AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-27, 17:27   Link #21
Shadow Kira01

I usually don't pay attention to the animation studio after a single anime but after 2-3 from the same studio, then it usually becomes one of my favorite animation studios or not depending on the number of animes I like from it.
Old 2009-01-27, 17:42   Link #22
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

KyoAni hasn't had a real fop yet. Nothing that has seriously challenged their reputation in the anime community.

Lucky Star may have polarized some of that community, but the work was still up to par. Kanon and Clannad have been beautiful for the most part. The biggest rage has been from the Haruhi and FMP camps wanting more. More so from the Haruhi camp due to the continual teasing ads.

Munto (TV) on the other hand could be a risk...no one knows what will happen after they finish adapting the OVAs for television. The reactions so far have been mixed, but that seems to be largely due to the "dated" material and opinions of those that saw the OVAs already not being impressed a second time around. Also those that are waiting out until the OVA based material ends before starting to watch it.
Old 2009-01-27, 19:50   Link #23
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Key easily sells over 10,000 copies per game, not to mention merchandise licensing.
This is exactly makes the Key-Kyoani partnership so important.

Quote:
Not to mention KyoAni is about to run out of Key franchises before reaching Rewrite.
OK lets look at this.
Planetarian - a movie will settle it.
Rewrite - an OVA will settle it.
LB - we'll need another 4 cour, like how CLANNAD is right now. Therefore, with CLANNAD lasting 1 1/2 years, I see it as just about nicely in time for the next MAJOR Key game.
Old 2009-01-27, 20:09   Link #24
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Key easily sells over 10,000 copies per game, not to mention merchandise licensing. Also, eroge work, just like anime, doesn't come with an annual salary.
I didn't meant it referring to Key, but referring to a previous post which referenced Key as Kyoani's main source of inspiration, and me indicating that the source was about to run out and they should try to diverge their ideas and partnerships.

BTW little busters is considerably shorter than CLANNAD, so it could perfectly fit into a 2 cour schema without pushing it too much. That only leaves an eventual Tomoya After OVA series, possibly a Rewrite series when the time comes and that'd be it.
Old 2009-01-27, 20:21   Link #25
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
BTW little busters is considerably shorter than CLANNAD, so it could perfectly fit into a 2 cour schema without pushing it too much.
Hm... maybe, maybe not. 2 cour might be possible, but ONLY if they can condense it a little.

Quote:
That only leaves an eventual Tomoya After OVA series, possibly a Rewrite series when the time comes and that'd be it.
First one: Unlikely, although the Chinese-speaking market wants it badly. Go see China, HK and Taiwan.

Second: It's going o be no longer than Munto, really, I guess.
Old 2009-01-27, 20:51   Link #26
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Thanks for the information, ShimatheKat. It turns out we were agreeing more than arguing, so no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
You realise that Haruhi is more geared towards moderate to extreme otakus, almost like Lucky Star, whereas AIR and Kanon were for shoujo market, and CLANNAD a family-friendly series? [At least, outside the main cities of Tokyo to Fukuoka, much like BosWash, but we call it Taiheiyo Belt] So, Key still has slight advantage for now. But LB seems to be geared differently, might even clash with Haruhi.
I thought Haruhi had a much wider audience than otakus, which could explain the popularity. I had a female teenage friend who only watched a few anime like Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura and Evangelion. She loves shoujo anime the most. I introduced some anime to her and widened her anime frontiers. She almost fell asleep watching Kanon but loved Haruhi Suzumiya.

I'm not trying to argue, don't take it like that, just raising a point. Haruhi simply grabs one's attention more than Key, often regardless of one's favorite genres.

Quote:
This is exactly makes the Key-Kyoani partnership so important.

OK lets look at this.
Planetarian - a movie will settle it.
Rewrite - an OVA will settle it.
LB - we'll need another 4 cour, like how CLANNAD is right now. Therefore, with CLANNAD lasting 1 1/2 years, I see it as just about nicely in time for the next MAJOR Key game.
Not to nit-pick too much, I do hope you mean Tomoyo After instead of Rewrite. We don't know how large Rewrite will be but it'll probably be between the length of Air and Little Busters. With (at least) three heroines, I can't see it being so short it can be covered by an OVA.

Cheers. ^________^
Old 2009-01-27, 21:06   Link #27
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Thanks for the information, ShimatheKat. It turns out we were agreeing more than arguing, so no problem.
As I said, I'm only picking up ground sentiments. I'm more familiar with the corporate side of things, having counseled people previously from the market. Not too sure on ground sentiment, however, especially outside Japan.

