AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2013-03-10, 07:26   Link #561
battle22

Quote:
Thanks a lot! I haven't abandoned it, don't worry, I just can't pump out stuff as fast as Renall (I already write for magazines and stuff fghuhgg too much writing!)
Haha yeah, I know it's pain in the ass. I'm also writing and coding Total Seacat Island and it's taking quite a lot of my free time. Anyway I'll send you a PM about what I thought of it in more detail lol. Can't right now, busy a little.
Old 2013-03-10, 11:57   Link #562
Golden Bug-Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Spoiler for GBH Response:
Well, basically....

Spoiler:

Renall...

Spoiler:
Golden Bug-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 15:28   Link #563
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Apropos of nothing Redaction-related, I'm actually sorely tempted to seriously do this:
Spoiler for Battler Solves the Awkward 852x480 Resolution:
George Lucas isn't the only one who can wreck everything through awkward digital remastering.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 20:57   Link #564
Zork

So, I've been reading Redaction for a little while now and I though I should at the very least post to thank and encourage Renall since I'm enjoying his work a fair bit.

That said, it seems like what you're really interested in is hearing what your readers are thinking. To be honest, I've been pretty passive as a reader so far, but there were a few points that seemed to demand my attention:
Spoiler:
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 08:42   Link #565
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
Spoiler:
Thanks, that's really cool. I want to clarify that one part about the reading though.
Spoiler:

Old 2013-03-12, 14:30   Link #566
Golden Bug-Hunter

Hmmm, about the static...

Spoiler:
Golden Bug-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 09:02   Link #567
Drifloon

Quote:
Krauss is significantly more competent
Heh, I don't know about that...He was kind of hilariously bad during that big goat battle. Those conversations with that "goat aide" pretty much seemed specifically designed to play up his incompetence.

If anything I think Krauss is pretty similar to normal; he seems very confident and likes to boast about his big plans, but he's really pretty naive and not as clever as he'd like other people to think he is.

Looking at the parts that caused static is an interesting approach, though. I never thought of that.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 08:19   Link #568
Jaden

The static is actually an interesting gimmick.

Spoiler for attempting to interpret Redaction pt. 4:
Old 2013-03-17, 08:32   Link #569
Drifloon

Spoiler:
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 09:11   Link #570
Jaden

Spoiler:
Old 2013-03-20, 02:16   Link #571
Cheerful Orange

Heya. Would like to say that you've done a fantastic job with Redaction from both a mystery standpoint and a writing point- it's incredibly tightly written, and the story you managed to weave is incredibly compelling, to the point that I felt like slipping out of my lurkitude and noting my thoughts on what's happened thus far.

Spoiler for Analysis of Parts 1-4:

Wow that was definitely not supposed to be that long. Damnit stream-of-consciousness writing style, you have been my downfall yet again! I can think of other things I want to bring up too.

Last edited by Cheerful Orange; 2013-03-20 at 02:31.
Cheerful Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 09:00   Link #572
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Thanks. There's a lot of really good thoughts in what you've considered, and you spotted a couple of things I was certainly hoping people would. You probably will not be surprised by a number of things in Part 5.

...Which is either halfway done now, or completely done (minus editing of course, which is a fairly important step!). I'm discussing with my editors the prospect of cutting Part 5 in half and just doing Parts 5 & 6 instead. Mostly it's a length thing, as it was panning out to be like 10 scenes and the first 5 are already as long as Part 3 was. And that's with what I think is my tightest pacing yet (almost all between 30-40 minutes, which is shorter than I expected for many of them given how long they felt writing them).

I'm not sure I want to do this, as there's some pretty huge "oh is that your game, you scraggly little jerkbag" moments and I hate to leave a gap between those and the "ending," but on the other hand those scenes have got to come out eventually so I don't know if there's some huge benefit to holding out. Except that maybe Part 6 would be a little bit lean... still some good info that would be in it though (such as yes, finally, a 1996 investigation scene).

I hate the idea of it not going 1-2 and 4-5 for 1986 with 3 as 1996 in the middle there, but lengthwise Parts 1 and 2 are like one part if compared to 4 in length, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Plus in an eventual VN format there wouldn't be any "parts." Although God only knows whether I'd need to change up chapter order or anything for that. The way the meta-narrative goes, the 1996 part really has to end before the 5th starts in 1986. So it's more like it switches over to 1996 a quarter or third of the way into the story, then snaps back.

Also I have an Extra TIP in the works, although it still needs extensive tinkering. Did you ever want Andromalius's backstory in his own words? No? Well screw you then, because I'm doing it. If Parts 5/6 split I guess it'll come out between them, otherwise it'd be between the main story and tea parties. I have one other possible TIP planned but that may turn out to be something a little bit overambitious and it has to come after the entire story anyhow, so I'm not worrying about it.

