''
And Yana-sensei hear them saying "And then we have to get permission from DTB...How should we say to them...?"

* back when Kuroshitsuji anime aired she got a phone from anime staff asking "Is it okay to torture Sebastian?" ...lol
guiltyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 21:00   Link #1071
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

ITA - just as Mikado is the main character here. But it's largely a function of their being the audience identification characters - basically first among equals.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 23:47   Link #1072
tieria.erde
T-chan fan

I think the main character is IZAYA!
tieria.erde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 05:16   Link #1073
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieria.erde View Post
I think the main character is IZAYA!
all of it are the main characters for me, because they are related, and Ryohgo Narita nicely tells their bio every episode.
Bea Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 07:01   Link #1074
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Has the scene been animated yet? If so where is it? If not, what chapter is it in?
Old 2010-02-17, 07:29   Link #1075
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It didn't make it in the anime, it's from chapter 7 of the manga.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 07:31   Link #1076
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Has the scene been animated yet? If so where is it? If not, what chapter is it in?
it sort of made it into the anime (look at the instruments they're holding in the torture/milk drinking scene in episode 6), but otherwise...*snip* (mah, was beaten to it...)

On an unrelated note...I caved in and checked who the characters in the chatroom are too (was half uncertain about one, but had it right), and it's definitely much more fun knowing for certain who they are
Spoiler for possible minor spoiler:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 21:32   Link #1077
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My general approach to this series so far has been to enjoy every episode on its own terms. I'm impressed with those of you trying to create timelines and organize this chaos, but for me the chaos is a central part of the experience. That's largely why I haven't been a big contributor to this discussion despite my avatar.

I'm so happy to see that this is the show that might bring Brains-Base into the mainstream and earn them some serious money. Akikan was a blatant attempt at generating revenue which apparently didn't pay off as they might have hoped. Here B-B is back at doing what they do best, creating a witty, off-beat show from some outlandish material that's not primarily targeted at the Akikan viewer.

Does anyone else think the DVD ad was purposely placed in the "Celty watches the X-Files" scene? That was, by far, one of the funniest single scenes I've watched of late, and B-B made it impossible to grab without also grabbing the DVD announcement. Smart, very smart. What makes that scene for me is the nonchalance of an at-home TV watching session underpinned by an hilarious premise. That's just the kind of thing I expect to see from Brains-Base, and why I enjoy their work so much. (By the way, I haven't seen much discussion of the score for this show, but I think it's one of the better ones I've heard recently. In many places it's quite subtle, yet very effective. The operatic portion in episode six (Puccini?) was especially funny.)

I wasn't drawn to this show off the bat the same way I was to Kure-nai or Natsume Yuujinchou. (As for Baccano!, I had to start over a couple of times because of how boring and confusing the first episode is.) Episode 6 of Durarara!! has hooked me for the duration.

Oh, and I also think Issac and Miria are the mains in Baccano!, though I'd entertain the argument that neither that show nor this one really has "main" characters. They both have a fairly large group of protagonists and another large group of supporting cast members. I like the "main-character-of-the-week" approach we've seen up to now in Durarara!!, though I expect the focus to narrow onto a smaller set of characters as the weeks progress.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 21:37   Link #1078
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Spoiler for possible minor spoiler:
this is also one of my favourite aspects of the show. just loved how different it is to what usually happens for narrations.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:29   Link #1079
herbert

I don't think this is a spoiler so I say it aloud:

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-18, 07:12   Link #1080
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You can see this in ep5 with his conversation Anri.
yeah, at least he's not a pure innocent. and I bet he will gain fans. :P
Bea Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen