AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-19, 21:30   Link #17201
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Oh sorry about that, but still where is the love? So Cold Hearted, after she got hit people just ignored her on the floor, no body stopped to help her! Its So Sad! tears are still flowing..

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2011-10-19 at 21:51. Reason: news already posted
Old 2011-10-19, 21:45   Link #17202
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

posted and discuss 2 pages back.
Old 2011-10-19, 23:55   Link #17203
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Has anyone been following the Thailand floods? The satellite imagery is pretty staggering and a lot of cultural sites are under water in addition to towns, cities, etc. I know we have some posters here from Thailand - have they been affected?
Flood arrives in Bangkok
Quote:
(Oct 19, Wed): City Hall has advised residents of over 200 households outside Bangkok's floodwalls along Khlong Hok Wa canal in Sai Mai district to evacuate to two temporary shelters.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra issued his second warning today.

He advised residents of those areas move to two shelters, at Sai Mai and Rittiyawannalai schools in Sai Mai district. The two shelters could accommodate 2,000 people.

The water in Khlong Rapheepat in neighbouring Pathum Thani province reached a critical level after another 200m section of a dyke built along the canal was breached today, allowing the floodwater to pour into the area.

THE BANGKOK POST
My younger brother lives and works in Bangkok. He said the roads outside his apartment block started flooding at around 3am local time today (8pm GMT, Wed; 4pm EST, Wed; 1pm PST, Wed). His office, just opposite his home, is likely to be underwater by the end of the day. He lives on the 19th floor, so he's relatively safe, but has no electricity. Food and water is not yet a problem, but may become one depending on how the situation develops.

According to him, the news is rife with inaccuracy and is practically useless. If Bangkok floods badly, it may take until next year before it'll be dry again. Bangkok's neighbouring towns and cities have been submerged for nearly three months and the waters still haven't receded, he claims.

Still, he seems to be in good spirits, joking wryly that everything is turning into a Siam Underwater World. Like many Thais, he blames what he feels to be an incompetent government, which is unable even to get its facts right, let alone tell its people what to do in this emergency.
Old 2011-10-20, 02:52   Link #17204
Azuma Denton
~AD~

My co-workers just back from Bangkok this morning, and he said the situation there is pretty dire...

The Chau Praya River (CMIIW) is ready to flood anytime soon...
And it has flooded near the area Don Muang airport...
Old 2011-10-20, 07:50   Link #17205
solomon

Greek Protests continue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15377398

Amazing historical time.

As an American though, part of me thinks that "surely deep down the strikers realize that the public docket is farrrrr too costly and they should just bite the bullet for the sake of the country's future"
Old 2011-10-20, 07:57   Link #17206
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...than-weil.html

Bank of America and JP Morgan Chase just told America that if anything happens in Europe, they're holding the entire country hostage for another bailout.
They're the ones that deserve to be held hostage, and tortured for good measure. They wouldn't even be on their feet without the government/taxpayer intervention.
Old 2011-10-20, 09:40   Link #17207
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Muammar Qaddafi Killed, Libya's Prime Minister Confirms

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/10...ommander-says/
Quote:
Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead, Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril has confirmed.
"We have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Muammar Qaddafi has been killed," Jibril told a news conference in the capital Tripoli.
Qaddafi died of wounds suffered during his capture near his hometown of Sirte on Thursday, Reuters and Sky News reported. Libyan leaders have informed the United States that Qaddafi is dead, according to an unidentified U.S. official who said Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC) is expected to officially announce his death soon. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the U.S. could independently confirm Qaddafi's death.
Sic semper tyrannis
Old 2011-10-20, 14:05   Link #17208
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Muammar Qaddafi Killed, Libya's Prime Minister Confirms

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/10...ommander-says/

Sic semper tyrannis
Now if only a certain North Korean jackass would trip, fall down the stairs and fall on the Big Red Button that would detonate the palace and remove all the heirs and wanna-bees as well.
Old 2011-10-20, 14:15   Link #17209
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Now if only a certain North Korean jackass would trip, fall down the stairs and fall on the Big Red Button that would detonate the palace and remove all the heirs and wanna-bees as well.
Too bad than, given the guy, that said button is more likely to detonate the whole countries. That or something worse with chemical weapon...
Old 2011-10-20, 14:22   Link #17210
justsomeguy

Quote:
Some claim that's already happened, and that one in a limitless number of lookalikes is in charge now.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2011-10-20, 15:00   Link #17211
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A couple of Moon claim stories on the same day?

Russian Lunar Bases? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44960440...science-space/

China to claim Moon?
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-over-the-moon
and
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44973123

Suddenly interest again?
Old 2011-10-20, 16:36   Link #17212
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Real life Clannad After Story?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/449732...hers?gt1=43001
Old 2011-10-20, 16:56   Link #17213
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Reporting for the SF Bay Area

Just a nice little Earthquake here. I am guessing a 4.0.

Is this the promo for the End of the World prediction by Camping?
Old 2011-10-20, 17:17   Link #17214
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was doing something and didn't feel it at all, though others around me did. The reports say between 3.9 and 4.2 in Berkeley.

The animals don't seem spooked, so it isn't end of the world just yet. Unless of course they know something and will stand defiant to the end. (or of like the animals in the Yamato: Rebirth movie, standing defiant against a coming black hole even though the humans are running away)
Old 2011-10-20, 20:31   Link #17215
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I was doing something and didn't feel it at all, though others around me did. The reports say between 3.9 and 4.2 in Berkeley.

The animals don't seem spooked, so it isn't end of the world just yet. Unless of course they know something and will stand defiant to the end. (or of like the animals in the Yamato: Rebirth movie, standing defiant against a coming black hole even though the humans are running away)
I think I felt that a bit myself. Which is unusual because I rarely feel Earthquakes.
Old 2011-10-20, 22:18   Link #17216
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

that was a nice aftershock, the neighbor dog was barking.

think i will put that earthquake policy in place tomorrow.
Old 2011-10-20, 22:24   Link #17217
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I felt that one.
Old 2011-10-21, 01:06   Link #17218
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Speaking of North Korea, they just had some major floods of their own...and more famines.

http://www.trust.org/alertnet/multim...9-7731734a88bb

I made the mistake of watching some documentaries on the country recently. God damn. If Scientology were a nation-state, that would be it. Literally gave me nightmares.
Old 2011-10-21, 01:14   Link #17219
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

This isn't exactly significant news, but after reading a lot of the stories on this page, perhaps we all need this one. Even if, like me, you hated "It's a Small World" as a kid (damn creepy puppets) and refuse to ever go on it again. The article and illustration still made me feel good though.
Old 2011-10-21, 04:15   Link #17220
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Nasdaq hackers spied on company boards
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79J84T20111020
Quote:
Hackers who infiltrated the Nasdaq's computer systems last year installed malicious software that allowed them to spy on the directors of publicly held companies, according to two people familiar with an investigation into the matter.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international