AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-14, 04:43   Link #28201
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
isnt that Conscription is what make Saintess is Saintess that we knew. if there is no conscription in SG. Saintess probably be successful bussinessman
Nah dude, its what stopped Saintess from being a total hiki.

He was never going to be a successful business man.
Old 2013-05-14, 04:47   Link #28202
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Yea... maybe for an undisciplined as fuck army. To say that comfort women in ww2 is OK would be like saying it was also ok for those japanese women to be assaulted by US service members, but somehow I doubt you'll hear him say that.

People like him should be run over by semi trucks, repeatedly.
Not quite, it's more or less justifying prostitution for the said military men.
I've read the original text, he's talking about the system of "prostitution for soldiers", and not how it was achieved (forced unwilling women).

Nevertheless, he made a really stupid comment.
Old 2013-05-14, 04:53   Link #28203
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I can understand the Middle East, Koreas etc but why do so many SE Asian countries practice conscription/service? National character? In case of a fight?
I would have thought the answer is obvious. It's for national security reasons. You can't claim sovereign rights over land you cannot feasibly defend.

Off the top of my head, the countries and territories in East Asia that practice conscription are Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea. These places face the real and present danger of bigger, more powerful neighbours who may or may not turn hostile for whatever reason. Hence, the need for conscription to bolster the professional soldiers who form the core of their armed forces.

There are probably a few more examples of conscription in East Asia that I don't know about. For example, if I recall correctly, Thailand's men are also required to perform national service but, in their case, they serve as monks, not soldiers.

If, on the other hand, you're asking for specific historical reasons, I can answer only for Singapore. It comes from a crucial part of our national narrative: We don't want a repeat of our World War II experience, when we caught defenceless by a determined enemy. We can't and don't expect allies to come to our aid if we are invaded. If help arrives, so much the better. But we had better be able to defend ourselves well before that.

The experience of Kuwait, when it was suddenly invaded and annexed by Iraq some 20 years ago, is instructive.

Hence, the need for a citizen army in Singapore. A small corp of professional soldiers alone will not be sufficient for our national defence needs.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:05   Link #28204
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I would have thought the answer is obvious. It's for national security reasons. You can't claim sovereign rights over land you cannot feasibly defend.

Off the top of my head, the countries and territories in East Asia that practice conscription are Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea. These places face the real and present danger of bigger, more powerful neighbours who may or may not turn hostile for whatever reason. Hence, the need for conscription to bolster the professional soldiers who form the core of their armed forces.

There are probably a few more examples of conscription in East Asia that I don't know about. For example, if I recall correctly, Thailand's men are also required to perform national service but, in their case, they serve as monks, not soldiers.

If, on the other hand, you're asking for specific historical reasons, I can answer only for Singapore. It comes from a crucial part of our national narrative: We don't want a repeat of our World War II experience, when we caught defenceless by a determined enemy. We can't and don't expect allies to come to our aid if we are invaded. If help arrives, so much the better. But we had better be able to defend ourselves well before that.

The experience of Kuwait, when it was suddenly invaded and annexed by Iraq some 20 years ago, is instructive.

Hence, the need for a citizen army in Singapore. A small corp of professional soldiers alone will not be sufficient for our national defence needs.
I concur. As much as our corps of seemingly unmotivated boys who just want to get their two years over with, they do show enough spirit and courage to stand and fight when threatened enough.

We are part of a paper tiger force. And I would like to remind people out there that paper-cuts do hurt, and they make you look stupid in the process of getting them.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:07   Link #28205
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Taiwan's compulsory military service came from the history of Chiang's fantasy dream in "retaking China." Yeah, sure. And I can conquer Germany with a pointed stick.

Of course, in modern times it is just the same reason as Singapore; that realistically there is not enough voluntary troops to realistically repel an attack from, let's not beat around the bush, China.

Yes, China is the reason the conscription exists. Because China is scary and deadly. Or at least, the politicians believe it.

Now let's hear from the Chinese posters trying to claim they would never do such a thing.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:07   Link #28206
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I concur. As much as our corps of seemingly unmotivated boys who just want to get their two years over with, they do show enough spirit and courage to stand and fight when threatened enough.

We are part of a paper tiger force. And I would like to remind people out there that paper-cuts do hurt, and they make you look stupid in the process of getting them.

Absolutely; us rear echelon support bros would be right there behind the Saintesses of the SAF cheering them on.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:09   Link #28207
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Potential aggressors are welcome to think that our armed forces are only for show.

As for whether our boys would be ready if the button is pushed, well, there is only one way to know. The boys that need to be ready will know what they have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Of course, in modern times it is just the same reason as Singapore; that realistically there is not enough voluntary troops to realistically repel an attack from, let's not beat around the bush, China.
Let's just say the possibility of that happening directly to Singapore is very, very low, for very-easy-to-understand geopolitical and, more importantly, logistical reasons. When I said we face potential danger, I'm not talking about danger that far abroad.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:12   Link #28208
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Taiwan's compulsory military service came from the history of Chiang's fantasy dream in "retaking China." Yeah, sure. And I can conquer Germany with a pointed stick.

Yes, China is the reason the conscription exists. Because China is scary and deadly. Or at least, the politicians believe it.

Now let's hear from the Chinese posters trying to claim they would never do such a thing.
Small countries have conscription not to make anything painful or pyrrhic for their gigantic enemies to take over them. Heck in the case of China, with the new ASBMs and Marine Corps training, they can take over Taiwan in a week.