Quote:
I thought Haruhi had a much wider audience than otakus, which could explain the popularity.
It's only recently that I realized, but Singapore and otakus have something in common: LARGE RESERVES of money [that might have otherwise been used on dates and girls.] Which MIGHT explain why it looks so popular. Who said otakus didn't have money, they are the ones that make popular series popular.

Quote:
I had a female teenage friend who only watched a few anime like Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura and Evangelion. She loves shoujo anime the most. I introduced some anime to her and widened her anime frontiers. She almost fell asleep watching Kanon but loved Haruhi Suzumiya.
I fell asleep watching Kanon too. Try giving her Tsubasa:: Resevoir Chronicles. Just keep Tokyo Revelations from her..

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue, don't take it like that, just raising a point. Haruhi simply grabs one's attention more than Key, often regardless of one's favorite genres.
True, but it's always the otakus that spend copious amounts on a series, no?

Quote:
Not to nit-pick too much, I do hope you mean Tomoyo After instead of Rewrite. We don't know how large Rewrite will be but it'll probably be between the length of Air and Little Busters. With (at least) three heroines, I can't see it being so short it can be covered by an OVA.
I heard it was very short... but if what you say is true, then maybe. I personally don't know whether Kyoani will even do Tomoyo, since they've been in CLANNAD territory for 1 year + now.

Quote:
Cheers. ^________^
I'll bring the sake.
Old 2009-01-27, 21:17   Link #28
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I thought Haruhi had a much wider audience than otakus, which could explain the popularity.
"A much wider audience than otaku" isn't Haruhi, I'm afraid. It's not Nodame Cantabile by any means. I don't believe a Haruhi clone would do well in this day and age; people call it a phenomenon for a reason. On a side note, I almost fell asleep on my girlfriend's shoulder during a semi-public screening of it two weeks ago. I have the R1 DVDs sitting on my shelf, yet I don't feel anything towards the series. It was a good investment for the future, though.

Personally, I hope that KyoAni firmly steps away from Haruhi and Full Metal Panic, simply because constantly doing more of the same doesn't make a great portfolio. I would put a lid on all fanboy expectations regarding Key as well. Just because a Key story exists doesn't mean it has to be retold in animation. Little Busters! will definitely get an anime adaptation, as it was one of the best selling eroge properties of 2007/2008, Rewrite as well (Ryuukishi-07 + Maeda + Romeo :hype:), I'm just not confident KyoAni will take the job. For the immediate future, I hope that they take charge of K-ON! and eventually restart the Tonari no 801-chan project.
Old 2009-01-27, 21:28   Link #29
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
"A much wider audience than otaku" isn't Haruhi, I'm afraid.
It's not for sure. Like Lucky Star.

Quote:
It's not Nodame Cantabile by any means.
How's this related to anything?

Quote:
I don't believe a Haruhi clone would do well in this day and age; people call it a phenomenon for a reason.
We're not talking about a clone, we're talking about a second season.

Quote:
On a side note, I almost fell asleep on my girlfriend's shoulder during a semi-public screening of it two weeks ago.
Of? Which series? Haruhi?

Quote:
Personally, I hope that KyoAni firmly steps away from Haruhi and Full Metal Panic, simply because constantly doing more of the same doesn't make a great portfolio.
Good point, good idea. I agree.

Quote:
I would put a lid on all fanboy expectations regarding Key as well. Just because a Key story exists doesn't mean it has to be retold in animation.
The major ones like LB, yes. It's not a partnership for no reason. The others, there's big bucks-Toei.

Rewrite as well (Ryuukishi-07 + Maeda + Romeo :hype:), I'm just not confident KyoAni will take the job. [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure of that even being animated.
Old 2009-01-27, 21:45   Link #30
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
I fell asleep watching Kanon too. Try giving her Tsubasa:: Resevoir Chronicles. Just keep Tokyo Revelations from her..
Thanks, I'll do that.

Quote:
I personally don't know whether Kyoani will even do Tomoyo, since they've been in CLANNAD territory for 1 year + now.
I don't really expect or desire a Tomoyo After series/OVA soon from now. Two seasons of Clannad are enough for this decade. I'd like to see Tomoyo After animated, but I can wait a loooong time.

