AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 71 42.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 20.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 12.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 11.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 3.61%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.60%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-18, 21:51   Link #41
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Still pulled it off really well...

Dammit Yuri...;_;

AND THERE'S NO OTONASHI PAIRING YET WTF

There needs to be a definite one soon or all the fanboys will rage...
Old 2010-06-18, 21:52   Link #42
HeadlessPony
~Princess~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Maybe I missed this, but how are they suddenly just choosing whether they disappear or not?
I guess since all of the non-NPCs now know that they disappear when they come to terms with how the world sort of works and to accept themselves and appreciate their lives, they could pretty much tell when they themselves would disappear.

This series keeps surprising me with every episode. I rather enjoyed this one. I can't wait to see Yuri's past. But I DO also want to see her confront the "God" of this world.
Old 2010-06-18, 21:55   Link #43
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckys View Post
Someone had a Haruhi moment for a second there...
I've never really liked the comparisons of Angel Beats to SHnY, but even I gotta admit what Yuri pulled there reminded me of Haruhi to a certain extent. That, and Higurashi.

So anyways, a very confusing episode this week, mainly due to yet more breakneck pacing. To be honest I felt disappointed at the beginning watching all the characters disappear one after another as if it was no big deal. It almost seems as if the anime thought they were in the way and decided to make them conveniently go away to forcibly shift the focus entirely back to the plot. Granted, we're already at the climax, so side characters (90% of which were comic relief indeed) are probably useless during this time. Still, I would've prefered seeing a more... prettier way of putting them at the sidelines rather than merely flushing them down the toilet.

EDIT: Other than that, it's still a pretty emotional ride; not entirely bad, I suppose.
Old 2010-06-18, 21:56   Link #44
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessPony View Post
But I DO also want to see her confront the "God" of this world.
I really don't think we're going to get any answers as to how the world works at this point.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:02   Link #45
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
So tell me again, why did Meda chose to work with PA Works over KyoAni or some other bigger studio? ugh...

It doesn't stop me from still enjoying this series somewhat though. I have to admit, they did Yuri good at the end of the episode.
From what I've seen, KyoAni has some pretty high requirements for their adaption works; I haven't seen a single work they adapted which, in its original form, wasn't popular already. Since Angel Beats had no source, I wouldn't be surprised if KyoAni wouldn't do the show, unless they did some Munto thing with it. [joke] But then no one would watch it. [/joke]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I really don't think we're going to get any answers as to how the world works at this point.
I think the world's just full of mindless spirits who all think they know what's going on, but don't know a thing. They're all just existing and think they're in the know. Like humans, with our conflicting religions, science, etc.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:06   Link #46
skyy54264

This episode truly exemplifies Key's works and trademark. From an entertaining and well balanced show of comedy and drama reduced to mediocrity with a rushed and deux ex machina ending.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:10   Link #47
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Well it looks like everyone's theories on who was behind it wrong. Lol

Still, that one guy who got NPComfied. (Sad face)
Well at least he's happy in that world, which we got to see through Yurippe's eyes.

Unfortunately. Whilst the series had alot of emotional impact on me previously. This had none at all. Probably because the strong Yuri leader we got to know all this time broke down, to an emotional state in one episode. Just didn't feel right at all. Anyone else feel this way?

Also. WTH with the massive "moving on" sequences. Now that's what you call "super" side characters with no development. Damn this 13 episode show.
Also. It looks like the gun Chav left behind had like 400+ bullets in it with how much she sprayed it. On an assault rifle model? The greatest creation no?

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2010-06-18, 22:13   Link #48
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

With only one episode left, Yuri decides to move on, but she still can't thus the graduation ceremony. I can't understand why Girl DeMo just disappeared when they decided to, but when Yuri decides to move on after saving her friends the scene gets cut to the next episode.That's how it goes I guess.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:18   Link #49
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think it's because she had that round magazine (dunno what the name of that is, but it's popular as Tommy Gun magazines).

I agree with Jin on this one. All of a sudden, SSS lost a lot of members, and not because of the shadows. I could hear my neck break at the speed of the disappearances. Also, it seemed that Yuri's emotional moment at the end did not make me shed a tear, but I can blame the pacing for the sudden drop of momentum.

Shoulda been 9, I rated this as 8.

NOTE: Could it be that the boy Yuri talked to is Tachibana Kazunobu?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:29   Link #50
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Her conversation with Kaworu Nagisa in a gist

Q: Are you God?
A: I'm not sure whether a God exist or not.

Q: How does Angel Player work?
A: I don't know. I'm not that well versed in programming.

Q: What is Angel Player?
A: Angel Player is a software that can manipulate this world in a way a computer program would

Q: Did you create the Angel Player software?
A: No, but an acquaintance of mine did

Q: Where is that person now
A: That person used Angel Player to turn himself into an NPC. This is the phenomenon that is also happening right now everywhere else.