The objective though of such small standing armies, is to make their enemies look stupid in the process of taking over them. The expenditure to take over something which they have to rebuild and control is detrimental for national image, which hurts their economy and business trust globally.

Like how silly the US and USSR looked in the face of Afghanistan.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:21   Link #28209
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Let's just say the possibility of that happening directly to Singapore is very, very low, for very-easy-to-understand geopolitical and, more importantly, logistical reasons. When I said we face potential danger, I'm not talking about danger that far abroad.
I am rather curious then. Who else could be a threat that warrants potentially calling up conscripts? Serious question, would like to know.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:21   Link #28210
Seitsuki
Onee!

We would never do such a thing!

...honest!
Old 2013-05-14, 05:22   Link #28211
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
We would never do such a thing!

...honest!
We? From which faction are you from?

Quote:
Potential aggressors are welcome to think that our armed forces are only for show.

As for whether our boys would be ready if the button is pushed, well, there is only one way to know. The boys that need to be ready will know what they have to do.

Quote:
I am rather curious then. Who else could be a threat that warrants potentially calling up conscripts? Serious question, would like to know.
The real danger lies in asymmetric warfare and separatist action, which will result in short, protracted conflicts which has a potential to deal serious damage, since our economy relies heavily on our global image as a #1-in-everything hub. The worst case scenario is a hostile fundamentalist takeover in Malaysia leading to a standoff at the checkpoints, and/or a national emergency.

@ VCV, I am sorry I can't go into more details without you asking specific questions, even which I have to pick-and-choose to answer. I don't like coffee, neither do I like drinking it with government officials suffering from OCD.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-05-14 at 05:44.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:24   Link #28212
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
We are a red dot surrounded by masses of green =_=
Old 2013-05-14, 05:25   Link #28213
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
If I tell you, I'd have to kill you.

Just joking. It's not a big secret, as plenty of loose-lipped Singaporeans would have let it slip by now. All the same though, I won't say. All I can say is that some, including Singaporeans, laugh away the potential threats as figments of a paranoiac imagination. That's life. Most people don't expect to be hit until shit actually hits the fan.
Old 2013-05-14, 05:31   Link #28214
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
If I tell you, I'd have to kill you.
Stop stealing other people's jobs. Go back to your command vehicle and wave your arms at elsewhere.

Quote:
It's not a big secret, as plenty of loose-lipped Singaporeans would have let it slipped by now. All the same though, I won't say. All I can say is that some, including Singaporeans, laugh away the potential threats as figments of a paranoid imagination. That's life. Most people don't expect to be hit until the shit actually hits the fan.
Grammar fixed.

We do practice a system of "open secrets" like US. Given the rise of the internet, many militaries do offer a slightly relaxed stance of discussions, as long as it doesn't hit a certain level of detail. In fact, most of us here don't even know the deeper details. Even if it is, it is heavily comparmentalised to limit damage. It is just like how Stratfor is whistling away when they got exposed last year. There are many, many things that they are doing that we don't know. At the age of free infomation, any military with foresight would have already set in parameters and spoofs to counter leaks of any size.

As for SHTF situations, there are plans. For everyone. Even those who are not expecting it. What are of those? I will tell you when the Parliament passes a bill to remove the age limit of marriage.

P.S Whatever I have written here are all over JDW and a number of military-related literature/journalism. But that doesn't mean all of you here can start a discussion of the SAF and let it go out of hand.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-05-14 at 05:43.
Old 2013-05-14, 06:41   Link #28215
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
We are a red dot surrounded by masses of green =_=
This.

And if you serve high enough in the command, it's open knowledge.
Old 2013-05-14, 07:02   Link #28216
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Associated Press says U.S. government seized journalists' phone records
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94C0ZW20130514
Quote:
The Associated Press said on Monday the U.S. government secretly seized telephone records of AP offices and reporters for a two-month period in 2012, describing the acts as a "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into news-gathering operations.
Special Report- 'Coal Mafia' stokes India's power crisis
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94D00520130514
Old 2013-05-14, 08:26   Link #28217
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Japanese Mayor believe sex slaves were necessary during the war.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ssary/2157489/

Oh geez, just when Chinese and Koreans are calming down, this guy have to "reset" Japan to Asia relationships to "Glowing rage"
Old 2013-05-14, 08:55   Link #28218
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Koreans are calming down, this guy have to "reset" Japan to Asia relationships to "Glowing rage"
Actually, Abe and Aso completely wrecked relations with ROK ever since Park got elected. I wouldn't say Koreans have had the chance to calm down.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:01   Link #28219
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
'China' + 'keep men in "fighting form" so they don't relapse...'

...you're coming over to ravish our women?? To arms!
You're thinking the wrong country .. more east .. and island like..

/SE Asian tensions are wut? Complicated.
Old 2013-05-14, 09:04   Link #28220
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Japanese Mayor believe sex slaves were necessary during the war.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ssary/2157489/

Oh geez, just when Chinese and Koreans are calming down, this guy have to "reset" Japan to Asia relationships to "Glowing rage"
He was replying to a conversation about prostitution in Okinawa.
He's in favor for it, saying and bringing up "comfort women" as an example of soldiers needing prostitution.

I mean, what he said was no doubt idiotic, but I think it's getting taken out of context.

Also, you do realize this is the same man who said Japan should just give Takeshima/Dokudo to South Korea, since it's not worth fighting over.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international