Quote:
Personally, I hope that KyoAni firmly steps away from Haruhi and Full Metal Panic, simply because constantly doing more of the same doesn't make a great portfolio. I would put a lid on all fanboy expectations regarding Key as well. Just because a Key story exists doesn't mean it has to be retold in animation. Little Busters! will definitely get an anime adaptation, as it was one of the best selling eroge properties of 2007/2008, Rewrite as well (Ryuukishi-07 + Maeda + Romeo :hype, I'm just not confident KyoAni will take the job. For the immediate future, I hope that they take charge of K-ON! and eventually restart the Tonari no 801-chan project.
While I eagerly await a Little Busters anime (more so than Haruhi), I want to see KyoAni take on different things and expand their audiences, as with K-ON! and My Neighbor 801-chan.

I wouldn't mind a shoujo series from them either, such as a Fruits Basket season 2 or such (the big character eyes even suit them), but I'm probably dreaming. Unless Munto TV counts as shoujo action?
Old 2009-01-27, 21:56   Link #31
cyth
Banned

Quote:
How's this related to anything?
It's an example of a late-night anime receiving mainstream attention (6.6% viewership rating).
Quote:
We're not talking about a clone, we're talking about a second season.
It's an "if Haruhi were released today" scenario, unrelated to the discussion at hand.
Quote:
Of? Which series? Haruhi?
... yes. >_>
Quote:
It's not a partnership for no reason.
Is it a partnership? I'm interested, have they specifically mentioned it anywhere as such or is this another one of those fanboy urban legends?
Old 2009-01-27, 21:57   Link #32
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Is it a partnership? I'm interested, have they specifically mentioned it anywhere as such or is this another one of those fanboy urban legends?
Unofficially, from industry insiders, it seems to be the case.
Old 2009-01-28, 00:36   Link #33
rg4619

I haven't heard of any official partnership myself.

Naturally, the companies have a good relationship since the shows sell so well. VisualArt's even mentioned that their desire would be for Kyoto Animation to handle Little Busters! when the time comes. However, where long-term plans are concerned, I doubt anything's set in stone.
Old 2009-01-28, 11:27   Link #34
LiuXuande

Quote:
It's not Nodame Cantabile by any means.
Sorry, but Nodame Cantabile was unbelievably boring (and wasn't animated lol, seeing as half the show was stills [/gripe]). It may have had wider viewership during airing, but comparatively in terms of merchandise and DVD sales...? Haruhi got attention only about halfway through anyway, most people (granted, from viewers like us, not mainstream) "picked it up" after it started receiving major otaku attention and it snowballed from there. And in the end, it's the sales of "everything else" that qualify a series, not just what goes on during airing.

To answer your speculation though, "if Haruhi were released today"... based on the past 3 or so seasons, a "Haruhi" is exactly what the anime medium needs right now. We really haven't had any phenomenon of the sort since Lucky Star, and most shows in current or recent seasons go unnoticed or are virtual clones of their genre.

If anything, KyoAni's might be hoping to capitalize on these "low" seasons by putting off Haruhi and slowly building up to it, but I hope for their sakes it doesn't destroy their loyal fans if it hasn't already. The Key adaptations please their fans (even though I was pretty discouraged at the start of After Story, it's gotten better). But all I'm really waiting for is the next "big" series, be it the Haruhi sequel, or the HagaRen (FMA) remake, etc. Honestly though, I'm surprised that we'll prolly see HagaRen come out before the Haruhi sequel, lol.
Old 2009-01-28, 11:38   Link #35
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Other than your personal opinion, if we compare the franchises....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia, on Nodame cantabile's reception
The manga of Nodame Cantabile received the 2004 Kodansha Manga Award for shōjo manga,[63] and was a jury recommendation at both the 2005 and 2008 Japan Media Arts Festivals.[64][65] It was a finalist for the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize in 2005 and 2006,[66][67] but did not win. In 2006, the English translation was named by the New York Public Library as one of the Books for the Teen Age.[68] The series is a perennial best-seller in Japan: the first 16 volumes sold over 19 million copies as of January 2007;[69][70] volume 17 was the third best-selling manga on the Oricon charts for 2007,[71] and when volume 19 was released, it reached number one in the Tohan comics ranking the week of its debut in November 2007.[72] The series and its associated music albums are credited with increasing sales of classical music in Japan.[73]
(...)
The live-action drama received the 2007 Japanese Drama Academy Awards for Best Drama, Best Lead Actress (Juri Ueno), Best Direction (Hideki Takeuchi), Best Music (Takayuki Hattori), and Best Title Song;[70] the show was also recognized overseas as Best Miniseries at the 2nd Seoul Drama Festival.[citation needed] Juri Ueno also was named Best Newcomer at the Élan d'or Awards for her performance,[citation needed] and the next year was named Best Actress at the International Drama Festival in Tokyo Awards for reprising her role as Nodame in the television special.[87] The first soundtrack album for the drama, Nodame Orchestra LIVE!, reached number seven on the Oricon album chart, breaking the record for highest ranked classical music album.[58]
(...)
The opening episode of the anime series broke the record for audience share for its time-slot.[89][90] The first DVD volume debuted at number 3 on the Oricon chart for anime the week it went on sale.[91]
Let's compare it with Haruhi's

