Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2010-07-19, 11:32   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
syn's 16:9 wallpaper gallery

Despite the fact that 16:9 has become the dominant aspect ratio for new LCDs in both laptops and desktop displays, nearly 90% of all wallpapers are still available only in 4:3 or 16:10 resolutions.

I quite enjoy making wallpapers, so I figure I'll post my work here for anyone else with 16:9 displays to use.

I also make [static] icons, which I'll occasionally post here as well.

This is not a discussion thread! Feel free to comment on the wallpapers, especially if you intend to use them, but don't fill my thread with offtopic nonsense.
Old 2010-07-19, 11:43   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

souvenirs of another world

I made this wallpaper after seeing a random scan on Google Image Search. I thought it'd make a good wallpaper, but it was a little small and badly-shaped, so I played with it a bit, resizing the image and dropping it over top itself with transparency.

The stone floor didn't extend all the way to the edge of this, so I used a combination of cut, paste, rubber stamp and the healing tool to extend it all the way to the edge. CS5's content-aware fill would have been real handy here.

Anyway I didn't really spend that much time on it, but I think it looks quite nice.

The lyrics on the left side are from the song "Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde" ("Souvenirs of Another World") by the French post-metal band Alcest. Great band, great song, great album. Check them out if you like post-metal, especially if you're into droney-sounding shoegaze like Jesu.

Spoiler for souvenirs of another world - 1600x900:

Edit: Fucking Photobucket resized it. Reupping to tinypic.
Old 2010-08-25, 16:20   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Wallpaper Request

This request was made by RadiantBeam. It is, obviously, a Neon Genesis Evangelion wallpaper of Misato Katsuragi.

It was a little tricky to do; I didn't have good images to work with, and thus the overall resolution is low, but since the requester's native resolution is 1366x768, it'll work out for her.

(Unfortunately this resolution is becoming so common I'm sure lots of people could use this wallpaper, including me...)

Spoiler for misato katsuragi @ 1366x768:
Old 2010-08-26, 12:50   Link #4
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Nice walls
If I were to make a request, would I have to provide said images?
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 22:13   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
Nice walls
If I were to make a request, would I have to provide said images?
Depends on if you wanted specific images to be used. If you do, you would need to supply them and they would need to be a reasonably high resolution.

If you don't want to supply images and want to request a wallpaper, tell me what you want in the wall, I'll do my best to find the necessary images to make it at 1920x1080.
Old 2010-08-28, 04:40   Link #6
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Why do people put text on an image and call it a wallpaper? Genuinely curious, not trying to troll or upset your thread. The vast majority (pretty much all, really) of stuff I see online labelled wallpapers are just pictures with writing on them, whether it's been photoshopped to layer some fancy bits or not. Just wondering what your motivation is.

Finding (larger) images for my site is quite difficult because people often text them, and I have a fairly strict (sans artist sig or non-obnoxious watermarking) no-text rule for my site, and go out of my way to find pictures without it, which on more than the odd occasion makes things much more difficult than they need be.

So yeah, what compels you to do "wallpaper" like this? Never had the opportunity to directly ask someone responsible for these kind of images.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 04:56   Link #7
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Some advice from a GFX PoV: If you are going to add your nick as text, at least make sure the font fits with the image and place it somewhere where it doesn't obstruct the image/annoy the viewer. Such as the Misato one. Push your nick further down to the right, in a smaller size and with a similar font (though at a second glance it is quite similar tbh) to the rest of the text on the wp so it's barely visible, but still there. Otherwise it just looks weird, such as on the first one, where the white color of the text crashes into the rest.

(This goes for any text for that matter, but since I'm not sure if you added the text or just merged the images I can't comment on it.)

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 13:28   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Why do people put text on an image and call it a wallpaper? Genuinely curious, not trying to troll or upset your thread. The vast majority (pretty much all, really) of stuff I see online labelled wallpapers are just pictures with writing on them, whether it's been photoshopped to layer some fancy bits or not. Just wondering what your motivation is.

Finding (larger) images for my site is quite difficult because people often text them, and I have a fairly strict (sans artist sig or non-obnoxious watermarking) no-text rule for my site, and go out of my way to find pictures without it, which on more than the odd occasion makes things much more difficult than they need be.

So yeah, what compels you to do "wallpaper" like this? Never had the opportunity to directly ask someone responsible for these kind of images.
I'm not really sure what you mean. Are you saying that in order to be a wallpaper, it has to be a vector or freehand artwork?

Or just a crop of official promotional artwork in the proper resolution for common displays?

When it comes to making wallpapers, I think it's just about getting elements together that look visually interesting without being overwhelming. I can't just crop official artwork and call it mine, now can I? I take certain images and merge them together, using filters and effects and whatever other tools I can make use of to create something that looks interesting.

I'm still not really sure what you're getting at. With Beamers' request wall, I did a lot more than just slap some text on a picture and call it a day. That's two separate images, resized and manipulated, transparencies tweaked, filters applied, with a bit of text to fill in some blank areas that I felt needed "something" to properly compose.

I'm curious, though. Is it the added elements and the effects/filters that bother you? Would you rather just use unaltered screen captures or cropped promotional artwork? I understand that, because I use those myself in some instances, but cropping an image to fit a 16:9 display doesn't really give much of a creative outlet, now does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Some advice from a GFX PoV: If you are going to add your nick as text, at least make sure the font fits with the image and place it somewhere where it doesn't obstruct the image/annoy the viewer. Such as the Misato one. Push your nick further down to the right, in a smaller size and with a similar font (though at a second glance it is quite similar tbh) to the rest of the text on the wp so it's barely visible, but still there. Otherwise it just looks weird, such as on the first one, where the white color of the text crashes into the rest.

(This goes for any text for that matter, but since I'm not sure if you added the text or just merged the images I can't comment on it.)
It's actually the same font.

I should have made it smaller and parked it lower, but the Windows 7 taskbar is pretty fat, so I didn't really think much of it when I tested it on my own PC.
Old 2010-08-28, 22:58   Link #9
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm still not really sure what you're getting at. With Beamers' request wall, I did a lot more than just slap some text on a picture and call it a day. That's two separate images, resized and manipulated, transparencies tweaked, filters applied, with a bit of text to fill in some blank areas that I felt needed "something" to properly compose.
I know that, and it's fine. Such image processing is fine, with cuts and different pictures being merged in to the one etc, the thing that I abhor is the use of text on top of it. I don't know why the vast majority of "wallpapers" are texted.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 03:52   Link #10
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^I've been wondering that as well. In animepapers.net there are plenty of good wallpapers to use ( Or would be, if not nearly all of them were low res ), but they ALL have text in them. It's like it can't be wallpaper if there's no text ? D:

That Souvenirs from Another World is a nice wallpaper.. but here too, the text feels out of place. Especially because there's so much of it.

Tags
16:9, wallpaper