Old 2013-03-20, 15:31   Link #573
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quick question: are you planning on releasing the final product in VN form? Or perhaps making "checkpoint" patches once you reach certain parts?
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 16:15   Link #574
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
Quick question: are you planning on releasing the final product in VN form? Or perhaps making "checkpoint" patches once you reach certain parts?
Here's the issues for that. They're numerous and thorny, but I do want to tentatively say "yes."
  • It's in Ren'py, not ONscripter. This means I can't just plunk down a script in your ep8 folder and roll with it. It basically requires a whole directory and stuff. This is no problem since Ren'py can package itself into an executable, but...
  • ...Because it's not ONscripter, it requires including assets. My interpretation of the 07th Expansion fanwork policy is that they're OK with this to some extent, but they don't want things like music being distributed. Ideally I would just have a .bat or readme that tells you to copy over your music folders from ep4 and ep8 to the BGM directory, but yet again...
  • ...Ren'py has some issues with that. Specifically, while the JEdit script editor is perfectly capable of interpreting IME and Japanese characters (see Hiro's name in Part 3; the font and script can handle it just fine), it for some reason does not read filenames that are in Japanese. So anything in Japanese has to be renamed, meaning the .bat file would have to like... copy and rename certain files. I'm trying to work out a way around this but it's difficult.
  • The script is currently skeletal and set up more for convenience than straight-through readability. For example, all the scenes are compartmentalized with a jump-based menu. It's not hard to make the scenes continuous with a "jump" command, but I don't have that done right now. So you couldn't just click "Start" and read it all the way through yet. Fixing that would not take long, however...
  • ...The UI is shoddy, to say the least. I now know how to fix the alpha masking crap in the standard UI and could, if I wished, make a relatively similar mockup of the original UI if I wanted to. I just haven't done so, and there are numerous reasons why. One of them is that I simply have no reason to right now. I long ago determined that making the actual story was more important than UI design, so it's back-burnered. That said, I've gotten quite a bit more adept at Photoshop in the intervening two years, so my efforts to work on the UI might be better.
  • I have no art for Part 3, meaning no portraits and nothing for TIPs. Not saying Part 3 requires portraits, but they'd be cool to have. If I did get them, though, Part 3 would have to be significantly rescripted. In fact...
  • ...Most of the script will need to be rescripted. I learn new tricks as I go that allow me to do new things with the scripting language and transitions, I tweak portrait positions and orientation, and of course there's lots of stuff I'll probably want to edit. Scene transitions would change, scene order might change, labeling might change, etc. I'd want to have most of that nailed down before a 1.00 release.
My "final plan" is a release version that includes the whole story and at least one Extra TIP as a bonus unlockable. However, my experience with Ren'py on the UI side is fairly poor, and I'm working in an older edition for better verisimilitude with NVL (Ren'py's NVL Mode doesn't look quite like Umineko does anymore, so later version upgrades could screw up everything).

Basically my hope is I'll be better-motivated to do the technical work necessary to produce a VN release once I actually have a VN that is finished and release-worthy. The YouTube presentation has always been a progress check for me, to keep me motivated and allow me to actually release something without being completely finished. If I didn't have this, I'd obsess over everything and never release anything.

Ultimately what it may come down to is a musicless distribution with a .bat file that will grab the music for you when you point it to your ep4 and ep8 folders. Just like an ONscripter fan episode, you will need copies of the original games.

Old 2013-03-20, 16:38   Link #575
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

No pressure! Just wondering if I should watch the videos as they are released or wait for a complete release. I'm leaning towards "now" so I can join the speculation
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 16:54   Link #576
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I can tell you there's unlikely to be a VN release before all videos are done. So yeah.

Old 2013-03-21, 11:55   Link #577
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I've just finished reading part 4, and I'll have a longer think about what it means for the plot another time, but there is one thing that stood out.

Spoiler:

Ah, and one possible theory here, although I must say I haven't checked to see how well it could stand up:
Spoiler:

Last edited by GoldenLand; 2013-03-24 at 10:19.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 13:19   Link #578
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

It's interesting you noticed that particular reference. I'm surprised (but pleasantly so).
Spoiler:
Regarding Andromalius...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renall; 2013-03-21 at 13:29.
Old 2013-03-21, 16:39   Link #579
Cheerful Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for :

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for :

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm sorry, but is there any way you could rephrase this? I'm not quite following.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I actually do have a question I'd like to toss to anybody reading:

Spoiler for Question:
Cheerful Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 17:11   Link #580
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
On the question of what the 1996 narrative is, I'd like to point out that Renall and I have had many talks, both on this forum and in AIM logs I've posted here, regarding the nature of different narratives in Umineko, and how many of them don't seem to have any sort of 'real-world' counterpart, like much of EP7's contents. I wouldn't worry too much about what 1996's narrative is for "Prime", but focus on why you're seeing it, what it means, and what it says.

On the question of the Summoner's identity, I will only remind you all that Walter is confident that he believes this Forgery is a confession to the 1996 crime. At the very least, he is insisting that it's penned by the culprit of that incident, and so the Summoner is probably that author's avatar.