Quote:
Media sales

DVD sales in Japan have been strong with 70,000 and 90,000 units sold of the first two DVDs respectively as of August 2006.[26] A 2006 online poll of Japan's top 100 favourite animated television series of all time, conducted by TV Asahi, placed the series in fourth place.[27] By the end of 2007, the seventh installment of the series sold 45,000 units.[28] The series has also become somewhat of an internet phenomenon in both Japan, Asia and English-speaking countries. Over 2000 clips of the series and user-created parodies and homages were posted to video sharing websites such as YouTube.[29] The popularity of these clips (and those of other popular Japanese series) lead the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC) to request that YouTube remove clips protected under copyright.[30]

[edit] Awards

The anime won the Animation Kobe Award for TV Feature in 2006.[31] At the Sixth Annual Tokyo Anime Awards, the series won the category "Best TV Anime Series," along with Code Geass and Death Note. Furthermore, Aya Hirano won the "Voice Acting Award."[32][33] She also was among the "Best Actress in a leading role" category from the first Seiyū Awards.
I rest my case.

I mean, I'm a Haruhi fan as well, but you have to keep things in perspective
Old 2009-01-28, 12:03   Link #36
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiuXuande View Post
And in the end, it's the sales of "everything else" that qualify a series, not just what goes on during airing.
High DVD sales numbers don't equate to mainstream attention, profitability comparison isn't the topic of this discussion (although I'm sure Nodame Cantabile has other sources of revenue to be proud of, such as third party commercials, something Haruhi didn't have).
Quote:
We really haven't had any phenomenon of the sort since Lucky Star, and most shows in current or recent seasons go unnoticed or are virtual clones of their genre.
Lucky Star was a continuation of the Haruhi craze, an instance of a fandom automatically crossing over to another.
Old 2009-01-28, 16:15   Link #37
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
BTW little busters is considerably shorter than CLANNAD, so it could perfectly fit into a 2 cour schema without pushing it too much. That only leaves an eventual Tomoya After OVA series, possibly a Rewrite series when the time comes and that'd be it.
Eh, from what I heard, the original Little Busters is shorter than Clannad, but Little Busters EX was actually a bit longer, as well as the storyline apparently being somewhat tricky to faithfully adapt into a TV-series without it being 3-cour at the very least.

Of course, I can't say anything for sure, being that the entire visual novel-genre is so extremely niche outside of Japan that hardly anything ever gets released anywhere else, so the only one of Key's visual novels I've actually... eh... experienced myself is Planetarian, which I really hope they'll make a movie or OVA of, because despite being the single most depressing thing I've ever seen, it was still a great story.
Old 2009-02-01, 12:44   Link #38
Snooker
Call me neet.

I hope "Little Busters" will be ridiculous comedy anime cause I 'm enough with tragic
drama anime from "Key".

Last edited by Snooker; 2009-02-01 at 12:55.
Old 2009-02-01, 13:08   Link #39
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker View Post
I hope "Little Busters" will be ridiculous comedy anime cause I 'm enough with tragic
drama anime from "Key".
It's Key. Tragedy always comes to a point or another.
Old 2009-02-01, 13:45   Link #40
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It's Key. Tragedy always comes to a point or another.
True, but I somehow get the impression that LB isn't quite as depressing as Key's other works... But maybe I just think so because the opening theme-song is so upbeat and happy compared to Key's other stuff. But yeah, there'll definitely be more than enough tear-jerking moments in there if they do make a Little Busters-anime... Which I really hope they do, because Key=Awesome.

Tags
studios