Q: Why did he do that?
A: That person waited and waited for the love of his life to appear in this world. Eventually he got tired of waiting and was driven mad. Even know he walks among the NPC

Q: Why are you unleashing this program on this world?
A: As you know, this is a world in which people graduate from it after attaining inner peace. But occasionally there are people who hang around for too long. With this program the world will "reset"

Q: With so much power, why not just become God of this world?
A: I suppose that may be possible, but I neither have the motive or the will to do that. But how about you?

It is at this point that Yuri goes crazy and decides to become God of the world...

not

Instead she chooses to destroy all the computers. When she is done, she notices that Kaworu Nagisa has vanished. He probably passed on after realizing there is nothing left to do in this world.
Wait... so what?

After the events of End of Evangelion Asuka never came back out of the pool of LCL, so Shinji (Kami-sama) created a new world where people who's lives were as crappy as his would be drawn into it, all in the hope that Asuka would somehow find her way there? (It actually makes a strange sort of sense).

Only he waited so long that he finally went insane and mindwiped himself. So now he's out there wandering around as if he was one of the NPCs. But he left Kaworu Nagisa (or a clone/NPC made in memory of him?) around to run things and make sure that nobody else found love in this place without moving on (after all that would ruin it as a crapsack world, and make it impossible for Asuka to find her way there). In the worst case Kaworu is suppose to give the person that is causing problems a mind screwy speech that drives her into doing exactly what Shinji wants her to do (he truly is Gendo's son).

IT ALL MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW!

Anno is behind it all! This is the sequel to Neon Genesis Evangelion- and it's screwing my mind just as hard as the first series!

Curse you Anno!!!!!!!

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-06-18, 22:32   Link #51
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ O.o You watched too much Evangelion.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2010-06-18, 22:34   Link #52
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy54264 View Post
This episode truly exemplifies Key's works and trademark. From an entertaining and well balanced show of comedy and drama reduced to mediocrity with a rushed and deux ex machina ending.
You've never played a Key game, have you? Besides, Key isn't even involved in this, just their (arguably) best writer.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:36   Link #53
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think it's because she had that round magazine (dunno what the name of that is, but it's popular as Tommy Gun magazines).
They're called Drum Magazines, and yes they're designed with the ability to store more ammunition than normally possible in an assault weapon. In Yuri's case she used a double-drum magazine, possible the Beta C-Mag, considering her weapon.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:38   Link #54
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^Thanks for that. (Darn it, forgot about drum magazines from those docus in Discovery. )

Old 2010-06-18, 22:40   Link #55
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ O.o You watched too much Evangelion.
I'm in the middle of rewatching it right now... on episode 22... so the Mind Screw is just starting again. Of course, now I'm forewarned, but so far I've found that just adds to the disorientation.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-06-18, 22:43   Link #56
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Still pulled it off really well...

Dammit Yuri...;_;

AND THERE'S NO OTONASHI PAIRING YET WTF

There needs to be a definite one soon or all the fanboys will rage...
I'm pretty sure that if you have to pick one, Otonashi's love interest is Kanade

If you have to pick one for Yuri that would be Hinata. He's suffering from the harem protagonist curse, though
Old 2010-06-18, 22:48   Link #57
Kudryavka

Question: does Yuri love Kanade? I know that when Yuri said she had to destroy that dude for Kanade, the dude said Yuri's love readings were off the charts.
Old 2010-06-18, 22:49   Link #58
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Could it be that the boy Yuri talked to is Tachibana Kazunobu?
highly possible.On A side note, there is Yuri in Angel Beats!
Old 2010-06-18, 22:49   Link #59
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
They're called Drum Magazines, and yes they're designed with the ability to store more ammunition than normally possible in an assault weapon. In Yuri's case she used a double-drum magazine, possible the Beta C-Mag, considering her weapon.
M4A1 w/ Holographic...and how is a Vector a handgun!? It's a goddamn SMG... which I guess you can use akimbo. lol. And then dual shiny M9's... [/weapon squee]

I still feel the Otonashi x Yuri. Hinata's already kinda gone along with Yui...:/
Old 2010-06-18, 22:49   Link #60
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
So tell me again, why did Meda chose to work with PA Works over KyoAni or some other bigger studio? ugh...

It doesn't stop me from still enjoying this series somewhat though. I have to admit, they did Yuri good at the end of the episode.
It wouldn't have made a difference had Maeda worked with KyoAni anyways. If KyoAni can only support 13 eps, you are pretty much getting the same treatment as here. And there's no telling that KyoAni may make things better, who knows, maybe worse?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Closed Thread